Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Family Values posted:

I don’t know about the ‘industry’, but all the streamers seem to refer to themselves as streamers, and generally when you ignore what people call themselves and apply your own label to them it betrays a certain amount of antagonism.

"Streamer" is a subcategory, "influencer" covers it as well as things like "youtuber", "instagrammer", "blogger" etc.

There's no antagonism unless you think being referred to as someone who has influence over many people's purchasing decisions is antagonistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

humble bundle's got a pretty good deal for EU4 right now, 17 dollars for the game itself and every expansion except for conquest of paradise. Doesn't have all the unit packs and music or w/e but if you've been looking to try it out this is probably a good time

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/europa-universalis-iv?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_2

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Jabor posted:

There's no antagonism unless you think being referred to as someone who has influence over many people's purchasing decisions is antagonistic.

Do you not? It’s a synonym for shill.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Family Values posted:

I know many "influencers" who are not blind shills, perhaps you need to expand your horizons and start watching better people?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TheFlyingLlama posted:

humble bundle's got a pretty good deal for EU4 right now, 17 dollars for the game itself and every expansion except for conquest of paradise. Doesn't have all the unit packs and music or w/e but if you've been looking to try it out this is probably a good time

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/europa-universalis-iv?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_2

EU5 confirmed.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Family Values posted:

It's a cringy business/legal categorisation, its used by all the PR and marketing firms in their communication to streamers and youtubers and whatnot, and is also used in order to sell execs on using them as a legitimate marketing method. That's all it is, not some antagonistic derogatory term. IIRC it came into general use around 2015, after the FTC/FCC cracked down on sponsored content on youtube without disclosure.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

There's a counterpush to it as a marketing / businessspeak term that views people as mainly a way to sell product and don't care beyond that and these folks are letting themselves get used that way for money. You can see the association from people going "lol that means they are narcissists" :confused: in this very thread

It's just one of those "harmless business term" vs "aha that means you are complicit in kkkapitalist exploitation if you call yourself that" and it's kinda silly to me but that seems to be the point of contention

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Family Values posted:

To be fair, that's Paradox's (possibly) derogatory term for streamers, not what they call themselves.

Family Values posted:

I don’t know about the ‘industry’, but all the streamers seem to refer to themselves as streamers, and generally when you ignore what people call themselves and apply your own label to them it betrays a certain amount of antagonism.

Family Values posted:

Lmfao

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's a cringy business/legal categorisation, its used by all the PR and marketing firms in their communication to streamers and youtubers and whatnot, and is also used in order to sell execs on using them as a legitimate marketing method. That's all it is, not some antagonistic derogatory term. IIRC it came into general use around 2015, after the FTC/FCC cracked down on sponsored content on youtube without disclosure.

In other words, a shill. Anyways, someone said that anyone that calls themselves an influencer must be a narcissist, and my only point was that that's not what the people in question call themselves that's what Paradox calls them.

Thank you Something Awful forums poster Gobblecoque.

Family Values fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 22, 2020

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Just watched a YouTube and the guy kept saying he’s a “streamer” the gently caress he some kind of boat man?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Just watched a YouTube and the guy kept saying he’s a “streamer” the gently caress he some kind of boat man?

I think the word you are looking for is "stoker"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The difference between influencer and shill is that "influencers" tend to get popular before companies take any interest in them.

Also the vast majority of streamers are lucky to get 20 simultaneous viewers and the 5-50 range of Paradox game streams are extremely common and are more like discords but with one person who is either very good or very funny or both playing the game over the chat. You should check them out. It's Paradox games so I mean, avoid the frothing nazis, but there are good ones too.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Is CoP worth buying separately?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Lazyhound posted:

no.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Lazyhound posted:

The random new world can be fun in MP, but was more promising than it was exciting and engaging.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Lazyhound posted:

iirc all it adds is the RNW (cool in theory, but in practice almost always less useful than the normal one, although the fantasy ones are occasionally fun), the ability to play as colonial nations (again, fun to try out once, but not a big deal), and some additional new world mechanics like migration and reforming religions and w/e (conceptually very interesting, in practice it is the most loving tedious thing in the game and absolute not worth doing more than once)

if you end up really liking EU4 I'd probably grab it later once it goes on sale, but of all the DLCs it's absolutely the one you can miss with almost no reservations at all

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

You don't even need it for MP as the host will undoubtedly be one of those people with all three hundred dollars of DLC.

I like the random new worlds though, if they would fix the trade being bugged to hell that would be great.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I think any streamer is by definition some kind of narcissist

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The only new world nations worth playing are the Inca/Aztec/Maya which are a different dlc iirc. American new world nations are just screwed and terrible to play.

RNW needs another pass at the generator. I want it to make landmasses roughly the same size as what exists not....stringy islands that are super small.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Eimi posted:

RNW needs another pass at the generator. I want it to make landmasses roughly the same size as what exists not....stringy islands that are super small.

Nonsense, the RNW does very realistic landmasses

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

There's a mod that vastly improves RNW generation and province development, but the creator is one of those fickle workshop people who decided to abandon the mod as of the latest patch.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bloody Pom posted:

There's a mod that vastly improves RNW generation and province development, but the creator is one of those fickle workshop people who decided to abandon the mod as of the latest patch.
Maintaining a mod against the constant tinkering by Paradox gets kinda exhausting.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Lum_ posted:

Honestly that's pretty cool and makes me want to play a game with RNW

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Random New World is such a good idea and so bad in practice.

Also one should be able to pick Haudenosaunee or Mexica or whoever and generate a random Old World to gently caress up.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

You should be able to randomize the unknown world from any country's perspective.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lum_ posted:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Random New World is such a good idea and so bad in practice.

It really sucks because you think "oh not knowing what I'll find sounds interesting, let's do it!" and then 100 game years later you realise that when you wanted to colonise what you really wanted was to exploit the vast riches of the Carribean trade but there is no Carribean in this world.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Lum_ posted:

I imagine there would be a whole lotta blood spilled over that single water passage at the equator.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Random new world is kind of broken but can be fun, you mostly just need to spend ten minutes generating tilesets over and over again until you get something not poo poo. The trade nodes issue is just unforgivable though.

Also a lot of tiles are references to something which gets a bit annoying because America sized Falklands island is not great or interesting to colonize.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Nothing quite like playing a colonial portugal game with RNW only to realize all the new world trade nodes point towards asia

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Maybe RNW but it generates a seed so you can replay the same good new world and other peoples new world?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Subscription for EU4 coming. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/experimentation.1311555/

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Please god no

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

allegedly it's just going to be an option and you can just buy DLCs like you currently can. Let's see how long that lasts though

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Watching Paradox sloooowwwwwwwly die by degrees as the capitalism poisoning sinks deeper over the years is an interesting case study if nothing else I guess

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Hi I'm fredrik wester paradox ceo and I'm here to tell you why things won't change after we go public and put in a new ceo;

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Pdx needs to gently caress the hell off with any notion of games as a service/subscription models. I love their games and buy literally everything they put out, but this is a line that cannot be crossed.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I would pay :5bux: a month to have access to CK3, EU5 and all their dlc as it comes out.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly if eu4 was subscription-based from the start I'd probably have spent less on it overall. It's the sort of thing I binge on for a little bit and then move on to something else. It'd probably be an objectively good deal for someone coming in to the game late who misses out on the current humble bundle.

Psychologically it feels bad though. Both the "your game goes away once you stop paying" and the "you've decided to stop paying and move on to a different game, but you want to binge the rest of the month first because you've already paid for that" bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

subscriptions are always worse than just buying a copy of the game and especially in a game where you might put in literally thousands of hours you will pay more with a subscription than buying it, thats the only reason any company wants you to pay for one, because you pay more.

edit: you can get eu4 with nearly all the dlc in a sale right now for $17 or whatever which would probably be one or two months of a subscription cost