Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Mat_Drinks posted:

And I didn't say I wanted sexy! I want a fast box! :)

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Edward IV posted:

Also if you're looking at something like the Renegade but want good reliability, you may want to consider the Subaru Crosstrek, especially with the manual. The manual models perform very similar to each other with neither greatly beating the other. The Renegade's greater height gives it more headroom while the Crosstrek's longer wheelbase and length gives it more legroom and cargo capacity.

Crosstrek will be great but US gets dog poo poo 5 speed while the rest of the world gets the 6 speed. Do they just have a ton of 5's still sitting around? Also isn't direct injection coming in another year?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

The displacement is ok, but is it available in painter's tape blue?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Christobevii3 posted:

Crosstrek will be great but US gets dog poo poo 5 speed while the rest of the world gets the 6 speed. Do they just have a ton of 5's still sitting around? Also isn't direct injection coming in another year?

I took the Crosstrek for a test drive and it's ungodly slow. The Crosstrek more than any other modern subaru could really benefit from a better engine before even addressing the number of gears it has. My '94 Accord had about the same power and was only off on the MPG by like 3 or 4. The only car I test drove that was slower and more sluggish than the Crosstrek was the HR-V. Just awful.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Subaru needs to make a Crosstrek WRX happen.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BoostCreep posted:

I took the Crosstrek for a test drive and it's ungodly slow. The Crosstrek more than any other modern subaru could really benefit from a better engine before even addressing the number of gears it has. My '94 Accord had about the same power and was only off on the MPG by like 3 or 4. The only car I test drove that was slower and more sluggish than the Crosstrek was the HR-V. Just awful.

One of the main reasons I didn't even shop the crosstrek was the engine it got. And the fact that like all of the options packages added the CVT.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Engine doesn't seem to be hurting their sales. They are selling them as fast as they can build them.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Guinness posted:

Subaru needs to make a Crosstrek WRX happen.

YES!

And all turbo Subaru's need to have prominent hoodscoops again. :colbert:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I was interested in the CrossTrek until I realized it had ~150 horsepower.

:lol:

They're selling well because people are stupid.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fknlo posted:

One of the main reasons I didn't even shop the crosstrek was the engine it got. And the fact that like all of the options packages added the CVT.

Previa_fun posted:

I was interested in the CrossTrek until I realized it had ~150 horsepower.

:lol:

They're selling well because people are stupid.

Haha holy crap that's horrible. People are buying them because they think they need it to drive on the gravel road to the hill over looking the valley for a picnic like in the commercial, that could be done with literally any other car besides a McClaren P1 or something.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

People are buying them because it drives well and gives a good upright seating position without having to buy something larger and it's priced $2k cheaper than Honda or Toyota's competition.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Subaru seems to have developed a pathological fear of power, to go along with their penchant for building horrible transmissions (especially the automatics, but... c'mon guys, let's get 6-speeds across the board).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

They also havent made a decent looking car in like 8+ years. BRZ not included (because they didnt design it)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

leica posted:

Haha holy crap that's horrible. People are buying them because they think they need it to drive on the gravel road to the hill over looking the valley for a picnic like in the commercial, that could be done with literally any other car besides a McClaren P1 or something.

I guarantee you I've hauled more poo poo and done more "offroading" in my Golf than 75% of truck owners and probably 99% of CUV owners. But they totally need it to get a bag of mulch or two from Home Depot once a year.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
When I drove one, it was pretty much a high-riding Impreza wagon with slightly nicer interior bits. I do think it looks better than the Impreza though.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

fknlo posted:

I guarantee you I've hauled more poo poo and done more "offroading" in my Golf than 75% of truck owners and probably 99% of CUV owners. But they totally need it to get a bag of mulch or two from Home Depot once a year.

I regularly use my e30 to haul around construction equipment and tear up private dirt roads. TBQH it's better off-road than most CUV's, mainly because BMW thought about things like "hey we should design it so that driving off road doesn't kick rocks up all over your paint" just spray down the wheel arches + rear apron after a day sliding around on gravel and I'm good. When I put rear flaps on it, I won't even have to bother with the apron.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've driven my Mustang on decently maintained gravel roads. As long as there aren't deep ruts or waterbars, you can drive pretty much anything "off-road", and even then you can do it with a bit of caution. Just look at the Top Gear Patagonia special.

Granted, it's not nearly as fun as bombing up logging roads without giving a gently caress in the FJ Cruiser (yeah, I think I was the only person in history that took it off-pavement).

PT6A fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 20, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

People don't haul with pickups, race with sports cars or offroad with 4x4s and this offends me to the point where i have to mention it any time either of those come up.

I saw a 7 seat SUV the other day with only 1 person it it, and raged so hard i almost blacked out. I would have pulled over for safety, but i only just got my tires up to temperature and was already halfway to work and didn't want to miss the apex on the remaining corners in my commute due to cold tires.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

People don't haul with pickups, race with sports cars or offroad with 4x4s and this offends me to the point where i have to mention it any time either of those come up.

I saw a 7 seat SUV the other day with only 1 person it it, and raged so hard i almost blacked out. I would have pulled over for safety, but i only just got my tires up to temperature and was already halfway to work and didn't want to miss the apex on the remaining corners in my commute due to cold tires.

This, but unironically.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

If the SUV had a twelve point buck strapped to the roof and Mossy Oak mudflaps I could almost forgive it. Almost.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

leica posted:

Have you never seen a Taxtherich video?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I stand corrected, the Ferrari Enzo is a MUCH better off road vehicle than a Subaru CrossTrek.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Then I had to go on my little errand out to Balls Deep Snohomish and was glad I put my new tires on, theres actual sheet ice on the road I touched it to see. Tires worked amazing!

And then this loving thing. 5hp. 30 gallon. 200 loving pounds easy. 50 bucks. Perhaps overkill :v:

It just matters how much effort you feel like putting into something.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A friend of mine just got a brand new hyundai accent for $11k flat out the door

They've got over 4 grand on the hood of the $13,600 base model essentially making A/C a $6000 option.

e: Before destination and taxes, the listed price of the car is $9,100. That's $9,100 canadian. $7,013 USD, HALF of the US price.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 20, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You can't buy an Accent without AC in the US. So, you can't really do an apples to apples comparison.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bull3964 posted:

You can't buy an Accent without AC in the US. So, you can't really do an apples to apples comparison.

Yeah, but unlike the micra, the accent is actually sold in the US, so i can't imagine there would be much preventing americans who wanted to from dropping $8500 on a canadian one and sweating out the summers.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but unlike the micra, the accent is actually sold in the US, so i can't imagine there would be much preventing americans who wanted to from dropping $8500 on a canadian one and sweating out the summers.

There's no way that you can actually do this, right? F150s cost less in Canada, I'd expect people to be moving them across the border regularly if you could buy Canadian cars as an American.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

There's no way that you can actually do this, right? F150s cost less in Canada, I'd expect people to be moving them across the border regularly if you could buy Canadian cars as an American.

I would think there is. I know tons of cars flow the other way. Most raptors sold here came in from the states.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
You 100% can't legally, and uncle sam will crush your poo poo if they find it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Network42 posted:

drat, sticker on a Canadian Fiesta ST is 16514.48 US Dollar. I'd do a fly and drive for that!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Canadians screwing hard working Americans on auto prices yet again :argh:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Network42 posted:

Yet another reason to laugh at the 'freest country in the world :911:' bullshit I have to listen to all the time. :jerkbag:

Like paying taxes on foreign income if you expatriate. 'Free' my loving cock.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Network42 posted:

Are you sure? a quick search suggests they changed their rules in 2012 to say any vehicle built after sept 1, 2012 that meets CMVSS standards is assumed to meet NHTSA standards, and is eligible for importation.

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=NHTSA-2012-0119-0002

e: According to this, if the emissions equipment is identical to the US version, anyone can import it with a letter of compliance from the manufacturer. Cars coming into canada from the US need a letter from the manufacturer saying all recalls have been completed, so i can't imagine this is impossible.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 20, 2015

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Especially now with how poor the Canadian dollar is, I'd imagine the US would be throwing their money around buying up "cheap" Canadian models and importing. Pretty sure there's a list of eligible models and what modifications ate required for importation.

Going US to Canada is pretty standard fare, one requirement being a speedometer that's able to read in kph. With how much manufacturers are building "world" models I don't think anything modern will need much of anything for import.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

It seems like this should be something I've heard about if it's that easy, otherwise there's a huge arbitrage opportunity being missed. Sticker price on a Golf TDI in Canada is under $18k USD, there's that mythical $7k Accent posted about up the page, and in general cars look far cheaper in Canada at the moment because 1 USD buys $1.30 Canadian.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

It's certainly possible to do, especially with new vehicles, though some dealers might look down their nose or downright refuse to sell to you if they find out that's what you're up to. And some manufactures will make a big fuss about not honouring a warranty for a car bought in the other country. Whenever the exchange rate skews too far one way or the other there's a whole lot of cross border vehicle shopping that goes on.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think you can call the manufacturer 1-800 customer service numbers, say you are moving from Canada, and get the similar letter you need to import your substandard Canadian Fiat 124 turbos.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

loving computers!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
The old dudes at the parts counter were right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

loving Chrysler, more like.

What possible reason is there for the loving transmission to be internet-accessible while the car is in motion? Why is that a thing that's possible? Obviously, security can never be perfect, but it just seems like they put the exact same thought into this computer system that they do into every part of every other vehicle they build: that is to say, loving nothing beyond getting the absolute cheapest price.