Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Less megathreads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Deeters posted:

Would it make sense to make an Insurance thread? It seems like the topic comes up quite often, and I have questions since I'm gonna turn 25 soon and want to try to find a better deal.

Having all of that information in a dedicated thread could be helpful. I like the idea. If there isn't enough material to keep it going it will just die off, and then people can ask the questions they have in the questions thread.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I do believe my Sturgis itinerary is locked in. I'm going with 4 BMWs so it's more of a nerdtinerary.

August 1: Seattle-Missoula; are we there yet
August 2: Missoula-Sheridan; 75mph so the Buells don't burn all the oil, also: steak
August 3: Sheridan-Sturgis; out early, good camping spot at the chip
August 4: Sturgis day ride; Devil's Tower? Rushmore? Badlands? Deadwood? LYNYRD SKYNYRD LOL WHAT A TRAINWRECK
August 5: Sturgis-Cody; if we get in early there's a cool gun museum to look at, also: steak, my gout should be all flared up by then
August 6: Cody-West Yellowstone; this is where we spend an entire day for a grand total of like 200 miles just putting around Yellowstone and Grand Teton, or as the french trappers liked to call it, "big titty"!
August 7: West Yellowstone-Kamiah; bonus Lolo Pass, been on my list for years, I cannot wait, look for deer
August 8: Kamiah-Seattle; schlep against wind and Subarus on I-90

It's the 75th anniversary so it should make for some good times. I also hope the Buffalo Chip hasn't been continuing to Disney up the place. I saw way too many kids last time. Who brings their retarded flyover offspring to Sturgis?!

I am really excited for Lolo pass. Has anyone here run that road? I love Kamiah and Nez Perce country, so that should be about the perfect last day on the road.

e: crap, almost forgot... UP old Spiral Highway. I haven't gone up (as I last-minute re-word this last sentence).

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 25, 2015

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

clutchpuck posted:

August 8: Kamiah-Seattle; schlep against wind and Subarus Volvos on I-90

Fixed.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Insurance chat: 690 is less than $40/mo with high limits, full coverage.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

clutchpuck posted:

I do believe my Sturgis itinerary is locked in. I'm going with 4 BMWs so it's more of a nerdtinerary.

August 1: Seattle-Missoula; are we there yet
August 2: Missoula-Sheridan; 75mph so the Buells don't burn all the oil, also: steak
August 3: Sheridan-Sturgis; out early, good camping spot at the chip
August 4: Sturgis day ride; Devil's Tower? Rushmore? Badlands? Deadwood? LYNYRD SKYNYRD LOL WHAT A TRAINWRECK
August 5: Sturgis-Cody; if we get in early there's a cool gun museum to look at, also: steak, my gout should be all flared up by then
August 6: Cody-West Yellowstone; this is where we spend an entire day for a grand total of like 200 miles just putting around Yellowstone and Grand Teton, or as the french trappers liked to call it, "big titty"!
August 7: West Yellowstone-Kamiah; bonus Lolo Pass, been on my list for years, I cannot wait, look for deer
August 8: Kamiah-Seattle; schlep against wind and Subarus on I-90

It's the 75th anniversary so it should make for some good times. I also hope the Buffalo Chip hasn't been continuing to Disney up the place. I saw way too many kids last time. Who brings their retarded flyover offspring to Sturgis?!

I am really excited for Lolo pass. Has anyone here run that road? I love Kamiah and Nez Perce country, so that should be about the perfect last day on the road.

e: crap, almost forgot... UP old Spiral Highway. I haven't gone up (as I last-minute re-word this last sentence).

I lived in Missoula, now about 25 miles south of there in Stevensville. Highway 12 over Lolo Pass isn't too bad a few miles either side of the pass itself, however HWY 12 from that point down to the Junction with US 93 is a no bullshit killer. The pavement gets patchy and uneven from Lolo Hot Springs down to about the old Piney Woods truck stop about 3 or 4 miles West of the junction. Between the two points are some serious bad curves, add to that the occasional moose, semi or cager and it could turn into a bad day is you get too happy with your throttle. Had a kid on a sportbike last summer trying to do a speed run down the highway spread a good portion of himself along about 400 feet of guardrail just east of the hot springs. If you just enjoy the ride it is a beautiful stretch of scenic highway with a great steakhouse just before the junction with US 93.

(e) Check out Hulett, Wyoming while you're in Sturgis for a taste of what Sturgis used to be, before the Town Council tamed it down.

Outside Dawg fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 25, 2015

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Insurance chat: 690 is less than $40/mo with high limits, full coverage.

Have you sold your 690 yet? I was looking over on advrider and folks there are selling them for 1-2k more at least so you might want to give that a try.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

comprehensive 6750 USD per year.
:stare: What company was this with?

Out of curiosity I called my insurance company and asked about the 1290.. They don't insure it at all. :saddowns:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Outside Dawg posted:

I lived in Missoula, now about 25 miles south of there in Stevensville. Highway 12 over Lolo Pass isn't too bad a few miles either side of the pass itself, however HWY 12 from that point down to the Junction with US 93 is a no bullshit killer. The pavement gets patchy and uneven from Lolo Hot Springs down to about the old Piney Woods truck stop about 3 or 4 miles West of the junction. Between the two points are some serious bad curves, add to that the occasional moose, semi or cager and it could turn into a bad day is you get too happy with your throttle. Had a kid on a sportbike last summer trying to do a speed run down the highway spread a good portion of himself along about 400 feet of guardrail just east of the hot springs. If you just enjoy the ride it is a beautiful stretch of scenic highway with a great steakhouse just before the junction with US 93.

(e) Check out Hulett, Wyoming while you're in Sturgis for a taste of what Sturgis used to be, before the Town Council tamed it down.

Yeah a friend of mine wrecked his Ducati on that road by splitting a deer. I almost whacked one last September riding out of Kamiah. So head will definitely be on a swivel. Road surface is less of a concern since we are all on nerdventure bikes.

I checked out Hulett back in 08. Pretty easy detour from Devil's Tower. I also heard the Buffalo Chip is going to become their own municipality for this year's rally, so that should be.... interesting. We'll see who has been pushing for kids I think.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

nsaP posted:

Less megathreads

Agh nooooo

Unrelated: I was looking at videos of 2nd-gen Tuonos, and caught myself thinking, "drat, that is a pretty bike."

What the hell is wrong with me? I've joined the SLA. :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
When I have money for a bike to ride on the street it will be a Tuono v4 :v:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

Agh nooooo

Unrelated: I was looking at videos of 2nd-gen Tuonos, and caught myself thinking, "drat, that is a pretty bike."

What the hell is wrong with me? I've joined the SLA. :(

The yellow ones look really good!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

builds character posted:

Have you sold your 690 yet? I was looking over on advrider and folks there are selling them for 1-2k more at least so you might want to give that a try.

I haven't, I recently signed up for ADVrider but can't post in the for sale section yet. I'm firm on my price, not trying to squeeze money out of it, I'd rather get rid of it quicker really :(

e: guess I got validated, just posted it up!

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 25, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I listed my old busted Uly on Advrider only and it sold in a week before I could even get it on Craigslist. Good luck!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is there any way to filter/search for bikes available within your state, a certain radius, etc. on ADVrider or is it just set up with the assumption that everyone is willing to do a fly and ride?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You can do a forum search. But mostly no. I'd like it if more people would put the location in the thread title to make zipping through the pages easier.

Unrelated: I bought this book
http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Touring-Southwest-Regions-Rides/dp/0762747439/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

and the their PNW book because...

that's unmistakably a Barricade Orange Ulysses there in the corner of the cover.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
asked a question in the chat thread

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
US 212 Beartooth Pass, you ain't got a hair on your rear end until you do this ride.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubZH6f7ly20

(e): Found a better video.

Outside Dawg fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 26, 2015

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

:stare: What company was this with?

Trygg-Hansa. Svedea and Bilsport were around the same amount.

Collateral Damage posted:

Out of curiosity I called my insurance company and asked about the 1290.. They don't insure it at all. :saddowns:

Fuckin liars. Since 3rd party is mandated by law, all insurance companies MUST offer it. The way they get around this is by giving you a quote that is completely bonkers (like I got quoted at 9000 USD/year for my SV for 3rd party once.)

Z3n posted:

I feel like you must just pay through the nose because you live in sweden, cause I'm a few years younger than you and married, and my rates are a fraction. Do you have some sort of monopoly situation like canada or something?

I wish, we used to have a heavily regulated market, where most services where excellent and cheap, until the mid-90s where we went full DE-REGULATE EVERYTHING and things went to poo poo.

Some bikes seems to be cheaper to insure here than in the states actually, but big power bikes (R1, Gixxers, SD, Busas etc) are all insanely expensive to insure.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Fuckin liars. Since 3rd party is mandated by law, all insurance companies MUST offer it. The way they get around this is by giving you a quote that is completely bonkers (like I got quoted at 9000 USD/year for my SV for 3rd party once.)
This was Svedea by the way. Odd that they gave you a quote but told me they don't insure it. Granted I asked about full coverage, they probably insure it for 3rd party only. According to the guy I talked to the 1290 is counted as a superbike in their view and they don't insure those.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Outside Dawg posted:

US 212 Beartooth Pass, you ain't got a hair on your rear end until you do this ride.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubZH6f7ly20

(e): Found a better video.

I'm doing Dead Indian this August.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I support an insurance mega thread because insurancechat suuuuuuuuuuucks

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
How is Allstate? I'm having them quote everything for me and they seem a little expensive, but I might be willing to accept it if they have painless claims service and they'll work with my mortgage companies for supplying proof of insurance every year...

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

clutchpuck posted:

I'm doing Dead Indian this August.

That ought to be a good ride if the State of Wyoming has kept up on road maintenance.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
AllState is pretty awesome if you don't mind paying what they ask. They've never given me any poo poo about any of my claims, and they don't drag their feet. On the other hand, the cost feels punitive, and I've got to find somebody else. My car and two bikes come to 3400/year for full coverage and $500 deductible, and I am a total, irredeemable rear end for not immediately jumping ship.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I support an insurance mega thread because insurancechat suuuuuuuuuuucks
I agree, and I am sorry for contributing to it :(

VVV No, I'm just their bitch :( VVV

Frosty- fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 26, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
For $3,400/yr they'd better be giving you a handsy, too.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Outside Dawg posted:

That ought to be a good ride if the State of Wyoming has kept up on road maintenance.

I hope so. I'll ask around and see how it is, we could always do Beartooth...

Last time I was going to do it, there was a winter weather advisory at the passes. In August.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Radbot posted:

For $3,400/yr they'd better be giving you a handsy, too.

Does a reacharound count?

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

clutchpuck posted:

I hope so. I'll ask around and see how it is, we could always do Beartooth...

Last time I was going to do it, there was a winter weather advisory at the passes. In August.

Snow levels here are about 50% of normal (not to say that couldn't change, mountains and all) we had a pretty mild winter this year overall. Tentative open date is Memorial Day (we'll see).

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
InsuranceChat: There's a thread in AI: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3427127 Might be more auto specialized but there are some agents in there.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I work next to Paine Field and it's that time of year now. Time of year to play "motorcycle or Flying Heritage?"

Today's first was motorcycle, but judging by the weather we might hear a P-47 or something rumble by later.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

I think Honda is getting cool, guys.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/honda-bulldog-concept/#more-83978

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's like a little person with a roided out upper torso and big feet.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Holy poo poo that thing looks so.... rugged. I'm growing stubble just looking at those pictures.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I think it looks way rad, but the 15in wheels seem problematic for tire selection.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I was looking at the application for title I got when I transferred the new bike to me. There's a $20 "TBD fee" I paid.

That better be an actual project or program abbreviated as TBD and not just "thanks for the free money, sucker!". Also, the bike's old plate expired in May but they made me buy a mandatory replacement plate and then jipped me 2 months by giving me a March sticker. What the poo poo.

I feel especially nickel-and-dimed today.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Did they charge you the full regestration price? When I registered my car last year and transferred my custom plates, they prorated me so that my registration date wouldnt change.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

clutchpuck posted:

I was looking at the application for title I got when I transferred the new bike to me. There's a $20 "TBD fee" I paid.

That better be an actual project or program abbreviated as TBD and not just "thanks for the free money, sucker!". Also, the bike's old plate expired in May but they made me buy a mandatory replacement plate and then jipped me 2 months by giving me a March sticker. What the poo poo.

I feel especially nickel-and-dimed today.

At least in NY you have to renew motorcycles every April regardless of when your registration is from. So if you registered March 1 you get charged full price and a 2015 sticker that has to be replaced in 30 days the same way you would have if you'd registered April 1, 2014.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I like this. It seems like a throwback to the days when you could buy a featureless, dirt simple bike that was equally at home on the road or off-road and was generally intended to suffer a massive beating without complaint. Like a hilux on two wheels.

Small wheels are lame though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nitrogen posted:

Did they charge you the full regestration price? When I registered my car last year and transferred my custom plates, they prorated me so that my registration date wouldnt change.

Yes, full annual registration. No prorate.

I did find out TBD means Transportation Benefit District.

Friend of mine bought a new R1200GS this week and rode one home. Not his, his doesn't start. Technicians have been going over it all day and have no idea. When they switched it on, the accessories went apeshit - headlight rave, etc. They thought battery was dead so they put a new one on. Then nothing. Bike is dark.

I guess it isn't unheard of for computers to arrive DOA, and that bike is mostly computer after all.

Maybe I like having only $300 worth of barely-computer running my bike.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 28, 2015