Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Blast of Confetti posted:

how much of western movies being really popular in china is people laundering money through movie places because the warcraft movie was apparently selling full houses to a province that was dealing with floods

well, I mean, what do YOU do during a flood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

ladron posted:

well, I mean, what do YOU do during a flood?
Either mute the guy or switch to a private channel.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
This must be why everyone's pants are way too short lately. :corsair:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I know it wouldn't change anything, but I'd love to see the reaction to someone saying "This is a sensitive issue, and because I am not Taiwanese, I should not comment. Saying that Taiwan is China hurts the feelings of the Taiwanese people."

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Subtle mocking would fly right over their head.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Steakandchips posted:

Subtle mocking would fly right over their head.

out of all the amazing things the Chinese have mastered in the past 5,000 years, subtlety is not one of them

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I'unno, Yangdi caught on pretty quick to the insinuation from the first address from Prince Shotoku.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

As said above, the annoying things for me as an expat are not paying taxes (as I don't earn enough as a teacher to come anywhere near the threshold) but all the dumb paperwork I have to file just because I'm American. Getting married was a terrible move and now I know why so many people overseas have a ceremony, but don't ever sign the paperwork.

Basically, as soon as I married my wife, who is far more responsible with money than I am, I gained a stake in her savings, and so now must report the existence of all of her bank accounts to the IRS. The intent of course is to prevent wealthy expats from hiding money in their spouses' accounts, but this is the one time the net is very wide. Additionally, whenever I open a bank account I have to go through a bunch of extra paperwork so that the foreign bank can report my activity to the IRS if necessary. Even small rear end local Thai banks with no international ambitions comply with IRS regulations.

This has led to all sorts of fun conversations.

"Please give us your permanent address in the US."
"I don't have one."
"But you are American."
"I left in 2008."
"So what was your address when you left?"
"The building was literally demolished." (this is true)
"What is your parents' address?"
"My parents are dead." (not true, but I wanted to see what would happen)
*looks at passport, notices Place of Birth is Maine* "Your permanent address is Maine."

That at least worked to get the account open. Then I lost my ATM card and wanted to apply for a replacement.

"What is your permanent address."
"Maine."
*stares at screen for a long time, presses buttons on computer, calls manager* "No. The system has rejected it."
*repeat conversation from above*

Eventually I just caved and gave them my parents' address, but it's super loving frustrating because there's no system in place for if I really didn't have an address I could put down. It would be possible for me to have cut all ties with my family and friends back in the States, but I couldn't do any banking overseas without an address. It's in situations like these I'm tempted to give out 1600 Pennsylvania Ave as my address.

Do you also send in an FBAR every year? I recently learned I have to do this since I've held a bank account in Canada for a couple years now. And yeah, all this is a hassle. Getting married one day will make it even more of a hassle.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
https://my.mixtape.moe/fesrsu.mp4

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

im really curious what she's saying. Any chance you guys can give the roughest, most general translation for why her tantrum needed to end by sitting on an apparent stranger?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I don't speak Chinese, but judging from my experiences on the Skytrain in Vancouver he's obviously sitting directly under a sign that says "These seats are reserved for women/seniors/the disabled" and is refusing to move.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

basic hitler posted:

im really curious what she's saying. Any chance you guys can give the roughest, most general translation for why her tantrum needed to end by sitting on an apparent stranger?

Following tantrum logic, he wouldn't give up his seat.

^ If what he says is true, then it ain't a tantrum. That's a legit issue.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
https://twitter.com/Lhatseri/status/906175294649753600

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Is that lady cursing the Chinese for loving up Tibet's environment?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

You mean China's Tibet Province?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

nickmeister posted:

Is that lady cursing the Chinese for loving up Tibet's environment?

:thunk:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Something similar happened when I studied in HK.
The teacher needed to know how many countries they were in the world. And a student said 196.
Then the teacher asked if it includes Taiwan, the student said yes.
And the Chinese students insisted he reduced it to 195.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Two thousand years ago, when I was a college student, the only response anyone ever gave to a Chinese kid yelling at them was "If you don't want to hear it, leave my class. This is not up for discussion. Stop wasting time," or similar.

It really only happened once or twice, in my first-year East Asian Studies course. Most of the butthurt in that class came from the Korean students because the course was CHINA CHINA CHINA, then at the end of the year, three days about Japan. Korean history was reduced to a single handout and not discussed in lecture at all (but still on the final, of course.)

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
My wife's friend insists on being described as "from Taiwan/Taiwanese"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The majority of Taiwanese do nowadays. They don't want to be associated with mainlanders and I don't blame them.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

three days about Japan. Korean history was reduced to a single handout and not discussed in lecture at all (but still on the final, of course.)

I can only imagine the butthurt

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Two thousand years ago, when I was a college student, the only response anyone ever gave to a Chinese kid yelling at them was "If you don't want to hear it, leave my class. This is not up for discussion. Stop wasting time," or similar.

It really only happened once or twice, in my first-year East Asian Studies course. Most of the butthurt in that class came from the Korean students because the course was CHINA CHINA CHINA, then at the end of the year, three days about Japan. Korean history was reduced to a single handout and not discussed in lecture at all (but still on the final, of course.)

My East Asian studies course sounds way better. We had the world's biggest weeaboo as the professor, but he actually was fairly even handed and split the course into thirds for China, Korea, and Japan. If anything Japan got the short end of the stick because he felt there wasn't much to say for long stretches of its history and where there was, it's was nitty gritty details outside the scope of the class, which was supposed to be as surface level as possible. So Korea and China got lists of Kingdoms and Dynasties, then a crash course on the modern eras, and Japan was like, "Here are the major islands, they were basically barbarians who hated foreigners, then they attacked Pearl Harbor."

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

The professor was an expert in Chinese classical literature. The course was widely known for being a way for Chinese students majoring in Commerce to get their humanities credit out of the way, and honestly there weren't many actual EAS majors in the class. My TA was a Korean Studies PhD candidate who seemed just as confused as we all were. The lectures were all right, but the tutorials were complete bullshit with me and the only other not-Chinese student in the class being the only participants while the others just stared at their books with a look of panic.

I have no idea if this is true, but I'm guessing the first year/100-level classes at my alma mater are taught by professors in exchange for tenure or something, which would explain why a quarter of my introductory Bio class was solely on limnology. WTF literally no one cares, you weirdo lake weeb. So I'd wager he got saddled with the class and decided, "gently caress it; I ain't researching Korea just for these turds."

e: He also warned us on the first day that the lecture was pretty much only going to be about China. I think it was so that weeaboos would drop out and he wouldn't have to deal with people yelling SUGOI DESU NE or something.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yo it's true though I saw that Language Studies required history classes and I was like Lol Nope and changed to the broader and more pretentious Linguistics.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

peanut posted:

Yo it's true though I saw that Language Studies required history classes and I was like Lol Nope and changed to the broader and more pretentious Linguistics.

Yeah; I though it would be more of an anthropological course, rather than a history class. Don't get me wrong, I like history- it ended up being one of my majors- but it wasn't what I had hoped for based on the course description. Easy A, though.

I sort of did the opposite of what you did- I briefly flirted with being a Middle Eastern Studies major, but having to take Arabic plus another language was never gonna happen. Arabic is deadass too difficult for me. I am not good at learning new languages and have never been interested in one long enough to really tackle it.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Linguistics can suck my bored balls

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
We can't even teach you all of Chinese history because you'd be dead by the time you learned it all

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I am sad to say that not one sentence on the Korea handout started with "Do you know?"

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 10, 2017

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I am sad to say that not one sentence on the Korea handout started with "Do you know?"

I wish koreaisbest.com was still around

https://web.archive.org/web/20100503031252/http://koreaisbest.com/

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Well! I have five hours to kill and I'm done with ExpatHell for now, so...

Homeless Sexual is what I'm going to call my predilection for scruffy dudes with manbuns.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I read somewhere* that Korea has four seasons, is it true?

*: This thread.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

As you know of course Korea has four distinct seasons. It is the only place in the world so blessed.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Because Jesus and kimchi.

This is a why Chinar people must make statue of soccerball to try and ashame the Korea. But Korea is ours! Fighting!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Btw it appears Waygook is now charging a subscription fee. This plus the Microsoft product ban is going to destroy the public school system.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Why is ms office banned? Seems like a terrible move.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Boiled Water posted:

Why is ms office banned? Seems like a terrible move.

I'm just guessing hwp supremacy.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

To force people to use not MS office. I don't know how well it worked though.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

jizzy sillage posted:

To force people to use not MS office. I don't know how well it worked though.

But to what end, you hear me cry

no why

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

ladron posted:

I'm just guessing hwp supremacy.

Yes.

Although I think it might just be Gyeonggi...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Because Jesus and kimchi.

This is a why Chinar people must make statue of soccerball to try and ashame the Korea. But Korea is ours! Fighting!

Jesus was Korean. Why else is he known as the Cho Sun Wun?

• Locked thread