Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Residency Evil posted:

These are fantastic suggestions. I brought these up to my wife who doesn't like either of them because of "the look of it." :v:

Obviously I'll have her drive them and maybe her opinion will change about driving a BOF SUV on the highway. I think it boils down to her living in Denver at one point and wanting to relive those days.

How about the A4/V60? They're more car-like at least, although I'm not sure how they'd compare reliability wise to something like a 4Runner.

Just to be clear you're asking about the reliability of a Japanese built BOF Toyota truck with the old 4.0l V6? Because I'm pretty sure those are literally the most reliable and well built vehicles on the face of the earth, except for the Land Cruiser which is just the same vehicle with an HD frame and a 8k lb tow rating.

But yeah maybe Audis are pretty reliable too these days IDK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Residency Evil posted:

How about the A4/V60? They're more car-like at least, although I'm not sure how they'd compare reliability wise to something like a 4Runner.
Poorly.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Odds on Mrs Evil ending up in a Range Rover of some ilk? High.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Throatwarbler posted:

Just to be clear you're asking about the reliability of a Japanese built BOF Toyota truck with the old 4.0l V6? Because I'm pretty sure those are literally the most reliable and well built vehicles on the face of the earth, except for the Land Cruiser which is just the same vehicle with an HD frame and a 8k lb tow rating.

But yeah maybe Audis are pretty reliable too these days IDK

nm posted:

Poorly.

Heh, yeah, I deserved that. I think we'll probably try to set up some 4Runner test drives to see how much she hates it on the highway. I wasn't aware that 4Runners were similar to Land Cruisers. I'd love for us to buy a Land Cruiser, but that seems like an even dumber choice for a highway car, although I love the idea of buying a car for 10-20 years.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Odds on Mrs Evil ending up in a Range Rover of some ilk? High.

1. She prefers Dr. Mrs. Evil.
2. Conveniently, we live less than a 10 minute walk from a Jaguar/Land Rover dealer! :v:
3. I think right now, she's less in to a Range Rover than the idea of cosplaying the years she spent living in Denver. She'd love to move back.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 8, 2020

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Residency Evil posted:

Heh, yeah, I deserved that. I think we'll probably try to set up some 4Runner test drives to see how much she hates it on the highway. I wasn't aware that 4Runners were similar to Land Cruisers. I'd love for us to buy a Land Cruiser, but that seems like an even dumber choice for a highway car, although I love the idea of buying a car for 10-20 years.

1. She prefers Dr. Mrs. Evil.
2. Conveniently, we live less than a 10 minute walk from a Jaguar/Land Rover dealer! :v:
3. I think right now, she's less in to a Range Rover than the idea of cosplaying the years she spent living in Denver. She'd love to move back.

In the backseat of her rover something something she stole from her roommate back in BoulderDenver

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

What's wrong with 4Runners on the highway? I have one and drive on the highway all the time and it's perfectly fine. The city ride isn't the most luxurious because it's old school BOF construction but I keep it on 31" tires with 16" wheels so that helps the stiffer suspension smooth out bumps.

Tbf tho I bought it to use as a tow vehicle and an off road recovery vehicle and only use it as my daily for lack of space for a fourth car. It's definitely a great truck but I don't think I'd drive it every day if I had space for another vehicle. I also prefer small cars tho

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah i mean you're coming right out and saying as a current 4runner daily driver you wouldn't do it if you didn't have to, let alone the highway mileage that Dr. Evil is doing

How about the Lexus GX460? It's basically a LC Prado with some cushy poo poo. They're very good. Now it suffers from both terminal predatorface and altezza tail light disease, but if she can tolerate that it's a good choice. Top trips come in a bit above your $50k price point, though.

If you are looking for relatively high reliability I will throw in Acura MDX (also available as SH-AWD hybrid). I am also a eurobrand car guy in terms of the driving experience, but if reliability and drive-it-til-it-diesability at a reasonable cost is what you want stay FAR away from the euros.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

yeah I mean I guess I am arguing against it as a daily haha. If you want something that can be dailied but you want it primarily for it's ruggedness and utility in BOF and engine power (like, for off-roading and towing), then it's fine. But if it's a pure tarmac vehicle I don't really see the point.

I agree if you want Toyota quality BOF SUV but more comfy, check out the LX and GX series. They're basically the luxury versions of the Land Cruiser and share a lot of parts with the 4Runner. I drove a GX470 while I was shopping for my 4Runner and it was very nice, same frame and engine (and thus towing capacity), and the only reason I didn't buy it is because it was quite a bit more than the 4Runner I had my eye on

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Also keep in mind that the current gen 4Runner is 11 years old. They added some minor things like adaptive cruise, 8" screen, and keyless entry/start for 2020+, but it still shows its age. Little things like the layout of storage (or lack thereof) for the passengers, the way the seats fold, non-LED headlights, no automatic doors or mirrors, etc. may add up to annoyances for someone used to modern luxury makes.

We love our 4Runner and have no regrets. But we ended up with it in large part because it's the only truly off-road capable vehicle that is both (1) reliable and (2) not a pickup (that you can buy new, anyway). Except of course its more expensive siblings, the GX460 and Land Cruiser.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I agree if you want Toyota quality BOF SUV but more comfy, check out the LX and GX series. They're basically the luxury versions of the Land Cruiser and share a lot of parts with the 4Runner. I drove a GX470 while I was shopping for my 4Runner and it was very nice, same frame and engine (and thus towing capacity), and the only reason I didn't buy it is because it was quite a bit more than the 4Runner I had my eye on

I'm pretty sure the GX 460 and 470 both have V8s (versus the V6 in the 4Runner). No less reliable, from what I understand.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

incogneato posted:

I'm pretty sure the GX 460 and 470 both have V8s (versus the V6 in the 4Runner). No less reliable, from what I understand.

The 2UZ V8 came in the 4th gen 4Runner as well (which is what I have), and swaps into the 5th gen pretty effortlessly, not sure why they don't offer it as an option anymore. But yeah the 1GR V6 is the legendary truck engine that everyone is after when they buy Toyota trucks.

e: modern* toyota trucks

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 8, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

incogneato posted:

Also keep in mind that the current gen 4Runner is 11 years old. They added some minor things like adaptive cruise, 8" screen, and keyless entry/start for 2020+, but it still shows its age. Little things like the layout of storage (or lack thereof) for the passengers, the way the seats fold, non-LED headlights, no automatic doors or mirrors, etc. may add up to annoyances for someone used to modern luxury makes.

We love our 4Runner and have no regrets. But we ended up with it in large part because it's the only truly off-road capable vehicle that is both (1) reliable and (2) not a pickup (that you can buy new, anyway). Except of course its more expensive siblings, the GX460 and Land Cruiser.

Yeah, I'm not sure my wife realizes this beyond always wanting a 4Runner. I'm not super pumped about a 2009-era car, but they keep making them and people keep buying them. It looks like the Limited would be the trim level for us to look out for I guess?

I think we'll plan on test driving the 4Runner, Allroad, and V60 this weekend. For whatever reason she doesn't like the look of the Lexus SUVs. :shrug:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 9, 2020

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Residency Evil posted:

It looks like the Limited would be the trim level for us to look out for I guess?

The Limited probably has more of the features you're used to (auto climate control, auto on/off headlights, etc.). It's the only trim with full-time AWD (all other trims are part time 4WD). However it's also the only trim with different body styling, most notably in the front fascia, larger wheels, and lower body shape--so if she's wanting that aggressive truck styling the current 4Runner is known for, the Limited might not do it for her.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

I think we'll plan on test driving the 4Runner, Allroad, and V60 this weekend. For whatever reason she doesn't like the look of the Lexus SUVs. :shrug:

this is fair they are deeply ugly. i was going to suggest gx460 with prado front clip but the prado isn't very nice looking either

i mean at some point your wife likes the car so you should just buy what she likes. if she ends up not being able to deal with it for the commute you can always sell it. 4runners hold value fairly well.

Robot Jones
Nov 12, 2016

Whatever Happened to... Robot Jones?

Robot Jones posted:

Hello! I'm moving from the city out to a pretty rural area within the next few weeks, so I need to buy my first car.

Proposed Budget: <$10k, but this is flexible. I might be selling the car in ~3 years, although a used car is a pretty terrible place to park money if I don't want it to devalue.
New or Used: Used
Body Style: I'm not picky, but a sedan or small SUV/crossover would be fine
How will you be using the car?: My commute will be ~15 minutes, once work starts up again. This is mostly for commuting and errands in coastal New England, but a couple times a year I'll probably drive to the mountains for skiing or hiking. I also have large musical instruments that don't fit comfortably into the trunk of most sedans that I have to transport, so the more cargo space the better. A couple times a month I'll be driving 1-2 hours on the highway as well.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability and the cost of maintenance.

Is a Mitsubishi Mirage a bad car for me? I drove two different Mirages as a teenager, and I don’t remember anything unpleasant about them.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't buy or trust any Mitsubishi. Their reputation is quite bad.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Robot Jones posted:

Is a Mitsubishi Mirage a bad car for me? I drove two different Mirages as a teenager, and I don’t remember anything unpleasant about them.

The 90s Mirages you remember were boring but mostly OK.

The 2012-and-later Mirage shares nothing with those cars but the name, and it is a bad car for any human being who wants a car. The only thing that's possibly attractive about it is the price - but if you can only afford a new Mirage, you should be shopping for a used car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Robot Jones posted:

B U Y A T O Y O T A P R I U S

I'm going to seriously answer your question, but you need to just loving buy a Prius.

In the 1990s Mitsubishi made some decent cars. The 5th gen Lancer / Mirage were reasonably cheap and cheerful compact segment competitors to the Corolla, Civic, etc. Less expensive, decent to drive, somewhat lower quality, and with extremely generous financing available. So if you're talking about 5th gen Mirages, sure, they're good cars if you can find one that isn't rusted as long as you like dying in minor collisions.

The 6th gen Mirage was introduced in 2013 in the US. It's the worst car you can buy new. It was designed to be the cheapest car currently for sale in America, in some sort of horrid misguided race to the bottom with the Nissan Versa, which unsurprisingly is also poo poo. Do not buy a 6th gen Mirage. If someone offers you one for free, do not accept it.

Mitsubishi's current role in the universe is to sell lovely crossovers to people who MUST have a new car but can't get a Hyundai or Kia dealer to finance their ten grand negative equity roll on a 510 credit score.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

The only Mitsubishi worth buying is an Evo, or possibly as a compromise, a Ralliart. Recently I test drove a 7th gen lancer when looking for a car for my brother after reading about it's good reliability, and it was the heaviest most gutless compact I've ever driven. It felt like a lovely econobox from the 90s and accelerated and handled like one too. I don't know what they did to gut it from the Evo to that travesty but it was really bad. And it didnt even have the good engine, the 4G63.

Anyway I'd say check the fitment of the cargo you want to haul in a prius first, and if you have difficulty fitting it in a small hatch like that, then check out a Rav4 or CR-V.

Robot Jones
Nov 12, 2016

Whatever Happened to... Robot Jones?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

B U Y A T O Y O T A P R I U S

I'm going to seriously answer your question, but you need to just loving buy a Prius.

In the 1990s Mitsubishi made some decent cars. The 5th gen Lancer / Mirage were reasonably cheap and cheerful compact segment competitors to the Corolla, Civic, etc. Less expensive, decent to drive, somewhat lower quality, and with extremely generous financing available. So if you're talking about 5th gen Mirages, sure, they're good cars if you can find one that isn't rusted as long as you like dying in minor collisions.

The 6th gen Mirage was introduced in 2013 in the US. It's the worst car you can buy new. It was designed to be the cheapest car currently for sale in America, in some sort of horrid misguided race to the bottom with the Nissan Versa, which unsurprisingly is also poo poo. Do not buy a 6th gen Mirage. If someone offers you one for free, do not accept it.

Mitsubishi's current role in the universe is to sell lovely crossovers to people who MUST have a new car but can't get a Hyundai or Kia dealer to finance their ten grand negative equity roll on a 510 credit score.

That explains why a 2017 mirage with <50k is cheaper than a 2012 Prius with >90k. I was never driving anything newer than a 2010.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

id rather daily drive a two stroke dirtbike than a mirage

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

id rather daily drive a two stroke dirtbike than a mirage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aCsNs3eYTE

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Watch it from an 18:00 minute mark, which is the most important part.

That, and other cars like it, are not sold because there are great cars. People buy them because they are cheap, can be financed, and are less if a gamble than a Buy Here Pay Here garbage. It's a reasonable basic driving appliance for poor people.

Edit: and if you are not in the category of people for whom this car make sense, congratulations. But families living on 35k a year don't really have a choice.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 11, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My favorite part is "This score means I would rather daily drive a Mirage than an 05 Maserati Quattroporte. Which is true."

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Nitrox posted:

Watch it from an 18:00 minute mark, which is the most important part.

That, and other cars like it, are not sold because there are great cars. People buy them because they are cheap, can be financed, and are less if a gamble than a Buy Here Pay Here garbage. It's a reasonable basic driving appliance for poor people.

Edit: and if you are not in the category of people for whom this car make sense, congratulations. But families living on 35k a year don't really have a choice.

I drove a Mirage in Bahrain, and it was an awful experience. I think the 11 second 0-60 speed is understating the lack of power quite a bit. The only positive thing I could say about it was that the fuel economy was pretty good, but gas in the middle east isn't exactly expensive.

I think it's a false economy, but you're 100% right about being able up get new-car financing and a warranty. If you've got middling credit, a used car is double digits interest rates and no warranty; the Mirage is single digit interest and a warranty, assuming the dealer exists in 12 months.

KillHour posted:

My favorite part is "This score means I would rather daily drive a Mirage than an 05 Maserati Quattroporte. Which is true."

I can see that. The Maserati is terrible and costs a poo poo load to repair. At least the Mirage is just terrible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

HMA will still finance anyone with a pulse so just go in there and pick up an Accent for roughly the same amount of money. $16,2 MSRP including D&D. A thousand bucks more than the Mirage and hell just put a 84 month note on it. I think it's more likely that the Accent lasts 84 months than the Mirage lasts 72.

sharkytm posted:

I can see that. The Maserati is terrible and costs a poo poo load to repair. At least the Mirage is just terrible.

Quattroportes are good to drive provided you don't have the cambiocorsa. They are always broken but they sound incredible. The Mirage has no redeeming characteristics.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Tell me I’m stupid for considering this because it seems like an easy thing to say “no” to.

My 2008 Saturn vue has 125k miles on it. It’s due for an inspection and the airbag light is on. I’ve troubleshot to no end and it could cost from a few hundred to $1k to fix.

I’m thinking about buying a used truck. Budget would be $12k paying cash. I want it to last so I’m thinking a Tacoma or a tundra. I want Toyota for the reliability. My wife has a RAV4 and we love it, but I’d rather go for a truck to throw my bike in the back or general hauling things around (no towing).

However, anything under $12k has, for the most part, over 100k miles.

I shouldn’t spend $12k on a used truck with over 100k miles, right? I’ve heard Toyota trucks last forever, but that’s a lot of cash to throw at one with so many miles in my opinion.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
In PA, airbag light is not a safety inspection fail, as I've recently learned. and many times it's just a sensor, they go between $40-150 for most GM vehicles.

No matter what you end up doing, try not to sell or trade in a vehicle with an active airbag light.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nitrox posted:

In PA, airbag light is not a safety inspection fail, as I've recently learned. and many times it's just a sensor, they go between $40-150 for most GM vehicles.

No matter what you end up doing, try not to sell or trade in a vehicle with an active airbag light.

TPMS lights don't count for safety inspection in PA either.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Nitrox posted:

Yeah it fails them here in Va.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nwin posted:

I shouldn’t spend $12k on a used truck with over 100k miles, right? I’ve heard Toyota trucks last forever, but that’s a lot of cash to throw at one with so many miles in my opinion.

For literally anything that isn't an exotic, 100k miles is not a significant number anymore. Especially if the PO has kept up on maintenance / repairs as needed. Might be due for a timing belt, not sure whether those Toyotas use one or not.

Also, a quick search on my local Autotrader confirmed my suspicion. Trucks, of any make and age, with less than 100k on the odometer and priced at $12k or below, are nearly nonexistent.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Toyota trucks do not represent good value.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Toyota trucks do not represent good value.

How do you mean? They have a high resale value. I just don’t like the thought of paying so much for one with a ton of miles.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nwin posted:

How do you mean? They have a high resale value.

That's great when you're selling it. But.....

nwin posted:

I just don’t like the thought of paying so much for one with a ton of miles.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Motronic posted:

That's great when you're selling it. But.....

Nah good point. Trying to think of any other smaller trucks that would still be as reliable, maybe without a high resale value.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
If you want a truck, buy one, but I can’t see an economic reason to get rid of a vehicle with 125K on the odo and buy one with 100K just because of an airbag light. You could buy a fancy scanner that will troubleshoot airbags AND the parts to fix it for under a grand most likely.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

JnnyThndrs posted:

If you want a truck, buy one, but I can’t see an economic reason to get rid of a vehicle with 125K on the odo and buy one with 100K just because of an airbag light. You could buy a fancy scanner that will troubleshoot airbags AND the parts to fix it for under a grand most likely.

Yeah valid point. I hate my Vue and have been wanting something new for a while. It’s slow and doesn’t do anything I need it to do.

At the same point, if that’s going to cost 10k+ to just get something with 25k less miles than I currently have...maybe it’s not worth it.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

nwin posted:

Yeah valid point. I hate my Vue and have been wanting something new for a while. It’s slow and doesn’t do anything I need it to do.

At the same point, if that’s going to cost 10k+ to just get something with 25k less miles than I currently have...maybe it’s not worth it.

It’s ok to want a better car. This being a BFC thread though, the advice is usually geared toward making good money choices. That said, if you are content with spending $12k, have you considered fixing your car, keeping it, and buying a 100k mike truck? Plenty of people in this thread own cars that aren’t the most economical choice but that’s fine if you can afford it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, if you have space for two cars and the extra insurance / maintenance won't be too obnoxious, buying a much cheaper truck with more miles is an option. Things like fuel economy aren't such a big deal if you don't need it to be a jack of all trades, you can just go find the nicest example of a $5k truck.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's OK to buy a new car because you want a new car if you can afford it. Just make sure you can afford it and you're willing to make a sub-optimal financial decision to get rid of the old car.

When you say bike, do you mean moto/dirt or do you mean bicycle? Also, how much hauling do you realistically plan to do? Small trucks are relatively expensive, relatively inefficient, and relatively poo poo compared to cars. You pay significantly to get the capabilities they offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's OK to buy a new car because you want a new car if you can afford it. Just make sure you can afford it and you're willing to make a sub-optimal financial decision to get rid of the old car.

When you say bike, do you mean moto/dirt or do you mean bicycle? Also, how much hauling do you realistically plan to do? Small trucks are relatively expensive, relatively inefficient, and relatively poo poo compared to cars. You pay significantly to get the capabilities they offer.

Its usually one or two bicycles and maybe a bike trailer for pulling my kid around.

Not a ton of hauling, but enough where I’d rather have a bed to put stuff in then mess up the back of an SUV.

Plus it doesn’t make financial sense, but I like driving a smaller truck comparatively.