Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Arcsech posted:

I finished Ann Leckie's new book, Provenance, recently. It's a nice, fun read with some interesting ideas. Definitely lighter than the Ancillary books, but still good. It's set in the same universe as the Ancillary books, but in a human society outside the Radch. It's interesting to get a different perspective on some things in that universe.

I also ran across a very strange series that starts with the The Chronicles of Old Guy. It is told from the perspective of a sentient Cybertank, the titular Old Guy, built by humans but long after humans have mysteriously vanished, leaving the cybertanks as the sole remnant of humanity, carrying on art, culture, and philosophy. This is, as should be obvious, a comedy series.

It's better than it sounds.

The dude who wrote it is an electrical engineer who went on to get a PhD in physiology, specializing in neurobiology, so there's actually a sensible justification given for why cybertanks are the only sentient devices created by the humans, and, more or less, act the way they do. The first one is $0.99 on Kindle and it's worth checking out if you want a very light semi-hard SF comedy read. I haven't started the second yet, but the reviews claim the rest are good as well.

This tank thing sounds interesting/funny enough to spend .99 on. I've never heard of the print publisher before but having a print publisher at all at least means an editor looked it over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Finally read Charles Stoss's "Delirium Brief" out of morbid curiosity thanks to a library.
I stopped caring about the characters around the time Bob got promoted to Mahogany Row/External assets

Thoughts on Delirium Brief: It was interesting to read Stross's feeling about UK government services privatization, and the FYGM mentality of UK politicians;
really could have gone without Stross novelizing his fetishes...again.

One annoying note: Has that Laundry ritual of "Execute Sitrep One" check for tampering" EVER come back with "Yes, COMPROMISED. gently caress YOU". ?
Because that would get me interested in the Laundry series again.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

The third-most-recent US president launched an unprovoked invasion, killing 1.2 million people, because his advisors convinced him of its merits in scriptural terms. The current US vice-president followed in the footsteps of his hero, Reagan, by causing a localised HIV epidemic because he felt women and gay people deserved death. The current-most-likely next prime minister of the U.K. (assuming no general election before the Conservative leadership collapses) is from one side of a vicious sectarian conflict that has only recently simmered down (and which he will likely reignite), has done his level best to restrict the rights of women and gay people, and will try as hard as he can to plunge the country off the cliff it's teetering over and reduce it to an ancap dystopia because he's that rare thing, a Catholic who buys into the prosperity gospel.

Doing horrifying poo poo because of religion is hardly exclusive to the perfidious Mussulman.

Rees-Mogg isn't a norn. He is an inbred rabbit brained quiverfull nut job though. And likely to lead the Tory party into third or possibly fourth place. Religion is anathema for politicians in the UK. Who were you thinking?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

andrew smash posted:

Anybody have a good audible recommendation? I just finished the stone sky and need something new for the car.

https://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/Columbus-Day-Audiobook/B01N48VJFJ

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I've been directed to Matthew Hughes' Majestrum as something close to Vance's Dying Earth. Anyone have any views on it and how well it does this particular subenre? Also, does it lean more towards the fantasy or the science aspects of the Dying Earth setting? By that I mean is it pretty much a weird fantasy setting which is nominally Earth or a really weird setting where a lot of the phenomena have some obscure-but-nonetheless-there grounding in science or sci fi concepts (the New Sun would be an example of the latter).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Collateral posted:

Rees-Mogg isn't a norn. He is an inbred rabbit brained quiverfull nut job though. And likely to lead the Tory party into third or possibly fourth place. Religion is anathema for politicians in the UK. Who were you thinking?

He's not, but the British government run Northern Ireland - and will likely do so directly soon, thanks to the collapse of the power-sharing agreement - and since the Conservatives are in power during a gigantic economic crisis, and have a slim enough majority that they will try to hold off a general as long as they can, he can do a lot of damage before the next general election. He only has to be in power for months to cripple the country with a hard Brexit.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Collateral posted:

Darth Walrus posted:

He's not, but the British government run Northern Ireland - and will likely do so directly soon, thanks to the collapse of the power-sharing agreement - and since the Conservatives are in power during a gigantic economic crisis, and have a slim enough majority that they will try to hold off a general as long as they can, he can do a lot of damage before the next general election. He only has to be in power for months to cripple the country with a hard Brexit.

johnsonrod posted:

Holy poo poo... go back to loving D&D with this stupid poo poo.

This isn't about books, wrong forum -- let the derail end please.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Umm too (much (nesting (of meaning))).

Quiverfull.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Neurosis posted:

I've been directed to Matthew Hughes' Majestrum as something close to Vance's Dying Earth. Anyone have any views on it and how well it does this particular subenre? Also, does it lean more towards the fantasy or the science aspects of the Dying Earth setting? By that I mean is it pretty much a weird fantasy setting which is nominally Earth or a really weird setting where a lot of the phenomena have some obscure-but-nonetheless-there grounding in science or sci fi concepts (the New Sun would be an example of the latter).

I think I've mentioned Hughes once or twice -- he's the only writer I've seen who can get close to Vance's style.

The Henghis Hapthorn books (of which Majestrum is one) are what I'd call weird fantasy or science fantasy, although they're nominally set in the far future.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Neurosis posted:

Paula Volsky's The Luck of Relian Kru is a pretty decent Dying Earth pastiche, and Michael Shea's The Quest for Simbilis was written with Vance's permission as a sequel to Eyes of the Overworld - this was before Vance himself wrote Cugel's Saga. Shea also wrote the Nifft the Lean stories, which are very Dying Earth-ish, though not AFAIR explicitly in that world.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There's always The Night Land and Viriconium.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

occamsnailfile posted:

ASOIF leans pretty heavy on the War of the Roses at least initially, Honor Harrington obfuscates with its chatter about individual missiles but uses a lot of Nelson's career (and Robe S. Pierre of course) but we don't call them poo poo because they draw on historical events

Basically people are willing to consume dramatizations of historical events already, I guess I don't care much if they dress them up in different clothes so long as it's a fun ride.

Saberhagen has done this with some of the Berserker novels. Off the top of my head, he's done Midway and the Siege of Malta.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

occamsnailfile posted:

ASOIF leans pretty heavy on the War of the Roses at least initially, Honor Harrington obfuscates with its chatter about individual missiles but uses a lot of Nelson's career (and Robe S. Pierre of course) but we don't call them poo poo because they draw on historical events

Basically people are willing to consume dramatizations of historical events already, I guess I don't care much if they dress them up in different clothes so long as it's a fun ride.

Not to mention Belisarius showing up all over the place.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Runcible Cat posted:

Paula Volsky's The Luck of Relian Kru is a pretty decent Dying Earth pastiche

I could never get into this one, but I remember really liking her "Wolf of Winter".

quote:

Shea also wrote the Nifft the Lean stories, which are very Dying Earth-ish, though not AFAIR explicitly in that world.

They're also extremely out-of-print.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Runcible Cat posted:

Paula Volsky's The Luck of Relian Kru is a pretty decent Dying Earth pastiche, and Michael Shea's The Quest for Simbilis was written with Vance's permission as a sequel to Eyes of the Overworld - this was before Vance himself wrote Cugel's Saga. Shea also wrote the Nifft the Lean stories, which are very Dying Earth-ish, though not AFAIR explicitly in that world.

thanks, will check those out

i got 10% through majestrum last night; enjoying it quite a lot so far so it seems the recommendation was a good one.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's always The Night Land and Viriconium.

way ahead of you on those.

different medium but the torment game that came out this year did dying earth really well.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Worked for Vonnegut

And Čapek

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
have there been any good first contact/space/weird exploration books in the past year or so? I've probably read everything older than that, but its hard to keep up with new releases sometimes

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

have there been any good first contact/space/weird exploration books in the past year or so? I've probably read everything older than that, but its hard to keep up with new releases sometimes

Have you read Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky? It came out in 2015 so not under a year but I'd say it loosely meets your criteria. It's also a really awesome book and I take any opportunity I can to recommend it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

johnsonrod posted:

Have you read Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky? It came out in 2015 so not under a year but I'd say it loosely meets your criteria. It's also a really awesome book and I take any opportunity I can to recommend it.

yeah, I thought it was pretty good

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Steven Erikson also recently announced a scifi first contact book, this time a serious one.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

ters around the time Bob got promoted to Mahogany Row/External assets

Thoughts on Delirium Brief: It was interesting to read Stross's feeling about UK government services privatization, and the FYGM mentality of UK politicians;
really could have gone without Stross novelizing his fetishes...again.

While I HOPE Stross's fetishes don't include segmented alien worms hiding in women's vagina's and snapping off dude's dicks I too found the sex stuff tiresome. (I think that's what you were referring to?)

Rough Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 17, 2017

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

For Stross, that was subtle. And no, I'm not joking.
Stross tends to echo back to that creepy Heinlein-Niven "novelize your fetish-fantasies to make them mainstream" school of writing.

Anyway. something got me re-reading A.E. Van Vogt's "Voyage of the Space Beagle" @1950, a short story collection about a human interstellar exploration ship encountering weirdness in space.
The humans aren't the draw in the book (except for the last story), instead it's the exponentially more dangerous alien encounters that are the real draw.

The first story is about an alien panther-thing being picked up on a dying alien planet by the exploration ship + then things go badly(or super-right depending on your viewpoint).
Gary Gygax borrowed the physical description + some of it's powers when designing the "displacer beast" monster in Dungeons & Dragons.

Another story in is about an alien encounter in deep deep space. Which really feels like a super-rough draft of the alien Xenomorph from the Aliens movie franchise.
No lie, 20th century fox settled a lawsuit over the crazy amount of similarities in the movie versus the short story.

There is also encounters with a hive-mind alien race inhabiting a cluster of star systems, then finally a uh, the term 'encounter' seems so limiting when its the exploration vessel versus a entire galactic consciousness evolved from bacteria.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

For Stross, that was subtle. And no, I'm not joking.
Stross tends to echo back to that creepy Heinlein-Niven "novelize your fetish-fantasies to make them mainstream" school of writing.

I... Really don't agree, at least about the Laundry books. The sex parasite stuff can get a bit much, I agree, but from the books themselves and comments he's made on Twitter it really seems like he's going for a body horror angle with that stuff rather than fetish-fantasy.

That said, I haven't read his other stuff beyond Singularity Sky and Iron Sunrise, which I don't recall having much weird sex stuff, although it has been a while.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arcsech posted:

That said, I haven't read his other stuff beyond Singularity Sky and Iron Sunrise, which I don't recall having much weird sex stuff, although it has been a while.

Stross doesn't usually go for weird sex stuff. It's showing up in Apocalypse Codex and Delirium Brief because the bad guy is an American Christian Evangelical type with Mythos influences and later actual mind control. Europeans really don't understand the level of shame present in American sexual culture. There's absolutely no way that the Rev. Schiller could be an antagonist without weird sexuality turning up. It's for the same reason you can show a murder on American TV and not an act of love (or lust).

Nobody is bitching about the combined maternity/ICU ward, and that is really good and really scary body horror.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 16, 2017

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Stross is cool with interesting ideas and is able to handwave plausiblity into pretty shaky story concepts & narratives.
Bitcoin transactions as the basis for a entire book for example.
Sometimes he just lets his freak flag fly, with smaller doses in the Laundry series@, or less restrained like his Heinlein homage book, the spammer torture from Rule 34, or Glasshouse.
Again, Stross is cool with interesting ideas and is able to handwave plausiblity into pretty shaky story concepts & narratives.

@Spoiling the Laundry stuff because there was more than I remembered, and I skipped reading 2-4 books in the Laundry series, the books after Schiller cult pt 1 to be exact.
Laundry series that I remember offhand: the male sucubus lure for Mo in book 1 pt 2, the sex dream nightmare/the goodBad Bond girl from book 2,
the sex death cult sex bed Bob gets tied to for plot reasons in Fuller book, the Schiller cult pt 1: Your mouth-my mind-worm & pt2: genital mutilation 4 AlienJesus

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

mllaneza posted:

There's absolutely no way that the Rev. Schiller could be an antagonist without weird sexuality turning up.

It is my understanding and expectation, now, that IRL every single American family-values charismatic preacher is IN THE BEST CASE a hypocritically closeted homosexual, and in every other case secretly into some sort of horribly weird sex. At least, no revelation of such has any further surprise value.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Finished The Sparrow - dug the plot and the protagonist well-enough, liked the themes and some of the questions raised, did not like the dumb 1-dimensional characters and most of the writing (thought the whole time "this author is either a crime journalist or science academic," the latter of which turns out to be true - so boring and declarative 95% of the time!) - I don't feel much desire to read the sequel anytime soon, but does the writing and/or characterization improve at all?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Groke posted:

It is my understanding and expectation, now, that IRL every single American family-values charismatic preacher is IN THE BEST CASE a hypocritically closeted homosexual, and in every other case secretly into some sort of horribly weird sex. At least, no revelation of such has any further surprise value.

This is 100% correct. Public American figures are huge on projecting their issues.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So, Phillip Pullman's The Book of Dust is finally coming out in a couple of days. Or at least volume one is. 8 years the original release year he quoted.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Casimir Radon posted:

So, Phillip Pullman's The Book of Dust is finally coming out in a couple of days. Or at least volume one is. 8 years the original release year he quoted.

"Amateur," wheezes George Martin

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

"Amateur," wheezes George Martin
He's been loving off with plenty of side projects I don't think anyone cares about. But probably eats a lot less pizza.

Edit: I'm hoping he didn't disappear up some New Atheism butthole in the intervening years.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 17, 2017

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

PSA: new Vlad Taltos book is out. I'm about halfway through and really enjoying Vlad navigate his way through a 90s point-and-click adventure game.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

PSA: new Vlad Taltos book is out. I'm about halfway through and really enjoying Vlad navigate his way through a 90s point-and-click adventure game.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck yes

Although I'm a few books behind now, and seriously considering just holding off until The Final Contract is out and I can binge-read the whole series in one go.

At least I have Magister Valley to look forward to?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck yes

Although I'm a few books behind now, and seriously considering just holding off until The Final Contract is out and I can binge-read the whole series in one go.

At least I have Magister Valley to look forward to?

I didn't even know this one was out. Just bought.

So there's only one one more left? I remember starting these when I was a freshman in high school --Jherig had just been published. Holy poo poo, 34 years for these so far. I'm... old? When did that happen? :corsair:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Brust's original plan was to have nineteen books in the series (Taltos, The Final Contract, and the seventeen Houses). Vallista is the fifteenth book, so there should be four more to go.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

I didn't even know this one was out. Just bought.

So there's only one one more left? I remember starting these when I was a freshman in high school --Jherig had just been published. Holy poo poo, 34 years for these so far. I'm... old? When did that happen? :corsair:

Only one left? :lol:

There's four left (not necessarily in this order): Lyorn, Tsalmoth, Chreotha, and The Final Contract, for a total of 19 (one for each House, plus Taltos and The Final Contract). At the current rate that means the series will be finished sometime around 2026. :suicide:

Plus the Paarfi books -- Magister Valley is the working title for a new Paarfi novel, which was draft-complete last year and thus hopefully coming out sometime this year or early next.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

Only one left? :lol:

There's four left (not necessarily in this order): Lyorn, Tsalmoth, Chreotha, and The Final Contract, for a total of 19 (one for each House, plus Taltos and The Final Contract).

Plus the Paarfi books -- Magister Valley is the working title for a new Paarfi novel, which was draft-complete last year and thus hopefully coming out sometime this year or early next.

drat so we're looking at probably 45 years of semi-regular Vlad books. That's impressive.

Also, new Paarfi book!! :neckbeard:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There's actually a lot to unpack in Vallista. Like all the good Vlad books (or, "all the Vlad books"), it benefits from careful reading.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wiegieman posted:

There's actually a lot to unpack in Vallista. Like all the good Vlad books (or, "all the Vlad books"), it benefits from careful reading.

Absolutely. This books just keeps unpacking, becoming and richer and deeper as it goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Proteus Jones posted:

Absolutely. This books just keeps unpacking, becoming and richer and deeper as it goes on.

Reader, I murdered him.