Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Please come back, Unreal Tournament 2004.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

new phone who dis posted:

Please come back, Unreal Tournament 2004.

too good for this world

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I found an image of prototype SNES controllers where A and B are in the "correct" position (as in, A is the button designed for jumping, B the one in the best spot for shooting), they must have changed it later on for visual design reasons:

They should have really stuck with the top right layout, except introduce the new 4 color scheme.

UO: when I first saw a US SNES i couldn't really believe that it was an actual SNES. It looked so ugly, like some kind of local unlicensed version of the console.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 7, 2019

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Shibawanko posted:

I found an image of prototype SNES controllers where A and B are in the "correct" position (as in, A is the button designed for jumping, B the one in the best spot for shooting), they must have changed it later on for visual design reasons:

Pretty sure those are Photoshopped, unless that’s also the world’s most consistent hand model.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Dewgy posted:

Pretty sure those are Photoshopped, unless that’s also the world’s most consistent hand model.

drat yeah you're right, here's another picture that shows the same design though:

Also funny how the L and R buttons seem really flat, the whole thing looks more NESsy.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

what;s hosed is that after

microsoft did this

they scrambled the colors and moved B to the right of A, totally loving up everyone's ability to react to onscreen button prompts across platforms, especially if you're emulating old games on a microsoft gamepad. If ocarina of time prompts you to press blue, you need to press green, and if it tells you to press green you have to press blue. If a SNES game prompts you to Press Y you have to press X, for B you need to press A and A means you have to press B. It's maddening.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

poverty goat posted:

microsoft did this

they scrambled the colors and moved B to the right of A, totally loving up everyone's ability to react to onscreen button prompts across platforms, especially if you're emulating old games on a microsoft gamepad. If ocarina of time prompts you to press blue, you need to press green, and if it tells you to press green you have to press blue. If a SNES game prompts you to Press Y you have to press X, for B you need to press A and A means you have to press B. It's maddening.

I guess that between the SNES and the N64 they realized their mistake and fixed it, sorta, the A and B buttons are probably the only good thing about the N64 controller. Gamecube just went all wonky though and I never liked that layout, even when I eventually got used to it.

The Microsoft layout just sucks, it's like when they mess up the numbering on movie series.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It still to this day pisses me off that Microsoft copied Nintendo’s buttons and colors and then scrambled them up. Total troll move.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The N64 and GameCube controllers are both hilariously awful, outdone only by the Wii, and mark Nintendo's descent into mediocre hardware propped up by gimmicks and artificial scarcity.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the n64 gamepad was perfect if you were one of the three-handed mutants that were popular in japan at the time

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

At least Nintendo actually found a good gimmick after 20 years.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

At least Nintendo actually found a good gimmick after 20 years.

Shame about the d-pad on the Switch :shrug:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

pooch516 posted:

Shame about the d-pad on the Switch :shrug:

I like how they were the patent owners and when the patent expired and other people could use it they immediately switched to garbage. Then they fixed it, but only on the new sku.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The Duke is the most comfortable controller for my hands, I like that the buttons on the right are diagonal, and it has my favorite-feeling triggers. That said, the B/W buttons are a bad idea (especially the S Controller's) and it's one of the worst d-pads out there.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Rutibex posted:

gaining levels is the worst mechanic ever invented. Gary Gygax has a lot of bullshit to answer for

https://kotaku.com/dungeons-deceptions-the-first-d-d-players-push-back-1837516834

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm always weirded out at US SNES controllers with the purple-gray buttons rather than the colourful four-button ones. Even Microsoft realised that colour coding the primary buttons was a really good idea.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Xbox ABXY controller layout is objectively the best layout, because it both ergonomically and alphabetically makes sense, as at a glance it follows an A-B, X-Y layout instead of B-A, Y-X.

See, it's about proximity to the palm of the hand. The idea is that there's a "default button" that your thumb naturally rests on when holding the controller correctly that generally operates as your confirmation button or most used action button, and it needs to be the easiest to reach button which is naturally the button closest in proximity to the base of your thumb. In theory, your thumb will be resting on the bottom button of a grip controller like any of the Xbox/PS controllers. If it's a flat controller it'll be naturally resting on the right-hand side (NES/SNES) since your palm usually holds the controller by the far right (and far left) rim of the controller. Your default button is pressed with the most ease, and is obviously the easiest of the four to click the poo poo out of.

In both layouts, there are essentially two layers: the A-B layer and above that the X-Y layer. Since your thumb naturally rests on the A button in any controller design, the A-B layer is accessed by simply rotating your thumb, and the X-Y layer is accessed by extending your thumb and rotating. Therefore, A and B are usually diametrically opposed in action, or are exclusive of one another, but together are supposed to be the most used buttons, simply because you don't need to extend your thumb to use them, which cuts down on strain.

Ergonomically, however, people's hands are bigger/smaller than the controller is designed for, so most people end up straining their hand by constantly flexing their thumb.

The Gamecube controller is interesting, though. Instead of two distinct layers A-B, X-Y you have an ABX layer and a Y button. The idea is that with your thumb naturally resting on the A button you can access the X button and the B button simply by rotating your thumb, and extending it only for the Y button. That's nice, actually, that means that A B and X are all able to be used more naturally instead of just A and B. And, with how games treated the B button, the B-A, Y-X layout makes sense since the B button is usually opposed to the A button.

Since then, Nintendo has gone off the fuckin' deep end with controllers. But their pro controllers take the style of the Xbox/PS controllers, while retaining the layout originally designed for the flat NES/SNES (and maybe GC) controllers. So now when I play Nintendo games, my brain is confused when it says "press A" because if I'm using a grip controller like the Switch Pro, my finger is naturally resting on the B button, which would have been the A button on the Xbox.

In other words, Nintendo needs to switch A/B and X/Y.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
nintendo is fine because you're supposed to read it top to bottom, not right to left

xbox is wrong because while it reads right to left, it expects you to read it bottom to top

but the point is moot because it should be cxza

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, tell them I hate it. If I'm supposed to read it top to bottom, right to left, then write them in kanji.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

the genesis had it right when they just numbered the buttons iirc

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't get people who love the Gamecube controller. I owned a Cube and played on it a lot but the controller has always kinda sucked for me. That d-pad is horrible, the C buttons were a bad idea on the N64 but even worse when they turned it into a wonky stick. I think in Wind Waker I always ended up pressing the wrong buttons and doing poo poo in the menu that I didn't want to do.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

the genesis had it right when they just numbered the buttons iirc

They had a b c though?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Barudak posted:

They had a b c though?

gently caress did I just misremember it then? Am I thinking of something else?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

QuarkJets posted:

gently caress did I just misremember it then? Am I thinking of something else?

turbo grafx used I and II, and the master system used 1 and 2. but the genesis was abc, because there's only so much you can conveniently do with two buttons.

say what you like about the layout but four face buttons (abxy), two shoulder buttons (lr), and two system buttons (sel start) is the optimal number imo. if your game needs more than that, and any sensible combination you can input with those buttons, you need to rethink your control scheme

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 8, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Remember when PC games used to come with reference overlays to tell you which keys on the keyboard did what?

Honestly feel like those should come back, at least as printouts. Maybe there's some people somewhere who make them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

shoulder buttons were the worst decision ever made in game hardware design, or any design of any kind really

i'm lying shoulder buttons were revolutionary

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

poverty goat posted:

If ocarina of time prompts you to press blue, you need to press green, and if it tells you to press green you have to press blue.
This gives me painful memories of playing Prince of Persia (2008) with mouse and keyboard. QTEs and counters still gave you only color prompts and I was loving them up till the end of the game, couldn't remember which one was the left mouse button, Left Shift, E or Space

veni veni veni posted:

It still to this day pisses me off that Microsoft copied Nintendo’s buttons and colors and then scrambled them up. Total troll move.
Sorta makes sense if you consider than Sony copied Nintendo's layout changing the letters to shapes, but then switched them up for the Western market for cultural reasons (the meanings of circle and cross). So Microsoft copied Nintendo's buttons and Sony's reasoning, making it easier to transition from the PS1

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't have a problem with MS being unoriginal. I have a problem with their being unoriginal causing me confusion for the rest of my life when I switch around between controllers. All they had to do was not use the same letters and colors, which Sony had the decency to do.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The White Dragon posted:

turbo grafx used I and II, and the master system used 1 and 2. but the genesis was abc, because there's only so much you can conveniently do with two buttons.

say what you like about the layout but four face buttons (abxy), two shoulder buttons (lr), and two system buttons (sel start) is the optimal number imo. if your game needs more than that, and any sensible combination you can input with those buttons, you need to rethink your control scheme

hard disagree, you forgot triggers/l2 and r2

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I don't have a problem with MS being unoriginal. I have a problem with their being unoriginal causing me confusion for the rest of my life when I switch around between controllers. All they had to do was not use the same letters and colors, which Sony had the decency to do.

and you can be sure microsoft did this at you to segment the market

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

I am like 1/7th way through and I really hate to read anything from Kotak. Is there a point besides "well you see now that he is dead its safe to say ~I~ was the one who really invented D&D?"

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I am like 1/7th way through and I really hate to read anything from Kotak. Is there a point besides "well you see now that he is dead its safe to say ~I~ was the one who really invented D&D?"

Not really, no. It goes for the big "everything you know about the origin of D&D is wrong!" clickbait headline, but it's just the Arneson side of the argument. Anyone who cares would already know that, and if you don't really care about D&D then you probably won't give a poo poo who exactly invented it anyway.

People who do care about D&D and idolise Gygax as its creator are as dumb as Marvel fans believing Stan Lee invented all the characters.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

poverty goat posted:

microsoft did this

I'm pretty sure the reason Microsoft did this is that Nintendo has a patent on the color positions and the lettering positions on their buttons.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yes. but once again, why use the same letters and colors as Nintendo and then jostle them around? They should have used numbers or something. Or poo poo, just different letters than ABXY.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm a normal sane human being so I just refer to the four buttons in the vicinity of the right thumb as downmost uppermost leftmost and rightmost regardless of colours or letters.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

this "Dave" guy is full of crap. the true inventor of D&D was George Leopold von Reisswitz

quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriegsspiel#Precursors
Reisswitz Sr.'s prototype (1812)

Reisswitz first experimented with a table covered in a layer of damp sand. He sculpted the sand into a three-dimensional model battlefield, with hills and valleys. He used little wooden blocks to represent troop formations. The Prussian princes heard about Reisswitz's project and asked for a demonstration. He showed it to them in 1811, and they enthusiastically recommended the game to their father, King Wilhelm III.

Reisswitz did not want to present the king a table of damp sand, so he set about constructing a more impressive apparatus. In 1812, Reisswitz presented to the king a wooden table-cabinet. The cabinet's drawers stored all the materials to play the game. The cabinet came with a folding board which, when unfolded and placed on top of the cabinet, provided a gaming surface about six feet by six feet in size. Instead of sculpted sand, the battlefield was made out of porcelain tiles, upon which terrain features were depicted in painted bas-relief. The tiles were modular and could be arranged on the table surface to create a custom battlefield (the scale was 1:2373[1]). Troop formations were represented by little porcelain blocks. The blocks could be moved across the battlefield in a free-form manner; dividers and rulers were used to regulate movement.

The royal family was delighted by Reisswitz's game, and frequently played it. However, it was not adopted by army instructors nor sold commercially. The apparatus that Reisswitz made for the king was too expensive for mass-production.[2] But more importantly, his system was not complete and required some improvisation on the part of the players. For instance, the rules for resolving the effects of gunfire and hand-to-hand combat were not fully worked out.[3] Reisswitz may have been too distracted by the upheavals of the Napoleonic Wars to perfect his game. By 1816, Reisswitz seemed to have lost interest in wargaming altogether. The development of the wargame was continued by his son, Georg Heinrich Rudolf Johann von Reisswitz.[4]

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 8, 2019

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm a normal sane human being so I just refer to the four buttons in the vicinity of the right thumb as downmost uppermost leftmost and rightmost regardless of colours or letters.

"uh yeah just hit downmost, leftmost, uppermost, uppermost, select, start"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Excelzior posted:

"uh yeah just hit downmost, leftmost, uppermost, uppermost, select, start"

Exactly!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

The second part of your post contradicts the first part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

food court bailiff posted:

hard disagree, you forgot triggers/l2 and r2

i actually only believe in one shoulder button per side