Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
I think one thing that might help those on team "USA bad therefore no genocide", is that for a number of posters in here (myself included), the primary source of information we've been relying on for what's going on in Xinjiang is not New York Times articles, but accounts from people who have visited our used to live there. I appreciate me saying "I've totally got a friend from Xinjiang who is like the most mild Muslim you'd meet but still had to leave because of the poo poo that was going down" is utterly unpersuasive to anyone who doesn't know me personally (though I do totally have a friend from Xinjiang who is like the most mild Muslim you'd meet but still had to leave because of the poo poo that was going down), and that's why I at least never use it as evidence. But I hope you realize that personal connections like this are why arguments based on criticising western media or the CIA are equally unpersuasive to those who aren't relying on those sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Great news on the Peng Shuai front! She emailed the World Tennis Association, she is fine, just recuperating at her home, and, she assured us, she is not unsafe at all. All that stuff about rape and sexual harassment was totally untrue. Phew, thank goodness about that, couldn’t have wild accusations about a leading politician just run wild.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Smiling Knight posted:

Great news on the Peng Shuai front! She emailed the World Tennis Association, she is fine, just recuperating at her home, and, she assured us, she is not unsafe at all. All that stuff about rape and sexual harassment was totally untrue. Phew, thank goodness about that, couldn’t have wild accusations about a leading politician just run wild.

I thought this was satire but then saw the news. drat, it's like they're deliberately phoning in the coverup to show how little they care.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

Huh so those silos weren't wind/solar farms after all.

That was the weirdest deflection of all. There is obviously a wind farm to the east of the suspected silos, and they don't look alike.

Orange Devil posted:

Then later some attempts at actual evidence started showing up in the papers, rather than just treating the absence of evidence plus secrecy as evidence of their own. Except it was coming primarily from the US government and Adrian Zenz. So much loving poo poo leads back to Zenz, who is obviously and clearly loving insane and very likely lying about everything. I legitimately can not understand how anyone can post anything as a source that is in any way linked to that man, or indeed an organization as insane as the "Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation" about a crime as serious as genocide with a straight face. eSports Chaebol posted shahit.biz for example, where I can go to "Victims --> Primary Evidence" and see "Zenz cache" making up a significant chunk of the evidence being presented. I genuinely ask how I am to take seriously the rest of what is being presented to me side by side with obvious horseshit?

Every time people complain about Zenz as a source, it always goes back to the same character attacks. If he's obviously lying then it should be easy to debunk his work, but his papers pretty heavily cite Chinese government documents and public reports. Are those reports fake? Were they mistranslated? I wouldn't put it past an evangelical neocon to manufacture consent, but nobody's been able to spot anything manufactured on his part.

The only actual error I've seen was a mislabeled x-axis in one of his graphs, which someone pointed out to him on twitter and he immediately corrected.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

If I hypothetically had to persuade someone deep in the Kool-aid, what do you think would be the most compelling evidence from the most reliable (i.e. official Chinese state) sources? As in, what's an example of an official public report that would strongly imply something something bad and abnormal is happening in Xinjiang?

To be clear, I'm not trying to be difficult or confrontational or "just asking questions" or anything, I just want to develop a better understanding of the topic.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

lightrook posted:

If I hypothetically had to persuade someone deep in the Kool-aid, what do you think would be the most compelling evidence from the most reliable (i.e. official Chinese state) sources? As in, what's an example of an official public report that would strongly imply something something bad and abnormal is happening in Xinjiang?

To be clear, I'm not trying to be difficult or confrontational or "just asking questions" or anything, I just want to develop a better understanding of the topic.

The Chinese state resources that Zenz cites haven't been directly disputed. The CCP has also published multiple white papers admitting that they are extrajudicially detaining a huge number of Uyghurs for exhibiting "extremist behavior". These behaviors are incredibly broadly defined by Chinese law and include benign islamic practices such as "spreading religious fanaticism through irregular beards or name selection".

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiberalChinese/comments/nxg01o/only_using_the_public_official_chinese_documents/

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

je1 healthcare posted:

The Chinese state resources that Zenz cites haven't been directly disputed. The CCP has also published multiple white papers admitting that they are extrajudicially detaining a huge number of Uyghurs for exhibiting "extremist behavior". These behaviors are incredibly broadly defined by Chinese law and include benign islamic practices such as "spreading religious fanaticism through irregular beards or name selection".

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiberalChinese/comments/nxg01o/only_using_the_public_official_chinese_documents/

Well then, that's very compelling and also a lot more unambiguous than I expected. Thanks a lot for the help!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
while they probably mean "irregular beards" as "longer beards than the cultural standards of normal people or Han Chinese but I repeat myself", i immediately visualized their deadly crime as clipping one half of their beard shorter than the other half

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

lightrook posted:

Even straight readings of official Chinese announcements and media would make any reasonable person think there is something "bad and abnormal" happening, but I'll assume you mean stronger evidence of state-imposed forced labor, forced assimilation, and (generally the only real divisive term in this thread) genocide.

You're not going to find official Chinese state sources that are explicitly saying "hey here's our plan to genocide and here's our progress report." You can look at plenty of state sources (including news articles about individual arrest cases), but you also can't take them as face value, or you'll quickly be claiming that they're just rounding up dangerous religious extremists and terrorists. I think the correct use of those states sources is as evidence that what is happening is large scale, deliberate, and systematic. Well beyond strongly implying that something bad and abnormal is happening.

There are leaked official documents like the Xinjiang Papers, which led to a Pulitzer nomination for the NYT, and the China Cables, which were published by the ICIJ (of Panama Papers fame). However, anyone deep in the koolaid is going to accept the Chinese government's response that the docs were fabricated and is going to claim that NYT is a Langley operation, that ICIJ reports to the Masters of Atlantis, and that Bill Gates generated the documents using GLP-2. But for normal people, these are even stronger evidence of the deliberate and systematic nature of the mass detentions and re-education. Again, well beyond bad and abnormal. Stanford Law School and Human Rights Watch published an extensive report that provides helpful background, legal analysis, and synthesizes a lot of the evidence as well. But again, if you're talking about someone who thinks HRW is a Soros puppet, then I don't know what to say.

Failing that, you've got satellite evidence and corresponding photo/video evidence that more than implies something bad and abnormal is happening. ASPI has some cool visualizations that can walk you through it. The links on previous pages to the Twitter thread matching satellite footage to video footage are also good. If you're such a skeptic that you don't trust the satellite footage analysis, I guess you can check it yourself. Of course, the buildings aren't going to have "Genocide Shop" written on the roof and doors, but it adds to the growing pile of evidence.

Then you have the eyewitness accounts and testimonies of victims. Orange Devil dismisses the Xinjiang Victims Database because it uses some government sources that were leaked through (?) Adrian Zenz or at least linked to him. As noted in the post above, there's no reason to dismiss these sources. But even if you do exclude them, the Xinjiang Victims Database cites numerous other pieces of evidence that are damning.

So far none of this depends on the "Adrian Zenz cache."

If you don't trust the victims database or any of the articles that analyze the primary sources in detail, then you can assess the sources they cite yourself. It's important to question sources and their motivations, but you also have to consider your own biases when analyzing the raw materials.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

while they probably mean "irregular beards" as "longer beards than the cultural standards of normal people or Han Chinese but I repeat myself", i immediately visualized their deadly crime as clipping one half of their beard shorter than the other half

Maybe they mean patchy beards, which I think we can all agree are a crime against humanity.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've been getting a bunch of video recommendations lately about how new construction in China is falling apart. how substantial is this and what should I avoid when looking for it?

I am pretty sure a lot of it is controlled demolition. This still sucks for new construction but is a far cry from a new building collapsing and killing a bunch of people.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I've been getting a bunch of video recommendations lately about how new construction in China is falling apart. how substantial is this and what should I avoid when looking for it?

I am pretty sure a lot of it is controlled demolition. This still sucks for new construction but is a far cry from a new building collapsing and killing a bunch of people.

China is such a big country that the variation between region to region or city to city makes me thing you will need local knowledge.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There was this Chinese web novel I was reading and thought it noteworthy when the main character off handedly mentioned needing to carefully compare the house they were buying with the blueprints to make sure there wasn't any funny business like the rooms being smaller than they were supposed to be, or lower ceilings etc. So it might be pretty prevalent when it seems to be a meme.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

As far as I know from the news, lots of BIG unfinished residential buildings ended up on the government hands after the owning company kicked the bucket (real state in China seems to be going through a weird phase), and the government decided they weren't going to have useless badly built poo poo already cracked and damaged by rain lying around.

I'm no expert on anything China related, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Orange Devil posted:

So I want to address this in the hopes you understand where I am actually coming from.

Firstly, I do not want to be in the position of denying an actual genocide. I've been reading veraciously about the second world war since I was 8. I've visited Auschwitz-Birkenau. I've gotten in arguments with Turkish colleagues about the Armenian genocide and the Greco-Turkish population exchange. I say this because I'm trying to communicate that I take the crime of genocide seriously. So why am I even asking questions about Xinjiang?

Because I do not trust at all the people and organizations who are telling me about what is happening to the Uyghur people. A very large part of this narrative is being pushed by the US government for clear geopolitical reasons. I do not believe for a second anyone in any place of power in the US government actually gives a poo poo about the human rights of anyone really, let alone the Uyghur people. I believe the US government is entirely capable of lying about and manufacturing "evidence" whole-cloth about even a crime as serious as genocide.

So a few years back in a very rapid fashion we went, at least in the media I was reading, from China being accused of genocide to it being commonly accepted knowledge that China was committing genocide. The evidence then was mainly the absence of transparency on the part of China (which is bad) and that being extrapolated to "they must be hiding something" and from there to "the only thing they could be hiding is genocide". Which has "Saddam is hiding WMD's" parallels written all over it. Though Saddam actually was transparent and let in the weapons inspectors and it still didn't matter at all because the lies kept coming, followed by an aggressive war, followed by a cornucopia of other war crimes, crimes against humanity and so much goddamn death and suffering. A high-school classmate of mine was a refugee from Iraq and her family decided to go back in 2004. A bunch of my co-workers are veterans who have been in Iraq and been involved in hosed up poo poo we have talked about. All due to those lies. I have family and neighbours in the Dutch navy and air force currently. My point here is that this is not a theoretical internet-argument exercise for me.

Then later some attempts at actual evidence started showing up in the papers, rather than just treating the absence of evidence plus secrecy as evidence of their own. Except it was coming primarily from the US government and Adrian Zenz. So much loving poo poo leads back to Zenz, who is obviously and clearly loving insane and very likely lying about everything. I legitimately can not understand how anyone can post anything as a source that is in any way linked to that man, or indeed an organization as insane as the "Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation" about a crime as serious as genocide with a straight face. eSports Chaebol posted shahit.biz for example, where I can go to "Victims --> Primary Evidence" and see "Zenz cache" making up a significant chunk of the evidence being presented. I genuinely ask how I am to take seriously the rest of what is being presented to me side by side with obvious horseshit?

These same papers I was reading, by the way, went from printing about China every now and then to eventually printing a negative story about China near daily. Including lots of stories about how draconic, totalitarian and evil their covid policies are, even though they seem like one of the only countries in the world with a sane covid policy to me. My government for reference, is doing the absolutele minimum and have caused many thousands of excess deaths and the slow collapse of our healthcare system as a result. Even stories which you'd think would be neutral or positive are printed with a negative spin, usually heavily resting on implications. One of those is the now generally accepted knowledge that China is committing genocide on the Uyghurs. It's helpful that this is now generally accepted, because it means papers can print this or allude to it without printing any evidence in whatever article they bring it up in. Again this kind of increase in negative coverage across mainstream media reminds me of the buildup to war I've already lived through. Not that I think there will be a literal conventional war between China and the US, but I still can't escape the feeling that something bad might go down and our consent for whatever that might be is being manufactured.

It helps that I can and do discuss these stories with Chinese people living in my country. Including those who explicitly are not fans of the Chinese government because they learned, after moving out of China, that their government has lied to them during their entire education about what the western world is like. This provides me with helpful context and different perspectives I would not otherwise have. This regularly puts what a newspaper is writing, or the sinister tone they write it in, in an entirely different perspective. And before you ask, none of them believe it is impossible the Chinese government could be committing genocide on the Uyghur people.

Having said all that, I also want to be clear that I do not trust the Chinese government either. I don't trust states in general. It is certainly not outside the realm of possibility that the Chinese government is deliberately committing genocide. It wouldn't even be particularly shocking, in the grand scheme of history. But I've seen so incredibly much absolutely garbage evidence and utterly lovely reasoning and argumentation (including in this thread) for this position that I have grown suspicious.

And lastly I have unfortunately seen people try to defend Guantanamo and US torture and the Iraq invasion and so much other heinous bullshit the US gets up to all too often on this very forum. Though some of those at least not recently, fortunately.

The main people on this forum who have any interest in this have nothing to do with the US, the US media, don't like the US (who by the way is also pretty good at killing Muslims, just as China is) and have talked with real life Uyghur people.

You are loving blind and deaf, you and your ideology superfriends on this forum.
Times and times again you get told that the people have no pro US agenda, because that would be ridiculous. But gosh darn you gonna post the same garbage again, minimizing suffering and genuine concern for literally the most repressed cultural and social group on the loving planet. And you think we are all the CIA.

You are either trolling, in which case fine, or you are so caught up in your US/Capitalism vs. XYZ ideology your brain is physically not registering the texts indicating that tons and tons of people on this forum have time and time again believably told you that they are no friends of the US and simply do not care about anything else in this thread than China loving genociding people.
And then there is probably a good overlap of people who care about Uyghurs, for which YOU telling THEM that the US did nefarious poo poo to Muslims in the ME is - if at all - a total mockery.

Can you really not see how infuriating this is?

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 18, 2021

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What the Chinese call "tofu dreg projects" (usually some combination of fake concrete, bamboo instead of rebar, cheap low grade steel etc) are endemic in small scale construction and basically unheard of in major capital projects. Think of it as a sliding scale of fraud, where every sidewalk in tier-three Henan is going to be made of cardboard and tissue paper, while the high speed railways and airports etc are made of world class materials and perfectly engineered. Pretty standard stuff for a gigantic and complicated country growing super fast, tbh.

The real issue is that it crept into residential construction in the last ~5 years during the property bubble's heyday, and so you see a lot of social media posts from people who just moved into their new apartment and discovered the door is made of paper, or the ceiling "concrete" is cheap plaster that breaks apart. The biggest is probably the cheap siding that flies off in windy conditions that seem to have been installed on every building in the country, but I wouldn't exactly call it a national crisis.

TL;dr tofu dreg projects are common but not really lethal. More of a sign of rampant malinvestment and corruption by local officials in some areas than a national infrastructure crisis like America has lol

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Can you really not see how infuriating this is?

You answered your own question. He is here to troll. There is literally no value in engaging with this poo poo. Hence why I stopped bothering to post as it all goes around in a circle till everyone gets tired of retreading the same ground over and over.

He is on record saying that the current world order is so poo poo that any alternative would do - even China no matter what it may or may not have done.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean when you have to post a manifesto about your struggle not to deny genocides then you are either trolling or you need to step away from the computer and go for some long walks somewhere green.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
In interesting: https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3155920/chinas-internet-police-losing-man-versus-machine-duel-social

quote:

Automated social media accounts engaging in political discussions are stretching China’s internet police to the limit, a new study has found.

These social media bots are difficult to identify because they use artificial intelligence technology to mimic human language and online behaviour. Often working in groups, they are able to generate and spread a huge amount of information within a short time.

And these accounts are overpowering state censors, because “humans get tired easily, [and] cannot endure a sustained fight,” according to Shao Lei, associate professor of digital investigation with the Sichuan Police College.

“As countries around the world use information technology as a means of power integration and social control, the scale of false information dissemination and propaganda is larger than ever,” lead investigator Shao and his colleagues said in a paper published in the domestic peer-reviewed Journal of Intelligence last week.

Their suggested solutions? Raising a counter-army of bot accounts, or even AI-driven public opinion leaders.

This comes as, starting early last year, China’s internet police began to detect an unusual increase in posts with negative views on the government on the country’s largest social media platforms, WeChat and Weibo.

These posts efficiently dodged machine censors with various new tactics, such as replacing sensitive words with verbal or graphic symbols popular among young users. Investigations traced these posts to a large number of accounts controlled by robots, the paper revealed.

Social bots had been around globally for years, but within China’s Great Firewall, they mostly engaged in non-political activities such as marketing. Their involvement now in political affairs has put the Chinese authorities on high alert.

Moreover, further investigations suggested the funding and operation of these accounts were linked to some overseas political forces.

“They posed a serious threat to China’s national security,” Shao said in the study, without naming the governments involved.

Most of these social bots were registered with a business ID to get through the official vetting process.

For instance, hundreds of social media accounts could be created using the address of a small grocery store.

The cover is necessary because China has imposed some of the world’s strictest regulations on social media. A user must submit proof of identity as a person or social entity to open a social media account, and take full responsibility for what they say online.

But personal information or sensitive details of business registration can be bought on the black market and used to create fake accounts on social media platforms.

Such leaked information is used often by criminal organisations overseas to commit telecoms fraud. But some buyers may also be agents of foreign governments hostile to China. Operating under the legal cover of a small business, they are difficult and costly to detect.

Though both Twitter and Facebook are banned in China, authorities are closely monitoring activities on these social media platforms, especially during elections, political riots or social unrest, which is when bots become most active.

The government should adopt more aggressive countermeasures, such as building an army of counter-robots, Shao and his team of police researchers suggested.

These machines could be planted in every subcultural group to learn their language and mount an attack upon detecting the presence of a possible social bot controlled by other countries, they said.

The government could even create an artificial public opinion leader.

“The leading robot would have the ability to evolve continuously and attract a large number of real human fans to establish a relationship of mutual trust, and use the influence to deliver information with positive energy during a crisis,” the paper said.

now there's manufacturing consent for ya

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
We should be funding bots like that, that's fantastic.

e: maybe we are :tinfoil:

How are u fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 18, 2021

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

How are u posted:

Perhaps you are such a bot.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

How are u posted:

I have no proof but I feel that it is likely everybody is botting everyone else and this now simply the normal state of affairs

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

fool of sound posted:

Can bots purchase :10bux: accounts?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

fool of sound posted:

I am not a number, I am a free man!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I post, therefore I am

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1461300604400283652?t=l5d0nGmmhc5vs4fOUYlksQ&s=19

Anyone have a bit more details on the story? Interesting to see a government actually taking money AWAY from corporations instead of giving it to them.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Phone posting, but got alonger article

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...ow/87781747.cms

quote:

said on Thursday that its profit for the most recent quarter tumbled 81 percent as a government crackdown on the country's big tech champions bit into its bottom line. 

Alibaba said its profit came in at 5.37 billion yuan ($833 million) for the July-September period, falling from 28.77 billion yuan earned over the same stretch last year.

The Hangzhou-based company's revenues, generated mainly by its core e-commerce operations, reached 200.7 billion yuan, up 29 percent, roughly in line with previous years' growth rates.
Alibaba's earnings results have been keenly anticipated for a gauge of how one of the country's highest-profile companies was faring under the government's drive to rein in big tech.

China's ruling Communist Party had previously relied upon its tech giants to push forward digital transformation in the country.

But it abruptly turned on the sector late last year as concerns mounted over its aggressive expansion, alleged monopolistic practices, and data security — paralleling similar unease with tech firms in the 

United States and elsewhere.

Alibaba was the first to feel the wrath. Last year the government scuppered what would have been a world-record stock IPO by Alibaba's financial arm, 

Ant Group, and in April fined Alibaba a record $2.78 billion for anti-competitive practices.

Since then, the government has taken a number of other measures against major Chinese digital players, sending their share prices tumbling

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Anyone have a bit more details on the story? Interesting to see a government actually taking money AWAY from corporations instead of giving it to them.

I think the fine levied against Alibaba and even more significantly the snuffing of the Ant Finance IPO were more representative of taking money away than the lower profits this quarter. Some of the fall in profits could be attributed to the market, and revenue still grew a lot. Canceling the Ant Finance IPO very directly prevented many people from becoming billionaires (or adding billions to their already existing billions). They'll probably still find a way to make a poo poo ton of money out of it, but alas.

That said, Alibaba (and other tech companies) do seem to be responding to the government's interventions and adopting a lot of the 'common prosperity' campaign language. The Singles Day sales this year used a lot more language about sustainability, inclusiveness, charity, etc., even though they're still just selling widgets. In the past it was much more about a horse race to buy buy buy and break previous records (which was always kinda weird anyway, because why would a consumer be motivated to help a company break a sales record?).

I could be wrong, but it does feel like consumer tech, entertainment, and education are the only industries being targeted. It's fine they're being targeted — basically every industry everywhere could use some significant improvement — but there are plenty of other industries that I would prioritize for reform before them.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Franks Happy Place posted:

What the Chinese call "tofu dreg projects" (usually some combination of fake concrete, bamboo instead of rebar, cheap low grade steel etc) are endemic in small scale construction and basically unheard of in major capital projects. Think of it as a sliding scale of fraud, where every sidewalk in tier-three Henan is going to be made of cardboard and tissue paper, while the high speed railways and airports etc are made of world class materials and perfectly engineered. Pretty standard stuff for a gigantic and complicated country growing super fast, tbh.

The real issue is that it crept into residential construction in the last ~5 years during the property bubble's heyday, and so you see a lot of social media posts from people who just moved into their new apartment and discovered the door is made of paper, or the ceiling "concrete" is cheap plaster that breaks apart. The biggest is probably the cheap siding that flies off in windy conditions that seem to have been installed on every building in the country, but I wouldn't exactly call it a national crisis.

TL;dr tofu dreg projects are common but not really lethal. More of a sign of rampant malinvestment and corruption by local officials in some areas than a national infrastructure crisis like America has lol

Oh, they also have luxury apartments.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Smeef posted:

I think the fine levied against Alibaba and even more significantly the snuffing of the Ant Finance IPO were more representative of taking money away than the lower profits this quarter. Some of the fall in profits could be attributed to the market, and revenue still grew a lot. Canceling the Ant Finance IPO very directly prevented many people from becoming billionaires (or adding billions to their already existing billions). They'll probably still find a way to make a poo poo ton of money out of it, but alas.

That said, Alibaba (and other tech companies) do seem to be responding to the government's interventions and adopting a lot of the 'common prosperity' campaign language. The Singles Day sales this year used a lot more language about sustainability, inclusiveness, charity, etc., even though they're still just selling widgets. In the past it was much more about a horse race to buy buy buy and break previous records (which was always kinda weird anyway, because why would a consumer be motivated to help a company break a sales record?).

I could be wrong, but it does feel like consumer tech, entertainment, and education are the only industries being targeted. It's fine they're being targeted — basically every industry everywhere could use some significant improvement — but there are plenty of other industries that I would prioritize for reform before them.
I think you're right, they really have clamped down of the tech field especially.

Tech is a huge field including some of the largest companies in the world: Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Google (FANG). All of who's wealth is relatively new. Tech is both the source of new profits and an immensely influential field out for hire. So if you want to stop capital growth and the next Trump, you have to squeeze that poo poo down.

Edit: forgot Netflix

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 19, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So I expect this'll make the thread explode, but it's China news, so:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CNN/status/1461512311814905860

Which I'll be honest, I'm not really sure what the current administration's general stance on the PRC is, whether they're most concerned over human rights abuses, PRC aggressiveness towards Taiwan, or even if it's about economic protectionism. So far as I know, we still have a lot of the Trump tariffs in place.

This isn't the US gearing up to WW3. Just worth saying. A lot of steps between a symbolic gesture at a sports thing and war.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I think you're right, they really have clamped down of the tech field especially.

Tech is a huge field including some of the largest companies in the world: Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Google (FANG). All of who's wealth is relatively new. Tech is both the source of new profits and an immensely influential field out for hire. So if you want to stop capital growth and the next Trump, you have to squeeze that poo poo down.

Edit: forgot Netflix

I don't think you can prevent a real estate guy hitting it big on reality TV by attacking big tech.

Although the goals of "take money away from big tech businesses to keep them from becoming too powerful" and "punish noncompetitive practices so more companies can flourish instead of one corporation taking hold of everything" seem pretty distinct from eachother, so I'm not sure which way they'll go.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

So I expect this'll make the thread explode, but it's China news, so:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CNN/status/1461512311814905860

Which I'll be honest, I'm not really sure what the current administration's general stance on the PRC is, whether they're most concerned over human rights abuses, PRC aggressiveness towards Taiwan, or even if it's about economic protectionism. So far as I know, we still have a lot of the Trump tariffs in place.

This isn't the US gearing up to WW3. Just worth saying. A lot of steps between a symbolic gesture at a sports thing and war.
When the US and Russia boycotted each other's olympics in the 80s they were not preludes to war. This is a prestige damage tactic to tell the world China's not to be trusted (especially you EU!)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
a diplomatic boycott is pretty much nothing but a wet fart, attempting to make a stand without actually doing something substantive.

so its very on brand for america

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Smeef posted:

depends what 'tech'; Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corp is reporting record profit...

on how Chinese tech people think, I think Lillian Li or Gavekal's Dan Wang are worth reading (even if they're both transparently apologists, which is obligatory in their position, you can read between the lines to see how the thinking shifts)

https://twitter.com/lillianmli/status/1418939820764581888?s=19

note that just prior she was instead praising this trend - this is a party weathervane (again, obligatory for someone in her position)

https://twitter.com/lillianmli/status/1395735848977682435

Or Wang in 2019, foreshadowing a little:

quote:

https://danwang.co/2019-letter/

...Consider first the internet companies. I find it bizarre that the world has decided that consumer internet is the highest form of technology. It’s not obvious to me that apps like WeChat, Facebook, or Snap are doing the most important work pushing forward our technologically-accelerating civilization. To me, it’s entirely plausible that Facebook and Tencent might be net-negative for technological developments. The apps they develop offer fun, productivity-dragging distractions; and the companies pull smart kids from R&D-intensive fields like materials science or semiconductor manufacturing, into ad optimization and game development.

The internet companies in San Francisco and Beijing are highly skilled at business model innovation and leveraging network effects, not necessarily R&D and the creation of new IP. (That’s why, I think, that the companies in Beijing work so hard. Since no one has any real, defensible IP, the only path to success is to brutally outwork the competition.) I wish we would drop the notion that China is leading in technology because it has a vibrant consumer internet. A large population of people who play games, buy household goods online, and order food delivery does not make a country a technological or scientific leader.

Although Alibaba and Tencent may be technically impressive on software development, their business success is mostly a function of the size of the market as well as the social and regulatory environment. The ubiquity of mobile payments is the result not just of technological innovation (substantial though that might be), but also the financial regulatory regime and the leapfrog over credit cards. Ecommerce works great because China has built first-rate infrastructure and because many migrant workers are available to deliver goods in dense urban areas. These are fine companies, but in my view, the milestones of our technological civilization ought to be found in scientific and industrial achievements instead. Now even if one did want to consider consumer internet the be the most important sector, the US still looks good. A rough rule-of-thumb comparison: market caps of the five biggest US tech companies (Apple, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, and Facebook) add up to US$5tn at the time of this writing, while the two Chinese internet giants (Alibaba and Tencent) add up to US$1tn. This 5:1 advantage to the US feels intuitively right to me as a measure of relative capabilities.

As a tangent, I’ve found it curious that Congress has become so keen to publicly beat up on Facebook and Google while the US considers itself in technological competition with China. In my view, antitrust arguments apply better to companies like Intel and Boeing, which are the tech giants that wield much greater market power. Maybe the contrarian move however is to recognize the cleverness of Congress. The legislators might in fact understand that semiconductors and jet engines are a core strategic asset, in a way that social networks and search engines are not. Therefore Congress is actually exercising a judicious use of political power to bully cash-rich companies to do more on innovation, or at least employment.

(it is true, I feel, that Chinese e-commerce overinvests in its storefront experience relative to the hard stuff of logistics and warehousing, but my own interpretation is that it's a reflection of the immaturity of the industry and the rapid evolution in its consumer space. Eventually the industry matures, discoverability is no longer a premium, and price discrimination is no longer an effective profit driver relative to logistical infrastructure domination. Amazon today no longer invests so heavily in its storefront as it once did in the 2000s, either. JD.com is the future, not Alibaba, so to speak. )

Underpinning this all is a gamble that the future of tech lies in doubling down on industrial tech rather than consumer tech, so to speak. We can spin elaborate theories on how consumer tech potentially challenges Party control (despite more than a decade of Party initiative toward leveraging it for control... clearly something or someone was wrong there) or how it's actually all about indicative industrial policy and rational 5yp allocation of capital, but one can't help but wonder whether it's not just the traditional communist bias toward steel intermediates given a new coat of paint (that old obsession with measuring industrial progress through quantities of rolled steel rather than any consumer good output, despite multiple attempts to promote Soviet consumer good production as stagnation set in. Ahem). It's also flatly in tension with the China's simultaneous campaign to promote the 'dual circulation' (i.e. to increase the domestic consumption share of output).

There is plenty of precedent for Xi's ambitious programmes to be quietly called off a couple years later when the contradictions become evident: https://archive.md/HBgjQ

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Grouchio posted:

When the US and Russia boycotted each other's olympics in the 80s they were not preludes to war. This is a prestige damage tactic to tell the world China's not to be trusted (especially you EU!)

really, because it seems like empty posturing. who in the EU is gonna go "oh poo poo, NOW its serious" over this, lmao

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug
The US kinda sucks at the Winter Olympics anyway so their absence probably won't even be noticed.

The Beijing Olympics have the potential to be either insane and amazing or absolutely horrendous. Just so many wild cards. I hope we can some footage of local skiers barreling down the slopes wearing nightlife clothes and smoking cigs.

If Russia can slip their turbo-doped and covid-saturated athletes in, they will dominate. Otherwise Norway (pop. 5.4 million) should be waltzing across the finish line.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just don't expect winter tennis.

(sourced from the GBS thread)

https://twitter.com/CGTNOfficial/status/1461025491842916358

https://twitter.com/SheenaGreitens/status/1461149205335003138?s=20

https://twitter.com/WTA/status/1461418624858607616?s=20

Awaiting the inevitable "being upset we're disappearing people hurts the feelings of the Chinese people."

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The US not showing up to the Winter Olympics would be a tremendous political L. The only thing that makes the Olympics relevant is that rival countries can peacefully compete. It's a way to build that patriotic psychosis through a nonviolent outlet, and at this point the States are running on patriotic fumes. They need some excuse for people to support the government, nationalism has always been the treatment for crisis.

On a purely material wave length, they'd be leaving a lot of money on the table. I believe that Comcast has exclusive broadcasting rights in the US (hilarious) and they've got their fingers so deep into the federal government their wrists are red white and blue. There's no way the USA won't be there. It's all bluster.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Megillah Gorilla posted:

(sourced from the GBS thread)

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
With Peng Shuai it's like the chinese government acting a stereotype invented for it. predictable template style authoritarian villainy, like saudi royals deleting victims of misbehaving playboy heirs who dare speak up about their mistreatment, because the cycle terminates in 'the party exists for the party and the core impulse is the violent suppression of any criticism or dissent'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
The important question to ask here that you CIA stooges haven't considered -- what if the intent of disappearing her was good, just poorly implemented?