Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
A shitload of peoples first guitars in the 50s and 60s were made by Harmony, either branded that way or as Silvertone, Airline, or a billion other store brands. The real company died in 1975, but by 1978 it was back in use on imports and has been in almost continuous use by different entities since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I feel Samick is like the brassica of guitar manufacturing.

My first bass was a red Samick (actual Samick) YARBPJ, which I kinda wish I still had.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Awesome rig man! Love that telecaster!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
New gear day!

Airline Map Tenor from Eastwood. I wish it was sunnier out because the red really sparkles. Such a goofy looking thing with that skinny neck but I really dig it. Sounds great too. Only complaint so far is it has 2 volume knobs and a tone knob, but if you're in the middle position and put either of the volumes to 0 it goes silent, which seems weird to me. Might get those changed to one volume and two tones. But yeah. The body shape is definitely different but it grew on me.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

Awesome rig man! Love that telecaster!
Thanks! That drat Tele is trying to take over. Thirsty bitch.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Mozi posted:

New gear day!

Airline Map Tenor from Eastwood. I wish it was sunnier out because the red really sparkles. Such a goofy looking thing with that skinny neck but I really dig it. Sounds great too. Only complaint so far is it has 2 volume knobs and a tone knob, but if you're in the middle position and put either of the volumes to 0 it goes silent, which seems weird to me. Might get those changed to one volume and two tones. But yeah. The body shape is definitely different but it grew on me.

Gorgeous! I love my Warren Ellis tenor. Eastwood makes fun instruments.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mozi posted:

New gear day!

I don’t know anything about guitars but this is definitely one of the prettier ones I’ve seen.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Mozi posted:

New gear day!

Really digging that selector switch plate.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gregday posted:

Really digging that selector switch plate.

Like the whole guitar, it's very "1950s America sedan."

e: in a good way, obviously.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Eastwood's whole thing is resurrecting the wild and wacky shapes smaller guitar makers of the 50s and 60s made right? I briefly considered one a long time ago but I don't think there were left handed models in the shapes I liked.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Yep, they have a quite a variety of some pretty wild stuff as well as some more normal things. Here's a nice left hander for you...

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Been contemplating a Sidejack DLX for a long time.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
New junk day

$10 Amazon basics compressor from the Warehouse

A third Hondo H7600 because it was dirt cheap and I can use the parts to fix the two others. Why was it dirt cheap?

It got El Kabong'd a little and broke the body around the heel. Neck is fine, electronics are fine(but missing the pickup springs), and it came with this bag that costs twice what I paid but has a few additions

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Man that is one unique looking Les Paul! The neck breaks don't usually happen there. Must be the new CEO making changes.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

Man that is one unique looking Les Paul! The neck breaks don't usually happen there. Must be the new CEO making changes.

Nah, it's an SG, those break there all the time.

My beater '75 Standard

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
MORE CRAP!!!!!

Clefly Ocean Verb, sold under a billion other brand names. Was an Amazon flash deal with a stackable coupon, so cheap. Room reverb good, spring reverb eh, Shimmer pointless and not useable so far.

Hondo Fame 7634, 3/4 scale Strat copy from the mid-late 80s.

With "Stinger" headstock.

Came with a Wayco of Rockford, IL white nylon&leather strap that really needs a cleaning and a cheap but looks brand new Fender gig bag. Needs usual cleaning, strings, and setup. Switch and pots definitely need contact cleaner. Absolutely surprising is that as it sits it plays and sounds really nice.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
One week later, EVEN MORE CRAP!!!!!

Glen Burton offset Jazzmaster P90 thing in a much less red color than the pics would seem to show. From Amazon Warehouse, it is FILTHY, but considering it was sold as having major cosmetic flaws I didn't expect that I could "fix" them with Windex. I've had two others of this model(black, sonic blue) and this one is just as lovely. The necks are TERRIBLE, electronics are always wonky(switch is real crappy), and they're somehow really heavy feeling AND neck heavy at the same time. So why buy? It was cheap and I doubled my money on the last two. I won't on this one, but I should make a few bucks. OR I throw on a better neck and swap the P90s for something else, like maybe Firebird pickups.

Next!

Dat neck "joint", these are supposedly neck through

From one of the pawn shops I frequent. Jackson Soloist SLXTPDQBBQWTF or something like that. Made in India, which apparently is an okay thing? All I can say is wow, and that's without a setup or new strings. This is a seriously nice guitar, and amazing for what I paid.

Now, what would you say if I said the Glen Burton was more expensive than the Jackson? Yeah, the Jackson was under $95, tax included, over $10 less than the Glen Burton. Same pawnshop where I bought a Jackson Kelly with hard case for ~$85, when just the hard case sells for more on Reverb. Need to be thankful no one on staff can check Reverb.

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009
Squier offset Telecaster in Surf Green:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

finally added an op-1 to the table of stuff that I don't mess with as much as I should. Our four year old is fascinated by the op1 and I feel like I'll still be messing around twiddling knobs some day and she'll have recorded an album.

edit: I let her whale hard on the axiom; explaining that the op is not, despite all appearances, a candy colored child's toy, has taken some work.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cabbages and Kings posted:

finally added an op-1 to the table of stuff that I don't mess with as much as I should. Our four year old is fascinated by the op1 and I feel like I'll still be messing around twiddling knobs some day and she'll have recorded an album.

edit: I let her whale hard on the axiom; explaining that the op is not, despite all appearances, a candy colored child's toy, has taken some work.

I'd be drooling on it myself so I understand.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Let the 4 year old make a track

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Thumposaurus posted:

Let the 4 year old make a track

Then post it here.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
It's Monday, so MORE CRAP!!!

Mako Strat copy, made by Samick with the factory EVH-inspired paintjob that was hand striped. Lots of fuzzy edges

Break in the pickguard and there's an ugly spot on the neck, but everything works and it's not too beat up.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Only posting this picture to speak it into existence, but I’m gonna save for a few paychecks and buy the new SP404.

I’ve been using the MPC for about two years now and I just want to switch it up. Everyone seems to be praising the new 404 and I’ve had my eye on one of the older models for a while.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

All I can see is a scientific calculator.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I know you're all thrilled to hear this.

But my Mesa Mk V has shipped and is on its way to me.

Now 'scuse me, I'm gonna go learn how to play Blackened properly.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

H13 posted:

I'm excited for you.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

H13 posted:

I am excited for you!

I am also excited for me. In July I bought a Fractal FM3 and it changed everything. I was suddenly hearing my guitars make sounds I had been dreaming about since I was 14 (in 1985). Immediately after that this FM9 comes out, lots more power and six more controller buttons. I weigh the cost of the FM9 and decided to just go whole loving FX3 + FC6 controller hog on the MKII. I flip the FM3 on Reverb. and the FX3 arrives. I'm just getting my IRs loaded into it and making some terrible presets. Then they introduced new tech that uses the extra RAM in the MK II (yay I have that!) but it also eats up CPU (ok, that's cool.) Immediately after that they introduced a new model called the MKII Turbo (what?!) The main DSPs are clocked 25% faster than the ones I had just bought. Apparently this kind of exreemely low-key product release is a normal thing for this market. But the new tech is compelling to me, and since it eats CPU, the smart money is to RMA the brand new MKII and patiently wait for it to be returned to inventory, get store credit, order the newest fastest thing.

And it's finally done. My MKII Turbo is on the way to me for this weekend and I am freaking giddy. The tones I was getting out of the AxeFX, right before I was forced to box it up and send it back (or risk selling it to upgrade later), those sounds are sick. My old "boring as hell cookie-cutter floral JEM" with the DiMarzio FRED in it was, I thought, too milquetoast to sound nasty. Welp. Introduce it to a MESA Mark IIC+ and scoop the Mark EQ like you see in pictures. Put some big Recto cab IRs with some Boogie 2X12 IRs, and blend in some of these new room mics... it turns into this thick and disgusting thing that sounds like a punch in the gut. It just sounds loud in the best way. This is mixed for headphones and may not sound great unless ya crank it. I just love that I can hear the personality of this old classic guitar (and that's a humbucker-from-hell in the neck parts) through this punchy MESA tone. That's why I end up playing like that, I'm just responding to how fast the attack is on this amp, so I am just blasting out these thick chords with fairly crunchy gain.

I have played guitar once since I sent the AF3 back. I have a lot of practicing and tweaking to do. I'll share if it's ok.

https://soundcloud.com/dr-faustus777/mesa-meet-jem-jem-mesa/s-YbI6VnMUhJO?si=fd3bb67869384a1da358144ab17ed5e7#t=0:32

Just listen to this stupid clip of my JEM meeting this digital model of a IIC+.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 15, 2021

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

ColdPie posted:

All I can see is a scientific calculator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvIRsDHFiis

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

HAAAPPPY BIRRRTHHDDAAAYYY TOOOOOO MEEEEE!

It arrived early.

TRIP REPORT:

This is one of the most lovable AND hate-able amps on the planet. So far, it the only amp that I've played where it is easily possible to make an absolutely hideous guitar tone. This is an amp that gives a poo poo about everything. Where you have the Master Volume on each channel is a big deal. The guitar you are playing is a big deal. The pedals you are playing are a big deal. The temperature of the room probably matters somehow. Everything has an impact on everything else.

HOWEVER:

When you get it dialed in for the guitar, the pickups, the pedals and the position of the moon, there are some absolutely glorious noises to be had with this amp. I find it's going to be significantly more useful as a studio tool than a gigging tool. Trying to switch between channels and modes and guitars and whatever is going to require you to fiddle with it all the drat time UNLESS you're the sort of person who can leave it on one channel for the whole night. I know why Petrucci runs multiple heads of these live.

When you get it right, you are in a very nice guitar heaven, full of gainy, liquidy goodness, but with a tightness that you don't expect from the liquidy smooth feel. However, I 100% understand every single person who ever bought this amp and claimed that it was impossible to get a good sound out of it. I'm very thankful to my years playing an Axe-FX that I got used to dialing in excessively complicated stuff, otherwise this would easily do my head in.

Here's a few quick samples (57 on a Mesa Cab, no processing) of what I can get out of it so far. It's gonna take a LOT more than a day to figure out how to dial in this bastard, but these are some fun noises anyway:

https://soundcloud.com/blackhandaus/gimme-test/s-LhhbASSZlIP?si=2eaca897cdc94156a5bc1356eab9e8e4
Pissed off Fender sound

https://soundcloud.com/blackhandaus/europa-test/s-30eSzCrCSE8?si=2eaca897cdc94156a5bc1356eab9e8e4
A half-remembered attempt at Europa

https://soundcloud.com/blackhandaus/sandman-test/s-TjZ7lNqJalA?si=2eaca897cdc94156a5bc1356eab9e8e4
Bite me. I had to.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

OP-1 is gonna lead to repurchasing things I already own functionally in a smaller form factor, I think. I already have three decent condenser mics, but I want to be able to take this thing into the woods or whatever to gently caress around with and I want the whole setup plus a USB power brick and my 0coast and a speaker to fit into a padded suitcase I already have.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 19, 2021

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit

H13 posted:

HAAAPPPY BIRRRTHHDDAAAYYY TOOOOOO MEEEEE!

It arrived early.

TRIP REPORT:

This is one of the most lovable AND hate-able amps on the planet. So far, it the only amp that I've played where it is easily possible to make an absolutely hideous guitar tone. This is an amp that gives a poo poo about everything. Where you have the Master Volume on each channel is a big deal. The guitar you are playing is a big deal. The pedals you are playing are a big deal. The temperature of the room probably matters somehow. Everything has an impact on everything else.

HOWEVER:

When you get it dialed in for the guitar, the pickups, the pedals and the position of the moon, there are some absolutely glorious noises to be had with this amp. I find it's going to be significantly more useful as a studio tool than a gigging tool. Trying to switch between channels and modes and guitars and whatever is going to require you to fiddle with it all the drat time UNLESS you're the sort of person who can leave it on one channel for the whole night. I know why Petrucci runs multiple heads of these live.

When you get it right, you are in a very nice guitar heaven, full of gainy, liquidy goodness, but with a tightness that you don't expect from the liquidy smooth feel. However, I 100% understand every single person who ever bought this amp and claimed that it was impossible to get a good sound out of it. I'm very thankful to my years playing an Axe-FX that I got used to dialing in excessively complicated stuff, otherwise this would easily do my head in.

Here's a few quick samples (57 on a Mesa Cab, no processing) of what I can get out of it so far. It's gonna take a LOT more than a day to figure out how to dial in this bastard, but these are some fun noises anyway:

https://soundcloud.com/blackhandaus/gimme-test/s-LhhbASSZlIP?si=2eaca897cdc94156a5bc1356eab9e8e4
Pissed off Fender sound

https://soundcloud.com/blackhandaus/europa-test/s-30eSzCrCSE8?si=2eaca897cdc94156a5bc1356eab9e8e4
A half-remembered attempt at Europa

https://soundcloud.com/blackhandaus/sandman-test/s-TjZ7lNqJalA?si=2eaca897cdc94156a5bc1356eab9e8e4
Bite me. I had to.

Win

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I got the mic for my music setup than I never put enough time into wall mounted, after getting inspired by having gotten my Yeti off my desk with an extension arm.

I only have one throat and yet this room has three condenser mics and a tascam portable recorder in it, curious. :allears:

edit: god drat is that Axiom filthy and that's after cleaning it. I think I wanna ditch that and get a 49 or 61 key, any suggestions besides the obvious?

If Korg had a 61-key vocoder synth I'd be very likely to just get that; as is, torn between going cheap with whatever velocity sensitive 61 key I can get for $100, vs spending like three times that on a Nektar LX88+.

The main impetus is I've decided 40 loving years old is finally time to be practicing piano chords.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 24, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I ain’t proud of more GAS but at least it was cheap

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I love those Sony cans. So dorky looking but they sound really good.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

They are such a good bang for the buck too. They're not bargain basement budget, but they're also really well priced for what they deliver (IMO)

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Line 6 Flextone II XL. It was cheap. Worked out to be $2.50 a pound. Added casters to this mother. Got it to amplify my Pod Go since the speakers have a flat EQ, and its got good headroom. But some of the amp models sound surprisingly good, considering its ancient by modeling tech standards. But almost every youtube video of the amp, they do an amazing job making the amp sound as lovely as possible. I might try to post a decent sounding demo.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Martytoof posted:

I ain’t proud of more GAS but at least it was cheap

Saying you're buying an old Oxygen is like saying you're buying a wrench. Just handy.

In other news, it looks like I'm getting another XP-10. I loved the arp so much on the one I dumpstered I decided to buy one. :downsrims:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

petit choux posted:

Saying you're buying an old Oxygen is like saying you're buying a wrench. Just handy.

In other news, it looks like I'm getting another XP-10. I loved the arp so much on the one I dumpstered I decided to buy one. :downsrims:

The Oxygen wasn’t the newest gear I was hoping to show off in that pic, but I agree — the thing is the perfect handy gadget :cool: