Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Just add more rotors/motors. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Godholio posted:

Just add more rotors/motors. :downs:

Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5JgnMJzCtQ

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fojar38 posted:

So China "released" the "specs" for their "stealth fighter."

http://nextbigfuture.com/2015/10/chinas-j31-stealth-fighter.html

Crew: one (pilot)
Length: 16.9 m (55 ft 5 in)
Wingspan: 11.5 m (37 ft 9 in)
Height: 4.8 m (15 ft 9 in)
Wing area: 40 m2 (430 sq ft)
Gross weight: 17,600 kg (38,801 lb)
Powerplant: 2 × RD-93 afterburning Turbofans, 84 kN (19,000 lbf) thrust each
Current domestic powerplant - 88.3 kN thrust each
Powerplant: 2 × WS-13A afterburning Turbofans, 100 kN (22,000 lbf) thrust each
Maximum speed: 2,205 km/h (1,369 mph; 1,190 kn)
Maximum speed: Mach 1.8
Combat range: 1,200 km (777 mi; 675 nmi)
Ferry range: 4,000 km (2,485 mi; 2,160 nmi)
Thrust/weight: ~1

Their domestic powerplant is better than the russian one?

Uh huh...

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Could be, at about 3 minutes MTBF :xd:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

That Works posted:

Their domestic powerplant is better than the russian one?

Uh huh...

Well, the RD-93 has a quoted life of 4000 hours (which is probably optimistic, and isn't all that great), while the WS-13A is 2200 hours.

So yeah, basically.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I have been telling people on Facebook about Iran's involvement in Syria, and how the Russians are only bombing the anti-Iranian Free Syrian Army and not ISIS. A lot of people who don't know this have obviously been confused by the idea that "all the brown people fighting are not ISIS?" Considering that this is the exact opposite of what the Russians are telling the news, and the news are telling us, it comes as no surprise. Don't get me wrong, there are ISIS in Syria, but they are being used as a scapegoat.

For those of you who don't know what I mean, the FSA are the guys we have been giving TOW's to to fight the pro-iranian Syrian government as well as the Iranians there.

Then today we get this news.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/oct/9/hussein-hamedani-iranian-general-killed-islamic-st

As far as I know so far, ISIS isn't even claiming responsibility. Even if they did I would consider it dubious. I think he was killed in the offensive I posted only one of the many videos from. Go to Liveleak and put in "TOW" to be blown away at the horror of this Russian bolstered offensive.

I think if this ends up going like Libya, then the next step will be lots of MANPADS for the FSA

edit: welp
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=295_1443718220

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 10, 2015

Alaan
May 24, 2005

US press is not all just parroting what Russia says. Definitely seen multiple articles from mainstream press talking about air strikes against the rebels we support being a majority of their ops.

And at this rate everyone will be fighting for a blown up wasteland no one but the fighters occupy.

And man the Washington post mobile site is awful. Three paragraphs then four in line ads, then a pop up opened and when I closed it the page refreshed. By the time I got back to the paragraph I wAs reading the pop up returned.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i was under the impression the russians didn't really care as long as a) it helps assad and b) creates lots of lovely refugees to bolster the far right parties in europe they fund

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

B4Ctom1 posted:

I have been telling people on Facebook about Iran's involvement in Syria, and how the Russians are only bombing the anti-Iranian Free Syrian Army and not ISIS.

Daesh is quite strongly anti-Iran, given how they're radical Sunnites who want to kill all the "safavid heretics".

Russia and Iran do not have goals that are perfectly aligned. What they have in common is the desire to keep Assad in power (for different reasons), and hinder US attempts to contain their regional influence.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Is it bad to think that maybe keeping Assad in power might be better for regional stability?

Having a rebel coalition overthrow Assad doesn't really seem all that likely to install a Western-friendly state and even with Assad there he's now the same guy we already knew about but in charge of an even shittier and less capable country than before..

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That argument's not going to garner any more support now than it did in 2003.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Godholio posted:

That argument's not going to garner any more support now than it did in 2003.

Sure, but it seems like even if we "win" by booting out Assad it just turns into endless war there between rebels, ISIS and whoever else decides they want part of the country (Kurds?).

Doesn't seem very encouraging compared to restoring Assad to full power of the country.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

There's no way you're putting that genie back in its bottle.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I'm seeing some stuff about the Turks smokin a wayward Russian?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

So far it's only being reported by poo poo like the Mirror and conspiracy sites.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm seeing some stuff about the Turks smokin a wayward Russian?

Somewhere the corpse of Tom Clancy is twitching and regretting not squeezing a few more dimes out of that specific scenario.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

That Works posted:

Is it bad to think that maybe keeping Saddam, Gaddafi, Assad in power might be better for regional stability?

Yup! And we're never going to learn our lesson.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Blistex posted:

Yup! And we're never going to learn our lesson.

Isn't this how we got to this situation in the first place? Liking strongmen over democracy because the former is easier to control?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Middle Eastern populism produced Nasser, which sounds a hell of a lot more dangerous than your run of the mill kleptocrat dictator.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Alaan posted:

US press is not all just parroting what Russia says. Definitely seen multiple articles from mainstream press talking about air strikes against the rebels we support being a majority of their ops.

And at this rate everyone will be fighting for a blown up wasteland no one but the fighters occupy.

And man the Washington post mobile site is awful. Three paragraphs then four in line ads, then a pop up opened and when I closed it the page refreshed. By the time I got back to the paragraph I wAs reading the pop up returned.
Right after I posted that I noticed CNN has it right.

Sorry about such a lovely link.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Cat Mattress posted:

Russia and Iran do not have goals that are perfectly aligned. What they have in common is the desire to keep Assad in power (for different reasons), and hinder US attempts to contain their regional influence.
Yeah Iran nuclear deal makes 150 billion common goals for Iran to spend on Russian hardware.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Nebakenezzer posted:

Isn't this how we got to this situation in the first place? Liking strongmen over democracy because the former is easier to control?

All we had to do was not get involved, and not give the rebels weapons and air support (Libya) or outright invade (Iraq). We'd save billions->trillions, Iraq would still be stable and ISIS free, and Vilerat would still be pooping in socks.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Blistex posted:

All we had to do was not get involved, and not give the rebels weapons and air support (Libya) or outright invade (Iraq). We'd save billions->trillions, Iraq would still be stable and ISIS free, and Vilerat would still be pooping in socks.

The only for sure thing you listed is that Iraq would (most likely) be stable. Everything else is a maybe, mostly hinging on when Arab Spring kicks off, including Vile Rat. Iraq not getting knocked over, or getting knocked over but no dissolution of the military, means that IS is less likely due to the lack of potential militants.

Libya required the Arab Spring uprisings to occur. However, I don't remember anything really connecting the fall and dissolution of Iraq's government/military, and AS kicking off other than a strongman government toppling (but to completely different circumstances [invasion by foreign power v. domestic uprising]). And Libya really is an aberration as far as AS, and along with it Syria, in that the country dissolved into civil war; which didn't really occur in Tunisia or Egypt, the other major Arab Spring states (the only ones?).

I say that VR would be a maybe because, with AS occurring "off-schedule" to OTL, he may not be in Benghazi when the embassy gets trashed.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

You can lay down some options but it's basically impossible to make a strong stand which way things outside of Iraq and Afghanistan would go. Us kicking Sadam out and hugely increasing our own influence in the region grossly changes the political dynamics there. A lot players had their finger in the pie of Iraqi insurgency during that mess spreading over several countries. There's been fair deal of cross-pollination between various extremists/rebels/flavor of the day fighters.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 11, 2015

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/gen-vagula.html?tab=artworkgalleries&artworkgalleryid=594592

:911: :catstare:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

B4Ctom1 posted:

So by now everyone here has probably heard about the Russian missiles headed for Syria that accidentally crashed in Iran?
http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/08/politics/russian-missiles-syria-landed-iran/index.html?eref=rss_world

During a discussion of these systems somebody showed me this:

Another picture of the Russian "shipping container" cruise missile stealth launcher

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Russia is going to get pretty bloody doing Iran's dirty work.
http://www.businessinsider.com/syria-rebels-and-tow-missiles-2015-10?op=1

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

The facial expression makes it look like it's tripping balls.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The PCP helps the Warthog focus its rage as it tears up T-72s.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I can't believe the AF still lets them do that; tradition doesn't mean poo poo these days.

Edit: That unit is the descendant of the original Flying Tigers, that's why they get the shark teeth. Nobody else gets poo poo anymore.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
I was a stone's throw away from these A-10s but I didn't know about the northern lights so I just slept like a retard. :(

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

"Well, there was a fire on engine 1 and the fuel cutoff wouldn't stay engaged so we improvised"

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Godholio posted:

I can't believe the AF still lets them do that; tradition doesn't mean poo poo these days.

Edit: That unit is the descendant of the original Flying Tigers, that's why they get the shark teeth. Nobody else gets poo poo anymore.

Pretty sure 100 ARW still rocks bomber formation lettering. And every ISR unit I was ever in still runs WWII/Cold War patches on flight suits. Moving away from unit insignia on ABU was the dumbest goddamn thing considering how desperate they are for morale that doesn't have to be enforced.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

hobbesmaster posted:

"Well, there was a fire on engine 1 and the fuel cutoff wouldn't stay engaged so we improvised"

See this is why ladies maximise their 1 carry-on, 1 stowable laptop/book bag, and 1 clutch. You never know when it'll come in handy. And that poo poo flies for freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

See this is why ladies maximise their 1 carry-on, 1 stowable laptop/book bag, and 1 clutch. You never know when it'll come in handy. And that poo poo flies for freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Not on spirit!

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
German owned Patriots may have been hacked
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/has-germanys-patriot-missile-system-been-hacked/ar-CC8HT

edit: an info dump on the matter
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=76e_1444301319

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
Yeah, according to that first story apparently the Patriot datalink is just like something you would get at Best Buy. Somehow that doesn't seem quite right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

standard.deviant posted:

Yeah, according to that first story apparently the Patriot datalink is just like something you would get at Best Buy. Somehow that doesn't seem quite right.

Commercial off the shelf hardware. This article sounds like something invented by a global foundries exec or something.