Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Im sure it will be fine. Like all the games that took batman combat were fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not all the games that took Souls combat have been fine.

Also Mad Max had Arkham combat and ehhhhh......

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Norns posted:

Im sure it will be fine. Like all the games that took batman combat were fine.

lords of the fallen tho

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Fine does not mean good

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sakurazuka posted:

Not all the games that took Souls combat have been fine.

I think that was the joke.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Joke?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If you asked me rank all the games that use Batman: Arkham combat, I'd actually put mad max above 2 of the actual arkham games, just saying. (In case it wasnt obvious, Origins and Knight. Mad Max wasnt wonderful, but it was better than either of those).

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Knight has better hand to hand combat. Max has better car combat. Both aren't great.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I was super excited to go back and play the Asylum remaster but Jesus Christ the controls feel like absolute rear end these days.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jape.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I do like the Arkham combat style but I feel like games like these suffer from feature bloat where you end up with two dozen different moves yet one clearly overpowered, why wouldn't you always use this move.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

exquisite tea posted:

I do like the Arkham combat style but I feel like games like these suffer from feature bloat where you end up with two dozen different moves yet one clearly overpowered, why wouldn't you always use this move.

Yeah. Then they try to balance it with a guy you have to beat a certain way so you cant just use it. But then your trying to remember to lock-on the block and hold away tapping it 3 times to counter a drat knife.

Maybe that's why games that steal the style feel so good. They don't have the 4 games of feature creep to deal with.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The game Stories: Path of Destinies was pretty good with that - they had a bevy of different attacks that were useful, but not required, against certain enemies. But there weren't so many attacks that it became confusing, nor did you need to remember a ton of combinations. Too bad the entire game was built around a lot of repetition (and some unskippable sequences, which became unbearable the 20th time around)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Something about batman style combat where you wale on a dude a whole bunch with low damage attacks to get a big combo number and have a magical counter button popup when enemies attack from behind just doesn't work for me. Seems like the enemies always behave differently in groups than they do individually so that you don't get ganked by eight guys at once, but it feels very silly for all but three of them at a time to kinda hang back and watch their friends get their weapons (and skulls) dismantled by batman. I'm probably missing out on some really good games because of it, but I look at stuff like shadow of mordor's combat and it just doesn't look appealing at all compared to how it works in demon's souls-like games

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So is there a way to know HDR is working? Bypassing my PSVR (lol what a joke) I think I got all the setting rights. I read somewhere though that even if you get the "HDR content playing" or whatever pop up it still doesn't mean it's on

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Digirat posted:

Something about batman style combat where you wale on a dude a whole bunch with low damage attacks to get a big combo number and have a magical counter button popup when enemies attack from behind just doesn't work for me.

I've always hated it. The Mark of Kri did a similar thing with its combat years before that Arkham cribbed from, but I felt it was a lot more strategic in MoK since you had to assign positions to enemies in real-time and then combo off them in different directions while blocking random fucks...but it never played like a rhythm game at all, it was more like looking for an opening and then wedging into it rather than Arkham's flurry-in-all-directions sort of weightlessness.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I recognize that Batman style combat is well done, and I've even grudgingly accepted in games I play, but it's never been my thing. I like games to feel as manual as possible if that makes any sense. Even games like God of War and DMC always felt too loosey goosey to me. I had honestly stopped caring about most melee combat in games in favor of shooters until Demon's Souls cam around and changed my mind.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I'm not that fond of the batman style combat either. I've had a hard time getting into games that use similar systems. dunno why I don't like it

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

an actual dog posted:

I think yall are underselling the B ending run of Nier, it changes way more than just the gameplay and stuff that is repeated is put in a very different context.

Yea, they save the super mind blowing stuff for C D E but B is cool, it's a ramp up of the weirdness after A. You're not wasting time playing it.

Route B got me real interested in the game, C & D solidified my love for it, but what really got me was the implication at the end of E Knowing that other people gave up their save game data to help other people, and then all the questions trying to keep you from doing the same.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I wasn't sure how a story about robosaurs and tribal people would pique my interest but here we are 🤔

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I didn't give a poo poo about their tribal politics but I found the story about how the old world ended way more interesting than the usual ones like that.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

John F Bennett posted:

But is it also a good game?

It's a great game. Very few puzzles hold your hand, it has a very steady progression of new tools, actions to perform. There are a lot of hiccups, but it's like...sometimes I want to say the AI in this game is so loving bad, but at the same time it's doing so much more than any game I've ever seen before that it only seems bad when it's bad because it's so good when it's good.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Norns posted:

Knight has better hand to hand combat. Max has better car combat. Both aren't great.

If you don't think Mad Max's car combat is great then I don't know what car combat you would consider great

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did Doom ever find a MP following? noticed they just did a really big free update. I figured it was a ghost town by now.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
No Man's Sky for 10€. Yes/no/hell no?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I would say a definite yes, that's a very good price for it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I bought it for around that price a bit ago and it's fun to mess with sometimes. So much of it feels hollow though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I paid 13ish € and was a nice price for a game you can play a few hours, leave it for days and pick up again.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

If you found Batman combat too easy you could always up the difficulty and it removed the counter prompts. It still feels like the best group combat style I've played: God Of War and DMC style always feel like bad guys don't care you're hitting them, and while Souls combat is good, it wouldn't be fun for fights against 12 guys at once.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh GoW has that problem certainly but DMC has generous hitstun which is why playing aggressively works so well in those games. At least 4, been a while since I played the others.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My partner have really enjoyed spending "movie time" with stuff like Until Dawn and Tales From the Borderlands - anyone able to suggest non-Telltale stuff? Walking Dead seasons 1 and 2 are on the cards already, and he didn't really click with Life is Strange, but I'd like a couple other things for the future.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oxenfree is kind of similar and good but it's 2D pixel art if that matters.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Not too fussed about art style, as long as the story's engaging and can be done in one/two hour chunks at a time. Selectable dialogue and the like is a fun bonus but not required!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oxenfree is cool then.
Also I know it's a David Cage game but Heavy Rain is the least bad thing he's done so you could try that next time it's on sale.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Quick H:ZD question.

I'm doing a tutorial side quest that asks me to use my precision now and kill 3 Watchers with precision arrows to their eyes. I select the bow and precision arrows and shoot the watchers in their eye but the number isn't going up 🤔🤔
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong??

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
You need the tutorial quest to be your active quest.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Do you have the tutorial quest specifically activated as your main, and tracked? It's a bit fiddly.

Sakurazuka posted:

Oxenfree is cool then.
Also I know it's a David Cage game but Heavy Rain is the least bad thing he's done so you could try that next time it's on sale.

Cheers, will look at Oxenfree first.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Quick H:ZD question.

I'm doing a tutorial side quest that asks me to use my precision now and kill 3 Watchers with precision arrows to their eyes. I select the bow and precision arrows and shoot the watchers in their eye but the number isn't going up 🤔🤔
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong??

Redeye Watchers dont die in one shot.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

My partner have really enjoyed spending "movie time" with stuff like Until Dawn and Tales From the Borderlands - anyone able to suggest non-Telltale stuff? Walking Dead seasons 1 and 2 are on the cards already, and he didn't really click with Life is Strange, but I'd like a couple other things for the future.

The Last of Us? It's 90 percent people spouting exposition at you and finding ladders/planks, and the rest is combat sections that are far enough apart that it's mostly story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You have to have the quest selected as your main or active quest, yes I know it's insanely dumb.