Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

NippleFloss posted:

I have a four node ESX cluster running on NUCs using VSAN with 1TB of SSD cache and 8TB of capacity drives. Another ESX node for management and backup using VEEAM. Meraki POE switch, AP and gateway.

The meraki stuff was free and the rest was paid for by the employer for home lab purposes, though it also runs plex.
Anyone using PCs larger than NUCs for home labs nowadays gets the side-eye from me. The Braswell N3700 ones are around $175 and use something like 10W of power, which is great if you want to try out dumb hardware clusters for something like Kubernetes. I've got a big stack of 'em on my desk, running completely silently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Jesus Christ guys, just go home and talk to your wives or something.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Vulture Culture posted:

Anyone using PCs larger than NUCs for home labs nowadays gets the side-eye from me. The Braswell N3700 ones are around $175 and use something like 10W of power, which is great if you want to try out dumb hardware clusters for something like Kubernetes. I've got a big stack of 'em on my desk, running completely silently.

The only issue I have with the NUCs is the single network interface isn't ideal for VMware deployments. But it's not a deal breaker.

Being able to run my lab in my living room without any appreciable noise or heat and a barely noticeable power draw is awesome.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

stubblyhead posted:

:stare:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

stubblyhead posted:

But I don- :eng99:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

stubblyhead posted:

Wives can wait, storage and networking can not.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Always been too lazy to deal with RAID at home, I feel the cost outweighs the good, although with affordable SSDs now, I'd likely be more inclined, but it's too much work.

I've got some gear at home, and my machine can double as an esxi/hyper-v host to do any small poo poo, I've got a few cisco switches and a router, but they aren't running all the time.

Other than that, I just hope my internet doesn't go down, because then the GF can't watch TV/Movies via the "hacked" amazon fire (aka kodi + addons installed on it), haven't had regular cable TV in over 3 months now, and I do not miss commercials at all! Although I did see some the other day while I was making sure my sports stream stuff would work with the regular season NHL coming up in a month.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Too bad the meraki eval hardware only ha a 3 year license

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

CrazyLittle posted:

I just got another one when I got my new job :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MF_James posted:

Always been too lazy to deal with RAID at home, I feel the cost outweighs the good, although with affordable SSDs now, I'd likely be more inclined, but it's too much work.
I have a RAID-1 on my OS SSD, but that's only because reinstalling the OS in case of a disk failure is :effort:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

CrazyLittle posted:

I figure by the time the license expires I'll want something else anyways, can't complain for free. It's been a solid gateway so far and a hell of a lot less power draw than pfsense on an old hp dc7800.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

stubblyhead posted:

She left when she learned the VMAX wasn't a refrigerator.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
What's the best software to log good looking graphs of Interface Traffic, Power Usage etc.? I'd like there to be graphs for every week/month. I'd also have to import the power usage from csv

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cacti is pretty decent

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Perfmon

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Those look pretty good, how easy is it to feed them 'csv' data?

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
What do you guys use for SSO/Identity Management, or at the very least, self-service PW resets?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SEKCobra posted:

Those look pretty good, how easy is it to feed them 'csv' data?

You can use this http://docs.cacti.net/manual:087:3a_advanced_topics.1_data_input_methods#data_input_methods with a script that processes your CSV file.

ZetsurinPower posted:

What do you guys use for SSO/Identity Management, or at the very least, self-service PW resets?

Am not yet, but will see if Azure meets our basic requirements, as we're already paying for Office 365. Sorry $every_sso_provider, your product isn't worth what you think it is, and bundling it with poo poo I don't need isn't increasing the value proposition.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Sorry $every_sso_provider, your product isn't worth what you think it is, and bundling it with poo poo I don't need isn't increasing the value proposition.

Seriously this. I am eagerly awaiting the day that companies realize that I want less crap to deal with, not more.

Sadly that day will probably never come.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

ZetsurinPower posted:

The issue here is those are 3 distinctly different things. There are solutions that handle all 3 of those, and each one individually. It's going to vary by your environment as well.

Azure AD Premium can handle some of it, other cloud based IDaaS providers like Okta and OneLogin can handle it. There are multiple on premise solutions ranging from basic low cost software to multimillion dollar suites of software.

ID Management is a beast unto itself and can be very complicated on its own.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 14, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sheep posted:

Seriously this. I am eagerly awaiting the day that companies realize that I want less crap to deal with, not more.

Sadly that day will probably never come.

It seems like every SaaS provider wants to bundle some form of MDM with the higher end product tiers, and they are always terrible.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

MF_James posted:

Other than that, I just hope my internet doesn't go down, because then the GF can't watch TV/Movies via the "hacked" amazon fire (aka kodi + addons installed on it), haven't had regular cable TV in over 3 months now, and I do not miss commercials at all! Although I did see some the other day while I was making sure my sports stream stuff would work with the regular season NHL coming up in a month.

My friend works for the cable provider, he gave me a email address so I can get all of the "cable subscription required" stuff for free on roku + free redzone. I love not having to pay $100 for a cable subscription

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

skipdogg posted:

The issue here is those are 3 distinctly different things. There are solutions that handle all 3 of those, and each one individually. It's going to vary by your environment as well.

Azure AD Premium can handle some of it, other cloud based IDaaS providers like Okta and OneLogin can handle it. There are multiple on premise solutions ranging from basic low cost software to multimillion dollar suites of software.

ID Management is a beast unto itself and can be very complicated on its own.

I guess I'm really only interested in on-prem SSO or if thats too expensive, just self service PW unlocks/resets, somewhat cheap since we only have like 200 users

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Comcast. Please.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sepist posted:

My friend works for the cable provider, he gave me a email address so I can get all of the "cable subscription required" stuff for free on roku + free redzone. I love not having to pay $100 for a cable subscription

This also works if any friends/families can make a sub account on their account for you. I created a sub account for a buddy of mine off my account and he can access all that stuff as well. I have the max package so he gets all the premium access as well. I call him a HBO GO HOE.

ZetsurinPower posted:

I guess I'm really only interested in on-prem SSO or if thats too expensive, just self service PW unlocks/resets, somewhat cheap since we only have like 200 users

ManageEngine AD Self Service Plus works well for simple on prem AD self service. I like it a lot and the price isn't crazy. There are some free/inexpensive front ends if you just want a simple AD password change portal.

The SSO bit depends on the environment. ADFS works for most Microsoft shops but ehhh....

One thing I haven't used but have heard decent things about is SSOeasy. Might be worth looking into, it supposedly doesn't cost much and is easy to setup.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

skipdogg posted:

ManageEngine AD Self Service Plus works well for simple on prem AD self service. I like it a lot and the price isn't crazy. There are some free/inexpensive front ends if you just want a simple AD password change portal.

The SSO bit depends on the environment. ADFS works for most Microsoft shops but ehhh....

One thing I haven't used but have heard decent things about is SSOeasy. Might be worth looking into, it supposedly doesn't cost much and is easy to setup.

Cool, we actually use AD Manager and AD Audit so I was looking at their product as a potential. Whats the pricing like?

edit: nvm I found it on their site

https://www.manageengine.com/products/self-service-password/pricing-details.html#pricing

ZetsurinPower fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 14, 2016

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

SEKCobra posted:

What's the best software to log good looking graphs of Interface Traffic, Power Usage etc.? I'd like there to be graphs for every week/month. I'd also have to import the power usage from csv

Cacti.

Get this: http://cactiez.cactiusers.org/

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
Well that's just cheating.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Convenient, but I think I'll put something on a PI since it's just for home use.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MF_James posted:

I've got some gear at home, and my machine can double as an esxi/hyper-v host to do any small poo poo, I've got a few cisco switches and a router, but they aren't running all the time.

I haven't had cable since 2010. I've never once missed it.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

vibur posted:

Well that's just cheating.

As someone who has installed/configured cacti dozens of times, yes, yes it is.

SEKCobra posted:

Convenient, but I think I'll put something on a PI since it's just for home use.

http://n00blab.com/cacti-pi/

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Actually, seems like importing a csv with an absolute time + data value is harder than you'd think with this.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

psydude posted:

I haven't had cable since 2010. I've never once missed it.

Yup no missing it at all. GF hemmed and hawed initially, but she's onboard now (she is the one that pays the cable bill :)), every TV show and Movie we want is accessible from a single interface, DVD quality version of movie that just came out in theaters? That's up immediately. TV show just aired? Can watch it tomorrow. I now have 10TB of storage that is worthless because I no longer have to torrent poo poo.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The one thing i like cable for is watching baseball, and even then they are making it hard to watch anything but the local team. Even with cable and sports bars i have only managed to catch one cubs game this season.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

RFC2324 posted:

The one thing i like cable for is watching baseball, and even then they are making it hard to watch anything but the local team. Even with cable and sports bars i have only managed to catch one cubs game this season.

Same and it's pissing me off. I have to upgrade my package to get WGN and I pay enough.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

should seriously look into getting a fire stick, they're $50 and takes like 2 hours tops to figure out how to install kodi and addons to get your freetvs.

The sports add-ons typically have multiple streams you can watch from the home/away teams of sports games. The add-ons also auto-update and I don't think you ever NEED to update kodi or at least everyone I know that uses it hasn't had to.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 15, 2016

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Scrolling through the thread too quickly I thought this:

SEKCobra posted:

I just got another one when I got my new job :v:

Was in response to this:

stubblyhead posted:

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

MF_James posted:

should seriously look into getting a fire stick, they're $50 and takes like 2 hours tops to figure out how to install kodi and addons to get your freetvs.

The sports add-ons typically have multiple streams you can watch from the home/away teams of sports games. The add-ons also auto-update and I don't think you ever NEED to update kodi or at least everyone I know that uses it hasn't had to.

And this works for hockey? How about football? I would LOVE to ditch this FiOS TV bill...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If that works for NHL (the best sport) I'm sold...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

IDK, sports aren't worth paying an extra $100/mo on top of what I pay for Hulu (without commercials) and 4k Netflix.

I don't consider Amazon Prime a streaming expense since I order enough poo poo from there each year to completely offset the membership costs with all of the free shipping I receive.