Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

PBCrunch posted:

I think if you're going to have one grinder it should be cordless.

I have a pretty decent Milwaukee 18V 115mm grinder (with a 5Ah battery), and while I love it for the convenience for certain uses there are just a lot of things the cordless one simply can't do. Flapdisc is no problem, thin-ish cutoff wheels and not super-thick things to cut are fine (which is most of what I do with it), but any actual grinding is a real struggle. Have tried a chonkier Makita one, and had a bit more power but still significantly less destructive power than even a rather cheap corded grinder. And even that one I think ran on 8500rpm instead of the usual corded 11000rpm, which is sometimes pretty noticeable. So I'd say just the opposite, if you're going to have just one grinder get a $60-ish corded 125mm. Unless your use-case is just doing really small things and/or you are often outside of reach of a power cord, then yeah get a battery powered one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

ionn posted:

I have a pretty decent Milwaukee 18V 115mm grinder (with a 5Ah battery), and while I love it for the convenience for certain uses there are just a lot of things the cordless one simply can't do. Flapdisc is no problem, thin-ish cutoff wheels and not super-thick things to cut are fine (which is most of what I do with it), but any actual grinding is a real struggle. Have tried a chonkier Makita one, and had a bit more power but still significantly less destructive power than even a rather cheap corded grinder. And even that one I think ran on 8500rpm instead of the usual corded 11000rpm, which is sometimes pretty noticeable. So I'd say just the opposite, if you're going to have just one grinder get a $60-ish corded 125mm. Unless your use-case is just doing really small things and/or you are often outside of reach of a power cord, then yeah get a battery powered one.

Especially for the grinders, you'll want to go with the HD batteries, the 12Ah being my go to. The smaller batteries make it a pretty grueling task to cut through things. The time to use a cordless is definitely very limited though. But from my experience when you need a cordless angle grinder, you NEED it.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

My die grinder didn't come with a guard, but I want to stick 3" abrasive wheels on it. Do you just kinda stay out of the line of fire, or...?

Right now I'm using Lenox MetalMax diamond cutoffs instead of the abrasive wheels. They're nice when new, but I'm not sure how well they will last. I like the idea of non-explosive cutoff wheels.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ryanrs posted:

I like the idea of non-explosive cutoff wheels.

It’s nice when they’re not made of asbestos, too.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

ryanrs posted:

My die grinder didn't come with a guard, but I want to stick 3" abrasive wheels on it. Do you just kinda stay out of the line of fire, or...?

staying out of the line of fire is a good habit but not always possible. Better is to make a habit of always using good PPE without exceptions. I've been too lax about this myself historically, but faceshields exist and are great and will likely prevent an exploded small disc like that from hurting you at all if combined with sensible clothing and gloves. I like the faceshield/earpro combo but to each his own. I've also started to wear a dust mask when grinding more than a single bolt or the like since the black boogers are gross and easily preventable.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Lincoln OmniShield fits well and is very comfortable. Good adjustments, well balanced. If you've been put off by lovely cheap face shields, try this one.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I usually use an auto dark welding mask (impact rated) thats turned off or set to the "grind" setting.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ryanrs posted:

Lincoln OmniShield fits well and is very comfortable. Good adjustments, well balanced. If you've been put off by lovely cheap face shields, try this one.

If you don't want a full mask, I really like these for just the eyes: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QKKX9VF

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone have a personal recommendation for a metric safety wire jig?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
What are people's thoughts on paddle switch vs thumb switch on grinders? I've only used thumb switches, and it's nice not having to worry about holding a paddle down while working at an awkward angle or for long duration, but I also like the idea of a grinder that stops running if I drop it

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

TerminalSaint posted:

What are people's thoughts on paddle switch vs thumb switch on grinders? I've only used thumb switches, and it's nice not having to worry about holding a paddle down while working at an awkward angle or for long duration, but I also like the idea of a grinder that stops running if I drop it

Honestly you should probably have a couple of each. At least, three paddle grinders one with cutting disc, grinding disc and flap disc for short jobs. Then the same thing with thumb switches for jobs where you'll be grinding or cutting for a while

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
From a safety standpoint I like the idea that a paddle switch will shut itself off if I drop the grinder.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

My angle grinder has a paddle switch, and my die grinder has a locking thumb switch. Each seems to suit its tool and I don't think I'd change either. Braking would be nice, and variable speed for things like wire brushes.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
My old random corded grinder I found at home has a thumb switch that is hard as hell to turn on or off, so I only dare to use that with flap discs and wire wheels. The massive bonus of the thumb switch is that I can grip the grinder in a better way. For cutting I use the Ryobi as it's safer and there is 0 point in grinding with it as even the bigger batteries run out in like 10-15 minutes. I should clean the corded grinder and free up the switch...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Kind of a tool but I saw a $90 set of a jack lift and two jack stands and I was extremely tempted to buy it right then and there

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

That reminds me, I have 4 jack stands in 94040 that need a good home. Shipping will not be cost-effective.

Nothing wrong with them, they're like new. I just wanted taller ones.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

TerminalSaint posted:

I naturally hold grinders where the paddle switch is so I prefer those. It seems weird and unsafe to me to have to actively reach up and turn off a piece of equipment. Things should turn off when I let go of them. 2 of my other grinders are trigger switches though.

My recommendation is to go to the store and grab a bunch of grinders and see what feels good and natural in your hands. For example, I recently used a friend's Milwaukee grinder with a different style of paddle switch and I hated it. Too big, it made my fingers ache. The reason the big tool companies make so many types of grinders is the diversity of people's usages and preferences.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i like the thumb switch so i can use a variety of grips, and even shift while im working, but it has to be the kind where slapping at the switch turns it off. my skil corded grinder is like this and it's good

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I have a corded (if that matters) dewalt die grinder with a paddle switch that has a little thing that you can push in, once the paddle is down, to keep it in place. And also work has a dewalt Angle grinder with the same set up. A paddle switch and a little button to lock it down. I don't use it that much but IIRCyou squeeze the paddle a bit and the lock button pops out then you let go and it stops.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
The only grinder I have :monocle: is a Makita brushless with the paddle switch. It's how I've always held a grinder, so I've never considered a thumb switch style. Mostly I'm using a quick cutoff wheel anyway, so it's fine. We've got a thunbswitch style one at work, but I usually prefer to bring mine in if I know I'll be cutting/grinding.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

Uncle Enzo posted:

I naturally hold grinders where the paddle switch is so I prefer those. It seems weird and unsafe to me to have to actively reach up and turn off a piece of equipment. Things should turn off when I let go of them. 2 of my other grinders are trigger switches though.

My recommendation is to go to the store and grab a bunch of grinders and see what feels good and natural in your hands. For example, I recently used a friend's Milwaukee grinder with a different style of paddle switch and I hated it. Too big, it made my fingers ache. The reason the big tool companies make so many types of grinders is the diversity of people's usages and preferences.

Couldn't agree more with the store thing. People need to take tool recommendations and reviews with a grain of salt when it comes to operating it. If you have smaller or bigger hands than said person you may have a drastically different experience.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I built a creeper that should be able to handle some punishment.

The creeper is going to get a coating of truck bed liner and the inset part will be covered in EVA foam for "comfort". I tried it out this morning. The creeper is very heavy, but that works out because it doesn't tip if I get off of it awkwardly. I am considering an additional pair of wheels for the center.

Not really tools, but products of tools:
I also made a cupholder for my work from home desk. Holes for cold drink, hot drink, and a cup for my disgusting sunflower seed shells.

And a little riser/shelf thing I made to hold up our enormous air fryer/toaster oven machine in the kitchen.

The latter two items are made from 12mm Baltic Birch plywood. I have some emails checking around on price for this material back in October. I elected not to buy any because at $60/sheet (25 sf) it was too expensive. The last time before that I paid about $37 for a 25 sf sheet. I checked on the price last week. The 12mm thickness was not available, but 15mm BB was $190 for a 32 sf sheet. I should have invested in October. gently caress. I wonder if BB pricing is so wild more because of fuel or because of proximity of all things Baltic to Russia and Ukraine.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

PBCrunch posted:

The creeper is going to get a coating of truck bed liner and the inset part will be covered in EVA foam for "comfort". I tried it out this morning. The creeper is very heavy, but that works out because it doesn't tip if I get off of it awkwardly. I am considering an additional pair of wheels for the center.

Suggestion: Replace the hex head fasteners with dome headed carriage bolts. I forsee someone damaging themselves or getting caught on the hex edges.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Someone took the joke too far, and now they're real.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

ryanrs posted:

The gently caress? That hurts my head but I don't deal with plastic/wood/composites much.

"Length is measured from the top of the head." Drawing shows length measured to bottom of head. For shame, McMaster.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's... interesting

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ryanrs posted:

I guess I've just internalized how weird composite decking is. You can go into Home Depot and get similar screws that are reverse and/or fine threaded at the top to keep your deck boards looking pretty.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I had to see this thing in action so I looked up a video. Not an identical screw, but reverse pitched at the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0T4JOWvkYE&t=141s

Basically the reverse thread punches a hole in the composite decking and the head holds it in. The regular thread engages the substrate.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone have a recommendation for a brake bleeding tool? I've used the empty soda bottle with a little fluid put in the bottom and a hose into it before but I'm trying to get in the habit of replacing my fluid every year or two since it's hygroscopic and I don't live with anyone else so if I can get a decent tool for like :20bux: :20bux: or something that might be worth getting rid of the hassle.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

LobsterboyX posted:

Well I hadn't visited this thread in about 200 posts, but I came in to ask about welding stuff. I got a lot of info about the ancillary stuff, but not too much re the actual welder.

I have it in my mind that I want to buy the HF

https://www.harborfreight.com/welding/welders/mig-170-professional-welder-with-120240v-input-64805.html

but then theres..

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-mig-welder-180-amp-with-spool-gun.html

goals:

I'm not new to welding, I've just never had my own. I did quite a bit many years ago when I worked in SFX and set building. That was over 10 years ago, I want this welder to start filling holes in my old cars, so light sheet metal work on 60+ year old cars with very thick metal. I mostly used the squirt gun, but I did have some time doing TIG and even gas welding for very short time.

something about welding kinda brings out the opinions, so I know my results may vary and just starting the process will lead to a result, either good or bad.

I also have it in my head that one day I want to Z the frame of a model a, - All with less than 1/4" of thickness.

I want to weld up little fixtures for poo poo around the house for instance, a bracket to hold a vintage sign, or multiple brackets to hold up one of my drop tanks.

I want to attempt to replace the floor pans on cars

I'd probably get an airgas bottle and call it a day.

I realize this is a ways back. But I will say that I have a tig 200 digital from eastwood and I really like that machine. It probably doesn't have the duty cycle of much more expensive machines I have not had any complaints about it. I think their mig machines are well regarded as well.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a brake bleeding tool?

Speed bleeders work great. They were all I needed for the Sienna torque vectoring brakes project.

The one thing I'd mention is that it took A LOT of pumping the brake pedal before fluid started squirting out of the bleeders. But that project involved adding two master cylinders + 30 ft of brake line. I just kept pumping the pedal and refilling the reservoir and it all worked out, eventually.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

um excuse me posted:

I had to see this thing in action so I looked up a video. Not an identical screw, but reverse pitched at the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0T4JOWvkYE&t=141s

Basically the reverse thread punches a hole in the composite decking and the head holds it in. The regular thread engages the substrate.

The reverse thread also helps pull the decking closer to the frame since it will be kicked slightly away by the screw tip starting into the frame.

A higher helix angle reverse thread acts more like a reamer and cleans splinters from around the hole, a lower one will do more pushing instead of reaming. Material type is closely related too I'm sure. I'm no screw designer, but I've probably used 50lb of those wooden decking screws and 15lb of the composite ones on my house so far and that's how they seem to act.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

ryanrs posted:

Speed bleeders work great. They were all I needed for the Sienna torque vectoring brakes project.

The one thing I'd mention is that it took A LOT of pumping the brake pedal before fluid started squirting out of the bleeders. But that project involved adding two master cylinders + 30 ft of brake line. I just kept pumping the pedal and refilling the reservoir and it all worked out, eventually.

I had been wondering about an external tool because I have three cars to keep up on, but it looks like it's the front or rear set for $17, not one bleeder for $17 like I thought, so that's not terrible.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I like speed bleeders a lot and have had really good luck with them, but they can be somewhat fragile if you're prone to hamfisting with respect to torque. I've also seen that you can get the Motive bleeder bottles that have an inline check valve, so that might be kinda nice if you don't want to buy speed bleeders for something you're working on.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

At least on my van, the fronts and rears were different parts, so beware.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

kastein posted:

I'm no screw designer

N ew thread title.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

What about the goon who plates fasteners? He's gotta have at least a superficial understanding of screw design.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I had been wondering about an external tool because I have three cars to keep up on, but it looks like it's the front or rear set for $17, not one bleeder for $17 like I thought, so that's not terrible.

Maybe try one of these: https://www.motiveproducts.com/collections/import-power-bleeder-kits

I haven’t bought one, but if I was going to, this would probably be it.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

quote:

Power Bleeder

My cardiologist calls it 'anticoagulant therapy' but this sounds much cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

nitsuga posted:

Maybe try one of these: https://www.motiveproducts.com/collections/import-power-bleeder-kits

I haven’t bought one, but if I was going to, this would probably be it.

Was about to recommend this myself, had one for my VWs. Pro tip, get a ball valve with the right size fittings and put it in the middle of the hose from reservoir to cap. That way you don’t have to re-pump the air in the bottle every time you take the reservoir cap off to top off the fluid.