Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

One thing that wasn't clear - can you earn the new UGP through normal means, or do you only get them at the beginning of each new era?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Shooting Blanks posted:

One thing that wasn't clear - can you earn the new UGP through normal means, or do you only get them at the beginning of each new era?

The unique seems to be era only, but they can still earn normal generals too. Moreover their bonuses seem to stack.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 19, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
+1 movement is game changing in that it just makes you really powerful, it wouldn't actually change how you play specifically other than "you can do everything everyone else does but a lot faster".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Gran Colombia is insane, but I think people are putting a bit too much stock in conquest victory as some inherently given thing. He's a great conquest dude, and the +1 movement for everyone obviously will help, but as far as I can tell nothing he gets gives bonuses to science, culture, tourism, anything but production and gold and even then you need to sacrifice multiple tiles to really get the heavy benefit. Plus the special generals are seemingly one time things, your age ticks, you get one, then it's back to normal generals until the next tick.

He's gonna be my new most hated neighbor for sure, but I think he's in the realm of "REALLY good at his niche and just normal at everything else"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The +1 movement applies to settlers and builders as well. That poo poo is going to compound very quickly.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

sexpig by night posted:

Gran Colombia is insane, but I think people are putting a bit too much stock in conquest victory as some inherently given thing. He's a great conquest dude, and the +1 movement for everyone obviously will help, but as far as I can tell nothing he gets gives bonuses to science, culture, tourism, anything but production and gold and even then you need to sacrifice multiple tiles to really get the heavy benefit. Plus the special generals are seemingly one time things, your age ticks, you get one, then it's back to normal generals until the next tick.

He's gonna be my new most hated neighbor for sure, but I think he's in the realm of "REALLY good at his niche and just normal at everything else"

+1 movement helps you get that science and production faster though. Obviously not a culture victory civ but perfectly capable of science or diplomacy as a backup to the conquest

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm going to guess that Gran Colombia is OP because the +1 movement and special general abilities make it seem like it's meant to be a micromanagement civ; and Firaxis doesn't know the game well enough to know how to balance that. There have been videos where their best player attacks with melee before using range on the target.

They probably don't even realize how powerful extra movement with movement after promotion is.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Hacienda is basically an Outback Station with fewer restrictions. I played a TSL game as Australia and carpeted the continent with them, and it was by far the easiest game I'd ever played. Adding 5+ production to every tile is a better science bonus than whatever a science-focused civ gets, and likewise for the other victory types.

Even without the also-broken military buffs, Colombia would be bonkers. This is just insane.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The Hacienda is basically an Outback Station with fewer restrictions. I played a TSL game as Australia and carpeted the continent with them, and it was by far the easiest game I'd ever played. Adding 5+ production to every tile is a better science bonus than whatever a science-focused civ gets, and likewise for the other victory types.

Even without the also-broken military buffs, Colombia would be bonkers. This is just insane.

This was my take. Outback Station is what takes Australia from a very good civ to one that's borderline broken, Hacienda feels like it will do the same thing for Gran Colombia - just with more of a military flavor to it, rather than culture/science.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

the logistics policy card is really powerful for a peaceful/econ type game because it applies to builder units. colombia get this in perpetuity (and it applies outside home territory). it'll even apply to apostles for a religious game. it's just a really good general bonus that is always useful. while also being insane for domination.

the hacienda might be too late in the tech tree to be properly useful though.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I'd just like to throw out there that in Civ 4, India was considered one of the best civilizations in the game due to its unique unit, which was just a worker with +1 movement.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
All units includes sea units too, I presume. :lol:

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure even peaceful Gran Colombia is stronger than best-case scenario Maya. That extra movement is wild. The hacienda needs a lot of space to be at its best, but faster settlers and builders should buy you an extra city or two, and if I ever break down and take over the continent, obviously space will never be a problem.

I just realized their scouts have four movement. Cool cool, get half the huts on the planet and guarantee a classical golden age. And am I remembering the stats wrong, or are their warriors basically Cree scouts but with a melee upgrade track? Starting next to Giant's Causeway is going to be hilarious.

Does this affect their trade route units? God, do they even build roads faster? Do they get faster trade outposts? If so, maybe that's your incentive to not instantly kill everyone. I'll take it!

I look forward to seeing how they'll nerf these guys. If at all! I don't really want them to, honestly, although I'm sure they're going to ruin multiplayer. I hope they keep the +1 movement in some capacity.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I was just thinking about the +1 movement mod someone recommended a few pages back, it was in the context of discussing basic movement and scouts sucking etc. They're totally right: the game rules as written would greatly benefit from basic movement being 3, and I've even played a game that does that. WH:Gladius has the exact same scale as Civ5/6, with similar sized forests, cities, natural choke points, etc, and also the same movement rules. It also gave every unit base3 movement, and the game is so much better for it. (Gladius itself benefits from it, not that Gladius is a better game than civ, which is laughable) Units get swamped in hard terrain, but are able to move in&out of it with ease, repositioning units as they get damaged in a fight is simple, moving large blobs across the map is... less? burdensome.

It looks like Gran Colombia's perk is a trial for the new normal, and I sure as poo poo hope it gets shoved into Civ7.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'd love that. I'm often tempted to get that mod, but it feels transformative in a way I think I'd have trouble adapting to.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

sexpig by night posted:

Gran Colombia is insane, but I think people are putting a bit too much stock in conquest victory as some inherently given thing. He's a great conquest dude, and the +1 movement for everyone obviously will help, but as far as I can tell nothing he gets gives bonuses to science, culture, tourism, anything but production and gold

the gently caress do you think settlers and workers produce

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Well, when a mommy worker and a daddy worker love each other very much...

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The White Dragon posted:

Absolutely nothing. Now Capital on the other hand...

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The update comes out tomorrow. Anybody found any news about balance tweaks, UI upgrades, bug fixes; or are we just getting meteors instead.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 20, 2020

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Tom Tucker posted:

If the entire Civ was just "units gain +1 movement" I think they would still be top-tier for conquest victories.
i watched the video and came here to post this. no unique building, units, or anything else, just a civ that said "+1 to all movement" would be top tier

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Chad Sexington posted:

Inspired by this thread, I started an Eleanor game on Pangea to try and roll culture while I am on Zoom calls for work.

After circumnavigating the globe, I found I am in a rather bad spot to use the city conquering with art strategy. I'm on the sub-continent from the main continent with a neutered Harald and I've got Shaka blocking me on a little northern land bridge to the main continent. The upside... the main continent has Shaka, Montezuma, and Tomyris among others who have been at war the whole game. And I still have plenty of land around myself and Harald to continue expanding. But I'm not going to get poo poo for tourism unless I get a foothold on the main continent.

So do I go to war to bully my way in past Shaka or do I trust in my culture (currently 140/turn with the next closest 98.5) to do it for me?

To close the loop, I wound up winning my pacifist cultural victory in the 1930s once I got broadcast centers going and I finished bombarding Suleiman with rock bands.

Shaka blocked me from making any real progress into the main continent, but Eleanor's unique helped me snap up five of Norway's cities as well as two more that Spain tried to plant on the continent. Three more of Norway's cities were moving towards flipping when I won, including the capital, which I did not realize could happen...

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

The Human Crouton posted:

The update comes out tomorrow. Anybody found any news about balance tweaks, UI upgrades, bug fixes; or are we just getting meteors instead.

Pantheon exploit is being fixed. Assume the build queue duplicate district will be too.

Diplo victory is tweaked somehow. Hopefully to not be dogshit.

Units will also gain 'reknown' which is different from XP. But that's about it.

There is a developer live stream tomorrow.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Just let me completely disable the world congress, it's dogshit

Also, that +1 movement for Gran Columbia is ridiculous. I'm not sure Firaxis understands their own game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh. GRAN Colombia, the proto-empire that had a short but blooming life. Interesting. +1 movement for EVERYTHING sounds almost too good to be true. I love it.

EDIT: Addendum to the Eleanor victory: Loyalty pressure is largely affected by population so having very populous cities is key, and entertainment districts so you can do a festival that blasts everything nearby with more loyalty pressure. And spies to reduce city loyalty if you think you can swing that.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
As someone who is not good with the early settler rush game so he constantly gets boxed in, I love playing tall Eleanor and just slowly taking over the world through love and peace and modern art.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
In my most recent game Eleanor was right next to Peter the Great and managed to lose the culture war. All but two of her cities got flipped during a single dark age and she never recovered, hovering around 300-400 points for the entire rest of the game. It was kinda satisfying to see because she has definitely screwed me over before.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I feel like the +1 movement (for me) would be most important for scouts, you'd get so much more territory covered.
It's pretty insane all in all.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Luceo posted:

It's the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a game. I still can't believe that adult humans came up with it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Luceo posted:

Also, that +1 movement for Gran Columbia is ridiculous. I'm not sure Firaxis understands their own game.

They know it's ridiculous. Either they're targeting sales in ~Colombia or think that OP new civs will drive interest and sales generally, or both.

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011
Maybe they have been listening to Revolutions and think Bolivar is neat?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

The Human Crouton posted:

It's the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a game. I still can't believe that adult humans came up with it.

You mean that's not how the UN works irl!?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ratios and Tendency posted:

They know it's ridiculous. Either they're targeting sales in ~Colombia or think that OP new civs will drive interest and sales generally, or both.

And then nerf it when the next round of stuff comes out

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I 100% know it’s due to Mike Duncan

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011
Kinda disappointed the movement skill is not called Old Iron rear end

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

This comes out today or tomorrow and there's still no steam page? Am I blind?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

This comes out today or tomorrow and there's still no steam page? Am I blind?

I just looked and yea, what the hell the only DLC is Rising Tide & Gathering Storm, none of the small individual civ and scenario stuff. Weird!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Serephina posted:

I just looked and yea, what the hell the only DLC is Rising Tide & Gathering Storm, none of the small individual civ and scenario stuff. Weird!

Gran Colombia has +1 movement on Steam pages as well.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

HappyCamperGL posted:

Units will also gain 'reknown' which is different from XP. But that's about it.

lol if it's something like "enemy AI will focus renowned units" and then because the AI is already horrendous you can just have a very renowned spearman funneling hordes of everything past a dozen archers, forever

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
New Frontier Pass Steam page.

Also, an update landed even on macOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Yeah they’re doing it for the booming video game market of Colombia