Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Part of the problem with doing one about Islam is that most of the relics of Islam are still accounted for. So it would be hard to find something of importance to Islam that the Grail has to Christianity without coming back to the fact that it's just in a museum in Turkey/Syria/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DStecks posted:

Yeah. Inserting Ancient Alien themes into something supposed to be based on media from the 50's is incredibly anachronistic. It wasn't remotely on the pop cultural radar until Chariots of the Gods was published, and that was in 1968.

It's Chariots of the Gods?

I am um actuallying you because I will never cease finding that question mark in the title amusing. When people say it, they should pronounce it with an upward inflection in their voice

Chariots of the Gods?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Paladin posted:

The most annoying thing to me about Crystal Skull is that, in the mediocre tomb raider rip off "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine," it APPEARS that they've just replaced Nazis with Soviets, but in the end it turns out that the American CIA handler is the real mega-rear end in a top hat of the story. The Soviet scientist is a scientist who, like Indy, just wants to know more about the world.

So, a mid-tier video game had a more nuanced, interesting take on the cold war than Crystal Skull. That's the first problem.

That's the one thing I thought was pretty interesting when I watched the ending (I owned the game a long time ago, but I never finished it, and I watched the rest of it on YouTube). On the other hand, you probably shoot around a hundred Soviet soldiers throughout the game, but I guess they're cool with it in the end.

The other thing about Infernal Machine was that, in relation to the Cthulhu/Lovecraft observation, Infernal Machine kind of hits closer to the 'weird fiction' style that meshes a bit better with the adventure serial theme. You're collecting parts of the titular Infernal Machine, and it's neat because while they're parts for a machine that transports you to another dimension where you fight Marduk, they're still presented as holy, arcane relics of an ancient civilization. It's rooted in religious or mythological elements, but there's a sci-fi bent to it.

If anything, Infernal Machine was fun because there was cheat code that changed Indy's model to Guybrush Threepwood, and it was fun to run around like that shooting a rocket launcher.

EDIT: Atlantis: The Lost Empire was also a film (albeit an animated film) that mixed the Indiana Jones style with science-fiction to an extent, and worked better than Crystal Skull did (though I haven't seen that movie in a long time).

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 20, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bar Crow posted:

What's the point if they don't contain vodka?

Don't mess with Mr. bee double oh zee eee

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Wasn't Indiana Jones suppose to be Tintin but the execs didn't think anyone in America would know who Tintin was so they changed it? At least that was the implication in the Tintin 2011 making of documentary. Either which way they need to make another Tintin movie so long as it doesn't involve the Congo (or aliens).

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Actually, it started as an adaptation of Carl Barks's Scrooge McDuck comics, but execs didn't like the live-action duck suits in the test footage.

Wrageowrapper posted:

Either which way they need to make another Tintin movie so long as it doesn't involve the Congo (or aliens).

But they should make it super-political, since they went out of their way to avoid the political content of the original comics aside from a few background allusions to the comics.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 20, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Crystal Skull is better than Temple of Doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L28mNl-wg54

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

UM ACTUALLY Lovecraft hated games, he was sad his "mythos" (he called it his Yog-Sothothery) was what his fans liked, and he had a very active social circle of dedicated fans. He wasn't unpopular. That's a misconception. He was prolific and quite popular... in the pulps. That was why he made no money. Pulp authors weren't paid well. But Lovecraft wasn't obscure he just wasn't looked at as Literature until the Library of America added him.

Lovecraft largely went unforgotten because his contemporaries that outlasted him kept his estate active. August Derleth published a lot of his work posthumously, and made the mythos more expansive, which HPL likely would have hated. (Despite what he did for the legacy, Derleth was kind of a joke.)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

failing forward posted:

He wasn't unpopular. That's a misconception. He was prolific and quite popular... in the pulps.

That... counts as unpopular. Like, "popular" means something.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

I just mean it wasn't like people didn't know about him. I suppose I could say he was well-known but not popular. That's probably more accurate. I just get mildly perturbed when people say HPL was like TOTALLY obscure because he wasn't he was just lame.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

I mean he was popular in the way Tom Clancy is popular before being that sort of popular made money.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Lovecraft and Tolkien's works (The Hobbit is Tolkien's exception) are extremely boring and agonizing to read.

I'm just going to babble on and let you fill in the blanks with what ever. Hmm how do I finish this story? Eeeh whatever *print*. Lol these dumb nig.. Eh I mean Fish people are ruining everything. *spends all of his money on hot garbage*.

I'm just going to explain every detail of the grass straw this elf stepped on.

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 21, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sarcopenia posted:

Lovecraft and Tolkien's works (The Hobbit is Tolkien's exception) are extremely boring and agonizing to read.

I'm just going to babble on and let you fill in the blanks with what ever. Hmm how do I finish this story? Eeeh whatever *print*. Lol these dumb nig.. Eh I mean Fish people are ruining everything. *spends all of his money on hot garbage*.

"Oh, this horrible thing is about to happen. It's so horrible, I can't even talk about it right now. But it's coming! Oh yes!" * 2000 is most of At the Mountains of Madness. I mean, aside from that it's interesting world-building, but come on.

The Dream Cycle is cool, though. There you find out that Lovecraft reaaalllly loved cats. :3:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLP-P0_VSVc

:stare:

Huh...

wow...

Uh...

drat..

Sometimes Youtube's recommendation's are the abyss. :dogbutton:

Edit: ANd yet, yesterday this was not the weirdest thing I saw.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 21, 2017

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sarcopenia posted:

Pictured: A vague and unsatisfying description

quote:

“Objects are eight feet long all over. Six-foot five-ridged barrel torso 3.5 feet central diameter, 1 foot end diameters. Dark grey, flexible, and infinitely tough. Seven-foot membraneous wings of same colour, found folded, spread out of furrows between ridges. Wing framework tubular or glandular, of lighter grey, with orifices at wing tips. Spread wings have serrated edge. Around equator, one at central apex of each of the five vertical, stave-like ridges, are five systems of light grey flexible arms or tentacles found tightly folded to torso but expansible to maximum length of over 3 feet. Like arms of primitive crinoid. Single stalks 3 inches diameter branch after 6 inches into five sub-stalks, each of which branches after 8 inches into five small, tapering tentacles or tendrils, giving each stalk a total of 25 tentacles.
“At top of torso blunt bulbous neck of lighter grey with gill-like suggestions holds yellowish five-pointed starfish-shaped apparent head covered with three-inch wiry cilia of various prismatic colours. Head thick and puffy, about 2 feet point to point, with three-inch flexible yellowish tubes projecting from each point. Slit in exact centre of top probably breathing aperture. At end of each tube is spherical expansion where yellowish membrane rolls back on handling to reveal glassy, red-irised globe, evidently an eye. Five slightly longer reddish tubes start from inner angles of starfish-shaped head and end in sac-like swellings of same colour which upon pressure open to bell-shaped orifices 2 inches maximum diameter and lined with sharp white tooth-like projections. Probable mouths. All these tubes, cilia, and points of starfish-head found folded tightly down; tubes and points clinging to bulbous neck and torso. Flexibility surprising despite vast toughness.
“At bottom of torso rough but dissimilarly functioning counterparts of head arrangements exist. Bulbous light-grey pseudo-neck, without gill suggestions, holds greenish five-pointed starfish-arrangement. Tough, muscular arms 4 feet long and tapering from 7 inches diameter at base to about 2.5 at point. To each point is attached small end of a greenish five-veined membraneous triangle 8 inches long and 6 wide at farther end. This is the paddle, fin, or pseudo-foot which has made prints in rocks from a thousand million to fifty or sixty million years old. From inner angles of starfish-arrangement project two-foot reddish tubes tapering from 3 inches diameter at base to 1 at tip. Orifices at tips. All these parts infinitely tough and leathery, but extremely flexible. Four-foot arms with paddles undoubtedly used for locomotion of some sort, marine or otherwise. When moved, display suggestions of exaggerated muscularity. As found, all these projections tightly folded over pseudo-neck and end of torso, corresponding to projections at other end.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

I wanna be clear I do not think HPL's writing is/was lame. HPL himself was lame. I actually like his writing, but comparing him to Tolkien is wrong and weird. Wtf they are not even remotely similar, and LotR is a good book.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

BigRed0427 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLP-P0_VSVc

:stare:

Huh...

wow...

Uh...

drat..

Sometimes Youtube's recommendation's are the abyss. :dogbutton:

Edit: ANd yet, yesterday this was not the weirdest thing I saw.

Caddicarus also put up a video related to this subject a little over a month ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVja3Py2HGY

Honestly, from the examples shown in both videos, half of the videos come off more bizarre then disturbing. If anything, it's more like extremely tame versions of the kind of parody stuff you used to see on Newgrounds.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 21, 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I remember watching a HPL documentary on youtube and it was funny how much Neil Gaiman pissed off the comments because he talked about how antiquated and obtuse HPL's writings were (especially his early work)

Its a pretty good documentary too with John Carpenter, Scott Gordon, and Del Toro in it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg9VCf5einY

HPL just seemed like a victim of growing up under that Puritan lifestyle/work ethic; but gently caress him he was a huge loving racist

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 21, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

failing forward posted:

I wanna be clear I do not think HPL's writing is/was lame.

Why would anyone feel the need to back down from this? Lovecraft's writing is bad. That's why he's a nerd icon.

failing forward posted:

LotR is a good book.

http://www.revolutionsf.com/article.php?id=953

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I feel like HPL is great if you're into weird spoopy poo poo to the point that you'll tolerate the verbose style and/or the racism casually tossed in here and there. You just have to already be willing to pick up what he's putting down.

I'm fond of his stories (aside from aforementioned racist junk) but then I legit find Dracula and the Scarlet Pimpernel to be fun reads, so my threshold for old fashioned :words: is pretty high.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm the weirdo who likes Lovecraft's Dreamlands stuff, even if it isn't exactly great.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Puppy Time posted:

I'm fond of his stories (aside from aforementioned racist junk) but then I legit find Dracula and the Scarlet Pimpernel to be fun reads, so my threshold for old fashioned :words: is pretty high.

Have you considered Thackeray, Dickens, Eliot, Joyce, Conrad, etc?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Caddicarus also put up a video related to this subject a little over a month ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVja3Py2HGY

Honestly, from the examples shown in both videos, half of the videos come off more bizarre then disturbing. If anything, it's more like extremely tame versions of the kind of parody stuff you used to see on Newgrounds.

The Retsupuraes on these videos are somewhat better about this since it's just an outright riff on how weird these toons are and how its part managed thru extreme SEO managing rather than "today's cartoons are awful!!! Fu-ckin-g Cli-ck-Baait" and being far more bothered that its clickbait rather than the objectionable stuff on it. And they were prompted by how most likely they're found, with Slowbeef noticing his daughter watching one and joting on how said channels were more quickly verified due to the sheer bulk of viewership (thru bots and kids randomly searching for kids toons) than other channels doing more legit stuff. Also, they're actually funny.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Not sure if it's relevant to Tolkien and Lovecrafts times but old pulp sci fi writers were paid by the page.

I did read a great article about it once but blowed if I can find it now. I do remember one of the examples though as I tracked the book down.

Here is an excerpt from Atomic Nemesis by Karl Ziegfried as the hero meets a superinteligent shade of the colour blue:

quote:

There was a faint click and soft illumination flooded into the room from the luminopanel beside the bed. Starkey thought that he detected a faint blueness in the atmosphere. It was just a suspicion of blue. It was the ghost of blueness;

It goes on for quite a bit before Starkey concluded that the alien is indeed blue.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Moorcock was a good writer, but he was a literary partisan concerned with making His People (the English New Wave) win and everybody else lose. He admits to not reading the books in Epic Pooh.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
nothing to do with anything, just wanted to say that folding idea's airbender video is so good

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I have those Barnes & Noble Lovecraft collections and all the stories begin with a brief paragraph of the history of it. A lot of them have Lovecraft calling the story junk. He does prattle on in a lot of his tales, but I like more than a few of them.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Jimbot posted:

I have those Barnes & Noble Lovecraft collections and all the stories begin with a brief paragraph of the history of it. A lot of them have Lovecraft calling the story junk. He does prattle on in a lot of his tales, but I like more than a few of them.
The guy had a lot of self esteem issues, its also the reason why he always undersold himself when he could have made money instead of living off dog food and cold beans.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sounds about right for a terrible racist. Passing off personal failures on to people who are different. You just drat well know if he were alive today he'd be pulling in 40-50k a year on patreon. Not because of his horror stories, but because of his political views.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

The guy had a lot of self esteem issues, its also the reason why he always undersold himself when he could have made money instead of living off dog food and cold beans.

That’s a condition a lot of creative people tend to suffer from, unfortunately. The talented or dedicated ones are always noticing mistakes in their own work, which results in them constantly striving to improve it. It’s kind of like a reverse Dunning-Krueger effect.

My first exposure to Lovecraft wasn't actually the books themselves, but the game Shadow Hearts on the ps1. It's not a direct adaptation, but it does take inspiration from the setting and name-drops a lot of concepts from it. It's let down by a bad translation and terrible voice acting, but the sequels fix both of those and I'd say they're all some of the best, yet most overlooked RPGs of the era.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm the weirdo who likes Lovecraft's Dreamlands stuff, even if it isn't exactly great.

How is a helpful army of murderous astral kitties not great?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The "reverse dunning-kruger effect" is known as impostor syndrome fyi

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

watho posted:

The "reverse dunning-kruger effect" is known as impostor syndrome fyi

Thanks. I figured it had to have a proper name.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Sounds about right for a terrible racist. Passing off personal failures on to people who are different. You just drat well know if he were alive today he'd be pulling in 40-50k a year on patreon. Not because of his horror stories, but because of his political views.

Nah, that's a more recent phenomenon. Back then the popular racism was just "These people are gross and not quite human," full stop. They weren't considered important enough to affect anyone's business.

HPL may or may not have benefited from modern day alt right assholes; it depends on how charismatic he managed to be and whether this made up for his being a human with a thoroughly broken brain.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I suppose so. I was always under the impression that even for the time he was insanely xenophobic and watching that documentary I'm seeing a lot of parallels to people who buy into the alt-right propaganda.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Why would anyone feel the need to back down from this? Lovecraft's writing is bad. That's why he's a nerd icon.

http://www.revolutionsf.com/article.php?id=953

Okay. I read it. I still like LotR.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Jimbot posted:

I suppose so. I was always under the impression that even for the time he was insanely xenophobic and watching that documentary I'm seeing a lot of parallels to people who buy into the alt-right propaganda.
He was but it doesn't in the right way to get money from larger social groups at the time. Fascism was not yet beaten down by WW2 political party with specific philosophies and could still afford to be picky about what racists were allowed in, as opposed to today where all racists seem to find it a unifying philosophy.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Yeah the thing with him was that he was basically 2 centuries behind everyone else in the 1920s, he was basically the ultimate WASP.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

achillesforever6 posted:

I remember watching a HPL documentary on youtube and it was funny how much Neil Gaiman pissed off the comments because he talked about how antiquated and obtuse HPL's writings were (especially his early work)

Its a pretty good documentary too with John Carpenter, Scott Gordon, and Del Toro in it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg9VCf5einY

HPL just seemed like a victim of growing up under that Puritan lifestyle/work ethic; but gently caress him he was a huge loving racist

Neat documentary. However it was, ah, interesting how one of the same guys excusing Lovecraft's xenophobia earlier in the film later, out of nowhere, starts talking about "islamofascism" for no apparent reason :catstare:

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

Neat documentary. However it was, ah, interesting how one of the same guys excusing Lovecraft's xenophobia earlier in the film later, out of nowhere, starts talking about "islamofascism" for no apparent reason :catstare:
Yeah, it was disappointing to see GDT and Gaiman try to apologize for HPL's racism. Specifically GDT comparing HPL's racism to Mark Twain being racist which is really odd since Twain was pretty much the opposite of Lovecraft in being a man ahead of his time.

Gaiman I think was flat out wrong trying to downplay the symbolism of Lovecraft's monsters and villains with his xenophobia and racism.

• Locked thread