Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Can't you just re-install and pick a different language? Or is the license ONLY for the Chinese version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Bob Morales posted:

Can't you just re-install and pick a different language? Or is the license ONLY for the Chinese version?

From what I've understood it's a chinese specific license. I can change the language pack but certain characteristics remain chinese. Some of the sites I've seen actually show some screenshots of it and I think I just want regular ol' w10.

I'd love to be wrong, but they kind of address that head on, which is great.

Also, does anybody have any input on where the best place to buy one of these is and what their experience with getting it shipped to USA (north east) has been?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I got tired of waiting for the 11" macbook air to pop up on the refurbished store, so can someone recommend something that's

- about as lightweight as the air
- good enough for development (probably going to install Arch on it), running VMs/docker, matlab simulations etc; a decent processor basically
- dont care about graphics card or gaming
- less than 900 usd
- not lenovo, i don't want to touch them after that superfish nonsense

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 12, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

tekz posted:

I got tired of waiting for the 11" macbook air to pop up on the refurbished store, so can someone recommend something that's

- about as lightweight as the air
- good enough for development (probably going to install Arch on it), running VMs/docker, matlab simulations etc; a decent processor basically
- dont care about graphics card or gaming
- less than 900 usd
- not lenovo, i don't want to touch them after that superfish nonsense

Is the 12" not fast enough?

Not sure where the current 11" Air falls on that chart.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
It's a cost thing for me. The 11" was up on the refurbished store for a pretty cheap price for a while, but it's gone now and the other models I see there are out of my budget.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The keyboard on the MB Air is really nice, I like it a lot.

The keyboard on the new 12" MB is painful for me to use, my fingers expect key travel and I just end up pounding on the keys with my fingertips. Some people adjust to it pretty quick, I guess I'm just spoiled by my laptop.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

tekz posted:

It's a cost thing for me. The 11" was up on the refurbished store for a pretty cheap price for a while, but it's gone now and the other models I see there are out of my budget.

I just got a 2016 8/256 model for $775 from Best Buy last week

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Atomizer posted:

This is what you're looking for. 3 display outputs, 60 W of power back to the host, multiple extra USB ports including a Type C, etc. Note what the product description says about Mac compatibility and the video output limitations. If you have further questions about it I can provide more assistance.

Well poo poo, that will also work with my XPS laptop as well, bonus. Thanks, ordered and will check it out.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Statutory Ape posted:

I've been researching a lot of laptops and have pretty much decided that for what I want the Xiaomi Air 13.3 (new one with mx150, i5) is probably what I should buy.
*snip*

So,

1. According to Techtablets and Mobile Tech Review, It has a Windows 10 Home license in the BIOS, just reinstall the OS from any Windows 10 ISO and it should activate fine in English.
2. You can't upgrade to windows 10 for free anymore, but it doesn't matter, see 1
3. i7 is probably a waste, and yes it should charge from a power bank, and yes you can add another m.2 SATA drive (but not another NVME).

Basically the major downsides to that machine are:

- You have to be handy because good luck getting service
- Even if you are handy, parts will be hard to find
- It's a good deal now, but it'll be a GREAT deal when they refresh for 8th gen processors. Gearbest, Banggood, etc tend to blow out old models at crazy prices when new ones show up.

So if none of that is a dealbreaker, do it. I'm probably going to get one as well, but I'm waiting for the inevitable flash sale.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys also been researching laptops and not too sure what would be good for me.

I'm looking for a laptop that I can run Premiere, Lightroom and some light computer programming (Unity) on. For playing actual games, the extent would be Tabletop Simulator and Hearthstone.

The thing I want the most though is either hdmi or DisplayPort out. I'm sure that's a common thing now a days but :shrug:

Budget wise I'd like to stick towards a $1000. Is that doable with one of the OP computers? I was looking at the Acer Predator thing but it looks way too dweeby to have in a professional setting so I'd perfer the laptop look fairly normal.

Thanks all ❤️❤️

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
that Helios 300 is your best bet in that price range, but yes it's dweeby and huge. I would look at the Inspiron 15 7000, just make sure to get the one with the 1060 in it, not the 1050ti. It's a huge step up in graphics power for not much money.

edit: vvvv oh, word, that's awesome. I thought they just killed the program when it "officially" ended.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 12, 2017

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

2. You can't upgrade to windows 10 for free anymore
You can still do a clean Windows 10 install with pretty much any Windows 7 or 8 key. If you were so inclined, you could also pretend to be blind, futz around with assistive technology (like the screen magnifier) a bit and still do the upgrade for free from a Windows 7 or 8 install as well.

I've heard of the occasional failure and it's never really clear why, but as a general principle Microsoft isn't too picky.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

that Helios 300 is your best bet in that price range, but yes it's dweeby and huge. I would look at the Inspiron 15 7000, just make sure to get the one with the 1060 in it, not the 1050ti. It's a huge step up in graphics power for not much money.

Cool thank you I appreciate it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

So,

1. According to Techtablets and Mobile Tech Review, It has a Windows 10 Home license in the BIOS, just reinstall the OS from any Windows 10 ISO and it should activate fine in English.
2. You can't upgrade to windows 10 for free anymore, but it doesn't matter, see 1

You absolutely can do windows 10 from those keys, I did it twice in the last week, but thank you for the rest of your research- good to know about the bios/english thing.

The 8th gen refresh thing crossed my mind too. I googled around for a bit on a timeframe on that but the most recent announcement I saw re: any of their products was the 14 incher they're doing.

Theres no pressing need for me to buy it this very second but some form of mobile gaming would be nice within the next few weeks. I'm moving back closer to my social group so I'll be finally able to nerd out in person again. Another option kicking around in my skull was Helios 300 + an XP3 13 or something similar but this idea kinda covered all the bases for less money.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I have a Razer Blade for when I need to do video editing on the go, and a thinkpad x260 for when I don't, and it's a pretty good way to live. I paid practically nothing for the x260 though, otherwise it would be hard to justify especially considering how portable the Blade is already. Still, even if I bought both new it would be less than a specced out 15" macbook pro, so that's something I guess.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can entry level MacBooks play light steam 3D games like Tabletop simulator?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hey Laptop megathread.

I had to swing by an Office Depot to pick up a new invoice pad for work, and I happened to notice this deal going on:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/286178/HP-Pavilion-Power-15-cb010nr-Laptop/

For $850 bucks, an i5-7300HQ, 12 GB DDR4, GTX 1050 4GB, 1 TB spinning rust, 15.6 1080p IPS display, 1x USB 3.1 type C port, 70 Wh battery... it's not exactly execrable, is it? It's probably actually a pretty good back-to-school computer, once you throw in a proper SSD and straighten out the RAM.

I'd 100% have gotten on it if it had a 1050Ti at that price, that's for sure.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 13, 2017

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Need a laptop recommendation. My aging desktop is giving up the ghost. Probably the most intensive thing I'll need it for is Adobe CC, pretty much just Photoshop and illustrator at this point, but I might dabble in animation at some point. I know a desktop is better suited to this use case, but I'm honestly kind of tired of the limited mobility of a desktop. I have a suspicion that a new laptop, will probably perform better than my ~7 year old desktop at this point anyway. I'm pretty out of the loop w/ what's going on with PC poo poo these days. I can spend $1k max, but would like to keep it sub $700. Thanks!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

SwissArmyDruid posted:

For $850 bucks, an i5-7300HQ, 12 GB DDR4, GTX 1050 4GB, 1 TB spinning rust, 15.6 1080p IPS display, 1x USB 3.1 type C port, 70 Wh battery... it's not exactly execrable, is it? It's probably actually a pretty good back-to-school computer, once you throw in a proper SSD and straighten out the RAM.

Meh.

You can get an Inspiron 15 7000 with a 1050ti and a 256gb ssd for $899 brand new straight from Dell. Only 8gb ram, but if you care enough to need more than that you probably also care enough to have proper dual channel instead of mismatched chips.

I mean it's not a terrible deal, but it's not super competitive, and dealing with HP is significantly less fun than dealing with Dell when things go wrong.

dog nougat posted:

Need a laptop recommendation. My aging desktop is giving up the ghost. Probably the most intensive thing I'll need it for is Adobe CC, pretty much just Photoshop and illustrator at this point, but I might dabble in animation at some point. I know a desktop is better suited to this use case, but I'm honestly kind of tired of the limited mobility of a desktop. I have a suspicion that a new laptop, will probably perform better than my ~7 year old desktop at this point anyway. I'm pretty out of the loop w/ what's going on with PC poo poo these days. I can spend $1k max, but would like to keep it sub $700. Thanks!

You should look into the machine I just mentioned, actually. It's not a bad desktop replacement, but if you can stretch another hundo for the model with a 1060 you'll get a couple more years out of it.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 13, 2017

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

dog nougat posted:

Dell XPS 13 or Dell XPS 15 is going to have the best display for graphics work, you can get a well equipped XPS 13 for less than $1K out the door, and yeah it's going to blow the doors off your 2010 era PC. Per thread performance ought to be about double.

I would get the XPS 13 and then plug it in to your existing monitor.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Ok, good to know. I'm concerned about the XPS only having integrated graphics. Some cursory googling seems to indicate that Photoshop offloads certain tasks to a dedicated gpu for smoother performance. I feel like I might be better off with a model that has a gpu. It's pretty much hobby level stuff at this point, but it'd be nice to have some modicum of usefulness for the foreseeable future.

Let's imagine that cost isn't an issue. What laptop would be my best bet for my use case?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Meh.

You can get an Inspiron 15 7000 with a 1050ti and a 256gb ssd for $899 brand new straight from Dell. Only 8gb ram, but if you care enough to need more than that you probably also care enough to have proper dual channel instead of mismatched chips.

I was reasonably certain that wasn't right, and that a 7000 Gaming laptop configured like that was at least $100 more... you were right, with the sale Dell is running at the moment, it just blows the OfficeDepot one out of the water.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

I've been researching a lot of laptops and have pretty much decided that for what I want the Xiaomi Air 13.3 (new one with mx150, i5) is probably what I should buy.

Reasons I want it: Looks very handsome, charges via USB-C, solid specs, can add a second HD if i want (i think?) has a DGPU, is not heavy or large.

The chinese windows 10 isn't ideal but I was thinking that craigslist has a bunch of computers that have windows 7 licenses for like, $40. I've just the other day upgraded two computers from 8.1 to w10 for free and I heard w7 can do the same thing? So I could grab a license cheaply that way, right? I googled a bit to see how to transfer a license and it seems like it's not rocket science.

Right now my only portable PC device is a asus x205t or whatever. I don't think its even 2 lbs. Just want something with more oomph but is still really light. Considered XPS13 and if it came with an MX150 i'd probably pull the trigger but the DGPU would give me some pretty great flexibility.

So I guess tl;dr for web browsing, playing some stuff like Insurgency/CS:GO/Diablo3/WoW/Chivalry occasionally (i have a desktop at home, so this would be if I went to a friends to LAN around or whtever) this seems like a good bet.

My question is, is the i7 version an absolute waste of money for me (it seems so) and is there another computer I should be looking at? I don't really care about price. The whole USB-C (i have galaxy s8) is a huge thing for me so I don't have to bring a bunch of cords. Also it seems like I should be able to use my mobile power bank thing to greatly extend the battery life if necessary?

I have the previous-gen Mi Air 13 with the 940MX, it's nice for what it is, a portable, gaming-capable laptop. The build quality, which I'm sure is similar if not identical to the revised model, is simple, utilitarian, but nice. Basically just slabs of metal with no engraving or accenting, chiclet keys. Nothing super-pretty, just a solid build. (And I think the plastic, body-colored keycaps are what give it a chintzy look to me, but that's not why I bought the system.)

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like the new model, like the one I have, has 2x m.2 slots; one NVMe and one SATA. The included SSD should occupy the former slot, which is fine because a large SATA SSD for bulk storage would be just fine.

You can find OEM Win10 keys on eBay for cheap (<$10) if you look for "broken motherboard" listings, especially from the UK, where they can be legally re-sold (or so I've been told :shrug:.)

All of the U-series Intel CPUs are pretty much the same, just variants of dual-core Hyperthreaded CPUs. There might be differences in cache or Turbo Boost in addition to base clocks, but an i7-U is just a faster i5-U which is just a faster i3-U; there's a more significant difference compared to an i5-HQ (quad-core) or i7-HQ (quad-core Hyperthreaded.)

You should be able to charge the laptop from a Type-C power bank if it can output 45 or maybe 60 W.

Bob Morales posted:

These Chinese devices come with a special "Windows 10 CN" edition that is not licensed for other versions of Windows. You can change the OS language to English, but some elements (and pre-created folders) stay in Chinese and they usually ship these with a previously-used, password-less administrator account. Your best bet is going to be to wipe them and reinstall your own version of Windows.

Statutory Ape posted:

Also, does anybody have any input on where the best place to buy one of these is and what their experience with getting it shipped to USA (north east) has been?

I bought mine, and another device (a phone) from gearbest.com; I wouldn't hesitate to order from one of the larger Chinese eTailers (banggood, aliexpress) as long as it's with a credit card or Paypal, something with buyer protection. It's not that I had any problems, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I don't remember how long my stuff took to arrive (two separate orders) but it wasn't unreasonable for something coming from China, maybe a couple weeks? Here's the listing for the model you're looking for.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

- It's a good deal now, but it'll be a GREAT deal when they refresh for 8th gen processors. Gearbest, Banggood, etc tend to blow out old models at crazy prices when new ones show up.

So if none of that is a dealbreaker, do it. I'm probably going to get one as well, but I'm waiting for the inevitable flash sale.

You're especially right about that; the previous model is available at quite a nice price now. At <$700 that's worth considering to anyone looking at one of those Acer E15s; the ones with the 940MX and SSD go for about $580 new on Amazon (less if you hunt on eBay,) so for only about $100 more you get a slimmer, more portable version. Don't me wrong, the Xiaomi still only has a 1 GB 940MX, but it's still gaming-capable.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Hey guys also been researching laptops and not too sure what would be good for me.

I'm looking for a laptop that I can run Premiere, Lightroom and some light computer programming (Unity) on. For playing actual games, the extent would be Tabletop Simulator and Hearthstone.

The thing I want the most though is either hdmi or DisplayPort out. I'm sure that's a common thing now a days but :shrug:

Budget wise I'd like to stick towards a $1000. Is that doable with one of the OP computers? I was looking at the Acer Predator thing but it looks way too dweeby to have in a professional setting so I'd perfer the laptop look fairly normal.

Thanks all ❤️❤️

Do you even need a $1k gaming laptop or would a much less-expensive MX150, 940MX, or Intel iGPU system suffice? I'd suggest something like this to fit your budget if the performance is sufficient.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Hey Laptop megathread.

I had to swing by an Office Depot to pick up a new invoice pad for work, and I happened to notice this deal going on:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/286178/HP-Pavilion-Power-15-cb010nr-Laptop/

I'd 100% have gotten on it if it had a 1050Ti at that price, that's for sure.

That's not a bad system, but you can generally find the same thing, refurbished, on eBay closer to $700. I'd rather go with that than pay for a new one with an HDD and base 1050. Plus, $850 is way too close to the Acer Helios which for only $200 more gets you a better CPU, more RAM, SSD, and most importantly a better GPU. I mean the GPU alone is probably worth a $200 upgrade, because the desktop equivalents are, what, $100-150 apart, plus the performance gulf is significant, and on top of that you're not going to be able to upgrade that part in a laptop so you're stuck with what you start with years down the line.

dog nougat posted:

dog nougat posted:

Ok, good to know. I'm concerned about the XPS only having integrated graphics. Some cursory googling seems to indicate that Photoshop offloads certain tasks to a dedicated gpu for smoother performance. I feel like I might be better off with a model that has a gpu. It's pretty much hobby level stuff at this point, but it'd be nice to have some modicum of usefulness for the foreseeable future.

Let's imagine that cost isn't an issue. What laptop would be my best bet for my use case?

Now to be honest I haven't used Photoshop in years, but I'm assuming you could get by with a typical Intel ULV CPU and modest GPU. If that's the case, I'll give you the same recommendation as above.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah dont really need a gaming laptop at all. I guess at that point should I look into a 2 in 1 also just for the convenience?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

dog nougat posted:

Integrated graphics these days are roughly equivalent to a 570 GTX these days, perhaps slightly better. Integrated GPUs more than doubled in power in 2012 and continue to make big leaps each year.

The XPS 15 has a dedicated GPU if money is no object. The Razr model is pretty good too, otherwise look at a MacBook pro. Given how long you will probably keep the thing you want to avoid buying a plastic case laptop and stick with a business class laptop with a GPU.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I need a desktop for browsing under 300 for my dad, as the computer he is using is choking real bad on its disc, and is so old just about anything new would beat it like a drum. I've heard of those Chromeboxs, which might be able to fit what I need. What would be wrong with this one?: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-c...p?skuId=4445931

Its got wifi, its pretty small, but it has all the ports I would probably need to hook it up, and chrome os is lightweight, so it doesn't need that much in the way of processing speed to get things done right? It also is a pretty well managed environment with little to gently caress up, so are there any reasons not to buy it?

Asking in this thread since chromebooks have been discussed in the past, which are kinda like chromeboxs.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Link isn't working, for me anyway. Personally I wouldn't buy any Chrome OS device for more than $99. If it was me I'd pick up a refurb i5 machine on the off chance you do want to do more than browse. Like this

Laptop touchpad not working. Replaced the LCD in it, the touchpad was acting a bit weird after that until it just went all together. Nothing appears under mice in device manager/mouse settings, and its not just the hotkey that disables the touchpad on the laptop. External mouse works fine. I've connected and reconnected the ribbon cable a dozen times. What next?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 13, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

codo27 posted:

Link isn't working, for me anyway. Personally I wouldn't buy any Chrome OS device for more than $99. If it was me I'd pick up a refurb i5 machine on the off chance you do want to do more than browse.

Laptop touchpad not working. Replaced the LCD in it, the touchpad was acting a bit weird after that until it just went all together. Nothing appears under mice in device manager/mouse settings, and its not just the hotkey that disables the touchpad on the laptop. External mouse works fine. I've connected and reconnected the ribbon cable a dozen times. What next?

Try manually installing the driver .inf, see if that picks it up?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ended up there was a BIOS update that specifically mentioned the touchpad. I loving downloaded it before I even posted but because I'm retarded or whatever I forgot. Had to go into the BIOS after updating and change it from advanced to basic but it works now.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 13, 2017

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

With the new intel series coming out, is now kind of a bad time to buy a laptop similar to how buying one with a 900 series DGPU would be right before pascal came out?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Statutory Ape posted:

With the new intel series coming out, is now kind of a bad time to buy a laptop similar to how buying one with a 900 series DGPU would be right before pascal came out?

If you want multithreaded CPU performance and are buying in the 15W TDP slot (-U chips), then now is a bad time to buy. The XPS 13 doubling its core count overnight is a big deal. Changes on fatter laptops don't look as big.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Twerk from Home posted:

If you want multithreaded CPU performance and are buying in the 15W TDP slot (-U chips), then now is a bad time to buy. The XPS 13 doubling its core count overnight is a big deal. Changes on fatter laptops don't look as big.

Alright that kinda looks how I was figuring. Starting to look like I might kinda do what that other guy suggested and grab a Helios 300 and then something thats a bit more portable and supported than the Xiaomi Air 13.3, even though I love the looks and USB-C of the Xiaomi.

For something like the XPS 13 that charges via USB-C as well as a circular plug (as far as I understand the product) does it charge slower through USB C than the plug or whats the deal there? Is there terminology that I should look for wrt charging a device via USB-C to make sure its supported? As I mentioned before that was actually one of the biggest draws for me with the Xiaomi Air.

I'm starting to also consider the Samsung Pro as well since I mainly just need something that uses chrome, IRC, and can torrent small files occasionally, which it seems like a chromebook can do all of, and it looks like its easy enough to throw Ubuntu on there anyway which sounds fun. Good battery/light weight/snappy response/USB-C. The HP Spectre 13 looks like it fits the bill too but the fact that its HP just annoys me, which is probably unjustified.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

For whatever reason when intel releases new CPUs the inventory is pretty tight at the beginning, only a few laptops get the new CPUs and the rollout is pretty slow.

It's not a terrible time to buy a laptop, battery life isn't improving a whole lot and besides getting hyperthreaded i5 there's not a whole lot that differs from the current generation, and not a lot between current gen and last gen. You're looking at less than 5% improvement in per thread performance, and I think you'll find it rare to exceed 15% CPU on most day to day tasks so those extra 4 threads aren't buying the average facebook/youtube/netflix user a whole lot.

If you compile software on your laptop a lot, or you do data science of any kind, you might want to wait, but laptops haven't appreciably gotten better since Haswell (late 2013) just moderate improvements in battery life (10 hrs vs 8 hrs). RAM and SSD vs Rotational drive are going to be bigger factors on performance at this point.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I, for one, cannot wait until non-2.5 inch SSDs become the firmly-established norm, and then all that bleeping volume can be used for MORE BATTERY.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Well m.2 isn't getting any goddamn density improvement. 960 pro has been the only 2tb available for how long now?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

yeah dont really need a gaming laptop at all. I guess at that point should I look into a 2 in 1 also just for the convenience?

The only reason you'd look for a 2-in-1/convertible (i.e. a touchscreen laptop with a 360° hinge or a tablet with detachable keyboard) is if you specifically plan to use those capabilities, not simply to have them just in case. I think the detachable-keyboard tablet designs (e.g. Surface) are most useful specifically as a tablet with occasional hardware keyboard usage because they tend to be top-heavy and unstable. The "flip" designs are more usable in that they're either a regular laptop or when you need it they can be conveniently converted to display video in any position, or you can very easily use them in tablet mode for easy browsing or drawing.

The downsides of such devices include what I already mentioned about the detachable designs, as well as the fact that the flippable laptops are often bigger and/or more expensive than regular laptops and are awkward as tablets. Thus, like I said, you should only get such a device if you explicitly will take advantage of the added features they present.

With that being said, I recommended one of those Acer E15 940MX laptops to my brother and he ended up buying either this or something nearly identical, and it's basically just the convertible version of the E15 (which makes sense, as Acer makes other "R11", "R13", etc. convertibles, so that R must be their designation for such designs.) In the end it's basically the same thing (plus touchscreen & 360° hinge) albeit slightly less easily upgraded IIRC.

thechosenone posted:

I need a desktop for browsing under 300 for my dad, as the computer he is using is choking real bad on its disc, and is so old just about anything new would beat it like a drum. I've heard of those Chromeboxs, which might be able to fit what I need. What would be wrong with this one?: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-c...p?skuId=4445931

Its got wifi, its pretty small, but it has all the ports I would probably need to hook it up, and chrome os is lightweight, so it doesn't need that much in the way of processing speed to get things done right? It also is a pretty well managed environment with little to gently caress up, so are there any reasons not to buy it?

Asking in this thread since chromebooks have been discussed in the past, which are kinda like chromeboxs.

That's actually a perfectly reasonable selection, as the CPU is fine and it has a typical 4 GB of RAM (plus the Chromeboxes are often easily upgraded in either the RAM or possibly the storage department - disregard the latter for now, and it looks like you can add in another 4 GB of RAM which is pretty cheap.)

ChromeOS is lightweight and like I said, that CPU is just fine (it's actually a Broadwell part, in other words similar to the Core i-5k series). Basically if he can do everything he needs in a browser (e-mail, video, etc.) ChromeOS will be just fine, and it's pretty much bulletproof - the only troubleshooting he'll have to do with it is to occasionally power-cycle it.

The only reason not to buy it would be because you could get a similar Chromebook for around the same price; I haven't actually checked Chromebox/Chromebase prices recently because of that very reason. For example, this is a Chromebook I frequently recommend for people who want the biggest display (15.6") available on any CB, and as you can see it's basically the same specs as that Chromebox but you can get it refurbished for ~$245. I would say an extra 15" FHD monitor for $15 is a good upgrade! It also has twice the local storage, although that's not really relevant because you're going to want to use remote storage anyway, and you get 15 GB free from Google to start with. Note that if you do start poking around for other CBs, or even other similar Acer models, there are multiple variations with different CPUs, RAM capacities, and even display resolutions, so double-check everything (and possibly post here if you'd like) before making a final purchase. You do not want 2 GB of RAM, an N28xx CPU, or a low-resolution display on anything bigger than 11".

If you don't want to deal with used/refurbished (which really isn't a problem, though) then to answer your question, no, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that Chromebox for your Dad at that price! (Although I found it for $10 cheaper on Amazon, btw! :cheeky:)

codo27 posted:

Link isn't working, for me anyway. Personally I wouldn't buy any Chrome OS device for more than $99. If it was me I'd pick up a refurb i5 machine on the off chance you do want to do more than browse. Like this

Yeah, you're not going to find many ChromeOS devices for <$100 except for the occasional Haier/Hisense or similar (which are hardly worth it IMO) so be reasonable with your recommendations in this thread please, OK? If you don't "personally" like ChromeOS that's fine, but it works for plenty of people.

That Lenovo desktop is fine for the money, but he absolutely, 100% needs to do a SSD upgrade for the OS drive. There's no denying the performance boost it provides, so he'd have to budget for it and then actually do the work reinstalling Windows & finding drivers or cloning & restoring.

Statutory Ape posted:

Alright that kinda looks how I was figuring. Starting to look like I might kinda do what that other guy suggested and grab a Helios 300 and then something thats a bit more portable and supported than the Xiaomi Air 13.3, even though I love the looks and USB-C of the Xiaomi.

For something like the XPS 13 that charges via USB-C as well as a circular plug (as far as I understand the product) does it charge slower through USB C than the plug or whats the deal there? Is there terminology that I should look for wrt charging a device via USB-C to make sure its supported? As I mentioned before that was actually one of the biggest draws for me with the Xiaomi Air.

I'm starting to also consider the Samsung Pro as well since I mainly just need something that uses chrome, IRC, and can torrent small files occasionally, which it seems like a chromebook can do all of, and it looks like its easy enough to throw Ubuntu on there anyway which sounds fun. Good battery/light weight/snappy response/USB-C. The HP Spectre 13 looks like it fits the bill too but the fact that its HP just annoys me, which is probably unjustified.

If you have a device that can take a charge from either a proprietary connector and USB Type C Power Delivery, they could potentially charge just as fast as long as you have the same power output from either charger (although I'll point out that I've never personally seen a device that can do both, because if it can take power over Type C they usually just go with that, otherwise it probably means the device needs >100 W of power.) Typically, laptop power supplies output at 45, 60, or even 90 W, with some "gaming" laptops taking much more; USB PD can transfer up to 100 W (in either direction should the need arise) although personally I've never seen greater than a 60 W adapter (e.g. the one that came with my CB Pixel.)

Now as far as USB PD goes, the spec supports multiple combinations of current & voltage, which allows for a range of power outputs (where P=IV) and the host device simply selects the appropriate combination (so you can't "burn out" a device by connecting it to a higher-output supply than it came with.) Basically, if you needed to buy a Type C power supply, just get the highest output one and it will safely charge any appropriate laptop and phone.

In your last paragraph, CBs can indeed do everything you specified, and installing Ubuntu is pretty easy. The Samsung CBs you mentioned are pretty interesting, and aside from the fact that they don't have a backlit keyboard they're pretty well reviewed. I actually have a refurbished CB Plus coming tomorrow from that Woot sale, so I could play around with it and tell you how I feel; the only difference between it and the Pro is the CPU. The Intel CPU is faster, and is better if you're going to delve into Linux proper due to package compatibility since the Plus has an ARM CPU, but the latter fact is why that model has better compatibility with Android apps (which is why I "settled" for that model, although the refurbished Pros being sold out also had something to do with that.)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you so much Atomizer. I ended up with the Acer E15 because yeah wouldn't really use a 2 in 1

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Which Chromebook for my nephew in 6th grade? C720 is recommended in the OP but has since been discontinued. Is there a new recommendation?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hadlock posted:

If you compile software on your laptop a lot, or you do data science of any kind, you might want to wait, but laptops haven't appreciably gotten better since Haswell (late 2013) just moderate improvements in battery life (10 hrs vs 8 hrs). RAM and SSD vs Rotational drive are going to be bigger factors on performance at this point.

This is me. I didn't know that Intel was coming out with a new line of chips and it looks like the release date is this month or next month? Do you guess they'll have the new ones trickling down to Thinkpads or other brands' equivalents by the holidays or new year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hdip posted:

Which Chromebook for my nephew in 6th grade? C720 is recommended in the OP but has since been discontinued. Is there a new recommendation?

Hmm, I thought Chromebooks were big in schools because they were cheap enough for the schools to buy them for the kids. Are you sure your nephew doesn't already have one coming, or perhaps has a school-related discount? Otherwise I can give you specific recommendations.