Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

carrot was the best obvs, but brook was cool and also nami was cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

the strawhats are pretty cool imo

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hard to believe carrot was introduced two years ago

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
omg I forgot about that, carrot rules

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I somehow forgot about the rad bishie painting. It's so good. Carrot is so good.

Everyone was so good this arc.

Even Chopper, just to a smaller degree.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
very disappointed there is no chappy this week

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

A Bug posted:

Brook and Jinbe were in a neck and neck race for MVP of the arc, but I gotta give Brook the nod for how hilarious he looked while breaking Carmel's photo.
Yeah, Brook was the definite MVP of this arc. Honestly him going against Big Mom all by himself was more than enough to get that position, but then there's the photo thing and getting the crew one-fourth of the way to One Piece.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
luffy was MVP, as he always is.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

very disappointed there is no chappy this week

The only reason I've been able to handle it is 'cause this is the best possible chapter for the Golden Week break to happen around. This is seriously one of my top 5 chapters of the entire series.

I hope Luffy fully heals by the time he comes into contact with the village burner! Shirahoshi, don't get kidnapped! Then the WG will have two ancient weapons ready to go.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Ughhhh pretty hosed up how much y'all are underselling my man Jinbe.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

jinbe is great and the moment where he leaves big mom's crew was amazing, but brook's showdown with big mom is just as good and breaking the picture is one of the best jokes in one piece

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Manatee Cannon posted:

jinbe is great and the moment where he leaves big mom's crew was amazing, but brook's showdown with big mom is just as good and breaking the picture is one of the best jokes in one piece
That, and it really shouldn't be looked over he literally got the crew 25% of the way to the main goal of the entire series by himself.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

by.... himself??? tsk

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

TheLoneStar posted:

That, and it really shouldn't be looked over he literally got the crew 25% of the way to the main goal of the entire series by himself.

And all he had to do to get there was sleep with Big Mom.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

logger posted:

And all he had to do to get there was sleep with Big Mom.

Pssh, let’s be real here, who hasn’t?

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Jinbe facing down Mam and surfing the Sunny were also rad as heck.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

So, when is Eneru gonna come back and invade the Grand Line with his robot army? I'd actually like to see that guy again.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Jinbe is awesome

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Sorry for disappearing after throwing shade y'all but yeah Jinbe loving rules. Took a hit from a Yonkou and it didn't leave a scratch. Almost put her rear end into the ocean too. Masterful helmsman. Has hella fishman bros.

bacon flaps fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 2, 2018

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'm still bummed Jinbe wasn't able to actually go with the Straw Hats. I can only hope he'll manage to meet up with them in Wano.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

TheLoneStar posted:

I'm still bummed Jinbe wasn't able to actually go with the Straw Hats. I can only hope he'll manage to meet up with them in Wano.

He's raised a death flag that he has to defy first.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

bacon flaps posted:

Took a hit from a Yonkou and it didn't leave a scratch.
Jimbei's tanked a hit from a yonkou AND the Marine Fleet Admiral AND one-punched a fellow warlord

Don't gently caress with Jimbei

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i hope sengoku and kong get proper fights by the end of the series

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Enel faked the moon landing.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i thought every character was great that arc except chopper.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

watch out boys, chopper is about to be useful. . . . . . . . . .. . . . . .. . .. .. . .

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the most useful thing chopper's done since fishman island is become law's hat

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Chopper's plan resulted in them capturing Brulee, an integral part of the arc!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

rannum posted:

True.

He's hasn't been useful as a doctor in years, though.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

True.

He's hasn't been useful as a doctor in years, though.

he transferred blood to luffy during FI

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

rannum posted:

it happened off-screen :(

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kild posted:

he transferred blood to luffy during FI

I hate to tell you this, but that was over 6 years ago.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

To be fair, I'd imagine it would take a lot of brain space and creativity lost in more compelling stories. . . trying to find continual uses and context for a doctor in a story where magic happens in basically every scene.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ubiquitus posted:

To be fair, I'd imagine it would take a lot of brain space and creativity lost in more compelling stories. . . trying to find continual uses and context for a doctor in a story where magic happens in basically every scene.

There's been doctoring going on it's just done by other people doing it better then him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea chopper's been playing second fiddle to law and caesar for years. even sanji's sister outdid him as a doctor

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

fat chopper was a strong fighter and good doctor; mascot chopper is neither.

He also isn't helped by his devil fruit presenting weird power options.

What made him cool and unique early in the story was rumble balls and the versatility of all the forms he had, but that utility became useless pretty early on and necessitated monster point. The next logical step after monster point is a monster point that he can control, but if that was actually as strong as what's shown in Enies Lobby, chopper would be too strong.

I think it would be cool if chopper learned armament haki and developed a better kung-fu point, but I know in my heart that he's stuck being a mascot for the rest of the story.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I just said chopper's being outdone by story magic, and you guys gave two examples of story magic outdoing him. . .

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ubiquitus posted:

Part of the problem I have is that Chopper isn't making progress toward his dream the way the other Straw Hats are. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but...

• Luffy is getting closer to Raftel (both physically and in terms of acquiring the information needed to get there), while becoming steadily stronger relative to his rivals for Pirate King.
  • Zoro hasn't gotten an obvious powerup after the timeskip, but he got strong enough over the timeskip itself that it feels like he's just 2 or 3 more powerups away from Mihawk. Wano is sure to be full of strong swordsmen for him to fight against and learn from.
  • Sanji is probably getting closer to All Blue as he approaches the end of the Grand Line.
  • Similarly, Franky gets closer to his dream as he gets closer to Raftel. He's already accomplished the part involving building the ship.
  • People complain about Robin not doing enough, but she seems to actually be making good progress towards the Rio Ponegylph. It's ambiguous which ones are part of the 9 mentioned by Tamago, but she's seen at least 7 non-Road Poneglyphs, and Wano and Raftel are obvious places to find more.
  • Brook's goal is easy compared to everyone else's in theory; the hard part is waiting until after Raftel to go back, but again, the SHs are moving towards Raftel.
  • Depending on just how much Weatheria moves around, Nami may have mapped most of the world already during the time skip. The most difficult piece remaining is probably the area around Raftel.
  • Usopp sometimes seems to be making depressingly little progress because his goal involves character development, and Oda loves wacky static characters too much. That said, he's been set up to get a big character moment when he visits Elbaf, and it can be argued that abandoning the Tontattas was an outlier low point rather than a sign he hasn't progressed (especially since Sugar's power was messing with his head).

An then we have Chopper, whose goal is arguably the most ambitious of all. He wants to become capable of curing any disease. While Luffy is trying to equal Roger and Zoro is trying to surpass Mihawk, Chopper is trying to accomplish something that no one in the world, so far as we know, has ever done before, and indeed we have no particular in-universe reason to believe is even possible. But what progress has he made towards it? He had access to a library of rare medical texts over the timeskip, but afterwards he never shows any particular sign of being a better doctor. Not only was he overshadowed by Law in Punk Hazard, he couldn't even do anything when Luffy was poisoned by that fish; Reiju had to save Luffy's life for him. So unless One Piece turns out to be a recipe for a magic potion that cures anything, how is he going to accomplish his dream?

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

JahRoo posted:

What made him cool and unique early in the story was rumble balls and the versatility of all the forms he had, but that utility became useless pretty early on and necessitated monster point. The next logical step after monster point is a monster point that he can control, but if that was actually as strong as what's shown in Enies Lobby, chopper would be too strong.

but he can fully control it now, he did it on FI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Voxx posted:

but he can fully control it now, he did it on FI

Yeah except it's so weak that Luffy can knock him out in that form with like one punch (granted this was with Franky at the wheel, not chopper), and he can still only do it for 3 minutes before being semi-paralyzed for a while. If it was actually as monstrously strong as was shown during Enies Lobby, where he effortlessly threw one of the biggest dudes in CP9 halfway across the island, chopper would feel way more threatening. As it stands you can't really trust him to win an important fight, so he's relegated to support of some kind.