Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Washout posted:

You could buy a package that included a gold mech for $500, it included practically all the clan mechs available at the time as well. Whale bait basically.

I'm sort of disappointed they aren't still up to buy. I remember them claiming to have run out of gold Timberwolves, which was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Fil5000 posted:

I'm sort of disappointed they aren't still up to buy. I remember them claiming to have run out of gold Timberwolves, which was hilarious.

~*~*~*limited edition*~*~*~

If anyone could buy them the perceived value would be much lower because you wouldn't be part of an ~~~elite club~~~

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"

Cyrano4747 posted:

~*~*~*limited edition*~*~*~

If anyone could buy them the perceived value would be much lower because you wouldn't be part of an ~~~elite club~~~

Might be the actual worst club to claim membership to.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sterling_Archer posted:

Might be the actual worst club to claim membership to.

MechWarrior Tactics Legendary Founder

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Great Beer posted:

MechWarrior Tactics Legendary Founder

Hah! Yeah, in the canon of BT fandom MW Tactics founder is a pretty sorry club in on.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
If I'm going to blow 500 bucks for something gold it's going to be a video card.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

veedubfreak posted:

If I'm going to blow 500 bucks for something gold it's going to be a video card.

sucks that 500 dollars only gets you a mid range gpu nowadays

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Agrajag posted:

sucks that 500 dollars only gets you a mid range gpu nowadays

Yeah, but that midrange GPU is perfectly capable of putting out good looking graphics on the vast majority of poo poo out there. I'm only running a GTX970 and I have yet to find something that makes me say I need to upgrade this year.

Now, I'm not doing VR. That would make a big difference.

Ilvatu
Jun 7, 2009
Just shitposting to say it's 2017 and Mumble should be a distant afterthought. But here we are.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, but that midrange GPU is perfectly capable of putting out good looking graphics on the vast majority of poo poo out there. I'm only running a GTX970 and I have yet to find something that makes me say I need to upgrade this year.

The frustrating thing (in a very first-world-problem way) is that it's very tempting to get a 4K monitor now that they're like 300€, but then I'd be looking at some 800€ to actually use those pixels. I can't remember another time when high-end screens were so much cheaper than high-end GPUs.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nah, the 970 runs VR just fine. Just keep the hdmi port free for the headset.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

NihilCredo posted:

The frustrating thing (in a very first-world-problem way) is that it's very tempting to get a 4K monitor now that they're like 300€, but then I'd be looking at some 800€ to actually use those pixels. I can't remember another time when high-end screens were so much cheaper than high-end GPUs.

That's because there is actually competition in the screen business, where as Nvidia is pretty much running roughshod over AMD.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Repo Man posted:

It's why I'll have a triple laser-ams nova at some point. 100% overheating and exploding all day er'ry day.

I know you already know it's a bad idea, but I don't think it's physically possible to prevent a triple LAMS mech from overheating in MWO. I tried a single LAMS on the PTS and it was effectively the equivalent of having multiple flamers on my mech, it overwhelmed like 25 DHS effortlessly, and as long as the person kept firing missiles at me (most of which were still hitting, btw) I simply couldn't return fire.

As an added bonus, LAMS tries to fire through walls just like normal AMS except in addition to overheating you for no reason while it does that, it fires a huge number of bright red beams from your mech the whole time you do, broadcasting your location to every enemy. Thanks LAMS!

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I think the only use for the LAMS is in the stand around and do gently caress all stage that brawlers sometimes get stuck in, especially on maps like polar highlands. Once teams start actually pushing on each other and stuff is happening you toggle it off. Overall it's totally worse than the normal AMS.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Commoners posted:

I think the only use for the LAMS is in the stand around and do gently caress all stage that brawlers sometimes get stuck in, especially on maps like polar highlands. Once teams start actually pushing on each other and stuff is happening you toggle it off. Overall it's totally worse than the normal AMS.

Even in that case you run a good chance of already having half your heat capacity used when you finally get into the brawl. I'd rather just sit there and hide from missiles than start a brawl already in the yellow.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The fact that they still haven't figured out how to keep AMS from firing through walls/ceilings is pathetic.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Q_res posted:

The fact that they still haven't figured out how to keep AMS from firing through walls/ceilings is pathetic.

That's just :pgi:. At least they let you turn it off.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Wow, the Mad Cat doesn't seem to get much, if any, quirks compared to the others.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Agrajag posted:

Wow, the Mad Cat doesn't seem to get much, if any, quirks compared to the others.

That's pretty standard for clan mechs. They have a ton of other advantages in how their equipment works.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Cyrano4747 posted:

That's pretty standard for clan mechs. They have a ton of other advantages in how their equipment works.

such as?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Agrajag posted:

such as?

Range and speed mostly.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Agrajag posted:

such as?

Uhhh, even post Civil War there's still too much stuff to make an easy list but sufficed to say Clan mechs save oodles of tonnage and crit slots thanks to various tech advantages.

The MCII also has a good base chassis. Solid geometry, high mounts, and mobility that's no worse than the Supernova and MADII, its nearest competition. The reason they quirked the ever living suck out of the Annihilator and Cougar is that both those mechs suffer some huge disadvantages that they're trying to compensate.

Edit: Also, patch notes are up.

IS UAC20s had their ghost heat dropped to 1 (duh), no other big changes jump out at me for the new tech.

c-ERMLs got nerfed again, and they finally dinged IS LPLs a tad.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 15, 2017

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I want to know who's the guy at PGI who spends his days tweaking the rules of the galaxy map "game" and writing pages and pages about it despite the fact that it's utterly meaningless and effectively nobody gives a poo poo about it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh, wait. Wait, wait, what the gently caress?

quote:

Inner Sphere and Clan Standard Gauss Rifle
• Heat Penalty group is now linked with PPC.

Gauss Rifle Design Notes: For some time now, Gauss/PPC combinations have skewed much higher than nearly every other weapon combination when it came to pure pinpoint damage and kill potential. As a result, we've had to balance all Gauss and PPC weaponry changes around that combination, rather than what was best for the weapons individually. This was a mentality we carried with us into the New Tech PTS testing, attempting to preserve the weapon combo. That testing showed the various Gauss/PPC combinations provided with the release of new tech reliably outperformed nearly everything else on the PTS; when taken outside the combinations however, the individual weapons vastly under-performed from where we wanted them to be.
As a result, and with the current behavior of the combinations prior to the release of new tech also in mind, we have re-evaluated our stance on the combinations. This change will link Gauss and PPC weaponry together for the purpose of scaling Heat penalties. This will allow us to better balance the individual weapons as needed in the future, both within the existing lineup of weaponry, and with the new weapon types introduced in this patch.

Balance is hard you guys! We're just gonna give up, that cool?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It might help reign in some of the Gauss/PPC PPFLD out there at least.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Well yeah, but the thing is that it kills the combo out outright. Those two weapons just can't be used in tandem anymore, period.

I'm also not convinced that Gauss/PPC is the issue so much as the Night Gyr specifically. you don't really see the combo run on anything else because it's a loadout that's supposed to be reserved for assaults crammed into a 75-tonner.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 15, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh hey, they finally added a toggle to turn off those call to arms messages that constantly pop over your UI when you're trying to get shti done in the mechlab.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Doesn't ghost heat only kick in if the weapons are fired within .5 seconds of each other? If the PPCs get fired first the charge-up time of the gauss alone would keep it from being a thing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Plek posted:

Doesn't ghost heat only kick in if the weapons are fired within .5 seconds of each other? If the PPCs get fired first the charge-up time of the gauss alone would keep it from being a thing.

People who are good at PPC/Gauss charge the gauss then fire the PPC at the exact time they release the gauss. The point is to have all the damage hit at once so you can twist or jump to avoid the return fire.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

People who are good at PPC/Gauss charge the gauss then fire the PPC at the exact time they release the gauss. The point is to have all the damage hit at once so you can twist or jump to avoid the return fire.

^

The whole of the setup is to minimize face time. You start charging the Guass just as you're about to expose so that you can fire a full alpha and get back under cover quick as possible.

99.9% sure the reaction to this change will be folks dropping their PPCs for LPLs... so goodbye PPFLD, hello Guass vomit? Not sure that's better. It's like they have no clue why Gauss Rifles are so good.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
If they're peeking with the build then how is ghost heat supposed to help anyway? The difference between 2 and 3 PPCs is a lot if you're in a fight, but if you pull back and cool off for an extra couple seconds then... meh?

e: Oh, I guess 2 gauss and 2 ppcs is the thing? That would probably hurt then, yeah.

Plek fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 15, 2017

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Skippy McPants posted:

Oh, wait. Wait, wait, what the gently caress?

Balance is hard you guys! We're just gonna give up, that cool?

Good, gently caress these jump sniping helios using flambés.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 17, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pfffft hahah, they also nerfed ATM damage by 1/3rd but didn't remove the minimum range. So much for that!

Edit: Oh, I guess it's just a tooltip thing, they still do 3 damage at close range.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 15, 2017

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Lonjon posted:

Modpud was the very last cheater in MWO. Catching and banning her solved all of their cheating problems forever, so there is obviously no need to waste customer dollars on needless anti cheat measures.

Ardlen posted:

Their anti-cheat strategy is to deny there is any cheating.

People get banned for cheating all the time. We just don't make a big deal about it or make any announcements. I'm not going to say anything about how we find cheaters for obvious reasons but it is not something that goes unmoderated.

E: oops, typo. We are moderating cheaters.

Number19 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 15, 2017

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Oh for fucks sake. Stealth armor is going to just force even more voting for cold maps.
Clans are gonna get hosed in the butt after this patch.

Heh, gently caress :pgi: I'm pushing my luck on the brown sea. Gonna catch a ban. Don't give a gently caress.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 15, 2017

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Number19 posted:

People get banned for cheating all the time. We just don't make a big deal about it or make any announcements. I'm not going to say anything about how we find cheaters for obvious reasons but it is not something that goes moderated.

ty 19

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

One bright spot from the upcoming patch, balance-wise, is the velocity buffs to ER-PPCs. Makes boating them on a Supernova or Warhawk a little more attractive.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Holy poo poo the quirks on the annihilator lol, it's gonna be a beast. gently caress the haters.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

Number19 posted:

People get banned for cheating all the time. We just don't make a big deal about it or make any announcements. I'm not going to say anything about how we find cheaters for obvious reasons but it is not something that goes moderated.

That's good to hear. I assumed that since PGI used to make a big deal announcement when catching cheaters that they would continue to do so. I am glad to hear I was mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

Holy poo poo the quirks on the annihilator lol, it's gonna be a beast. gently caress the haters.

They understand how awful that oil derrick it calls a head is, so they went nuts with the quirks.

• Locked thread