Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Silent Linguist posted:

Oof. I made some tasty, no-added-sugar muffins for the baby. He ate maybe three bites and threw the rest on the floor contemptuously. I know it’s dumb to take it personally, but I worked hard on those!! :argh:

Bad news friend, it only gets worse :sigh:

Don’t worry tho they will probably appreciate you when they have kids of their own :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I was so excited to give my small one strawberries for the first time the other day, but he absolutely hated them. Just scrunched up his face and spit it out.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Silent Linguist posted:

Oof. I made some tasty, no-added-sugar muffins for the baby. He ate maybe three bites and threw the rest on the floor contemptuously. I know it’s dumb to take it personally, but I worked hard on those!! :argh:

We make this banana oat muffin recipe and the kid goes bananas :dadjoke: for them. Just watch out for the oat bran poops, they can be a blowout if you aren't quick.

There have definitely been meals that I worked quite hard on only for him to be mad and not eat a bite, and it hurts. I'm sure there will be more so I can't let it get to me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife was showering with the kids and they were trying to rinse some sort of earwig-looking bug down the drain. At one point our 6-year-old said "look guys, the bug's suffering!"

Didn't know I was raising a psychopath...

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

We did basic whole wheat flour pancakes with yogurt and bananas and eggs in em and it seemed like a good way for my 8 mo old to get her munch on. Could make quite a few and just sit em out for her. French toast the next day also went over well. No syrup, butter or sugar of course.

Then my wife spent an hour boiling beets and marinating chicken, which instantly got the tongue out ‘no thanks’ :

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Shifty Pony posted:

Moo Baa La,La,La! is pretty great but Doggies is awful for the exact reason you mentioned. It just sucks to read. If you want a fun counting book then Stack The Cats is pretty great, it even sneaks a bit of multiplication/division in (Amazon or if you want to splurge you can get it personalized from the author's Etsy)

We're lucky because our neighbor is literally a two-time Newberry Honor winner and has hooked us up with some excellent children's books.

Seconding Stack the Cats. That's been one of our kid's favourite books since he was five months old. The pictures are big, bright and engaging, and there's lots of room to add your own inflection to make it extra fun. And yeah, the arithmetic is pretty deep for a kids' counting book. You can get into factorisation and squares too.

Edit to avoid double-post:

remigious posted:

I was so excited to give my small one strawberries for the first time the other day, but he absolutely hated them. Just scrunched up his face and spit it out.

Yeah strawberries are kind of a weird experience when you think about it. They're pretty tart, and the flavour is quite particular.

Our kid also scrunched up his face (I have photos!) but ate the strawberries anyway.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 8, 2021

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
What brand of melatonin does everyone recommend? We bought some of the zarbees and our daughter took one lick and spit it out. I tried it and agree with her they are not very good.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

calandryll posted:

What brand of melatonin does everyone recommend? We bought some of the zarbees and our daughter took one lick and spit it out. I tried it and agree with her they are not very good.

Natrol dissolvables are top tier in my house. Did you use the zarbees gummies or the tablets? The tablets are dimetapp grape but the gummies were some mutant honey flavor. Nyquil makes gummies under their zzzquil line that are .5mg. Those are the smallest OTC I've seen without using liquids.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Someone s couple months ago pointed out that melatonin is a regulated substance in the EU, which surprised me, as it's considered a very safe suppliment in the US. I never followed up on wether the EU thing was true though

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Hadlock posted:

Someone s couple months ago pointed out that melatonin is a regulated substance in the EU, which surprised me, as it's considered a very safe suppliment in the US. I never followed up on wether the EU thing was true though

It sure is in parts of Europe!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5263069/

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

calandryll posted:

Our son loves the poo poo out of them. He asks for them every night. I don’t know what that grainy stuff is on them, always see it on whatever gummies and I don’t get it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Most of Europe, Japan, Australia, South Africa, probably a lot more places. It's really more the exception than the norm for it to be considered a prescription drug rather than a "supplement".

Also yikes on that part about it causing delayed development of gonads.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Honestly pretty impressed by the amount of poop that just came out of my baby.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BadSamaritan posted:

My toddler has poop that’s bigger than mine! It’s insane now that it’s not jammed against a diaper.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

As an adult I have never clogged a toilet but 2 of my 3 kids have under the age of 5, it’s crazy. Even non diaper dropoffs!

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

It makes sense when you learn that babies don’t digest food as well as adults. Like when we were baffled by some mysterious alien seed pod-looking things in there, but finally realized they were chunks of banana.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

BadSamaritan posted:

#2 has a sensory thing with pooping and goes through cycles of Miralax-lessened constipation and Miralax-induced brain-making GBS threads. I've seen his turds on X-rays before they get laxatived out - the boy is pooping out an extremely hard bolus the size of my literal adult fist.

I do not blame him for jumping around with "owpain in my butt".

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

BadSamaritan posted:

New thread title.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

So many good thread titles ITT lately and not a mod to be seen

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

life is killing me posted:

Mods don’t breed (thank CHRIST!) :haw:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

priznat posted:

Mods don’t breed (thank CHRIST!) :haw:

That’s true, can’t imagine what the pitter-patter of little mods would sound like

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That’s true, can’t imagine what the pitter-patter of little mods would sound like

Just probing everything (phrasing!!!)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I've had mods say to use the "report post" button to flag thread titles.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

So we recently introduced formula because my wife’s supply is going down. We started with like 1/3 formula, 2/3 breastmilk, now it’s half and half. But lately she’s been having diarrhea and we are worried it’s the formula. Not sure what we are gonna do if she’s not taking to the formula, but should we keep going or stop to see if that’s the issue? Or should we switch to another type/brand? She’s on Enfamil NeuroPro whatever (the purple one).

Shifty Pony posted:

I've had mods say to use the "report post" button to flag thread titles.

Idk, seems pretty sus

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

You could switch formula, maybe see your dr if it continues, maybe it's a sensitivity. On the other hand when our first switched to formula it took a week for her digestive system to get used to something different, and had super weird poops.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

So we recently introduced formula because my wife’s supply is going down. We started with like 1/3 formula, 2/3 breastmilk, now it’s half and half. But lately she’s been having diarrhea and we are worried it’s the formula. Not sure what we are gonna do if she’s not taking to the formula, but should we keep going or stop to see if that’s the issue? Or should we switch to another type/brand? She’s on Enfamil NeuroPro whatever (the purple one).

This happened with our son too when we had to supplement—we were using the same brand you are too. He had diarrhea and reflux for weeks, and we think it was a dairy sensitivity. We switched to Similac Alimentum on our pediatrician’s recommendation which eliminated the diarrhea and greatly reduced the reflux.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

killer crane posted:

You could switch formula, maybe see your dr if it continues, maybe it's a sensitivity. On the other hand when our first switched to formula it took a week for her digestive system to get used to something different, and had super weird poops.

Might try switching formula if the wife'll go for it, but it seems more likely she will want to wait out at least this week and see if there's improvement.

Genpei Turtle posted:

This happened with our son too when we had to supplement—we were using the same brand you are too. He had diarrhea and reflux for weeks, and we think it was a dairy sensitivity. We switched to Similac Alimentum on our pediatrician’s recommendation which eliminated the diarrhea and greatly reduced the reflux.

This never happened with our first that I can remember, but he weaned himself off the breast and forced us to switch to pure formula. The instant we try to introduce formula more slowly to our second, she gets the shits.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

Silent Linguist posted:

It makes sense when you learn that babies don’t digest food as well as adults. Like when we were baffled by some mysterious alien seed pod-looking things in there, but finally realized they were chunks of banana.

My favorite weird poop discovery was unchewed raisins will rehydrate and get pooped out as poo poo grapes. I legitimately panicked and called a nurse line over that when my oldest was a baby.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
I've panicked several times over what I thought was blood before remembering kiddo ate a bunch of watermelon the night before.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Note to self, don't casually read this thread while eating a snack

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Always a fan of the good ole am I pissing blood or is it just beets

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

When they eat crayons you get confetti poops.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
5:30: MAMA IS TIME TO GET UP I WANT TO GO DOWNSTAIRS MAMA GET UP PUT ON CLOTHES
*i lose the battle of it still being sleepy time, so I drag myself out of bed and get dressed *
Toddler has complete meltdown because she wants to put my deodorant on her armpits by herself…MAMA I WANT TO RUB MY ARMPITS BY MYSEEEEEELFFFFF. Ugh way too early for a tantrum.
6:00 We are downstairs. MAMA I’M SLEEPY.

So now e we are watching coco melon while she yawns, and I’m trying to raise myself from the dead with coffee because I was up almost every hour with the baby overnight and uuugghhh.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My 6 year old has long dark hair and is also awake at weird times and likes to “ringu” (as she calls it) my wife and I where she appears behind a door in the dark with the hair over her face and I’ve gotten used to it now but it still freaks out my wife.

She has never seen the movies of course my wife just said it one time and she adopted the term. She doesn’t break character until she turns away either lmao. Just a grade a ham we got here.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Nickelodeon is going all in a Blue's Clues 25th anniversary, it was a little after my time, but my little sister seemed to like it, and now my boy likes it. Watching the old episodes, everything is so much slower. Oh and someone has returned in the hour of need:

https://mobile.twitter.com/StevenBeynon/status/1435590133458296834

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Nickelodeon is going all in a Blue's Clues 25th anniversary, it was a little after my time, but my little sister seemed to like it, and now my boy likes it. Watching the old episodes, everything is so much slower. Oh and someone has returned in the hour of need:

https://mobile.twitter.com/StevenBeynon/status/1435590133458296834

I saw this on Facebook. No, I wasn't an almost-31-year-old man having this grand epiphany about my children and myself and on the verge of actually bawling at Steve coming back to do this.

I sit and think about the fact that Joe was my oldest kids' Steve. Josh is my youngest's Steve. Literally my life and my children's lives have been touched by this show, and we have all adored it. I still remember the songs, I was ecstatic when Salt and Pepper had Paprika and Cinnamon, I was a Luddite angryman when Josh upgraded from the Handy Dandy Notebook to the Handy Dandy notebook-PDA, and when "We Just Got a Letter" became "We Just Got an E-Mail".

No, I'm not tearing up again as I write this, why do you ask?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

priznat posted:

My 6 year old has long dark hair and is also awake at weird times and likes to “ringu” (as she calls it) my wife and I where she appears behind a door in the dark with the hair over her face and I’ve gotten used to it now but it still freaks out my wife.

She has never seen the movies of course my wife just said it one time and she adopted the term. She doesn’t break character until she turns away either lmao. Just a grade a ham we got here.

This is amazing.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
We let the the 20 month old stay up an hour past his bedtime on Tuesday night so we could have a little more time at Rosh Hashanah dinner at our friends’ house. Well, it resulted in him being so tired yesterday he fell asleep in his high chair two bites into dinner, which then led to him waking up at 4 AM screaming “hungry! hungry!”, then staying awake babbling and flopping around until finally passing out for an hour at 6.

Never, ever, ever disrupt the schedule.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Oh my god I’m having A Bad Day. I was putting laundry away in my daughter’s bedroom and she was “helping” by sitting in the laundry basket and throwing things on to the floor. She managed to tip over backwards and hit the back of her head on the leg corner of the rocking chair, and got a gash that bled all over the place. I put a washcloth inside a stocking hat, packed up the kids, and rushed to the ER.

The laceration is pretty small but she needed three staples. She was a little rock star the whole time, I even had her laughing and squealing playing dramatic catch with a blown up glove. I didn’t realize there was blood all over my face from hugging her until the nurse gently suggested I wash my face, and I looked in the mirror. She only cried when the staples went in and when I said we had to leave, she wanted to stay and play more. The PA and nurse were amazing, they had her smiling and giggling, we were home an hour later. The baby screamed almost the whole time we were there but what can you do.

Got home and threw all of us in the shower, Baby did great, toddler actually let me rinse the blood out of her hair, and I got a shower too. However when I was drying everyone off, toddler got in one of her high energy moods and looked like she was going to hit the baby, so I picked him up to get him out of the way, but she managed to kick him in the face as I was picking him up. So he’s screaming, I quite harshly say DO NOT HURT YOUR BROTHER, then she starts screaming, and we are in the bathroom so it’s amplified by a thousand.

Go downstairs, I had picked up some McDonald’s as a super special treat since we never eat fast food, and discover they forgot to include her happy meal. So I pack up the kids again, both still screaming, and drive back to get her food. She was excited about her nuggies but had one bite and dumped the rest on the floor.

They both fell asleep in the car so I drove around for a bit for their afternoon nap. Got home, unlocked my front door, and managed to scrape the skin off my arm from my wrist to the elbow on the key in the lock somehow.

Now I get to call a divorce mediator because my husband wants a ton of money from me even though I’ve always been the bread winner, saver of my own money, and provider/carer for everything and it’s a long story and I’m so over it.

Six hours until bedtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Eggnogium posted:

Never, ever, ever disrupt the schedule.

This checks out.

Every "disastrous" day we've had so far (whatever that means with a generally well-behaved kid) has been due to upsetting the schedule of eating or sleeping. Every tantrum comes 15 minutes before lunch or 15 minutes before dinner, and if the meal overshoots its appointed time by 15 minutes, the tantrum is more or less guaranteed.