Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

There doesn't exist a device on any OS that doesn't have a long list of failures.

while this is true, there are usually benefits to accompany them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone having issues with 5x and connecting to wifi with nougut?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Massasoit posted:

Mine works fine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tunga posted:

How would this stop the phone exploding?

I actually wonder if Samsung could brick the device with an OTA to the point that it wouldn't even charge, even if they wanted to.

It wouldn't, but the only way to do that would be to do what you suggested. It would stop people from using their phones though while avoiding liability fire denying emergency calling. I wouldn't be too shocked if disabling the charging circuits can be fine via firmware update.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blue Train posted:

while this is true, there are usually benefits to accompany them

I guess the benefit is that you get to claim you're not one of those sheeple Nexus buyers

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Endless Mike posted:

They could theoretically send an update that disables everything but emergency calling.

If you did this you know a bunch of cheap skates and idiots would just toss it in the glove box as an "emergency phone".

Which would be quite ironic actually.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I'm back on the Samsung train thanks to a promotion I just chronicled in the Canadian thread. It was sort of predetermined anyway seeing I had the S, S3 and S5. Boy I cant wait for that S9! Anyway, is there any way to make the Samsung keyboard...good? Should I just immediately switch to the google keyboard? I'm missing the voice input key mainly, cant seem to find any way to put it there.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

codo27 posted:

So I'm back on the Samsung train thanks to a promotion I just chronicled in the Canadian thread. It was sort of predetermined anyway seeing I had the S, S3 and S5. Boy I cant wait for that S9! Anyway, is there any way to make the Samsung keyboard...good? Should I just immediately switch to the google keyboard? I'm missing the voice input key mainly, cant seem to find any way to put it there.

Just use Google Keyboard. The stock one is terrible and there's no fixing it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Massasoit posted:

Doubt this is your issue from the way you phrased it but this happened to me:

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

So twice since the Nougat update my Project Fi 5X has done this thing where it stops seeing any wifi and starts killing my battery -- I'm guessing by constantly searching for networks. First time I was out of the house, somewhere I expected to have wifi but just assumed it was down, and didn't figure it out until I got home and didn't connect there. Rebooted and all was well but it happened again a few days later. Never did this before Nougat. Not sure where to look for or file a bug. Anybody else?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

That might be the issue. I don't know exactly because it's my roommates phone and she isn't very exact in describing the issue

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I've been using Swype for years, and I highly recommend it. Among other things, you can set the for-pay version so it picks up stories that are currently hot on social media and adds the words to the dictionary. This means that "Kaepernick", to give one example, is currently recognized without my having to do anything.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Massasoit posted:

Yes. Mine seems to drop WiFi really quickly if the signal isn't perfect. Example: I'm typing this in my mother's dining room about as far from the router as I can get. My laptop is connected to Wifi, showing 3 out of 4 bars, and is experiencing no issues. If I would try to watch a YouTube video on my phone in the same spot, showing 2 or 3 out of 4 bars, it would drop the connection every few seconds, switch to cellular data, then regain the connection a few seconds later (which is how I accidentally racked up 1 GB of cellular data usage a few days ago!). It (mostly) works okay when I get much closer to the router.

I used to never have any problems before on Marshmallow.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Uthor posted:

Yes. Mine seems to drop WiFi really quickly if the signal isn't perfect.

Man I wish my phone would do this instead of desperately hanging onto Wi-Fi networks a mile away.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Stupid question, but did that "Avoid bad Wi-Fi connections" setting get reset when you updated to N?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

LethalGeek posted:

Samsung is bad since they decided LED indicators were somehow a terrible thing to have available.i don't care how much better the screens are about power now it's a lot less battery to blink a couple LED transistors still. I'm still boggled

That's one of things I liked about the Galaxies over my G3. The notification light is big and bright. I often had a hard time seeing it was active on my G3

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mogomra posted:

Stupid question, but did that "Avoid bad Wi-Fi connections" setting get reset when you updated to N?

I see something similar to that in the developer options. Looks like it's turned off.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

skooma512 posted:

That's one of things I liked about the Galaxies over my G3. The notification light is big and bright. I often had a hard time seeing it was active on my G3

All the phones people in this thread and most of the United States would use still have the led. That dudes list of linked Samsung phones without leds are the cheap international variants, I have never heard of any of them so it was a super weird critique of the brand

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I haven't experienced the wifi bug yet in nougat but I have found that the auto-brightness sometimes doesn't work. I'm assuming its a bug and that their big new Doze strategy wasn't just keeping my screen on minimal brightness when I'm trying to use it.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Uthor posted:

I see something similar to that in the developer options. Looks like it's turned off.

The option I'm talking about is usually in the advanced options under WiFi settings, but that could have changed since Android L.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Blue Train posted:

*calls phone pretty great, posts long list of failures*

e: oh its a 400$ phone lol

Like I said, the ZTE Axon 7 has better or on par build quality and specs compared to the HTC 10 and is smaller and easier to use than the Nexus 6p. The speakers are the best I've heard on a phone and the screen and battery life are great. This is a good phone at $400 and the HTC 10 doesn't add more value at $700.

Many of the "features" ZTE added in suck but can be ignored and it's close to stock Android otherwise. The camera kind of sucks and updates aren't guaranteed but the reason I'm returning it is it's not compatible with Verizon.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Jigoku posted:

Many of the "features" ZTE added in suck but can be ignored and it's close to stock Android otherwise. The camera kind of sucks and updates aren't guaranteed but the reason I'm returning it is it's not compatible with Verizon.

Well, gosh it sounds like a well thought out purchase: a kinda cheap (not really), kinda sucky (this is true) phone which will never get updates on that you can't actually use on your carrier.

A good phone!

I know the whole apologist mindset is popular with tech consumers but this is amazing.

Any thoughts on your 'next' phone?!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Instead of spending $200 on a good phone, I spent $400 on a bad phone!"

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Should have spent 60$ on an okay phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ozmiander posted:

Should have spent 60$ on an okay phone.

A Blu phone is a bad phone, but at $60 that's excusable.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
The axon 7 is a great phone. Hope that clears it up for you

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Endless Mike posted:

A Blu phone is a bad phone, but at $60 that's excusable.

Correct. The Moto E is a bad phone too, but at the price point, it's great.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Blitter posted:

Any thoughts on your 'next' phone?!

I'm loving around and trying out whatever is available right now until the new big Nexus comes out. I'm that tired of my Droid Turbo. It's laggy, the battery life has degraded, and the camera is awful.

I'm also just super curious with all these other phone manufacturers popping up. Really want to try the Robin and the OnePlus, but not going to be able to.

The only reason I tried the Axon 7 out is because I heard it was unofficially compatible with Verizon, and as stated above, I ended up liking it better than the HTC 10 and the 6p. Just reporting here in case anyone else was curious.

The next one is a 5x, which comes tomorrow.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 12, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

T-mobile demonstrates why it's a great carrier (with lousy coverage, sob!) https://explore.t-mobile.com/samsung-galaxy-note7-recall#2

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I worked at Oracle in the 'oughties. Everybody believed Ellison was evil, and everybody believed that the sales force was evil, but we viewed the company as providing essential database tools to America's businesses. Nobody wants to believe they work for an evil company; it's always somebody else that's evil.

But the sales staff are evil in every company where regulatory and legal compliance are taken seriously.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Massasoit posted:

My girlfriend's 5X has an issue where it disconnects and reconnects every 10 minutes or so, unless restarted, after which it's fine for a while before progressively getting worse until needing another restart. We think it might have something to do with sleep or switching between 2.4 and 5 ghz bands but those are wild guesses.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My nearly 70 year old mother said to me yesterday that I shouldn't buy a Samsung phone because they explode and burn peoples homes to the ground. She said it was on the news... if this won't hurt Samsung's image, then nothing will, since Note 7 never even got here in the first place.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I take it she's a Nexus fan girl?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

My 5x died Sunday evening, rebooted out the blue, then a brief bootloop, then dead. No life, charging did nothing, an ex phone

rip

These things happen, and it's been perfect for 11 months so I'm not fussed.
Phoned Google Monday morning and a new one was cross shipped within an hour arriving today

That's why you always buy from the Google store

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

My 5x died Sunday evening, rebooted out the blue, then a brief bootloop, then dead

rip

Bootloop you say? That usually happens on month 13, right after the warranty expires.

LG.txt

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm actually using my 3 year old 5 for the day, it's working well

Just don't ask how the battery is lasting

New one should be here by 11!

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I'm about to get on a plane and they've just done a special announcement that Note 7s should not be taken aboard. That is my story, thank you for listening

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I've been an Android Pay naysayer, but I used it tonight to see if it had gotten any better and I was pleasantly surprised. There was a slight hesitation on the card reader, but other than that it went smoothly. Likely faster than the chip.

Question: I heard it used tokenization, which I thought meant a new number every time. Mine seems to be assigned a static number. Is the virtual card number supposed to change?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

RZA Encryption posted:

Question: I heard it used tokenization, which I thought meant a new number every time. Mine seems to be assigned a static number. Is the virtual card number supposed to change?

My Android Pay app shows me the last 4 digits of a virtual account number issued by my bank, which doesn't seem to change that I've noticed.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Skarsnik posted:

I'm actually using my 3 year old 5 for the day, it's working well

Just don't ask how the battery is lasting

New one should be here by 11!

Yeah, my 5 has been a real pleasure to use for the last 3 years, but within the last two months, the battery life has really gone downhill. I now have to carry a portable recharge battery if I'm out all day, otherwise it's empty in the early afternoon. And that's with a couple of hours of music streaming over 4G, and 15-30 minutes of screen time, browsing news and reading mail/sms.

I really hope when they launch the new Nexus Pixels, they also make them available in Europe right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The original 5 is actually a fairly easy battery change with a spudger and a bit of patience (loads of online guides)

Its finding a battery that isnt fake and will kill you thats the challenge