Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pretty good aggro deck
Dec 31, 2007

Extinct!

I too foam at the mouth with anger when adults make purchases with their own money that in no way affect me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
Repairs to my touchpad cost $85. The Genius Bar agreed to give me a discount if I posted publicly to the Internet that I am a disgusting slob who was reading YOSPOS with his fingers covered in potato chip grease.

Just kidding. I assume that was the culprit, though, as I've owned this for 3 years and this week was the first time I practiced eating while clicking, and also the first time it had any kind of hardware problem.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

That's not a bad price, the part itself is like $50-60 on eBay back when I looked for it, so you wouldn't have even saved much doing it yourself.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Now that I saw the three in person, I think I'd probably try to sample all of the colors in some way.

I've got a space gray iPhone and a silver iPad. It's not a huge leap to imagine a future scenario where I end up with a gold Mac to complete the trifecta or something along those lines (although by that point the color breakdown might be different and I might be getting a space gray Mac to complement a gold phone or whatever).

I'm interested to see if the colors ever make it to the MBP or desktops. I'd say both are probably unlikely, with the latter being unlikelier.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 6, 2015

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

For reasons, I made a cake that resembles a 2013 Mac Pro to scale.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 6, 2015

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Imagine how good that cake will be next year though

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Pivo posted:

That's not a bad price, the part itself is like $50-60 on eBay back when I looked for it, so you wouldn't have even saved much doing it yourself.

I just replaced the trackpad on a 2011 11" MBA, and our cost on just the trackpad from Apple was $71. We charged the customer $244 total, so yeah, Apple gave him a good deal.

Usually, replacement trackpads only cost us around $45. Not sure why that model was so much more.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Imagine how good that cake will be next year though

More like in 2018 or whatever when apple actually gets around to putting out a new Mac Pro.

The retina iMac is now the Pro Mac for 95% of certifiable Pros.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

empty baggie posted:

I just replaced the trackpad on a 2011 11" MBA, and our cost on just the trackpad from Apple was $71. We charged the customer $244 total, so yeah, Apple gave him a good deal.

Usually, replacement trackpads only cost us around $45. Not sure why that model was so much more.

That's a terrible price for replacement, was anything other work done besides that? The highest price Apple has charged in the past four years for a trackpad without needing a whole new top case is $90 USD including labor.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

1997 posted:

That's a terrible price for replacement, was anything other work done besides that? The highest price Apple has charged in the past four years for a trackpad without needing a whole new top case is $90 USD including labor.

I agree, but I don't set the rates. We used to charge much less, and a trackpad replacement was only around $100 total for parts and labor. Then we got bought out by another company and all the prices went up. Now the cheapest is at least $175, but for some reason Apple is charging almost double for the trackpad for that particular model, and with our new labor rates, it ends up coming out to that higher amount.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I just setup my own fusion drive with recovery partition but it was cumbersome to create the recovery partition as I did a full OS X install just to get the recovery partition created and populated. From there I created the core storage logical volume which blows away the main OS X install. Is there a better way starting from nothing?

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

1st AD posted:

I had a C2D MacBook Pro for years (maxed RAM and SSD) and it is dogshit compared to anything available today.

I just gave up on my 2010 13 mbp for a 2014 13 rmbp refurbished model with 256 ssd for 1300 cad. It's so much nicer to stream videos in higher than 480 without stuttering.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Got my replacement SSD today. Putting the drive into my Macbook Pro took only two minutes. I liked that all I had to do was put the SD card into my Mac, boot it up and the computer automatically saw something worth installing (because the hard drive was empty) and got to installing OSX Yosemite. All I had to do was click Agree to sign my life away to Tim Cook via the EULA. :homebrew:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can install OSX from an Sd card ? Swayte.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You can install OSX from an Sd card ? Swayte.
You can boot OS X from an SD card too, if you really wanted to.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I may have spoken too soon, the SSD might be dead on arrival. :smith:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Is the Apple Thunderbolt Display the only option for a nice single cable display + hub?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

The Milkman posted:

Is the Apple Thunderbolt Display the only option for a nice single cable display + hub?

What do you mean by 'single cable' ?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Shaocaholica posted:

What do you mean by 'single cable' ?

As in, all the data runs over the thunderbolt cable, instead of running separate display + usb cables

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Milkman posted:

As in, all the data runs over the thunderbolt cable, instead of running separate display + usb cables

I'm not sure I follow what you mean. The thunderbolt display is the same as any other monitor isn't it? Except this one has some extra ports on it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I'm not sure I follow what you mean. The thunderbolt display is the same as any other monitor isn't it? Except this one has some extra ports on it.

Hes asking if its the only monitor that lets you plug a single cable into your machine (via thunderbolt) to use the external display plus all the poo poo connected to it (gigE, USB, etc). sort of like a docking station.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Laserface posted:

Hes asking if its the only monitor that lets you plug a single cable into your machine (via thunderbolt) to use the external display plus all the poo poo connected to it (gigE, USB, etc). sort of like a docking station.

I'm sorry, that literally didn't register with me at first, his post was clear i'm just a dumb.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Milkman posted:

I'm assuming that you mean 'single cable, full-stop' and not 'single cable from the computer to everything else,' because you can get a decent Thunderbolt hub that'll connect to displays and all of your other peripherals and could also be defined as a 'single cable' solution.

If a hub is not what you mean, then yes.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
There, one cable display.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

Shaocaholica posted:

There, one cable display.

I still have one of these monstrosities somewhere...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
ADC was always fun when you plugged it into an ADC video card and get sparks at the connector.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

admiraldennis posted:

I still have one of these monstrosities somewhere...

Yeah, that's Apple's old ADC to DVI converter.. don't forget Dr. Bott's old DVIator, which allowed ADC monitors to be hooked up to standard DVI ports..

And the AC adapter was just a refurbished G4 Cube power supply.. I actually know two places where clients are STILL using these.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
They still need to update the 27" TBolt monitor with at least USB 3.0/3.1 or maybe with 4k/5k display.

The current model is almost 4 years old.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
Does anyone know how the Angelbird SSDs are able to use native TRIM in OS X and whether Apple may break their ability to do so in future updates?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

DaNzA posted:

They still need to update the 27" TBolt monitor with at least USB 3.0/3.1 or maybe with 4k/5k display.

About the only thing they've done to it is add a MagSafe to MagSafe 2 convertor in the box, which they didn't have before.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 8, 2015

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Hah that's a great 'upgrade'.

They are probably waiting for thunderbolt 3 that's going to come with skylake and can do 4k/5k along with some bandwidth leftover for USB 3.x.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is TB a thing now on PCs? Intel platforms natively have it now? Just add traces and ports?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It's been available for a while and lots of x99 motherboards have Thunderbolt support with add-in cards. Some z97 and z87 boards also had it built in.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

1st AD posted:

It's been available for a while and lots of x99 motherboards have Thunderbolt support with add-in cards. Some z97 and z87 boards also had it built in.

Isn't just basically a raw PCIe bus with the signaling logic controlled by a chipset in the cables?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I had discovered an annoying thing on my iMac. It has the dual audio jack with mic/headphones like the iOS devices and laptops have these days. The apple drivers would do this dumb thing where shut off the internal speakers every time something is plugged into it no matter what it may be. I know it is a driver issue because when I boot into windows it works as I like.

For a while I was using a zoom h4n via usb as a mic and plugging headphones into that or the back port. When I got the Antlion ModMic the zoom apparently didn't have the right input levels. Ended up picking up this usb sound card on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAUD-Adapter-C-Media-Chipset/dp/B001MSS6CS
So that basically solved both problems. I can leave my headphones/mic plugged in 24/7 and switch inputs at while in software, and the input levels work. It said $8 but somehow the amazon checkout ended up being $4 when I bought it, but even at $8 its a good buy and simple solution. Cheaper than going out and buying one of those thunderbolt docks that does a bunch of things I don't need just to get some extra sound and USB ports.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

DaNzA posted:

This is why I was asking, I like the idea of plopping the mbp down and being able to dock with my display + backup drives + keyboard + etc with 1 cable, but the display itself isn't great anymore for that price point.

Though it looks like thunderbolt stuff never came down in price, just looked up some hubs are there were only that original Belkin and an elgato for $200+

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The Belkin dock is now Thunderbolt 2, the originals were being dumped for like $100 a year ago.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The Milkman posted:

This is why I was asking, I like the idea of plopping the mbp down and being able to dock with my display + backup drives + keyboard + etc with 1 cable, but the display itself isn't great anymore for that price point.

Though it looks like thunderbolt stuff never came down in price, just looked up some hubs are there were only that original Belkin and an elgato for $200+

The TB display is still USB 2.0 so you probably wouldn't want it for that regardless of display quality.

The monitor you're looking for is this LG monstrosity: http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-34UC97

it is my dream monitor oh god someone buy it for me.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

That is Real Nice, I wonder if an Early 2013 15" rMBP could drive it just fine without any BS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The TB display is still USB 2.0 so you probably wouldn't want it for that regardless of display quality.

The monitor you're looking for is this LG monstrosity: http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-34UC97

it is my dream monitor oh god someone buy it for me.

I don't have a curved, but I can confirm a 21:9 monitor is awesome.