Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
tis rather oedipal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

You would be against privilege.

It's the most pseudo intellectual contrarian thing you could do.

This might surprise people, but privilege theory as a concept has fairly narrow appeal that's basically limited to sections of American progressives.

Maybe you should check their Amerocentric privilege.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I am starting to regret my earlier statement.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Analyses of systemic problems tend to address how individual behaviors feed into and propagate systemic problems because

This might be a whopper

Individuals are part of systems

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I Before E posted:

Analyses of systemic problems tend to address how individual behaviors feed into and propagate systemic problems because

This might be a whopper

Individuals are part of systems

and systems influence behaviour

IF YOU'RE A DUMBASS LOL YEAH GOT EM

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This might surprise people, but privilege theory as a concept has fairly narrow appeal that's basically limited to sections of American progressives.

hahaha okay sure bud whatever you say

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Maybe you should check their Amerocentric privilege.
Said like a European called out for calling black people monkeys.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
ANYWAY, Maven of Vampire Reviews talks about Hammer's attempt to break into the mainstream blockbuster market with Lifeforce (unfortunately for them just came to be known as that cult vampire movie with the naked lady).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBoZxO4JEQU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

you know botl has said plenty of dumb poo poo but saying studying the inherent benefit of class and race and gender and stuff is the realm of american progressives might be the dumbest thing he's said so far

it's amusing how deep the rabbit hole goes

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Privilege theory is actually a very specific idea. Like notice you wrote "inherent benefit", that's very much a statement informed by privilege theory.

Like the idea you're finding controversial is that there exist other intellectual traditions, and that a concept popular among American progressives might be flawed.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bravest of the lamps subscribes to the intellectual tradition of lying in a giant crib, wrapped warmly in his blankie and his nappie, nice and moist from a full day of pissing and making GBS threads in it until his mommy changes him

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Privilege theory is actually a very specific idea. Like notice you wrote "inherent benefit", that's very much a statement informed by privilege theory.

Like the idea you're finding controversial is that there exist other intellectual traditions, and that a concept popular among American progressives might be flawed.

that's a lot of words that means gently caress all.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hammer just slowly went from being known for innovative horror to being known for lots of boobs in everything.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

cat doter posted:

one tiume a person opn tumblr used this academic term wrong and now you can't say it anymore because it's not real nyway bye

The day shitheads stop going ape over "ECKS DEE TRIGGURD AMIRITE" and playing their weird PTSD denial angle will be a really nice day.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Lmao, was the Socrates Plato thing in Lindsay's new The Whole Plate video a gently caress you to that pedantic dude in this very thread?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sarcopenia posted:

Lmao, was the Socrates Plato thing in Lindsay's new The Whole Plate video a gently caress you to that pedantic dude in this very thread?

I'm going to guess she runs into an equivalent of this pedantic dude on Twitter, in person, on Patreon, etc...

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Yardbomb posted:

The day shitheads stop going ape over "ECKS DEE TRIGGURD AMIRITE" and playing their weird PTSD denial angle will be a really nice day.

lol the same goes for the incredibly predictable progressivist indignation.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Predictable Progressivist Indignation is my percussion-dominant jazz fusion band, do not steal.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm going to guess she runs into an equivalent of this pedantic dude on Twitter, in person, on Patreon, etc...

Given that she tweeted about it around the same time, it's the same one from sa I'm afraid.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I have never had any interaction with her beyond that one time on SA and I didn't even know she was reading the thread then.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Also lol how that was the straw that broke camel's back for her.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kunster posted:

Given that she tweeted about it around the same time, it's the same one from sa I'm afraid.

Wait, this actually happened?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kunster posted:

Wait, what?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Other people might get on her case for it, I dunno. I suspect given the way she put what she said that she was dealing with some other poo poo on and off that site for a while and just kind of snapped.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

it's a more in depth and nuanced view of class you colossal idiot

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Blow me you poo poo eating moron, good on defending those brave misunderstood souls who think PTSD sufferers should just toughen up.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Didn't she say that a bunch of turbonerds piled on her for that irrelevant mistake?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Blow me you poo poo eating moron, good on defending those brave misunderstood souls who think PTSD sufferers should just toughen up.

*in an extremely Zizek voice* ptsd is a creation of ideology

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I unfortunately have an anxiety condition with certain triggers but trigger warnings wouldn't actually help anyway because it's just something you hear a lot from day to day

but I'm ok!!! life is ok, I ate chicken today it tasted pretty good ok bye

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

unless it was a big coincidence, she revealed her identity on the thread and kore or less immediately vented about it on her twitter.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I know it's useless trying to explain large words to you but privilege theory is literally just an evolution of class theory and was first brought up as a major 'thing' by famous middle class white progressive W. E. B. Du Bois

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lindsey Ellis is a great example of someone who dropped their "character" gimmick and is now better for it. Every YouTuber should drop their gimmick and just talk to me like a person.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The gimmick is actually the part where you feel like you're a person instead of a reptilian hell-beast set to enslave the human race.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
this thread loving sucks. I rather have spoony talk than this.

can we talk about internet critics instead of gossiping like hens about stupid inane poo poo? I'll start: LGR talks about the new Cities: Skylines Mass Transit and I love him

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hope Allison talks about the new Baywatch movie the next time she releases a round of Baywatching videos

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

:gas: tbh

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I guess the new Baywatch movie has become a hot front in the alt-right twitter culture war for some reason. I'd know more if I read youtube comments, but I don't really want to.

History books in 50 years are going to be so weird.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The new baywatch looks decent, I guess, but I'm really tired of the whole "bring back an old property but make it a parody of itself" thing that keeps happening

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is Folding Ideas a good dude or was he one of those dudes with the caveat of being a nutjob? I've been watching his video on Suicide Squad's editing and it's pretty good.

He's made some good rear end videos but unfortunately, he has the same brain disease as all internet cynical snarky mens have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Dongicus posted:

He's made some good rear end videos but unfortunately, he has the same brain disease as all internet cynical snarky mens have

seems you have a terminal case

• Locked thread