Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhaHhE8R8GY

At 1:16 all of the city state leaders are there. The Garlean emperor soon after

That's Gaius van Baelsar, legate of the XIVth Legion, not the Emperor. We don't see an Emperor in either game until Warhammer Dracula shows up in 2.4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

nuru posted:

Could you link a timestamp? I don't remember seeing Raubahn anywhere in it, just young Cid.

5:32, literally right after they show young Cid:

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

HiKaizer posted:

Coil's story was mostly non-existent until the start of T7. All T1-T5 serve to set up is to hint at the involvement of Louisoux, and that Bahamut is being regenerated by the Coils. It starts setting up a few plot hooks, but it's not until T7 and T9's big reveals that the Coil story really kicks off at all. Some of the fights and the set pieces have some neat minor lore implications if you're into Allagan culture and technology but beyond that it's still pretty quiet.

Alexander doesn't have much reveals or big moments in the Gordian wing because it's similarly setting up. But compared to the Coil story at the end of 2.0 it has more threads and characters set up. We have the Enigma Codex, what is it and where did it come from, how did the Illuminati acquire it? What is the relationship of the Au Ra lady to Alexander and the Codex, and why does she keep touching her scar thoughtfully? What is the history behind Alexander, considering it was attempted to be created once before and seemingly failed. Alexander is by all accounts a Primal, but so far has not exhibited any self-awareness or agency, does it have its own agenda going on and will we interact with it instead of the Illuminati at some point?

The Binding Coil has some fantastic set pieces and memorable moments, but it started off fairly roughly in terms of plot and characterization. But for me it did not really start hitting its high notes until Final Coil. The cutscenes around T10, T12 and T13 were very memorable and dramatic.
uhh zoning out of twintania room into the severed bahamut head mid air is probably one of the raddest things ever in this game, nothing has been even close to that yet. that whole thing was kept so hush-hush by the people who'd managed to clear it that once you got there yourself it was whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

alexander has given us "goblins thought of big robot from engima codex and whoops they summoned it and this au ra that keeps touching her scar cares a lot about it lets walk into these tiny corridor areas with nothing interesting in terms of scenery and extremely boring fights to go with it"

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Young cid is at 2:15 and 5:32 is well after the cataclysm. That's beside the point though, I was looking for a part I missed where they were saying he charges off into battle.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

HiKaizer posted:

Coil's story was mostly non-existent until the start of T7. All T1-T5 serve to set up is to hint at the involvement of Louisoux, and that Bahamut is being regenerated by the Coils. It starts setting up a few plot hooks, but it's not until T7 and T9's big reveals that the Coil story really kicks off at all. Some of the fights and the set pieces have some neat minor lore implications if you're into Allagan culture and technology but beyond that it's still pretty quiet.

Alexander doesn't have much reveals or big moments in the Gordian wing because it's similarly setting up. But compared to the Coil story at the end of 2.0 it has more threads and characters set up. We have the Enigma Codex, what is it and where did it come from, how did the Illuminati acquire it? What is the relationship of the Au Ra lady to Alexander and the Codex, and why does she keep touching her scar thoughtfully? What is the history behind Alexander, considering it was attempted to be created once before and seemingly failed. Alexander is by all accounts a Primal, but so far has not exhibited any self-awareness or agency, does it have its own agenda going on and will we interact with it instead of the Illuminati at some point?

The Binding Coil has some fantastic set pieces and memorable moments, but it started off fairly roughly in terms of plot and characterization. But for me it did not really start hitting its high notes until Final Coil. The cutscenes around T10, T12 and T13 were very memorable and dramatic.

The world was going to be destroyed by a terrible ancient dragon, but it was saved at the last second, and nobody knows how. Now you finally have a lead on solving that mystery. How is that story "non-existent"?

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
Coil 1-5 also having a bad story is the biggest revisionist lie people make up to justify how completely garbage and uninteresting the alex story is. The descent into ragnarok and seeing bahamut was an amazing plot bomb reward for downing twintania, as well as amazing visually. I cannot possibly take goblins seriously when it comes to lore, the comic relief feels like the sort of humor that was popular in newgrounds videos 15 years ago.

Void Ark has also only had one installment from no legacy lore to draw from and it is far more interesting than alex already.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhaHhE8R8GY

At 1:16 all of the city state leaders are there. The Garlean emperor soon after

That's not the Garlean emperor it's Gaius Van Baelsar, the leader of the imperial legion stationed in Eorzia at the time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

The world was going to be destroyed by a terrible ancient dragon, but it was saved at the last second, and nobody knows how. Now you finally have a lead on solving that mystery. How is that story "non-existent"?

Cid has known since the mid 30s but won't tell anyone.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

I'm ready for 3.2

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chyea posted:

I'm ready for 3.2

You mean you're ready for mega-draconian potions to be added?

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

So I think I'm about ready to hop back into this. Is there anywhere to get the heavensward download cheaper online or should I just go with the $28 dollar physical copy from amazon?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Check GMG, there should almost always be a coupon you can use on it.

If you don't mind feeling a bit dirty, you can sell the physical copy right back to Amazon after using the code for an effective discount. I'm told they don't care about used keys or anything, just the physical media.

A bit short-sighted if you ask me, but if you're okay with exploiting it, there's an avenue right there.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Chyea posted:

I'm ready for 3.2

The rest of your static won't be.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fishious posted:

Coil 1-5 also having a bad story is the biggest revisionist lie people make up to justify how completely garbage and uninteresting the alex story is. The descent into ragnarok and seeing bahamut was an amazing plot bomb reward for downing twintania, as well as amazing visually. I cannot possibly take goblins seriously when it comes to lore, the comic relief feels like the sort of humor that was popular in newgrounds videos 15 years ago.

Void Ark has also only had one installment from no legacy lore to draw from and it is far more interesting than alex already.

Not to mention zoning into Twin's area and realizing that you're fighting on Bahaman's petrified hand.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Coil also just looks better than Alex and has better music, though that's obviously a more subjective assessment.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

ilifinicus posted:

uhh zoning out of twintania room into the severed bahamut head mid air is probably one of the raddest things ever in this game, nothing has been even close to that yet. that whole thing was kept so hush-hush by the people who'd managed to clear it that once you got there yourself it was whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

alexander has given us "goblins thought of big robot from engima codex and whoops they summoned it and this au ra that keeps touching her scar cares a lot about it lets walk into these tiny corridor areas with nothing interesting in terms of scenery and extremely boring fights to go with it"

Coil was very definitely visually impressive from the start, in a way that Alexander isn't.

Fister Roboto posted:

You get a shot early on of elf grandpa early in turn 1 and then no dialogue until the start of turn 5. The command deck scene with Louisoix and Nael was very exciting, and raised some big questions, but those are the notable events for the entirety of the first Binding Coil.

Fishious posted:

Likewise Alexander having little story compared to Binding Coil 1 is a weird thing people who seem to dislike the theme and visuals of Alexander like to spread. There are cutscenes after every floor of Alexander with story related dialogue and they introduce and start developing two characters specifically for the story while giving us more insight into the Illuminati. The Binding Coil was visually impressive and had great set pieces, and I personally loved it as well.

But even taking in the 5-6 minute pre-rendered cutscene from the end of an era, Alexander as of the end of Gordian still has more cutscenes and dialogue than the First Binding Coil did.

It's fine if you don't like the theme and story, but, saying it has less story than the Binding Coil not accurate at all as long as you compare the first sections of both. Otherwise you're not comparing apples to apples so of course they'll be different.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

nuru posted:

Could you link a timestamp? I don't remember seeing Raubahn anywhere in it, just young Cid.

Here.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I can't help but feel that my cnj is poo poo at healing. I did the first dungeon of the msq and was scaled down from level 20 to 18. My cures were barely keeping up with the damage the tank was getting and only healing for like 140. What am I doing wrong

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Volume posted:

I can't help but feel that my cnj is poo poo at healing. I did the first dungeon of the msq and was scaled down from level 20 to 18. My cures were barely keeping up with the damage the tank was getting and only healing for like 140. What am I doing wrong

Is Cleric Stance on? Because that could be your issue. Also you get a passive at 20 that increase the potency of your heals.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Volume posted:

Is your weapon up to date? It's by far the most important piece of gear, even on healers.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

Is your weapon up to date? It's by far the most important piece of gear, even on healers.

This and Cleric Stance are the biggest potential causes. Also make sure your gear isn't broken.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014
So I'm having a very important discussion with my roommate:

Is the FFXIV monk artwork a Hyur or a Roe.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Samba De Amigo posted:

So I'm having a very important discussion with my roommate:

Looks like Hyur. Nose ain't right for Roegadame, and official art tends to pretend we don't exist.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Definitely a Hyur, the nose is definitely not Roe

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

Samba De Amigo posted:

Hyur, lorewise monks are from Ala Mhigo and Ala Mhigans are Hyur. Also that's a Hyur hairstyle.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Plus, there were multiple cool plot twists in coil. Alex would be a lot better if instead of being a lame gobbie robot it was actually a shell for DOOMTRAIN

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Plus, there were multiple cool plot twists in coil. Alex would be a lot better if instead of being a lame gobbie robot it was actually a shell for DOOMTRAIN

Doomtrain runs off gobbie cheese fumes. Also they'll finally bring back Hildibrand and have Godbert suplex doomtrain.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Doomtrain is a meme that was tired years ago.

Alexander's problem is that Hinterlands loving blows - there's very little in the way of plot development in it, and none of it actually ties into the raid at all. The only mention of it is post-final-credits, and the NPCs involved don't do anything until you try to unlock it.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Niton posted:

Alexander's problem is that Hinterlands loving blows - there's very little in the way of plot development in it, and none of it actually ties into the raid at all. The only mention of it is post-final-credits, and the NPCs involved don't do anything until you try to unlock it.

I like doomtrain regardless of meme status.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

HiKaizer posted:

Coil was very definitely visually impressive from the start, in a way that Alexander isn't.

You get a shot early on of elf grandpa early in turn 1 and then no dialogue until the start of turn 5. The command deck scene with Louisoix and Nael was very exciting, and raised some big questions, but those are the notable events for the entirety of the first Binding Coil.

Likewise Alexander having little story compared to Binding Coil 1 is a weird thing people who seem to dislike the theme and visuals of Alexander like to spread. There are cutscenes after every floor of Alexander with story related dialogue and they introduce and start developing two characters specifically for the story while giving us more insight into the Illuminati. The Binding Coil was visually impressive and had great set pieces, and I personally loved it as well.

But even taking in the 5-6 minute pre-rendered cutscene from the end of an era, Alexander as of the end of Gordian still has more cutscenes and dialogue than the First Binding Coil did.

It's fine if you don't like the theme and story, but, saying it has less story than the Binding Coil not accurate at all as long as you compare the first sections of both. Otherwise you're not comparing apples to apples so of course they'll be different.

Having more cutscenes and dialogue doesn't make it better. Especially if those cutscenes are boring and uninteresting. Saying that First Coil has less of a story because it doesn't have as many cutscenes is really dumb.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Niton posted:

:chloe:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Alex needs to be about how gobbies done goofed and every cutscene needs at least 3 gobbies. Instead we get a stupid dragon waifu that is boring and only a few scenes with cool gobbies.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Fister Roboto posted:

Having more cutscenes and dialogue doesn't make it better. Especially if those cutscenes are boring and uninteresting. Saying that First Coil has less of a story because it doesn't have as many cutscenes is really dumb.

If you and other people don't care for Alex or the theme or whatever other part of it you feel is inferior to Coil that's fine, just don't say it has less or no story because of that because it's inaccurate.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Coil sounds really cool and good, but I'm only level 40 right now. Do people still run that or do I have to wait until some future expansion when I can solo it?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

HiKaizer posted:

If you and other people don't care for Alex or the theme or whatever other part of it you feel is inferior to Coil that's fine, just don't say it has less or no story because of that because it's inaccurate.

Nobody's saying that though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

A Moose posted:

Coil sounds really cool and good, but I'm only level 40 right now. Do people still run that or do I have to wait until some future expansion when I can solo it?

You should be able to run it with one of the goon FCs on Excalibur. They get an in-game currency for beating it with new people, so it's not tremendously difficult to get guys interested in helping out.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Are the people who are arguing that Coil has no story also the people who cleared it after it was in DF? I don't know if you get the same experience if you're just straight queuing each one or not.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

nuru posted:

Are the people who are arguing that Coil has no story also the people who cleared it after it was in DF? I don't know if you get the same experience if you're just straight queuing each one or not.

I believe you actually get the outro special zones the very first time you clear through DF, but not for any subsequent times.

HiKaizer posted:

Alexander has poo poo for story. It has zero buildup before the unlock (in fact, it's not touched on during the main plot at all), and the plot distracts from what was supposed to be the awesome part (Goblins are too stupid to understand the danger they're putting themselves in) to write a story about some Au Ra who you've also never met or cared about at any point.

Niton fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 14, 2016

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

coil only had a good story because it was a constant reminder of how they had to create a lore reason for nuking a lovely version of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

This was in Pharos Hard.

• Locked thread