Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Three Olives posted:

Given how dangerous they are I assume the CPSC will demand some easily identifiable way for consumers and authorities to tell the difference between the explody ones and a non-explody one.

My pet theory is Samsung will throw in a little more RAM and upclock the processor a little bit, call it the Galaxy Note 7S. That would compel consumers to swap and it would be easy to sort out if your phone is going to burn down your house or not with the S.

I mean some colored stripe or marking would probably suffice for this.

Needless to say this is going to devastate Samsung for years to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's what a recall *is*, though. Saying "This product is too dangerous to be in the hands of consumers". There's obviously negotiation going on with the company beforehand -- the NTSA didn't demand that all Takata-airbag-containing cars be repaired immediately, because it was clearly logistically impossible to pull that many cars off the road. Apparently Samsung was unable to satisfy the CPSC that their exchange plan was adequate to ensure safety. Probably because of the reasons listed in this thread: no fast, reliable way to distinguish a recalled phone from a reissued phone. A blue mark on the box it was sold in doesn't help the airline know if it's safe, and doesn't help somebody buying second-hand know if it's safe.

And it's possible that Samsung just couldn't satisfy the CPSC that the phones they wanted to issue as replacements were absolutely, positively safe. Presumably all this will leak in the weeks to come.

The headline on Samsung's press release is pretty hilarious, though.

"Engagement". So that's how you say "getting curbstomped" in Korea. Good to know.

I mean the core problem is that Samsung thought they could sidestep the official recall process and handle this entirely on their own without declaring a formal recall. Clearly with exploding devices continuing to happen that is an unacceptable solution.

The airbags managed to be delayed because the temporary workaround was to not sit in a seat that was affected by the recall. At least in my case that was the passenger seat, so it was weird and awkward but at least plausible given that I had a full rear bench and a lot of people probably drive solo anyway. Cars that had driver side airbags affected had loaners I think.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

MrBond posted:

The airbags managed to be delayed because the temporary workaround was to not sit in a seat that was affected by the recall. At least in my case that was the passenger seat, so it was weird and awkward but at least plausible given that I had a full rear bench and a lot of people probably drive solo anyway. Cars that had driver side airbags affected had loaners I think.
That's not true. Airbags are being replaced in the order of danger risk: older, hotter climates, humid climates, and then shading on down to new, cold climate. They aren't replacing all the driver-side ones at once because there aren't enough airbags. Basically, if you aren't on the urgent list, you can complain to your car dealer and ask for a loaner if you say you're too afraid to drive, but again there aren't enough loaners to hand them all out to everybody.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Does this mean there will be 5 million cheap af Note 7 refurbs in a few months?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

(hollow voice) I don't know what you're talking about, Dave. There was no Galaxy Note 7.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's not true. Airbags are being replaced in the order of danger risk: older, hotter climates, humid climates, and then shading on down to new, cold climate. They aren't replacing all the driver-side ones at once because there aren't enough airbags. Basically, if you aren't on the urgent list, you can complain to your car dealer and ask for a loaner if you say you're too afraid to drive, but again there aren't enough loaners to hand them all out to everybody.

Fair enough; I certainly don't know how the process is working outside of my own experience. The workaround until parts became available for my car was definitely to not have a human sit in that seat, with optionally completely physically disabling the airbag. Obviously that would be dumb for a driver's side bag, and I don't know how that is working out.

However take heart Americans: the recall process could apparently be a lot more hosed. http://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin/2016/09/07/samsungs-note-7-recall-process-has-been-great-in-the-us-but-terrible-in-asia/#75b1cd723df3

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Nope, this won't affect Samsung beyond the monetary cost of performing the recall.

Think about it--hell, just look at the people in this thread who don't feel it's a big deal. There are people here who, when offered a chance to just get their money back for any other phone are complaining that there isn't some way to just have a loaner device until they can get another one of these same devices.

To anyone who viewed Samsung as a disreputable company, this is validation but nothing new. We'd expect a company like Samsung to manufacture a bomb, then try to avoid a recall while the press eagerly reports people's homes and possessions destroyed. That's just what a lovely company would do when they only care about perception rather than reality.

To anyone who viewed Samsung in a positive light they'd rationalize that this is a one-off thing that could've affected anyone and because Samsung is the largest mover of phones it's only logical it would happen to them. They would say that they are doing the best they can under difficult circumstances and that they still feel the devices are the best on the market, explosions notwithstanding. Further, they would say, there isn't any other manufacturer out there doing what Samsung is doing so they have no alternative but to soldier on.

To feel this will hurt Samsung is to completely ignore that humans, in the face of overwhelming repudiation of their beliefs, double down rather than alter them. See also: Donald Trump candidacy, the Flat Earth Society, creationism.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Samsung is updating labels to distinguish between good and bad Note 7s and will launch an database searchable by IMEI.

e: also Samsung says it's not about charging, it's a short inside the battery.

What'd be good would be also to push a new version of their secure bootloader on with a different logo image whilst they're in shop.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Chiming in to say that they can have my Note7 back when they are ready to hand me a new one 4 seconds later.

I have owned most Nexus phones and every other iPhone (for work) including my current 6S. I've owned phones from HTC, Samsung, Moto, Sony, LG.... some have been great, others terrible, most were fine.

The Note7 (other than being a timebomb) has been truly perfect for the last few weeks. It's a Samsung, so I expect the battery will hold half it's current charge 12 months from now, and I can look forward to waiting way too long for new versions of Android, but my god is this phone good poo poo.

It's a shame they hosed this up, because it really is an amazing phone.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
This is the same company that sold ~170k fire prone washing machines, told some people theirs weren't on the recall list when they should have been (at least one of which did actually catch fire), and came up with a 'fix' which didn't actually eliminate the problem.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/expert-deems-samsung-washing-machine-fix-deficient-20151126-gl9egp

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

eyebeem posted:

Chiming in to say that they can have my Note7 back when they are ready to hand me a new one 4 seconds later.

I have owned most Nexus phones and every other iPhone (for work) including my current 6S. I've owned phones from HTC, Samsung, Moto, Sony, LG.... some have been great, others terrible, most were fine.

The Note7 (other than being a timebomb) has been truly perfect for the last few weeks. It's a Samsung, so I expect the battery will hold half it's current charge 12 months from now, and I can look forward to waiting way too long for new versions of Android, but my god is this phone good poo poo.

Lmao

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

eyebeem posted:

Ah, ha ha. Other than it becoming impossible to fly with, and avoiding a recall would quite possibly mean being personally liable for any fire it might start, it is amazing?

Man, it's is great to see the usual consumerist mindset pushing product expectations to a new loving low.

Looking forward to Samsung remotely bricking all the unreturned devices when next month someone burns down a daycare.

"They can pry this thing from me over my child's cold, dead body!"

Samsung'd.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Blitter posted:

"They can pry this thing from me over my child's cold, dead body!"

Now you're just being ridiculous.

The child's body most certainly would not be cold.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I can't wait to see what they call the fixed version.

"Note 7 inert edition"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

LastInLine posted:

To anyone who viewed Samsung as a disreputable company, this is validation but nothing new. We'd expect a company like Samsung to manufacture a bomb, then try to avoid a recall while the press eagerly reports people's homes and possessions destroyed. That's just what a lovely company would do when they only care about perception rather than reality.
I have stopped believing in reputable companies as a thing. Your mileage may vary. I guess I still have a soft spot in my heart for Toyota and Honda, but even they can produce bad products when they pick a bad supplier (Takata). The insistence on squeezing every last cent out of the supply chain is leading to a lot of cut corners throughout the economy. Takata's competitors flat-out told one automobile company (I can't remember which; this was in the Times) that the explosive Takata was using wasn't safe, and couldn't be made safe, with testing results to back up the opinion, but were ignored.

Maytag washing machines used to be insanely reliable, and not just in the ads. Their first exciting new front-loader grew mold and couldn't be stopped from growing mold. The recall was not widely publicized; I had a Maytag front-loader and never heard about it.

Basically, your experience may vary, but every single company cuts corners nowadays.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
I'm typing this on a note 7.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

beaner69 posted:

Same but ironically and it's currently on fire

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have stopped believing in reputable companies as a thing. Your mileage may vary. I guess I still have a soft spot in my heart for Toyota and Honda, but even they can produce bad products when they pick a bad supplier (Takata). The insistence on squeezing every last cent out of the supply chain is leading to a lot of cut corners throughout the economy. Takata's competitors flat-out told one automobile company (I can't remember which; this was in the Times) that the explosive Takata was using wasn't safe, and couldn't be made safe, with testing results to back up the opinion, but were ignored.

Maytag washing machines used to be insanely reliable, and not just in the ads. Their first exciting new front-loader grew mold and couldn't be stopped from growing mold. The recall was not widely publicized; I had a Maytag front-loader and never heard about it.

Basically, your experience may vary, but every single company cuts corners nowadays.

As Thermopyle posted in this thread not long ago, the key is perceived intentions. If you made me name companies I'd consider "good" I could come up with more than a few because I'd characterize their intentions as more or less benign*. It's about (admittedly, my) belief that they do what they do because they have principles and a desire to things that I agree with.

Like you said though, companies change with market realities and management changes and you have to be mindful of that. No one would say that 2005 Google has the same intentions as 2016 Google, for instance. Still I'd say, much like some people, some companies are aware of how they are perceived and what their culture fosters with their customers (I have no doubt that Oracle internally believes they are as evil as they are perceived, for example).

I guess the tl;dr is that I still believe in a good company.

This goes without saying that company exists to make money and is going to do things pursuant to that end.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Catching up from a few pages ago, but is chip and signature really the current target for the US rather than chip and pin? Whose crazy idea is that?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I usually draw a picture of a cat instead of actually signing. Chip and sign is superior because it offers me this format for my art.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 10, 2016

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
itt: people seeming mystified that capitalism works as advertised

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

iajanus posted:

Catching up from a few pages ago, but is chip and signature really the current target for the US rather than chip and pin? Whose crazy idea is that?

Issuing banks fearful that Americans could not be trained to remember a number. That is the actual reasoning.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

The idea of anyone using signatures for payments in 2016 just boggles the mind.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

beaner69 posted:

Haven't heard from you in a few hours, hope you aren't ash :ohdear:

LastInLine posted:

Issuing banks fearful that Americans could not be trained to remember a number. That is the actual reasoning.

I have no idea, but I doubt this is true given the fact that we have debit cards.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

LastInLine posted:

So how do you guys get cash from an ATM?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Nitrousoxide posted:

http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-woes-continue/

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2006/Apple-Announces-Recall-of-Batteries-Used-in-Previous-iBook-and-PowerBook-Computers-Due-To-Fire-Hazard/

Man, whatever happened to those guys.
(I miss the old pictures of people using flaming Powerbooks to heat a grill, etc)

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Rusty! posted:

The honor system.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I finally had a chance to use Android Pay the other day and it worked super well and no one called the police on me and I hope every place starts accepting contactless payment soon.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

RVProfootballer posted:

I have no idea, but I doubt this is true given the fact that we have debit cards.

That is also the reasoning I've read in articles. "It's too big of a transition all at once"

Not saying it makes sense, but that's their publicly stated reason.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Grumpwagon posted:

That is also the reasoning I've read in articles. "It's too big of a transition all at once"

Not saying it makes sense, but that's their publicly stated reason.

Where is this publicly stated? All of those terminals already ask people for a PIN when using a debit card and they have for years.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

GutBomb posted:

Where is this publicly stated? All of those terminals already ask people for a PIN when using a debit card and they have for years.

its actually this

Shops pay larger fees whenever a customer signs for a transaction, and smaller fees when using a PIN (that's why small shops always want you to pay with your debit card). A chip-and-PIN system would make it all cheaper.

Most banks told CNNMoney they won't be ready for chip-and-PIN by October, because there wasn't enough time to make the necessary computer upgrades.

Hearing that made Mallory Duncan, the nation's top retail lobbyist in Washington, nearly blow his top.

"They made the deadlines!" he said. "Banks got PINs all over Europe, all over Canada. They'd rather have fraud-prone signature, because it potentially makes them more money than a secure PIN."

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Rusty! posted:

Obviously that's been brought up but you're obviously not thinking of it from their point of view which is that they didn't want anyone to try to purchase something, not remember the number, and fail to succeed under any circumstance.

Here is an article from a reputable source about it and here is the relevant excerpt:

Krebs posted:

Visa maintains that it is agnostic on the technology, saying in an emailed statement that the company believes “requiring stakeholders to use just one form of cardholder authentication may unnecessarily complicate the adoption of this important technology.”

There it is straight from the horse's mouth.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

eyebeem posted:

this is extremely irresponsible and dangerous, but also why Samsung needs to do a full recall. people like this are putting countless others at risk in their homes and workplaces.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

LastInLine posted:

(I have no doubt that Oracle internally believes they are as evil as they are perceived, for example).
I worked at Oracle in the 'oughties. Everybody believed Ellison was evil, and everybody believed that the sales force was evil, but we viewed the company as providing essential database tools to America's businesses. Nobody wants to believe they work for an evil company; it's always somebody else that's evil.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I worked at Oracle in the 'oughties. Everybody believed Ellison was evil, and everybody believed that the sales force was evil, but we viewed the company as providing essential database tools to America's businesses. Nobody wants to believe they work for an evil company; it's always somebody else that's evil.

Huh. Okay, Goldman-Sachs then.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Huh. Okay, Goldman-Sachs then.
I will bet you a shiny new quarter that Goldman Sachs employees consider their company and what it does pivotal to keeping the world economy in motion.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I will bet you a shiny new quarter that Goldman Sachs employees consider their company and what it does pivotal to keeping the world economy in motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zRN7XLCRhc&t=2050s

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

eyebeem posted:

Jesus Christ, just go on eBay and buy a cheap phone for the month you'll be without your shiny new IED.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

We were talking about whether employees thought Oracle was evil, not about whether everybody else (rightly) thought Oracle was evil. (I also left before the Sun buyout, so I can't say whether internal people decided Oracle was evil then. I was working on a Java team, so I'm sure there were strong opinions.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hey, maybe this recall will wake Samsung up about how much of a PITA it is to deal with 4 carrier variants and decide to only do one unbranded model moving forward?

Yeah, I don't really think so either.