Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Republicans posted:

Don't forget gyros, which are probably the most prolific of the "spit-roasted sliced meat in pita" offerings available in America. loving Jack in the Box sold them for a time.
Every generic non-chain pizza place sells them around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Ravenfood posted:

Every generic non-chain pizza place sells them around here.

Most people in the US consider gyros as being Greek, not thinking about all the time that Greece was controlled by the Turks and the mixing of cultures.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

7thBatallion posted:

James Buchanan's First Lady was smoking hot.

Really? King's nose seems rather too large for his face. But I'm not really one to judge, since I am straight.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've found some really good source of extreme right-wing dialogue is to find a fast-food place that does breakfast that gets a table of 3-6 retirees who sit around all morning with their coffee and bitch about government, Obama, Democrats and everyone/anyone who isn't them..

Acelerion posted:

The conservative over sexualization of women is something that always bothered me as extremely hypocritical.

In the span of 30 seconds people will go from talking about Jesus and "them drat women that can't keep their legs shut" to which fox news anchor they would most like to gently caress. All without the slightest sense of self awareness.

Another forum I vist prefers bikini clad babes as avatars (and the discussion thereof) and constantly gets off on derails decrying the morals of today's teenagers, how they wouldent let their daughters dress like whores, and how we lost religion as a country and are totally doomed.

Not quite the same thing, but back on my fast food thing, a few years back I was in one and a guy comes up to me and starts trying to talk politics, starts talking how he never thought he'd vote for a woman president but he'd vote for Palin because she'd make a great president, starts asking about favorite music and my favorite president, how Clinton and Obama ruined the country, etc. I was really not wanting to have this conversation.

However, in the midst of this, he starts talking about how loving disgraceful it is for girls to show up at church dressed up with a lot of make-up and short skirts and it's offensive. But he really gets lingering on that for a little too long, and his tone quickly went from one of being offended to sounding like he was aroused by his own descriptions of how slutty girls dressed these days.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

7thBatallion posted:

James Buchanan's First Lady was smoking hot.

???

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Fixed that for you.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
If every presidential paramour became first lady JFK would have had dozens.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
To me it's not even shocking anymore when you run into stuff like the conservative slut-o-phobia/mania and people who've transposed lust into anger/projection. It's shocking that people in America have been struggling with puritanism, sexual frustration and the national kink for sex to always be dirty and secret, and then still don't recognize behaviors like this for what they are, but the actual behaviors are so commonplace it's almost cute when you run into someone so wound up and confused by their own poo poo that they do stuff like get hot and bothered while they protest too much about those darn skirts.

I suspect many problems in our populace would go away if we somehow convinced everyone that jacking/jilling off wasn't the worst thing ever.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 11, 2014

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
King went well beyond being a paramour. I mean, they lived together and, by all accounts, were treated as a couple. Andrew Jackson, as you can well imagine, didn't much like minorities (racial, sexual, religious -- didn't matter, he hated 'em all) and had a lot of choice words to say on the relationship.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's shocking that people in America...don't recognize behaviors like this for what they are

I-is it?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

To me it's not even shocking anymore when you run into stuff like the conservative slut-o-phobia/mania and people who've transposed lust into anger/projection. It's shocking that people in America have been struggling with puritanism, sexual frustration and the national kink for sex to always be dirty and secret, and then still don't recognize behaviors like this for what they are, but the actual behaviors are so commonplace it's almost cute when you run into someone so wound up and confused by their own poo poo that they do stuff like get hot and bothered while they protest too much about those darn skirts.

I suspect many problems in our populace would go away if we somehow convinced everyone that jacking/jilling off wasn't the worst thing ever.

This is well put and doesn't get talked about enough. I've read some studies about the suppression of sexual desires correlating to increases in violent impulses and behavior and I'm inclined to believe it. There's a shame and guilt factor at work here that i think accounts for a lot of the misogyny, homophobia, self loathing and anger in the modern conservative mind.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

That is to say, the existence of these behaviors and running into them on a regular basis is less shocking than the idea that we still consider attributing them to nationwide repression as controversial.

Although I suppose feigning or internalizing the idea that we just don't know what causes conservative/christian sexual weirdness is a feature not a bug.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 11, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Although I suppose feigning or internalizing the idea that we just don't know what causes conservative/christian sexual weirdness is a feature not a bug.

Repression and shame.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

King went well beyond being a paramour. I mean, they lived together and, by all accounts, were treated as a couple. Andrew Jackson, as you can well imagine, didn't much like minorities (racial, sexual, religious -- didn't matter, he hated 'em all) and had a lot of choice words to say on the relationship.

He was also quite dead when Buchanan became President.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

This is well put and doesn't get talked about enough. I've read some studies about the suppression of sexual desires correlating to increases in violent impulses and behavior and I'm inclined to believe it. There's a shame and guilt factor at work here that i think accounts for a lot of the misogyny, homophobia, self loathing and anger in the modern conservative mind.

Pffft sounds like fuckin' bullshit to me, man. Now let us brighten the mood with some Wholesome TV Violence! A man getting shot and dying on TV is way less objectionable than a boob or something you perverts WOOOO

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/07/7-ways-paul-ryan-revealed-his-love-for-ayn-rand.html

Ross Doudthat sez that we can't judge Paul Ryan based on the things he does, but rather the things he might feel on the inside. Just cause Paul Ryan's came up with, presented, and voted on several budgets that would make lives utterly miserable doesn't mean that he actually wants to see that happen, the argument goes.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

BiggerBoat posted:

Repression and shame.

That's what I'm saying, those are the very obvious reasons....but those same reasons also cause a vast portion of our population to either pretend or believe that there aren't obvious causes to point out. Even when our mass denial runs into something like the LA spree shooter we still avoid addressing the idea that the dudes hosed up view of sex contributed to his mentality on anything but the most surface level i.e. he was mad at women so he killed them, and some other people. Like okay that's a basic reading about it but why and how does a guy that age not know that EVERYONE had a time in their life when they were young and not getting laid? Why does he have access and a prediliction towards a library of MRA and PUA bullshit but not more realistic and healthy discussions about sex and getting laid?

Monkey Fracas posted:

Pffft sounds like fuckin' bullshit to me, man. Now let us brighten the mood with some Wholesome TV Violence! A man getting shot and dying on TV is way less objectionable than a boob or something you perverts WOOOO

Reminds me, I was watching a documentary about comics in the 40's-60's and the guy who was doing Nick Fury in the 60's said you couldn't show a panel with a phone off the hook after a bunch of romantic panels because it implied sex, so instead he put in a frame of a gun being put in a holster and no one had a problem with it.

We are really weird.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 11, 2014

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

JediTalentAgent posted:

I've found some really good source of extreme right-wing dialogue is to find a fast-food place that does breakfast that gets a table of 3-6 retirees who sit around all morning with their coffee and bitch about government, Obama, Democrats and everyone/anyone who isn't them.
This is very true. When I go up to Raleigh to visit my grandma or pick her up for a road trip we always go to breakfast at McDonald's to meet with her usual breakfast crowd who sits in front of the TV playing Fox News. Whenever there's a break in conversation they stare at the TV and mutter to themselves about whatever fearmongering Fox is scrolling across.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Mr Interweb posted:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/07/7-ways-paul-ryan-revealed-his-love-for-ayn-rand.html

Ross Doudthat sez that we can't judge Paul Ryan based on the things he does, but rather the things he might feel on the inside. Just cause Paul Ryan's came up with, presented, and voted on several budgets that would make lives utterly miserable doesn't mean that he actually wants to see that happen, the argument goes.

So in other words he's saying that we should all be voting on good feelings and intentions. Well, I know a certain man who had a lot of good intentions for his country and people, and that man was ... you guessed it ... Barack "The Islamic Shock" Hussein in the Membrane Superallah Obama.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
My work place sucks. At any given moment, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh AND Sean Hannity are all playing.

At the same time.

Loudly. Like, the people listening to it will constantly turn it up so they can hear it over the other persons.

And my current job requires me to review audio for tiny defects. I'm honestly considering quitting.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
It's always Monday, Wednesday and Friday this summer where the guys who work at the front desk in the weight room have the TV set to Fox, even though as far as I can tell they don't even watch it and just browse Facebook. At least pretty much none of the eateries surrounding my university play Fox, though (it's always local news channels or ESPN for the ones that actually have TVs).

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

My work place sucks. At any given moment, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh AND Sean Hannity are all playing.

At the same time.

Loudly. Like, the people listening to it will constantly turn it up so they can hear it over the other persons.

And my current job requires me to review audio for tiny defects. I'm honestly considering quitting.

Can't you just tell them that you are unable to do your listening required job due to the noise pollution of job creators being blown and thus to shut it off?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ahahaha a Facebook friend just posted this Peggy Noonan article

Peggy Noonan posted:

What is happening at the southern border is a true and actual crisis. News accounts justly use words like chaos, collapse and breakdown. They feature images of children—toddlers, 4- and 5-year-olds—being shuffled to warehouse holding centers, sleeping crowded at night on what look like pallets, covered only in Mylar blankets. "I never thought we'd have refugee camps in America," said Texas Sen. John Cornyn, "but that's what it's appearing."

All this gives normal people a feeling of besiegement and foreboding. Is a nation without borders a nation? Washington's leaders seem to recognize what's happening as a political problem, not a real problem. That is, they betray no honest alarm. They just sort of stand in clusters and say things.

There seem only two groups that view the situation with appropriate alarm.

One is the children themselves, dragged through deserts to be deposited here

The other group feeling a proper alarm is normal Americans, who are seeing all this on TV and who judge they are witnessing a level of lawlessness that has terrible implications for the country.
Little children looking lost—no one's taking care of them. Older ones settling in the garage, or working a window to the cellar. You call the cops. At first they don't come. Then they come and shout through a bull horn and take some of the kids and put them in a shelter a few blocks away. But more kids keep coming! You call your alderman and he says there's nothing he can do. Then he says wait, we're going to pass a bill and get more money to handle the crisis. You ask, "Does that mean the kids will go home?" He says no, but it may make things feel more orderly.

There are two groups who feel alarm, the poor kids who are dragged here against their will, and the poor racists who don't want Hispanics around.

Peggy Noonan posted:

They know America can't pay its bills. They fear we're living on the fumes of greatness. They want us to be strong again. Watching our border collapse doesn't look like a harbinger of progress.

I mean we could have given each of these hundred thousand children $1,000,000 and it would still cost us less than blowing up Iraq war like she wanted to so bad.

Peggy Noonan posted:

Here it must be said that those who live comfortable lives can afford to roll with the historical punches. But people who are not affluent live closer to the ground, and closer to the country's deterioration. The rougher America becomes, the more they feel the abrasion. They're not protected.

:irony:
"The affluent just don't understand the struggles of the poor" says the affluent white woman as she argues to kick helpless refugee children to the curb for the crime of annoying her with their existence.

Peggy Noonan posted:

The latest border surge has been going on for at least two years. Children and others are coming because they believe that under the president's leadership, if they get here they'll get a pass to stay. (They're probably right.) This was predictable. Two years ago Texas Gov. Rick Perry wrote the president that the number of unaccompanied children was spiking sharply. He warned that unless the government moves, other minors would attempt the journey and find themselves in "extremely dangerous situations.

If only Obama would be more cruel to these children than the miserable conditions they're fleeing! Then they wouldn't come here!

Peggy Noonan posted:

There is every sign he let the crisis on the border build to put heat on Republicans and make them pass his idea of good immigration reform. It would be "comprehensive," meaning huge, impenetrable and probably full of mischief. His base wants it. It would no doubt benefit the Democratic Party in the long term.

Don't feed the little turds, they won't vote for me!

Peggy Noonan posted:

The little children in great danger, holding hands, staring blankly ahead, are pawns in a larger game. That game is run by adults. How cold do you have to be to use children in this way?
:irony::irony::irony::irony::irony::irony::irony::irony:

God, what a horrible witch. I thought she believed America was a Christian Nation but I guess that's only when it comes to bashing gays and owning women, not succoring refugee children.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 11, 2014

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Gawker's Hamilton Nolan had a great breakdown of that Noonan column.

Hamilton Nolan posted:

This is how Peggy Noonan thinks normal people think: just like Peggy Noonan, in the midst of a gin-soaked afternoon fever dream, four Xanax deep, beset by visions. Is that you mother? I'm home again. Home in America. A squealing boiler. Nightmare children. Squirrels and hornets. Buzzing! Buzzing! Buzzing, attacking, advancing upon my castle, my home, my fortress! The police can do nothing. The children, they stare with dead eyes, needy. Children of the corn—Mexican corn.

Would you perchance fetch me my laudanum? I need a tonic. I am normal. I am America. I am Peggy. My door is locked.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is an excellent example of why Obama shouldn't go the border, probably shouldn't do anything other than renew calls for money to help fix the problem.

Yes it is a crisis, and not just because the GOP says it's a crisis. Yes it's a humanitarian disaster. But who are the victims? Seriously? There's nobody that Obama can show sympathy towards and not create a poo poo storm. He can call for compassion and charity for the children but he can't actually embrace them because they are in fact refugees with no legal status. He's sure as hell not going to sympathize with the crazies calling for their extermination as vermin. It's a really screwed up issue, a classic rock and a hard place.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Right Wing Media: four Xanax deep, beset by visions

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Buchanan was unmarried in office, I thought, which the US Mint defaults to LIBERTY on coinage. Unless my dollars lied to me.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

7thBatallion posted:

Buchanan was unmarried in office, I thought, which the US Mint defaults to LIBERTY on coinage. Unless my dollars lied to me.

Buchanan never married at all.

Apparently a relative served as First Lady.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 12, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lycus posted:

Buchanan never married at all.

I think a poster above might've did a google image search for "james buchanan first lady" and a picture of another politician's wife from that time period came up.

Buchanan's first lady was his Niece or something.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Pfft, yeah I looked deeper into it right after I posted, you got me before I edited.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

Willingly rereading Atlas Shrugged should be grounds for a compulsory psychiatric ward visit.

Also my father's boss gives out Ayn Rand books as "presents". He gave one to my dad who skimmed through it then threw it out.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

I really don't get racists. Michelle is the first FLILF we've had since Jackie.

Sorry but Barbara Bush for me. :mrgw:

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Also my father's boss gives out Ayn Rand books as "presents". He gave one to my dad who skimmed through it then threw it out.
Is your dad's boss a business tycoon, or at least a CxO? Because it's funny when any random corporate officer has an "I'm indispensible!" Randian self-image, it's more pathetic when it's a middle-manager copping the same attitude.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Sacha Cohen was pretty hard for her too:
http://youtu.be/chhEUQ9uaI8?t=2m19s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhNwE5-AbRE

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 12, 2014

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

One of my favorite Mad TV sketches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HbvtNNGBMk

Oprah, Betty Ford, Nancy Reagan, and Barbara Bush doing the Vagina Monologues

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

sweart gliwere posted:

Is your dad's boss a business tycoon, or at least a CxO? Because it's funny when any random corporate officer has an "I'm indispensible!" Randian self-image, it's more pathetic when it's a middle-manager copping the same attitude.

If you're not the absolute top dog in Randyland, you're poo poo. Eddie Willers was acquainted with every main character. He hung out with John Galt on a daily basis and knew Dagny from childhood. He worked his way up to Vice President of Taggart Transcontinental.

In the end he is abandoned in the wilderness because he's not good enough to be let into Galt's Gulch.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shbobdb posted:

I really don't get racists. Michelle is the first FLILF we've had since Jackie.

She is basically the typical ideal of the first lady, she's fashionable, very attractive, charismatic, able to talk to pretty much most demographics (or, at the least, the ones that are important in the realpolitic of things) and even willing to joke about herself and all rather than react badly to the endless poo poo people throw at her.

You can imagine how enraged these totally not racist and sane people get when they realize this uppity negress who once said a mean thing about America is basically what they've spent their entire lives demanding the FLOTUS be.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Is it wrong that I'm more excited to have First Gentleman Bill Clinton than I am about our first woman president?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Pharmaskittle posted:

Is it wrong that I'm more excited to have First Gentleman Bill Clinton than I am about our first woman president?

I believe you mean "First Laddie." :colbert:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Swan Oat posted:

Gawker's Hamilton Nolan had a great breakdown of that Noonan column.

I've been saying for a while that Noonan's basically transformed herself from annoying, fuddy duddy pundit to basically Michelle Bachmann on xanax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/07/11/texas-right-wing-militia-to-child-immigrants-get-back-or-you-will-be-shot/
Apparently a ton of milltia nuts are headed toward the borderd. It seemes alot of them have "shoot to kill" orders too. So how long do you think its gonna be before a group of these chucklefucks massacres a group of children.