Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

NikkolasKing posted:

Another retro wrestling comment/question...

I guess Bruno Sammartino did not like Ric Flair, even professionally? Saw a video with him and Harley Race on the best wrestlers ever and Harley was diplomatic about Flair, Bruno is just like no gently caress that guy. His reasoning is Flair had basically one style and one match and that was all.

Funny thing is, in the Retro shows, Bryan and Vinny say this, too. All the time they say Flair has one match, especially with Sting, but they love him for it.

There was a match in 2000 WCW with heel Sting vs face Flair. It was a multiman match but when they were in the ring they just rehashed the spots they did 10 years ago, which involved Sting playing hero and Flair begging off.

It was probably just lol WCW but Bruno might have a point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Well yeah, Sting and Flair always had the same match.

It’s a drat good match though.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

NikkolasKing posted:

So what is the deal with Lanny Poffo? All I know about him is he is Macho Man's brother, collected money from WCW for years without ever appearing once, and I think Vinny or Bryan implied he's a bit of bullshitter or toots his own horn a bit much.

But he's a name I hear semi-frequently when discussing American wrestling history.

https://twitter.com/TrevorDame/status/1116247323590348802?s=20&t=DpEZz6Px7-iu4PUfKrNZag

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is the ideal make bedroom. You don't have to like it but this is what peak batin' performance looks like.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
GDQ did a run of the Thunder in Paradise game. Before that, I never knew it existed! The runner also was wearing a PastaMania shirt for maximum 1995 vibes!

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

This is the ideal make bedroom. You don't have to like it but this is what peak batin' performance looks like.

Well I’m convinced

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Erainor posted:

GDQ did a run of the Thunder in Paradise game. Before that, I never knew it existed! The runner also was wearing a PastaMania shirt for maximum 1995 vibes!

I wonder what they had to pay Hogan to film the scenes for the game

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingslayer posted:

Search your heart, you know it to be true.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

So what is the deal with Lanny Poffo? All I know about him is he is Macho Man's brother, collected money from WCW for years without ever appearing once, and I think Vinny or Bryan implied he's a bit of bullshitter or toots his own horn a bit much.

But he's a name I hear semi-frequently when discussing American wrestling history.

On Between the Sheets they told the story a while back on how Lanny might have had a chance to be a much bigger name, where he was having good matches and was given the chance to go be a hot newcomer in another promotion (Portland maybe?) away from his dad's (the Poffos ran ICW, an "outlaw" promotion which means they were not affiliated with NWA) but his dad needed him to stay and wrestle at home because Poffo senior was going head to head with Memphis and needed all the help he could get. It didn't help and I don't think Lanny was ever given a chance like that again.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

It has got to be really difficult to get over with a name like leaping lanny tbh

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Grandpa Space Ghost knew who Leapin' Lanny was, so he's a big star in my book

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOk1uFtBoYs

This rules. I've always heard the drops in the early Retro songs but never heard the full thing till now.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

https://twitter.com/Wrestling80s90s/status/1544637596332167168

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

goldberg rules

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

bobby

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

eaton

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Dawgstar posted:

On Between the Sheets they told the story a while back on how Lanny might have had a chance to be a much bigger name, where he was having good matches and was given the chance to go be a hot newcomer in another promotion (Portland maybe?) away from his dad's (the Poffos ran ICW, an "outlaw" promotion which means they were not affiliated with NWA) but his dad needed him to stay and wrestle at home because Poffo senior was going head to head with Memphis and needed all the help he could get. It didn't help and I don't think Lanny was ever given a chance like that again.

And Poffo himself once confessed that he was only mediocre when he wasn't being elevated by superior talent.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I remember being at a friend’s house watching this and he was for some reason in the other room so I marked out alone in his bedroom, and scraped my knuckles on his ceiling from jumping. Later his dad said obviously Goldberg would win, they hired Michael Buffer! If only I could have said WELL ACTUALLY WCW had him on all the time. It still pains me to this day

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

I remember this pretty vividly. I was like "there is no way in hell Goldberg is winning on free TV. WCW would never do that" and then it happened and I marked out super hard. And that was probably the last really good decision WCW ever made

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

TheKingslayer posted:

I thought they just used footage from an episode?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

I remember this pretty vividly. I was like "there is no way in hell Goldberg is winning on free TV. WCW would never do that" and then it happened and I marked out super hard. And that was probably the last really good decision WCW ever made

Not only winning on free TV, winning on free TV with absolutely no build. The fact that it happened was amazing

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JANhB2R-ek

This was a great little retrospective on Duggan.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Got up to the "Bark like a dog" segment on Raw from 2001 which is now somehow even more uncomfortable.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/WCWNitroBook/status/1547950812181061632

This is going to be so bad.

The Nitro book is an interesting resource but the author clearly gets carried away by access and writes fan fiction type stuff in certain chapters, like the first big chapter about DDP. This is going to be Hogan memoir level distortion.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO ME I'M EVER SO IMPORTANT

gently caress off, Eric.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
These are the shoes I wore when I beat Vince McMahon on PPV, the ratings died the next day.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

This is going to be so bad.

The Nitro book is an interesting resource but the author clearly gets carried away by access and writes fan fiction type stuff in certain chapters, like the first big chapter about DDP. This is going to be Hogan memoir level distortion.

If you listen to Bischoff's podcast, and I'm not saying you should, it's clear he remembers very little about what went on so it's automatically not super interesting unlike Bret and his obsessive notetaking.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I'm listening to some old B&V retros and Bischoff starts showing up to the shows drunk when Nitro starts losing the ratings war. Like, immediately.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's not his fault. He tried everything to beat Raw in the ratings, but he couldn't, so he had to keep drinking.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bischoff pulled out the big guns to win back the ratings war and after the Tonight Show segments failed how can you blame him for giving up hope, if that didn't work nothing would have

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dawgstar posted:

If you listen to Bischoff's podcast, and I'm not saying you should, it's clear he remembers very little about what went on so it's automatically not super interesting unlike Bret and his obsessive notetaking.

Which is what makes the whole Montreal Thing so tiresome, we have literally recorded conversations between parties documenting what people said and did, but people are still like "It's a work, brother."

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If it was a work, Hebner would've blabbed by now. He'd almost certainly blab on his deathbed.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

"I keep giving them more nWo but the ratings just keep going down..."

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
What made the nWo compelling in the first place is destined to be temporary. Guys can't be invading outsiders forever, eventually they've been around for long enough that they're not outsiders any more.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If it was a work, Hebner would've blabbed by now. He'd almost certainly blab on his deathbed.

It wasn't a work, but it could have been a work without him knowing.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The true worst thing about the Screw Job is how many times it felt like WWE tried to copy and reference it after.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TheKingslayer posted:

The true worst thing about the Screw Job is how many times it felt like WWE tried to copy and reference it after.

It's even worse when a different company does it. TNA seemed to try it at least once a year.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
WCW did it like 4 times in a very short amount of time because Vince Russo is a loving hack.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Speaking of, isn't it just so gross how Hogan's bullshit sabotaged Bret's debut and Sting's victory at 'Cade 97? I know some people give Hogan a benefit of a doubt for whatever reason but that behavior is nothing new. It's one of those things that will always bug me about WCW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yes, he absolutely shat on a year-long build to a highly-anticipated showdown. If, among other things, Bischoff wasn't a mark for the nWo, it should have been the launchpad for the kind of success WWE had with Austin and Rock.