Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
This is like my 4th time trying out UVHM and I think it will be my last. I have no idea whether I'm just missing some weird way of playing it(Yes, I am slagging everything in sight), or it really is a long slog that requires a full minute to kill a signal enemy. I've put like 150 hours into the first game and I never once remember being frustrated by trying to complete a single quest.

Keep in mind, I'm coming from a level 50 Maya that has full legendaries and The Bee shield. I gave it until almost level 54 before I decided to call it quits this time. A lot of people say to wait a bit more, but this is just too frustrating to go through. I really like this series for the sole purpose of being incredibly fun. Picking up giant guns and blowing bad dudes up while not really being worried about having a specific build or item to complete basic quests is the main reason I loved the first game. UVHM feel like they added a bunch of artificial difficulty for a small minority of players that are obsessed with min/maxing stats and builds.

I think I'm going to try just hitting level 50 and not bothering going into UVHM. For those of you that have gone this route, how did it turn out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Don't play UVHM solo. It only becomes even slightly tolerable if you're doing it with other people. If you're stuck going it solo, then just skip it altogether.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm playing UVHM solo for the second time, previously with Axton and now with Gaige. The ability to summon a second shooter seems to help a lot.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The hardest part of UVHM is the beginning, for some reason. More gear and more skill points help you out a lot later on.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
From my experiences, UVHM only becomes tolerable when you have your capstone skills and can survive 4 or more FFYLs in a row. Even then, normal enemies can survive a full volley of rockets to the face, even with slag.

I've taken an Axton, Salvadore, and Krieg through it and I only felt comfortable when Krieg hit level 71 (when i properly learned to use RtB). Eventually you get to a point where you rely on your action skill over your gear for the boosts that give you survivability and make things fun.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I've never had trouble with UVHM, tho I do use the save editor to keep my guns leveled.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Genocyber posted:

use the save editor to keep my guns leveled.
This should be a feature somewhere in the game you have to give up like 2(5 - or more if they wanna be hardcore about it) other guns of the same rarity or something and you can make a gun upgrade to your current level.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

AkumaHokoru posted:

This should be a feature somewhere in the game you have to give up like 2(5 - or more if they wanna be hardcore about it) other guns of the same rarity or something and you can make a gun upgrade to your current level.

BL:TPS has "the grinder" which isn't quite this but is close.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah TPS' Grinder seems like a really cool concept. I remember talking about how Eridium (back when it ran out of uses more quickly than it does now) might be used at a vending machine/store/NPC to "super charge" weapons in your inventory. This isn't quite the same thing, but the ability to repurpose "junk" guns for something more than cash flow is always nice.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

wdarkk posted:

BL:TPS has "the grinder" which isn't quite this but is close.

yeah that one is a chance to swap a gun for a better one but not a improved version of the same gun

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

It remains to be seen how far you can upgrade guns, though. I wonder if you can go 3 purple -> 1 orange.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Since TPS is gonna have more linear scaling, akin to BL1, guns becoming weaker shouldn't even be an issue, hopefully. In BL1 a good gun could easily last a few dozen levels, IIRC.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd like it if they just scaled guns to your level, regardless of what level the enemies are set at for each zone. That way you could play through a DLC without twenty quests becoming pointless when you return to the main game.

Is it possible to play through all the DLC and Sidequests in BL2 without getting overleveled? Because it just seems like that would make TVHM too easy by the end while also absolutely screwing you over for UVHM. Playing a level 60 or something from all the quest EXP while still using level 50 guns when you start UVHM.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is it possible to play through all the DLC and Sidequests in BL2 without getting overleveled? Because it just seems like that would make TVHM too easy by the end while also absolutely screwing you over for UVHM. Playing a level 60 or something from all the quest EXP while still using level 50 guns when you start UVHM.

DLC, no, sidequests yes. There's a ramp up in main quest level near the end and if you do all the sidequests (none of the DLC), you finish the game at about 36-38, if you don't do ANY of them you'll finish ad I think like 33, which is not that big of a gap.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

wdarkk posted:

It remains to be seen how far you can upgrade guns, though. I wonder if you can go 3 purple -> 1 orange.

I doubt it. That would be awesome though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CJacobs posted:

DLC, no, sidequests yes. There's a ramp up in main quest level near the end and if you do all the sidequests (none of the DLC), you finish the game at about 36-38, if you don't do ANY of them you'll finish ad I think like 33, which is not that big of a gap.

This is why I liked the Borderlands 1 deal better. Each DLC upped your cap by five levels, so that you could play the DLC and level up without screwing over your second playthrough.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is why I liked the Borderlands 1 deal better. Each DLC upped your cap by five levels, so that you could play the DLC and level up without screwing over your second playthrough.

No it didn't. Zombie island and moxxi had no cap increase, General Knoxx upped it by 11 to 61, and claptrap upped it by 8 to 69.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Decided to run through a reset UVHM on OP 2 on my mainly brawn specced Gunzerker who primarily use Bandit gear.

was among the easiest playthroughs I've done

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AirRaid posted:

No it didn't. Zombie island and moxxi had no cap increase, General Knoxx upped it by 11 to 61, and claptrap upped it by 8 to 69.

Oops, sorry, I was thinking of New Vegas for a second. My bad, you're right.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oops, sorry, I was thinking of New Vegas for a second. My bad, you're right.

Yeah the other thing about BL1's cap increases was that the game would store any extra xp you got after you hit the cap so when the cap increase came out you were instantly catapulted to the new cap if you'd played enough. That was annoying. Install claptrap robolution at level 61, start the game, boom level 69 have some skill points. :smith:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The Robution DLC didn't up the level cap. The Knoxx DLC raised it by 11 and then a patch raised it by 8 at a later point.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Oh woops. Yeah that patch came out around the same time as robolution didn't it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Added to the Not Fun pile: Badass Buzzards in TVHM. You can kill me in three hits? One with your missiles? There's two of you and some normal buzzards?I can't do anything in FFYL because you fly away? Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa *inhales* aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Added to the Not Fun pile: Flying things in borderlands
THEY ALL DO THIS poo poo. GRAH!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Normal Rakks of various types are not that bad, but god drat, Badass Rakks will straight up scalp you with one dive-bomb in the upper echelons of the level system. The Fridge is full of a bajillion rats of various types that are hard to hit, move very fast, and are equipped with elemental weapons, and what do I get taken out by on UVHM? A single chubby Rakk that then flies into the geometry so that I can't shoot at it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

AkumaHokoru posted:

THEY ALL DO THIS poo poo. GRAH!

Flying enemies in Borderlands games are some of the worst enemies ever.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

watho posted:

Flying enemies in Borderlands FPS games are some of the worst enemies ever.

Fixed that for you.

Only exceptions really are incredibly slow flying enemies like Cacodemons in Doom.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't mind Rakks so much as loving STALKERS and Rabid Skags. Stalkers especially, with their tiny as gently caress hitboxes and constant knockback attacks. And they're super fast, and loving invisible unless you're Zer0.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Theoretically the ability to jump very high will help with flying enemies in TPS by giving you a better perspective to shoot them from. Of course it's going to be really hard to do with a controller, but that's not my problem.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
The only times I run into problems with Buzzards or other flying vermin (TVHM or not; think I'm gonna skip UVHM outright) is when 1) they spawn in at close range and/or 2) I'm occupied with a bunch of ground targets swarming - The Fridge and Bandit Circle of Slaughter, mainly. And that Buzzard tournament in The Forge, but that's more the specific tasks/time limit.

The Dust or anywhere I have a vehicle? BRRRRRRRRRT hold down both fire buttons at max distance, move crosshairs as needed. Maybe drive around a little to dodge if they get in close and lose my firing arc. (Also works with Infinities.)

Anywhere I have range to spot them inbound? Snipey-snipey. They don' fly as good iff'n the pilot is headless, son. (Not as good on Rakks, but they have to close for combat so you can hose away with SMGs/high-RoF machine pistols/high-damage revolvers/autoshotguns - the Heartbreaker is wonderful for air defense.)

If I'm running Axton or Gaige? Excuse me, I'm gonna have a smoke over here while my lil' mechanical buddy whomps on the sky pirates.

Sawtooth Cauldron is amusing as hell if you snipe the Buzzards as they spawn up at the Roost. I usually have time to reload before the next wave starts. (The "raise the flag" missions.)

As well, most places with airborne enemies, you have some cover available - back to the wall in case of Rakks, or something overhead for everything.

What sucks are the goddamn gasbags in Hammerlock - they cover the range of elementals so your favourite high-RoF bullet hose might be mostly ineffective, the vehicles suck to fight from (and also have the matching-elemental issue), and they spawn seeking elemental blobs... all the while you're dodging about and discovering new and respawning natives/striders/etc. :argh: Seriously, I enjoyed the dragons more than those things.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah Buzzards are deeply satisfying enemies for two reasons. One: Successfully sniping the pilot or one of the assholes on the sides never gets old, and two: Buzzards always go down in some spectacular fashion, accompanied by a huge explosion and a ton of debris. A lot of enemies simply flop over or fall down when they die, but not Buzzards. Buzzards always put on a show.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I keep forgetting how much I hate surveyors.

It's a lot.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

watho posted:

I keep forgetting how much I hate exploders.

It's a lot.
i think this is what you meant.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

AkumaHokoru posted:

i think this is what you meant.

You're not wrong. I also hate HOT loaders, Heavy Nomads and Goliath Blasters.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Oh man, really? Because I love surveyors. I think more surveyors have busted me out of FFYL mode than any other enemy. They're just so fragile and eager to hang out around you in FFYL mode.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

watho posted:

You're not wrong. I also hate HOT loaders, Heavy Nomads and Goliath Blasters.

HOT loaders always take me by surprise because I can never remember that they explode when you kill them. No matter how many times this happens I will happily run right up to one and shoot it point black until it explodes in my face.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh man, really? Because I love surveyors. I think more surveyors have busted me out of FFYL mode than any other enemy. They're just so fragile and eager to hang out around you in FFYL mode.

Whenever I go into FFYL they're either no-where to be found or they activate that stupid bullet reflection shield. They also tend to get stuck on geometry and this goddamn gate won't open until I kill him. :argh:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Surveyors always just felt like...a Resident Evil 2 puzzle. You know, when the solution is to just walk two rooms over and get the key? Filler. Easy to beat, just a waste of time. Same with Stalkers.

I actually like EXPloaders along with the normal Loaders. It's fun as hell to shoot their limbs off. EXPloaders are a total bitch when you're defending that beacon, though, but that whole bit was annoying. Who decided to make a Tower Defense section in an FPS?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I forgot RPG Loaders. Hate those as well.

Edit: and Marauders who get an absurd turbo boost towards cover as soon as you hit FFYL.

Edit 2: Y'know. I just really hate Digistruct Peak.

watho fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

WickedHate posted:

Surveyors always just felt like...a Resident Evil 2 puzzle. You know, when the solution is to just walk two rooms over and get the key? Filler. Easy to beat, just a waste of time. Same with Stalkers.

Surveyors actually do fill the support roles they're supposed to in general combat. Some will repair bots and some will provide shields. The thing is they're so quick to kill that you rarely see them doing that stuff. But if they were any more resilient they'd be annoying as gently caress. I like them how they are.

Also SI play Maya a lot so it becomes a lot easier when you can just phaselock them to make them stay still. :v: I'm going to miss phaselock in TPS :sigh:

• Locked thread