Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

A Man With A Plan posted:

FYI everyone Trump does actually have a florida office, not sure where that rumor got started. I remember an article saying that calls to their Florida office went unanswered during the convention, implying they had virtually no staff, but I'm pretty sure they've had an office for a while.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/florida

e: on a quick google I see references to the address and trump as far back as january

Yea I think "Office goes to voicemail" got confused with "Has no office".
At the very least Trump's campaign is desperately understaffed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

smg77 posted:

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/759916266144473089

Mike Pence really wants to be shadow president.

What a crock of poo poo. If he actually felt this way Trump should apologize and not send Pence to do it.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Michael "Bitch" Pence continues to apologize for Trump's mistakes while Trump goes on and does the same stuff.
It's really kinda sad.

I'm actually interested to see the VP debates, since Pence will have to actually defend Trump in person.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

smg77 posted:

Meh. I've seen worse. Like that Tammy Duckworth tweet and the follow-up non-apology

Or maybe ive dehumanized myself and face to violence because this loving election

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Utah.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Castomira posted:

Why does somebody on my Facebook news feed seem absolutely convinced Mitt Romney is going to endorse Gary Johnson? Is that a libertarian fever-dream, or something actual grown-ups have speculated has a nonzero chance of happening?

apparently Weld (and/or Johnson?) have been saying (on news) that they are "close" to an endorsement from Mitt?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

That's what I was thinking, but isn't Utah a deep, deep red state? I checked 538 and despite Silver trying his hand and failing at being a talking head a while back it's only clocked at a 7% chance of winning for Hillary. How exactly would Romney increase her chances enough to matter?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

smg77 posted:

"due to the disastrous decisions of Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, a once stable Middle East has now been overrun by ISIS"

lol neither of them were even old enough to vote the last time the Middle East was remotely stable

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ice Phisherman posted:

That's what I was thinking, but isn't Utah a deep, deep red state? I checked 538 and despite Silver trying his hand and failing at being a talking head a while back it's only clocked at a 7% chance of winning for Hillary. How exactly would Romney increase her chances enough to matter?

7% is pretty huge for the reddest state in 2012.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

FYI everyone Trump does actually have a florida office, not sure where that rumor got started. I remember an article saying that calls to their Florida office went unanswered during the convention, implying they had virtually no staff, but I'm pretty sure they've had an office for a while.

e: on a quick google I see references to the address and trump as far back as january

Positions - Donald J Trump posted:

PAY FOR THE WALL - It's an easy decision for Mexico. There are several ways to compel Mexico to pay for the wall.

quote:

Compelling Mexico to Pay for the Wall

Introduction: The provision of the Patriot Act, Section 326 - the "know your customer" provision, compelling financial institutions to demand identity documents before opening accounts or conducting financial transactions is a fundamental element of the outline below. That section authorized the executive branch to issue detailed regulations on the subject, found at 31 CFR 130.120-121. It's an easy decision for Mexico: make a one-time payment of $5-10 billion to ensure that $24 billion continues to flow into their country year after year. There are several ways to compel Mexico to pay for the wall including the following:

* On day 1 promulgate a "proposed rule" (regulation) amending 31 CFR 130.121 to redefine applicable financial institutions to include money transfer companies like Western Union, and redefine "account" to include wire transfers. Also include in the proposed rule a requirement that no alien may wire money outside of the United States unless the alien first provides a document establishing his lawful presence in the United States.

* On day 2 Mexico will immediately protest. They receive approximately $24 billion a year in remittances from Mexican nationals working in the United States. The majority of that amount comes from illegal aliens. It serves as de facto welfare for poor families in Mexico. There is no significant social safety net provided by the state in Mexico.

* On day 3 tell Mexico that if the Mexican government will contribute the funds needed to the United States to pay for the wall, the Trump Administration will not promulgate the final rule, and the regulation will not go into effect.

* Trade tariffs, or enforcement of existing trade rules: There is no doubt that Mexico is engaging in unfair subsidy behavior that has eliminated thousands of U.S. jobs, and which we are obligated to respond to; the impact of any tariffs on the price imports will be more than offset by the economic and income gains of increased production in the United States, in addition to revenue from any tariffs themselves. Mexico needs access to our markets much more than the reverse, so we have all the leverage and will win the negotiation. By definition, if you have a large trade deficit with a nation, it means they are selling far more to you than the reverse - thus they, not you, stand to lose from enforcing trade rules through tariffs (as has been done to save many U.S. industries in the past).

* Cancelling visas: Immigration is a privilege, not a right. Mexico is totally dependent on the United States as a release valve for its own poverty - our approvals of hundreds of thousands of visas to their nationals every year is one of our greatest leverage points. We also have leverage through business and tourist visas for important people in the Mexican economy. Keep in mind, the United States has already taken in 4X more migrants than any other country on planet earth, producing lower wages and higher unemployment for our own citizens and recent migrants.

* Visa fees: Even a small increase in visa fees would pay for the wall. This includes fees on border crossing cards, of which more than 1 million are issued a year. The border-crossing card is also one of the greatest sources of illegal immigration into the United States, via overstays. Mexico is also the single largest recipient of U.S. green cards, which confer a path to U.S. citizenship. Again, we have the leverage so Mexico will back down.

Conclusion: Mexico has taken advantage of us in another way as well: gangs, drug traffickers and cartels have freely exploited our open borders and committed vast numbers of crimes inside the United States. The United States has borne the extraordinary daily cost of this criminal activity, including the cost of trials and incarcerations. Not to mention the even greater human cost. We have the moral high ground here, and all the leverage. It is time we use it in order to Make America Great Again.

:allears:

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Ice Phisherman posted:

He wouldn't. He could maybe help Gary Johnson take it.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

SSNeoman posted:

Meh. I've seen worse. Like that Tammy Duckworth tweet and the follow-up non-apology

Holy poo poo I forgot about that one. That was loving unbelievable.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

It's funny how this would remove any of the good bits of our relationship with Mexico (vital workforce, tourism, govt goodwill/cooperation) and not at all affect the bad parts (cartels et. all). Also like hell can the virtually collapsing Mexican government throw 5 billion at a boondoggle project.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

Ice Phisherman posted:

From what I understand, Mormons hate Trump with a burning passion. Romney might be able to push some of them Hillary's direction with his condemnation of Trump, but in the end I think it's going to come down to the same reason a lot of the people are going to vote for Hillary -- the Supreme Court.

As horrific as a Trump presidency would be for liberal progression in the SCOTUS, it's the equal for conservative and religious regression if Hillary becomes president. I imagine the Mormons were apoplectic when the whole gay marriage thing went through, and further positive steps in that direction with other social issues would do the same. So they hold their nose and vote for Trump because otherwise their lovely way of life will get more and more marginalized.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Bunleigh posted:

He wouldn't. He could maybe help Gary Johnson take it.

If Republican voters split between Johnson and Trump, that could give Hillary the chance to win with something like only 35 percent of the vote.

Still an outside chance, but not an impossible one.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Pakled posted:

"due to the disastrous decisions of Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, a once stable Middle East has now been overrun by ISIS"

lol neither of them were even old enough to vote the last time the Middle East was remotely stable

There is also the fact that Khan was killed in 2004.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Dont you get it? If they dont pay us 5 billion they will literally be dying in the streets by the hundreds! Its genious!

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
I'm pretty skeptical about the idea that a wall along the entire border will only cost 10 billion.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
10 billion Trumpmarks after he defaults on the debt.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Robo Captain posted:

I'm pretty skeptical about the idea that a wall along the entire border will only cost 10 billion.

I mean, I'm legitimately shocked they didn't unironically put forward the idea that guy on Freep had a few years back to just dump a few million tires on the border and create a pest and waste infested toxic dump no one could cross and which would spread death and disease like nobody's business.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

If Trump's Florida set up is like his Illinois one, then the number is based out of New York and the message tells you to email the campaign.

To volunteer: volunteer@donaldjtrump.com

To give advice to Donald: info@donaldjtrump.com

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, I'm legitimately shocked they didn't unironically put forward the idea that guy on Freep had a few years back to just dump a few million tires on the border and create a pest and waste infested toxic dump no one could cross and which would spread death and disease like nobody's business.

You're forgetting the key part of that plan - the tire-filled trench was to be 10 yards wide and on fire, likely in response to somebody asking why they couldn't just walk over the tires

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Robo Captain posted:

Well the cost to build a highway is somewhere around 5 million/mile, and the border is about 2000 miles long. So if we assume The Wall and a highway are the same, it is you who is wrong for doubting our brilliant leader :smug:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

If Trump's Florida campaign HQ is set up like his Illinois one, then the number is based out of New York and the message tells you to email the campaign.

To volunteer: volunteer@donaldjtrump.com

To give advice to Donald: info@donaldjtrump.com

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Man, I'd love to read those. The Freep thread is too sane and evenhanded for me.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump had a Florida office for the primaries and then closed it along with a bunch of others in other states. There is basically no continuity.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Epic High Five posted:

You're forgetting the key part of that plan - the tire-filled trench was to be 10 yards wide and on fire, likely in response to somebody asking why they couldn't just walk over the tires

I thought they solved the problem of people trying to cross by making it also ten tires tall and literally allowing it to fill with rainwater, pests, snakes, and disease ridden mosquitoes.

It was such a bizarrely well-thought out plan, if not also actually reprehensible and preposterously bad for the environment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

smg77 posted:

So am I incorrect or didn't Humayun Khan die in 2004?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ImpAtom posted:

So am I incorrect or didn't Humayun Khan die in 2004?

He did. Hm. It seems we can't recall who was President then. Funny. Must've been Obama. Maybe Bill.

Why were we in Iraq again? God I just can't seem to recall.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Yes, Trump had an office for the primary. Notice that the link you gave goes to a page still touting the primary election date with the voting hours.

After the primary the office was abandoned and in June when someone went to the door to see if anyone was there, all that was there was a note on the door promising they'd be back after the convention.

Trump is a loving idiot who closed his only office in Florida because he doesn't have enough staff in the whole country to hold a convention without closing offices. He has one loving office in Florida, and it's in Sarasota of all the loving places. If you're only going to have one office in the Florida as a Republican, you're probably going to want it in one of the very few largish cities in the nation that's Republican dominated, Jacksonville. Especially since that city is pretty much what keeps Republicans in statewide power due to being the only place with enough votes to counter South Florida.

acejackson42 posted:

From what I understand, Mormons hate Trump with a burning passion. Romney might be able to push some of them Hillary's direction with his condemnation of Trump, but in the end I think it's going to come down to the same reason a lot of the people are going to vote for Hillary -- the Supreme Court.

As horrific as a Trump presidency would be for liberal progression in the SCOTUS, it's the equal for conservative and religious regression if Hillary becomes president. I imagine the Mormons were apoplectic when the whole gay marriage thing went through, and further positive steps in that direction with other social issues would do the same. So they hold their nose and vote for Trump because otherwise their lovely way of life will get more and more marginalized.

I'm actually interested to see how Tim Kaine plays in Utah. He's got that geegolly niceness down pat.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

It's the medias fault guys.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Gyges posted:

Yes, Trump had an office for the primary. Notice that the link you gave goes to a page still touting the primary election date with the voting hours.

After the primary the office was abandoned and in June when someone went to the door to see if anyone was there, all that was there was a note on the door promising they'd be back after the convention.

Trump is a loving idiot who closed his only office in Florida because he doesn't have enough staff in the whole country to hold a convention without closing offices. He has one loving office in Florida, and it's in Sarasota of all the loving places. If you're only going to have one office in the Florida as a Republican, you're probably going to want it in one of the very few largish cities in the nation that's Republican dominated, Jacksonville. Especially since that city is pretty much what keeps Republicans in statewide power due to being the only place with enough votes to counter South Florida.

I'm actually interested to see how Tim Kaine plays in Utah. He's got that geegolly niceness down pat.

Has anyone checked back post-convention? I'm honestly curious. Lol regarding location choice though.

Dirt posted:

The failing NY Times. Pretty much the only paper that isn't actually failing, apart from the WSJ.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
There's a big window display near King Street in Jacksonville with a bunch of Trump signs and merch. I always assumed it was a campaign office but it could just as easily be an insane local businessman. I'll have to take some pictures.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Dirt posted:

Look I got three billion dollars of free advertising. The media is so crooked and cheap. Sad!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trumps repetitive gimmicks on Twitter are just getting so tired.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trumps repetitive gimmicks on Twitter are just getting so tired.
Yea he's run out of stuff. It's sad!

Blame media
Lie about _____
Say something reprehensible
repeat

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The problem is they keep repeating it and people believe it despite like 0 examples, to the point where the media acts scared to ask any questions and just accepts obvious lies.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

"Hi I am a member of the party of personal responsibility, now let me tell you how the media is responsible for our every setback."

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Lightning Knight posted:

He did. Hm. It seems we can't recall who was President then. Funny. Must've been Obama. Maybe Bill.

Why were we in Iraq again? God I just can't seem to recall.

The important thing is Hillary Clinton voted for the war, Bush who exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Reminder that your average American is either a moron or just doesn't have the time or motivation to pay attention so the gimmick isn't tired and sad(!) for them before they don't obsessively pay attention to the orange fascist.

In other words, the Something Awful forums experience is Not Representative (tm).

quote:

The important thing is Hillary Clinton voted for the war, Bush who exactly?

I'm totally willing to hold Hillary's hawkishness on foreign policy and total lack of even token "maybe Israel isn't perfect, yo" against her, but at least she owned that vote and said it was wrong after the fact, even when there are mitigating factors in context that could let you forgive her for it (i.e. she was straight lied to by her President).

• Locked thread