Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd gladly take it for $free.99 but then I can't decide if I'd either jump right on the LS swap it so desperately needs, or try to make a Youtube empire out of seeing how much boost the 2.8 will take before it launches chunks into low earth orbit.

These are not mutually exclusive options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

There’s a 2020 Mercedes wagon “executive demo” with 7k miles on it close to me. Original sticker was 79k. What would a good price for it be? They want 69k.

Scratch that, it’s being sold as new, so full warranty.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
$10k off doesn't seem like that good of a deal to me. I'd pitch $60k at them and see what they say.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I'd just pay 69k so you can say you got a nice price.

Whatever you do, clarify that the warranty starts at 7k, so you get the warranty until 57k, not 50k.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

$10k off doesn't seem like that good of a deal to me. I'd pitch $60k at them and see what they say.

nm posted:

I'd just pay 69k so you can say you got a nice price.

Whatever you do, clarify that the warranty starts at 7k, so you get the warranty until 57k, not 50k.

Thanks guys. Good point about the warranty. 60k + TTL is what I'll shoot for, although that's 20k off a "new" car with 6k miles. That seems ambitious, but maybe? My wife came to me and said she might be leaning towards the 4Runner, so :shrug:.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Residency Evil posted:

There’s a 2020 Mercedes wagon “executive demo” with 7k miles on it close to me. Original sticker was 79k. What would a good price for it be? They want 69k.

I know you aren’t leasing but poke around the marketplace or deals boards on Leasehackr. Location dependent but usually they target 16-18% or more off MSRP on demos. Usually BMWs but I think Mercedes is around the same.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TheWevel posted:

I know you aren’t leasing but poke around the marketplace or deals boards on Leasehackr. Location dependent but usually they target 16-18% or more off MSRP on demos. Usually BMWs but I think Mercedes is around the same.

Just drove it today. Holy crap, what a fantastic and incredible car. Surprisingly, my wife loved it. :v: They didn't laugh at 60k, but they did spend 20 minutes having us sit/wait before saying no.

I'm currently negotiating with some dealer in Ohio. This may be happening.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 18, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Just drove it today. Holy crap, what a fantastic and incredible car. Surprisingly, my wife loved it. :v: They didn't laugh at 60k, but they did spend 20 minutes having us sit/wait before saying no.

I'm currently negotiating with some dealer in Ohio. This may be happening.

Yeah it happened. :toot:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I originally wrote that I would take the car for free if I had a strong hankering to do an LS swap but decided it wasn't even worth it.

It needs a LS swap and a full suspension refresh at minimum.

Thoroughly built thirdgens are extremely my poo poo but are probably an excessively poor financial decision.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Thoroughly built thirdgens are extremely my poo poo but are probably an excessively poor financial decision.

you can make them in to good cars, but someone who says "i like the way this looks should i buy it lol" is not gonna do that

also by the time you make them in to a good car you could have... just bought a good car in the first place. they are fuckin cool though.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Looking for a car mostly for daily commute, grocery/shopping trips etc. preferably a mid-size car or crossover. Thing is that my partner gets a monthly car allowance through work, but it has to be a union made car. The list of union made North American cars is mostly trucks, SUVs and luxury cars that we are not interested in. https://uaw.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Vehicle-Guide-Spread-FINAL-1.pdf

Most Asian and European car factories seem to be unionized and so would make the cut. But it has to be a model made at a union plant. Honda, Toyota, and Nissan make most of their cars for the North American market in North America at non-union plants. In general it seems that most automakers base brands are made in North America at non-union plants. But some of the smaller non-American makers like Hyundai, Kia, Subaru etc have some cars that they make in South Korea or Japan and sell into the North American market. So the list we have so far is:

Hyundai Ioniq
Hyundai Elantra GT
Hyundai Kona
Kia Niro
Subaru Crosstrek
Chevy Sonic

The work monthly payment will eventually pay off any car we get, but if we get a cheaper car we can start pocketing the money sooner. What are the opinions on these options, and are there any other models that are built outside of North America and sold into the market we should look at? We don't have access to charging, so no EV. But we are interested in the Ioniq hybrid. Probably our number 1 option right now.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Duck Rodgers posted:

Looking for a car mostly for daily commute, grocery/shopping trips etc. preferably a mid-size car or crossover. Thing is that my partner gets a monthly car allowance through work, but it has to be a union made car. The list of union made North American cars is mostly trucks, SUVs and luxury cars that we are not interested in. https://uaw.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Vehicle-Guide-Spread-FINAL-1.pdf

Most Asian and European car factories seem to be unionized and so would make the cut. But it has to be a model made at a union plant. Honda, Toyota, and Nissan make most of their cars for the North American market in North America at non-union plants. In general it seems that most automakers base brands are made in North America at non-union plants. But some of the smaller non-American makers like Hyundai, Kia, Subaru etc have some cars that they make in South Korea or Japan and sell into the North American market. So the list we have so far is:

Hyundai Ioniq
Hyundai Elantra GT
Hyundai Kona
Kia Niro
Subaru Crosstrek
Chevy Sonic

The work monthly payment will eventually pay off any car we get, but if we get a cheaper car we can start pocketing the money sooner. What are the opinions on these options, and are there any other models that are built outside of North America and sold into the market we should look at? We don't have access to charging, so no EV. But we are interested in the Ioniq hybrid. Probably our number 1 option right now.

Is this a common requirement? I've heard of requiring a UAW made car, but a car made in *any* unionized plant *anywhere* in the world? That seems kind of weird and would essentially only be excluding cars made in the south of the US.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Is there a particular reason you aren't considering the Ford Escape? All Mazdas are also imported, some from Mexico and some from Japan. I know the CX-5 is produced in Japan. I would buy that over any of the cars on your list.

edit: if it's truly "you can do a global union" then of course most things made in Mexico are eligible too. Usually Union requirements are domestic, and of domestically produced union product I would probably buy either the Escape or Equinox.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
The job is working for a union, hence the union made requirement. From what I understand, Mexican made cars are hit and miss as some of the unions are essentially management run. So would depend on the union in Mexico.

I will add the Ford Escape and look into Mazda. The Mazda 3 would definitely add to the list, assuming the union in Mexico is considered okay.

Generally we are leaning towards a car. We added crossovers because the list was already narrowed with the union requirement. So what would be the best car on the list?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Duck Rodgers posted:

The job is working for a union, hence the union made requirement. From what I understand, Mexican made cars are hit and miss as some of the unions are essentially management run. So would depend on the union in Mexico.

I will add the Ford Escape and look into Mazda. The Mazda 3 would definitely add to the list, assuming the union in Mexico is considered okay.

Generally we are leaning towards a car. We added crossovers because the list was already narrowed with the union requirement. So what would be the best car on the list?

Be a class traitor and get the car you want. :getin:

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
They say there's power in union, but there is also money. And they are offering us lots of money to buy union.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Duck Rodgers posted:

If I had to Buy American, and a pickup truck or a sports car did not fit into my life, I would buy a new Ford Escape Hybrid.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I would buy a truck. It's what American OEMs do best.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Godzilla07 posted:

If I had to Buy American, and a pickup truck or a sports car did not fit into my life, I would buy a new Ford Escape Hybrid.

We don't have to buy American, we have to buy union. We would prefer to get a car.

What are people's thoughts on the Ioniq, Elantra GT and Mazda 3? The Subaru WRX is also made in Japan for sale in North America, but I don't see us driving that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

well the ioniq is a hybrid so you should decide up front if that's what you want. compared to its sibling the Elantra GT it is cheaper inside, heavier, less useful, and less pleasant to drive in return for better fuel economy at a higher price (about three grand more, give or take)

the Mazda3 will be more expensive but nicer than the Elantra GT in every way.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Isn't the Corolla hatch built in Japan or some other non-US country? It looks pretty good.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Duck Rodgers posted:

We don't have to buy American, we have to buy union. We would prefer to get a car.

What are people's thoughts on the Ioniq, Elantra GT and Mazda 3? The Subaru WRX is also made in Japan for sale in North America, but I don't see us driving that.

Anything with a VIN starting with J would be Japanese made. If any Japan manufactured Toyota would qualify then the Prius would work as well, since IIRC they're all made in Aichi. I think the newest C-HR for NA is made in Japan as well, older ones were made in Turkey.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

PirateDentist posted:

Anything with a VIN starting with J would be Japanese made. If any Japan manufactured Toyota would qualify then the Prius would work as well, since IIRC they're all made in Aichi. I think the newest C-HR for NA is made in Japan as well, older ones were made in Turkey.

It seems like Toyota in particular has really bad labour practices, and the Japanese unions may be more management HR than labour proponents (like some of the Mexican unions). Toyota (and maybe other Japanese automakers) may be a hard sell.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Comedy option would be a Swedish-manufactured Volvo, the Torslanda plant is definitely union.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

luminalflux posted:

Comedy option would be a Swedish-manufactured Volvo, the Torslanda plant is definitely union.

Chinese manufacturerd Volvos too. Pretty much anything made in EUrope or the UK too, so MINI, FIAT, Land Rover etc.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Duck Rodgers posted:

As there are significant professional and personal incentives for your partner to buy Union Made, a UAW or UNIFOR-built vehicle is the path of least resistance. Ford, FCA, and GM don't do small cars in the U.S. anymore, so your next best choice is a compact SUV like the Ford Escape built by UAW Local 862. A new Escape Hybrid delivers 41 MPG combined, and is riding on Ford's newest global car platform that the global Focus is also based on. While I haven't driven a new Escape yet, the last-gen Escape drove nicely and did not drive like a truck if that's what you wanna avoid. You also get the cargo versatility of a hatchback which is something you'd like based on your ideas so far.

VW Puebla looks to be union so you could buy a Golf?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

Chinese manufacturerd Volvos too. Pretty much anything made in EUrope or the UK too, so MINI, FIAT, Land Rover etc.

we are trying to suggest cars that someone might want to buy

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Sorta testing the waters here. I have a Volt that's serving my needs perfectly so I am probably not actually buying anything. But given these three choices, which would you hypothetically buy? Assume commute is not a concern (less than 20mi round) and the only long distance will be road tripping ~100-150mi away with plenty of charging options.

2020 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus (250mi range) for $39k
2019 Tesla Model 3 Mid Range RWD (264mi range)(12k mi) for $38k
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD (325mi range)(14k mi) for $39k

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

we are trying to suggest cars that someone might want to buy

lol

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Sorta testing the waters here. I have a Volt that's serving my needs perfectly so I am probably not actually buying anything. But given these three choices, which would you hypothetically buy? Assume commute is not a concern (less than 20mi round) and the only long distance will be road tripping ~100-150mi away with plenty of charging options.

Those are all cars alright. What's your question? Considering your short list of needs, you can do well with either one of those.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 20, 2020

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Nitrox posted:

Those are all cars alright. What's your question? Considering your short list of needs, you can do well with either one of those.

I guess I'm just curious out of those three which one people would buy

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I wouldn't buy any of that shoddily made overpriced poo poo.

That's not a car buying decision, it's a lifestyle signaling device.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I guess I'm just curious out of those three which one people would buy

I'd probably do this

quote:

I have a Volt that's serving my needs perfectly so I am probably not actually buying anything.

If you have a working car that's doing what you need it to do, replacing it is a bad idea.

"It isn't making me look flashy enough" might be something that falls under "not doing what you need it to do," but at least be honest with yourself about that.

Motronic posted:

Unlike every other luxury car?

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 20, 2020

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Seems like a good question for a tesla forum

the poor build quality on the early model 3s vs the extended battery range but you’re looking at 70s gm quality control you’re rolling the dice either way

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Space Gopher posted:

Unlike every other luxury car?

Not "every" but generally, yes. These things are not even in the same class of fit, finish and quality of comparably priced "luxury cars". The have objectively poor build quality and subjectively bad interiors/comfort compared to the res of their market segment(s).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

wait until someone makes an actual good ev

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Motronic posted:

Not "every" but generally, yes. These things are not even in the same class of fit, finish and quality of comparably priced "luxury cars". The have objectively poor build quality and subjectively bad interiors/comfort compared to the res of their market segment(s).

You're not wrong, but you're missing the point.

A 3-series or C-class might have better fit and finish than a Tesla, but all three are "lifestyle signaling devices."

Depending on where you live, and what kind of work and social spaces you exist in, that signaling might be the single biggest concern in buying a car (or, for that matter, choosing to not have a car).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Space Gopher posted:

You're not wrong, but you're missing the point.
Traditionally the reccommendations in the thread skew towards the fiscally responsible. Which is why people say "you have a perfectly fine car, so the issue is you *want* something new not *need* something new"

So if someone says "I have a Volt but I'm in line for a new Exec gig and..." or "we have a Chevy but it's a rough drive for our 2 hour commute so we were thinking Lexus or Audi" then the calculus is different.

Saying "I have a good hybrid but I'm looking at a more expensive car with known quality issues and interior comfort at the level I'm currently at" maaaaaaaybe requires the person asking to check if they really want an upgrade or just the badge.

E:: this is *especially* true given the supply clusterfucks that happen when repairs are needed on the things.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 20, 2020

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Posting on the behalf of my brother's girlfriend here. Goons gave a fantastic recommendation with my wife's car so he figured he'd ask here.

Proposed Budget: $11K
New or Used: Used
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door?) 4 door Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?): any size under an suv.
How will you be using the car?: as a normal car. work isnt a super long commute. occastional long trips for vacation.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: No? just bluetooth and backup camera at least.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)
cost of ownership/maintenance, gas mileage?

They're been looking at used Kia Souls but are wondering what else to look at. I've steered them away from damaged Corollas and rental cars. Dunno about corporate fleet cars though. They're based in Chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I wouldn't buy any of that shoddily made overpriced poo poo.

Correct. Do not buy a Tesla, Endymion. It's a foolish purchase for overfunded dumbshits.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

wait until someone makes an actual good ev