Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
working on mass producing rocket fuel after finding a nice oil patch cluster. I experimented with a few different ideas for row-tileable blueprints and came up with this lil pattern. 10x6, which is a lot more compact than the other blueprints I came up with, and the blueprint accepts beacons pretty easily.

Next up, seeing if I can figure out the ratios for this blueprint against 25 oil refineries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Almost exactly 72 hours in. I've finally launched the rocket.
Feels surprisingly good, after putting it off for the last 10 hours to solve "other problems".

deltah
Sep 28, 2012
I'm an idiot when it comes to logistic bots, but why would I not want requester chests to come from buffer chests?

I almost always do belts but for a stop gap I'm doing science with bots. I decided to add a buffer chest close by with a supply of several minutes of science for all the labs but it wasn't being used until I remember I had to go update all the requester chests to use it. I feel like I'm missing a reason that isn't the default.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
It originally wasn't even an option. I'm not sure of their reasoning outside of the default matches the behavior before buffer chests were introduced, and is the whole reason they added the toggle.

When you use buffer chests to feed requesters is entirely up to you. Low volume items probably don't need one, though.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

deltah posted:

I'm an idiot when it comes to logistic bots, but why would I not want requester chests to come from buffer chests?

I almost always do belts but for a stop gap I'm doing science with bots. I decided to add a buffer chest close by with a supply of several minutes of science for all the labs but it wasn't being used until I remember I had to go update all the requester chests to use it. I feel like I'm missing a reason that isn't the default.

It creates two jobs for bots(supply requester, resupply buffer) to handle instead of one. That's it. That's the draw back.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Buffer chests are for when you want to make sure a chest has a minimum, and are mostly for things like malls where the player needs to be able to run up and grab a bunch of stacks of something at once.

Every other use case is either best served by a passive provider or filtered storage chest (or general storage chest)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I like them for intermediate chests in a chain of upgradable buildings. Set the limit on the inserter that puts into them lower than the request size on the chest, and any deconstructed buildings will be automatically returned to the supply to be upgraded.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Jabor posted:

I like them for intermediate chests in a chain of upgradable buildings. Set the limit on the inserter that puts into them lower than the request size on the chest, and any deconstructed buildings will be automatically returned to the supply to be upgraded.

I just use filtered storage chests and those seem to serve the same function, while at the same time allowing construction bots to grab from them whenever needed.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Malls should use Storage Chests with Logistic Filters set to the item, and then turn off production when it's like a quarter full.

This allows your bots to restock them whenever you deconstruct, upgrade, or clean out your bags.

It's super handy .

The best example, for me, is red belts. When you upgrade 1000 red belts to blue belts, the bots put the red belts back in the Storage chest first. Then the blue belt factory can recycle them!

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

deltah posted:

Here's a good reason that came up in my base:

I have a battery factory that feeds into a buffer chest. I have a science factory that requests batteries, so that any excess batteries that end up in storage get recycled into science. If the requester was pulling from the buffer, or if the batteries were being fed into a provider/storage, the bots would constantly be moving fresh batteries instead of only recycling the excess.

This applies to any item you don't necessarily want all the time but might want to be able to request for a one off, like spidertron parts.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Locator posted:

I just use filtered storage chests and those seem to serve the same function, while at the same time allowing construction bots to grab from them whenever needed.

Construction bots take out of buffer chests just fine.

Filtered storage chests work okay, until you deconstruct or upgrade more than can fit in a single storage chest, at which point a bunch of stuff gets chucked into other storage chests and will never get moved for recycling.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Jabor posted:

Filtered storage chests work okay, until you deconstruct or upgrade more than can fit in a single storage chest, at which point a bunch of stuff gets chucked into other storage chests and will never get moved for recycling.

My understanding is that bots prioritise taking from storage chests over any other type of chest outside of active providers, though?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Jabor posted:

Ah, I see your point. The buffer chest set to request 4800 red belts would pull all those excess belts out of your main storage when you had deconstructed enough belts to overfill the buffer chest. Never really thought about that. Thanks.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I get the feeling the answer is "no", but is there any way to get stack inserters to actually drop the whole stack on a belt at once instead of "hanging" while the individual items drop? I've reached the point of stack size research where even blue belts can't keep up with offloading and it's introduced a stutter in my train unloading stations. Nothing catastrophic, lack of constant supply is a far larger issue, but it's going to add up over time.

Also regretting not building in more space for joining a second station into the copper feed. Next time around, we smelt offsite at a train fed location and bring that to the bus.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can drop into a splitter, which will halve the amount of time spent waiting for everything to drop. That's about it though.

Once you get into modding the game you can use loaders in places you need super high throughput.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Yeah, my loading station for the new copper mine uses splitters to boost throughput. I'm just super space constricted with the current rail depot layout (there's an image on the previous page) and wasn't sure if there was another adjustment.
Kinda what I get for pulling designs to fit a specific niche I couldn't get working well, there's always going to be some issue that comes up.

edit: a quick check says constraining one inserter to a stack size of 8 should do the trick, I'll set that up tonight

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 9, 2020

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Anti and Nefrums are having a "worst map race" in twoish hours. The last one was hilarious. They each looked for the worst map seed they could find and then give it to the other one. Last time neither managed to even finish the game bc map generation is fine and balanced.

deltah
Sep 28, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

Anti and Nefrums are having a "worst map race" in twoish hours. The last one was hilarious. They each looked for the worst map seed they could find and then give it to the other one. Last time neither managed to even finish the game bc map generation is fine and balanced.

this sounds awesome (it appears they just started).

In my last map I went from a deathworld with trees to a railworld with desert and was blown away at how much desert impacts biter attacks. a quick look seems like both of their maps are deserts. not sure if that is just for biters but also for power poles and stuff.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I didn't realize they'd use land mines to fend off biters. I wonder if that's just because it's a quick defense and doesn't need to withstand tons of biters? Or are landmines better than I've been giving them credit for?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Arcturas posted:

I didn't realize they'd use land mines to fend off biters. I wonder if that's just because it's a quick defense and doesn't need to withstand tons of biters? Or are landmines better than I've been giving them credit for?

I've seen a couple of standard settings runs that use them to do a drive-by on biter bases, the explosions on them are pretty powerful, plus they stun things.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Landmines are cost-effective when dealing with hordes attacking your walls. To deal the same amount of damage by just shooting biters with piercing rounds would require massively more steel, and your only other defensive aoe option is flame turrets.

The better option for most players is to aggressively police your pollution cloud so that you're only ever dealing with small attacks (if any), but you don't have time for that in a speedrun and the map settings on this case have been chosen to make that even less feasible.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Do construction bots automatically re-place landmines when they blow up?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yes.

deltah
Sep 28, 2012
landmines are amazing defense because you can get both them and construction bots relatively close together and then your defense becomes 100% automated (and very resource cheap). this doesn't happen with turrets until you can get logistic bots which are a much bigger step up (yellow science vs blue).

in my last base I went all the way to 1k spm only using landmines. a row of 3-5 stops everything until you get behemoths. once you get behemoths you'll want to reinforce the paths biters use (they always use the same paths so just look at your mine fields and find corpses) and then turn off alerts because mines will constantly be destroyed by spitters as the landmine stuns them, but it takes 3-5 to kill them, and while they are stunned constructions bots are gonna start replacing the previous ones. and unfortunately landmines infinite research is just +20% (or something lovely like that) so it doesn't scale very well to 1 shot behemoths for a very long time.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I finally got some stuff up and running with blockout graphics: A heatpipe furnace, alongside a steam turbine miner.

I've updated my mod with this stuff - mostly i'm updating old dev art sprites with actual 3d modelled sprites (sans colour/anims atm)

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/factorioplus

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 10, 2020

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I'm just imagining the steam turbine spinning incredibly fast to suck up ores into a catchment area like a chaotic vacuum.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Looks like a solid start on models, but something about the angle of view feels wrong. Too top-down maybe?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Minor update to Superheating, now allows users to specify their own fuel values and choose if they want them to override what other mods may have set.

I've been thinking about a mod to add single-use plastic barrels/bladders, as either a supplement to or replacement for steel barrels. The filling recipe would simply be the fluid plus a plastic bar, and the emptying recipe would output only the fluid. There would also be an option to burn the fuel bladders in any burner entity, as there's no need to add burner output slots for the empty barrels.

Any interest in this? I'm thinking it might have niche uses like moving small amounts of fluid around by bot or train, without having to handle returning empties.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm gonna ship cases of bottled water everywhere just in case my character gets thirsty.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

GotLag posted:

Minor update to Superheating, now allows users to specify their own fuel values and choose if they want them to override what other mods may have set.

I've been thinking about a mod to add single-use plastic barrels/bladders, as either a supplement to or replacement for steel barrels. The filling recipe would simply be the fluid plus a plastic bar, and the emptying recipe would output only the fluid. There would also be an option to burn the fuel bladders in any burner entity, as there's no need to add burner output slots for the empty barrels.

Any interest in this? I'm thinking it might have niche uses like moving small amounts of fluid around by bot or train, without having to handle returning empties.

I feel like the plastic barrel in a burner would be indistinguishable from the existing solid fuel.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
That's just an optional extra

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Installing a rail line running northward on what was the right side of my base, moving my entire base to the right side of the rail line, and then doing 90% of my manufacturing on the left side of the new main bus was probably a mistake. Bending these assemblers and belting in supplementary material fills from supplementary factories has gotten very complicated. The green circuit factory just off screen at the top ends on the tile next to my refinery assembly, too, so I've finally run out of space to make this spaghetti spread; now we're in "optimize the poo poo out of it before I have to set up a fourth green circuit factory and a second red circuit factory" territory. Genuinely approaching the idea of a circuit outpost but I have none of the infrastructure to make it happen as of yet.

Requesting your worst spaghetti so I can feel better about my mistakes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There are no mistakes, just happy logistics puzzles.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Well, my bigger mistake is that this factory is not set up to expand past 4 blue belts of copper and iron.

It's started eating entire trains of copper and iron as they come in with significant chunks of downtime. More train supply will help there but I have a bad feeling I'm about to start running into throughput issues on the belt itself.

That's a problem for future me.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

SkyeAuroline posted:

Well, my bigger mistake is that this factory is not set up to expand past 4 blue belts of copper and iron.

It's started eating entire trains of copper and iron as they come in with significant chunks of downtime. More train supply will help there but I have a bad feeling I'm about to start running into throughput issues on the belt itself.

That's a problem for future me.

The solution to this is a secondary base that produces four blue belts of green circuits, thus alleviating the biggest demand

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

First is figuring out remote smelting so I can undo my horrible way-too-close-to-the-rails furnace sprawls and just deliver copper plates.

Then, yes.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Sage Grimm posted:

I'm just imagining the steam turbine spinning incredibly fast to suck up ores into a catchment area like a chaotic vacuum.

Meanwhile, how research is made:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

In my imagination, all I can think of is a small biter chained up and forced to smoke rainbow science bongs all day under a greenhouse dome.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Here's my gratuitously complicated red circuit production for krastorio. Anyone got a better one?

Vanilla red circuits can be done in a lovely flower shape that allows all production to be done locally in tileable blocks. I was trying to figure out something similar but couldn't figure out how to fit plastic in efficiently. This design centers around surrounding the copper wire assembler with as many red circuit assemblers as it can support (4). You need 2 electronic component circuits for every two red circuit producers, so they fit in fairly nicely on the sides. Unfortunately I couldn't find a pleasing pattern to squeeze in local plastic production so I belted it in instead.

It does tile, just barely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I'm guessing this doesn't count, since I'm just bringing in the electronic components instead.

e: also, the Transport Drones mod is lots of fun without feeling quite as overpowered as solving everything with logistic bots.