Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The comical loser robot is literally the first POV character in the saga.

e: I just realized that although I meant that the beginning of ANH is told from the droids' perspective, 3PO also gets the first actual POV shot in TPM. It's almost like these things have some sort of meaning.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soral
May 30, 2009

jivjov posted:

Finn at least has some degree of attraction toward Rey. Listen to the jealousy in his voice when he asks if she has a "cute boyfriend" back on Jakku.

yeah he's jealous about the cute boyfriend but thats not because he's attracted to rey, pal.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Serf posted:

What movie did this dude watch? Finn obviously has a crush on Rey, Kylo Ren has a real creepy vibe towards her in the interrogation scene, and who could forget Chewie hitting on the space medic?
Creepy rape vibes, something I relate to. Great addition to the Star Wars universe.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

temple posted:

Creepy rape vibes, something I relate to. Great addition to the Star Wars universe.

It's not a new thing:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Equeen posted:

It's not a new thing:

That doesn't evoke the same image as Ren sexually threatening a woman in a torture chair with mind powers but you can have it.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

temple posted:

That doesn't evoke the same image as Ren sexually threatening a woman in a torture chair with mind powers but you can have it.

I'm not denying the nasty implications of the interrogation scene, but I find it a bit more troubling that the only major female OT character was captured as a literal sex slave.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Let's check in with how the RLM fanbase is reacting

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I imagine Kylo's mind-grasp is just like when Avon Barksdale has mind-battles with Anderson in the new Dredd movie.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Corek posted:

They're just mad that the only main white character they can cling to is BB-8.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Corek posted:

:perfect:

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Equeen posted:

little
white

CUCK BALL

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm not surprised that the review doesn't focus on TFA that much and instead derails towards Abrams, Listicles, Ring Theory, and fandom. Anyone who's even halfheartedly checked in on RLM material could tell you that Mike loved TFA, and with only 1/3rd of the NT available it was always going to have less focused than the reviews of the fully finished PT.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Corek posted:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Equeen posted:

I'm not denying the nasty implications of the interrogation scene, but I find it a bit more troubling that the only major female OT character was captured as a literal sex slave.
Idk, Leia was always a sexy princess in comparison to Rey's asexuality. Even in ANH she lounged around in her cell like a typical damsel in distress

Rey is asexual and most of the characters are outside of Finn's boyfriend line and Ren's rape stare. I tried to ignored that Ren scene because it was just a perspective not supported by anything else. But imo he's looks rapey as all hell.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

temple posted:

Addition? Vader's interrogation of Leia in ANH is about as rapey as you can get.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Corek posted:

Fix your Cleartype, jeez.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

I'm not surprised that the review doesn't focus on TFA that much and instead derails towards Abrams, Listicles, Ring Theory, and fandom. Anyone who's even halfheartedly checked in on RLM material could tell you that Mike loved TFA, and with only 1/3rd of the NT available it was always going to have less focused than the reviews of the fully finished PT.

Because there's not a lot to talk about with regards to TFA. It's a fine movie, entertaining, there's nothing really to discuss about it. The prequels were a lot more polarizing. Some people like them, some people hate them, there's a lot to talk about. They're interesting movies even if you don't like them. Like midichlorians, Jar Jar Binks, all that weird cultish poo poo with the Jedi: even if you think those things are terrible, they're at least terrible in a baffling "What was George thinking?" kind of way. The Force Awakens is competent and entertaining, and actually has a few bits of genuine goodness (the characters), but it also feels a bit by-the-numbers. Millenium Falcon, Han Solo, Chewbacca, Princess Leia, stormtroopers, another Death Star type thing, the Empire. The prequels were Lucas doing his own thing; TFA is more design-by-committee. Hopefully that'll change in future movies, but who knows.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Addition? Vader's interrogation of Leia in ANH is about as rapey as you can get.
The interrogation happened but it was just him and a robot with needle. Leia wasn't even restrained. It is a lot different than the dialog and Ren sans mask with Rey resisting in a torture chair.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Blue Star posted:

Because there's not a lot to talk about with regards to TFA. It's a fine movie, entertaining, there's nothing really to discuss about it. The prequels were a lot more polarizing. Some people like them, some people hate them, there's a lot to talk about. They're interesting movies even if you don't like them. Like midichlorians, Jar Jar Binks, all that weird cultish poo poo with the Jedi: even if you think those things are terrible, they're at least terrible in a baffling "What was George thinking?" kind of way. The Force Awakens is competent and entertaining, and actually has a few bits of genuine goodness (the characters), but it also feels a bit by-the-numbers. Millenium Falcon, Han Solo, Chewbacca, Princess Leia, stormtroopers, another Death Star type thing, the Empire. The prequels were Lucas doing his own thing; TFA is more design-by-committee. Hopefully that'll change in future movies, but who knows.

Plus, the legacy of TFA is really going to be colored by the next two films.

If TFA were the last film, it'd be fantastic on its own, if that helps.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Fix your Cleartype, jeez.

I found that on Twitter and didn't take it. :rolleye:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Corek posted:

I have the feeling that when he brought up the diversity and then proceeded not to make any real statement on it that he was trying to get that reaction on youtube comments.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Even if it has rape undertones, thats not the same as exploiting rape or casting it in a good light. Rey overpowers her attempted-rapist, [literally] becomes a stronger person from her success, and does not become emotionally traumatized. It's about the same as complaining about depictions of murder in a scene where a hero saves someone from their assailant.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

temple posted:

The interrogation happened but it was just him and a robot with needle. Leia wasn't even restrained.

No, just cornered in a tiny room where she is then visually enveloped by the giant guy. Who has a needle.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

temple posted:

Idk, Leia was always a sexy princess in comparison to Rey's asexuality. Even in ANH she lounged around in her cell like a typical damsel in distress

Rey is asexual and most of the characters are outside of Finn's boyfriend line and Ren's rape stare. I tried to ignored that Ren scene because it was just a perspective not supported by anything else. But imo he's looks rapey as all hell.

There's clearly a rape subtext between Kylo Ren and the captured Rey -- it's an evil man trying to dominant a vulnerable woman, for God's sake -- but I only have an issue with you saying this a new thing for Star Wars. In the beginning of ROTJ, Leia wore a humiliating metal bikini and an actual collar; Jabba treated her like his property. At least Kylo didn't act like Rey was an object he can possess.

Serf
May 5, 2011

To balance the scales, Finn has to wear a metal speedo and be saved by Poe in Episode IX.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Equeen posted:

There's clearly a rape subtext between Kylo Ren and the captured Rey -- it's an evil man trying to dominant a vulnerable woman, for God's sake -- but I only have an issue with you saying this a new thing for Star Wars. In the beginning of ROTJ, Leia wore a humiliating metal bikini and an actual collar; Jabba treated her like his property. At least Kylo didn't act like Rey was an object he can possess.
I apologize for saying addition. I hope this reaches you and brings peace.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

temple posted:

I apologize for saying addition. I hope this reaches you and brings peace.

I feel so relieved :geno:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I :love: this thread

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Corek posted:

As far as I'm concerned this is the audience that RLM deserves for that loving Ghostbusters video.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Equeen posted:

What about Poe Dameron?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

What about Poe Dameron?

Oscar Isaac is Guatemalan.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serf posted:

Oscar Isaac is Guatemalan.

That doesn't mean that every character he plays automatically becomes Guatemalan.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

That doesn't mean that every character he plays automatically becomes Guatemalan.

Right. Steve Martin was a black man in The Jerk.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

homullus posted:

How does Arnold Schwarzenegger, with a thick Austrian accent, so frequently play a character named John?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Who would have guessed that these libertarian Star Wars nerds would become figureheads of the alt right.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

All I'm pointing out is that the actor is not white.

Actually, wasn't there an interview with Isaac about how the Rebel base exterior in Episode IV was from Guatemala, and they decided that Poe would be from that world? I remember thinking that was very sweet.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Guy Goodbody posted:

It also doesn't make them automatically white either.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

homullus posted:

There's no Guatemala in space, so the character of Poe Dameron can't be Guatemalan. So whether or not the actor portraying him is Guatemalan has nothing to do with what race Poe Dameron is.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

There's no Guatemala in space, so the character of Poe Dameron can't be Guatemalan. So whether or not the actor portraying him is Guatemalan has nothing to do with what race Poe Dameron is.

Finn: The Guato system? What's that?
Poe: It's where I'm from!
Finn: There are too many systems nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

There is no race in space, or even in much of Western history. Race is a construct born of the imperialism of the past ~700 years.

• Locked thread