Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to fill up my dex (almost 90%) and I leveled some Pokémon with happiness using the Soothe Bell... and then I traded them. Without taking off the bell. :negative:

Why does the game not warn you that your Pokémon is holding an item, this is the worst...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
okay so I haven't played Pokemon since red and blue, but I got Moon as a birthday gift and I'm enjoying trying to get one of each, catching them all and whatnot, but I'm feeling a little intimidated by breeding and IVs and EVs. there's a lot of mention of 6IV dittos and how important they are for reasons, but I have no idea how to get/breed one. could someone please explain how I might get one myself, or link me somewhere that does? thanks in advance, sorry if this is a stupid question.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Martian Manfucker posted:

okay so I haven't played Pokemon since red and blue, but I got Moon as a birthday gift and I'm enjoying trying to get one of each, catching them all and whatnot, but I'm feeling a little intimidated by breeding and IVs and EVs. there's a lot of mention of 6IV dittos and how important they are for reasons, but I have no idea how to get/breed one. could someone please explain how I might get one myself, or link me somewhere that does? thanks in advance, sorry if this is a stupid question.

Dont even worry about that yet and just play through the game.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

That Old Ganon posted:

I can also help with this if you also still need them. I wouldn't mind Jangmo-o.

That would be much obliged! I'll be online at around 10:30 EST if that works for you, if not I'll be available all morning tomorrow until around 5 PM

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that only matters for playing against other players. put it out of your mind entirely if you're still doing the main story or don't plan to interact with the online battling stuff

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Dizz posted:

2 broken chains leade me to breed a fuckton of eggs.

100+ eggs later I get what I wanted.

That is clearly Kickpuncher or Punchkicker, not robocop!

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Night Blade posted:

Dont even worry about that yet and just play through the game.

I have! I think. I beat the Pokemon League, at least, and I'm just backtracking and exploring and collecting now.

Manatee Cannon posted:

that only matters for playing against other players. put it out of your mind entirely if you're still doing the main story or don't plan to interact with the online battling stuff

Oh, perfect then. I don't care at all about battling other players. Thanks!

Martian Manfucker fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 1, 2016

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

I have! I think. I beat the Pokemon League, at least and I'm just backtracking and exploring and collecting now.

Here's my method for obtaining that perfect Ditto to breed with:

tyblazitar posted:

It's not 100% guaranteed, but there's a much better method than this. For anyone wanting that perfect Ditto, here's what you do:

1. Make it a habit to go on GTS every little while.
2. When on GTS, search for a Ditto level 91-100. If you're on a Japanese DS, set it to only find from your own region, if you're on any other region, set to "other regions". Turn off legendaries.
3. After making the search, press Y and choose to only display the ones who want a Pokemon you want*.
4. Look for shiny, usually Japanese, level 100 Dittos, usually holding Destiny Knot, often in a Master Ball or Beast Ball.
5. Assuming they want something reasonable, trade ASAP. I got mine for a Dratini, and I saw others looking for things like Toxapex and Goomy.
6. Accept that most times you won't be quick enough and get used to seeing the "This Pokemon has already been traded." message.
7. If the trade goes go through, make sure to actually check the IVs to make sure you didn't get a troll one with 0 in everything (or even worse, 30 in everything).
8. When you finally get your perfect Ditto, tell yourself "Wow, this guy must have been really lucky to find this totally legit shiny 6IV Ditto, and he must have been pretty desperate for that Dratini!".

Your success rate can be enhanced by having a wide variety of sought-after mons readily available. Also, a tip for quick trading that I didn't realize until very recently: When looking for a Pokemon you know you have but can't remember which box it is in, pressing the "display all boxes" button on the bottom will highlight the box that has an eligible Pokemon. Good luck!

*: You might think "but what if they want something I can really easily get?", but the reality is that these Dittos disappear way too quick for you to have time to get it.

EDIT: You can probably skip the region stuff if you want to cast a wider net, although in my experience they're mostly Japanese, and I prefer having a different-language one for Masuda method purposes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm beginning to wonder if there's any limit to what I can get with these beast ball Castforms. If I can get a Porygon-Z with one, that means people will even give trade evolutions, in which case I could probably clear the whole Alolan dex just by breeding them.

Unrelated; so is it confirmed there's no way to get more than one of each kurt ball? It seems awfully cruel to finally include them in another game and then only put in one of them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Decus posted:

I don't see them removing the Hyper Training flags any more than they've removed characteristics or the contest stats.

They might not include a means to set the flags in Gen 8 though, that would be extremely GameFreak. The flags would remain, but there would be no Hyper Training for future mons.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Phrosphor posted:

That is clearly Kickpuncher or Punchkicker, not robocop!

NOPE

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer posted:

I'm trying to fill up my dex (almost 90%) and I leveled some Pokémon with happiness using the Soothe Bell... and then I traded them. Without taking off the bell. :negative:

Why does the game not warn you that your Pokémon is holding an item, this is the worst...

So.. The good news is that they sell Soothe Bells in the Battle Dome. The bad news is that they sell Soothe Bells in the Battle Dome.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
why does everyone want a castform. did they do something to castform

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm beginning to wonder if there's any limit to what I can get with these beast ball Castforms. If I can get a Porygon-Z with one, that means people will even give trade evolutions, in which case I could probably clear the whole Alolan dex just by breeding them.

Unrelated; so is it confirmed there's no way to get more than one of each kurt ball? It seems awfully cruel to finally include them in another game and then only put in one of them.

No.

No there is not.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Erata posted:

So.. The good news is that they sell Soothe Bells in the Battle Dome. The bad news is that they sell Soothe Bells in the Battle Dome.

Yeah, there's no way I'm getting 48 BP for a Soothe Bell. This is just the worst. I even had the Soothe Bell in the favorite slot in my bag :smith:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

absolutely anything posted:

They are a super rare pain in the rear end to get.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

It's just kinda rare. It's not even the rarest, there's other weather SOS, and Castform's in ALL of the weather SOS pools.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yeah, I've been getting into the breeding side of things, and I've been doing everything by the books--I did the BP grinding necessary for the EV items and Destiny Knot (after breeding a fleet of Pickup Meowths), I caught all of the stuff necessary for optimal Ditto chaining, I chained dittos multiple times for the guaranteed 4 IVs. Boxes and boxes of Beldums later, having reached the point of a 5 IV (only missing SpA) but wrong EV Beldum, I'm ready to say 'gently caress it' and just trade for a perfect Ditto to make things go more smoothly. I can keep going out this independently and I'll get there eventually, but the plateau at this point is just tedious, and it's going to take long enough even without playing the IV roulette every time.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

It's a massive pain to catch, as are a variety of other mons this gen.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
oh really? mine was literally the first thing the first snow vulpix i ever found called in so i grabbed it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Supremezero posted:

It's just kinda rare. It's not even the rarest, there's other weather SOS, and Castform's in ALL of the weather SOS pools.

P sure Castform is the rarest in the sense that its the only way to get it. Its spawn rate seems to be way lower than other weather exclusive Pokemon at least. I ran into like, 30 goomy before a Castform showed up.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
:siren: Meloetta is now active for the U.S. :siren:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Axel Serenity posted:

:siren: Meloetta is now active for the U.S. :siren:

What does this mean?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Phrosphor posted:

What does this mean?

Meloetta finally awakens from hibernation

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Phrosphor posted:

What does this mean?

She's December's Mythical Pokemon giveaway and the last of the promotion.

Go to Mystery Gift -> Receive Gift from the Internet to get her in either game. Or both.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Axel Serenity posted:

She's December's Mythical Pokemon giveaway and the last of the promotion.

Go to Mystery Gift -> Receive Gift from the Internet to get her in either game. Or both.

In XYORAS, right?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Internet Kraken posted:

P sure Castform is the rarest in the sense that its the only way to get it. Its spawn rate seems to be way lower than other weather exclusive Pokemon at least. I ran into like, 30 goomy before a Castform showed up.

Last I checked, there's no other way to get the Vanillite, Goomy, or Gible lines, either, but I can trade a Castform for any of those no problem.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

AlphaKretin posted:

In XYORAS, right?

Yup! As far as I know, none of the Mythicals are available in SuMo. However, Magearna becomes available in SuMo starting on the 5th.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/notcurlybrace/status/804076202218704901

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm hoping PGL eventually updates with minigames that include the apricorn balls as prizes, and the ones we have now are teasers for that. Otherwise, yeah, this is just evil. I already wasted my Moon Ball on a Cleffa, not knowing it was my only one (I already have a Moon Ball Clefairy in the bank).

Also, time to SR for a Meloetta I guess.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Note Block I am online now.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Anyone have an extra, totally-legit 6IV japanese ditto they could trade me?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I wish the GTS let me request a specific ability. I do not need any more Stall Sableyes, I need a Prankster Sableye! Please and thank you, for gently caress's sake!

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Enjoy your Ditters, Arrgytehpirate & kirtar!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
With the current GTS situation, this is probably the most anyone has given a poo poo about Castform in years.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I'm hopping aboard the Beast Ball bandwagon too with a Leavanny and Luxio to start. It's oddly fun to breed more Pokémon in rare balls. (Possibly one of the funnest mechanics changes they've made, IMO.) Hope we can get more of those darned apricorn balls in the future.

I normally stay well away from cheating, but a perfect Ditto to make legit, good quality Pokémon with is very tempting.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Holy poo poo :laffo:

Man on one hand I want to level up a Lycanroc-M for competitive use. On the other hand it's coverage is such poo poo I can't see it doing anything but playing like a worse Aerodactyl.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

extra row of teeth posted:

Holy poo poo :laffo:

Man on one hand I want to level up a Lycanroc-M for competitive use. On the other hand it's coverage is such poo poo I can't see it doing anything but playing like a worse Aerodactyl.

Ehh yeah, but he's got a sleek design and he's a good dogger so I highly recommend him. It's fun having a rock-type priority move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Note Block posted:

Enjoy your Ditters, Arrgytehpirate & kirtar!

Thanks so much!