Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.

alnilam posted:

I'm glad you liked it! I just finished the last of the coffee you sent actually, which was also very lovely, AND I finally drank that mead this past Tuesday and it was very nice we were fancy and drank it out of wine glasses :winepal:

:winepal: is needed!!

i'm glad you enjoyed it! next year i'm going to re-try making honeycrisp apple mead. i understand how to manage the fermentation a bit better now, so i think i should be able to make a somewhat sweeter mead with a fizz this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death sext

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

i'm glad you enjoyed it! next year i'm going to re-try making honeycrisp apple mead. i understand how to manage the fermentation a bit better now, so i think i should be able to make a somewhat sweeter mead with a fizz this time.

holy moley that sounds amazing

The Bananana

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I deal with apples on the reg, and this sounds extremely awesome.

POOL IS CLOSED

thanks!

what i sent alnilam was the second type of mead i tried brewing. the fragrance was really lovely but the champagne yeast i used sorta stripped out the flavor even though i added honeycrisp apples at three different stages... probably should've bottled much sooner than i did. also didn't use yeast nutrient! which is now part of my grand plan. it did come out nicely clear after a long wait.

i did joe's ancient orange first a few times on the advice of another goon, and it was very fun but my tastes don't run sticky sweet. my partner loved it though and i took it to a cc thunderdome meetup last summer. :3: we had a good time.

anyway um yup that's my story

i feel very babbly today

death sext

man same PIC. sometimes I get so tired that my mind starts racing and I gotta get those words out! it is good that you are babbly tho, because I have heard of your mead and it isbinterint

interesting geez louise

POOL IS CLOSED

i was tryna figure out what isbinterint is so i'm glad you saved me

thanks friend death sext!

today i need to do some mad science in the kitchen and i also need to work on revising this novella but all i really wanna do is read read read read

also i was reminded of the priest of my childhood diocese and that was a little depressing

this week has been pretty interesting so far. i read a doujin someone in orange fluffy sheep's Dragon Quest 8 LP recommended: "how i stalked a man with an exposed nipple and found the zenithian sword" and it turned out to be weirdly good and touching

and gave me some insight into my own condition that i hope i will be able to hold onto for 2017. i know i'm not the only one who dwells too long on mistakes and failures and doesn't pick herself back up very quickly. i made more progress there in 2016 than ever, though. ideally this is a lesson i would've only needed to learn once, but it's not permanently stuck before. this time i really felt it, though. change is hard!

Android Blues

hey POOL IS CLOSED your geneforge lp is really good. just sayin

i don't even read lps but it's very detailed and your original material fits the sparse but evocative vogel prose style perfectly. i somehow didn't make the connection between GOOD GENEFORGE LP POSTER and the person who sent alnilam home brewed mead at secret santa so i felt it was worth registering that moment of realisation

POOL IS CLOSED

thanks android blues! i need to get off my butt... or rather situate my butt at my desk... and prepare the next update. what a timely reminder!

i'm always a little worried that people will get upset that i haven't made it 100% clear how much of the dialogue sections are vogel's work, since i haven't italicized anything or followed the little headshot thing most of the other lpers use

but no one has gotten mad about it so i figure that's just me being anxious

other than that, good times. though if you haven't played the whole game, don't read glazius's most recent post!

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNi37RG7lJc

death sext

rubber chicken snuff film :wth:

death sext

horse mauls comedy prop and you won't believe what happens next

The Bananana

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

:heart:

Salmiakki

death sext posted:

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

POOL IS CLOSED

death sext posted:

horse mouse comedy carp and you won't sea bream where pelicans nest???

Android Blues

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

thanks android blues! i need to get off my butt... or rather situate my butt at my desk... and prepare the next update. what a timely reminder!

i'm always a little worried that people will get upset that i haven't made it 100% clear how much of the dialogue sections are vogel's work, since i haven't italicized anything or followed the little headshot thing most of the other lpers use

but no one has gotten mad about it so i figure that's just me being anxious

other than that, good times. though if you haven't played the whole game, don't read glazius's most recent post!

i think the lack of the headshot thingie is great, often in other LPs it degenerates into a sort of 2002-era fanfiction vibe where the let's player's OC is snarking at the plot. your way is way more readable and smooth, and feels like it is sculpting the already good geneforge story into a more personalised one while keeping the spirit and feeling of the original writing intact. so yeah, big fan of the choice!

POOL IS CLOSED

:blush: i'm enjoying all this praise too much.

that puts me in mind of the first really good critique i got of my writing, which was the result of a friend handing off a story i was working on to someone i didn't really know, and then they went through line by line and ripped it up mst3k-style.

it was funny but also the first time someone had actually offered substantive criticism of what i was doing. it was mean as poo poo, which was great, because it was also pretty direct.

i agree there's a line between critique and mst3king something. sometimes snark is really good, especially when it comes to really smarmy poo poo. there's absolutely no shortage of smarmy poo poo in entertainment. really cynical pieces of work that at best do nothing but pander to a self-involved audience, or worse, actively seek to promote the formation and isolation of such an audience. (i'm pointing at otaku subculture here, but that's far from the only such market.)

in fact, this is my favorite extended meditation on the subject of snark: on snark, which i think is an excellent thing to read side-by-side with another article it references from the believer here.

but many takedowns just degenerate into ego puffery among the people taking part. the thoughtfulness drains away and all that's left is identity-affirming hostility that isn't much better than what's ostensibly being criticized. ideally, critique does more than just let people perform allegiance to a sophisticated in-group. at least, in my case, i have to say that my expectations of critique are in line with my expectations of art: that it does more than create that self-satisfaction in the creators and the consumers.

obviously i think games are art. not all games are good, not all games are good art, but if we can have industrial art and commercial art, then it follows that games can be one or the other or both, or there can at least be space for them in that cultural sphere.

that's really tangential and more than i planned to write on the subject, i got kinda carried away.

one time i applied to be a games journalist :sigh:

The Bananana

Pool, you inspire me to actually start writing.

I consider myself a writer, except for the actually writing part. So lol.

POOL IS CLOSED

The Bananana posted:

Pool, you inspire me to actually start writing.

I consider myself a writer, except for the actually writing part. So lol.

gotta write, bananamang

i got back in the groove thanks to thunderdome and nanowrimo, and now i write every day and peddle my horrible words to the readin' public

and so can you!

something i didn't really make clear before was the mst3k thing vs critique. the intent of the mst3k was laughs at my work's expense (and really at my expense, this was fuckin high school and that's how it was), it just happened to actually be useful and insightful. that's not always gonna be the case. and that's fine. comedy is good

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Android Blues

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:blush: i'm enjoying all this praise too much.

that puts me in mind of the first really good critique i got of my writing, which was the result of a friend handing off a story i was working on to someone i didn't really know, and then they went through line by line and ripped it up mst3k-style.

it was funny but also the first time someone had actually offered substantive criticism of what i was doing. it was mean as poo poo, which was great, because it was also pretty direct.

i agree there's a line between critique and mst3king something. sometimes snark is really good, especially when it comes to really smarmy poo poo. there's absolutely no shortage of smarmy poo poo in entertainment. really cynical pieces of work that at best do nothing but pander to a self-involved audience, or worse, actively seek to promote the formation and isolation of such an audience. (i'm pointing at otaku subculture here, but that's far from the only such market.)

in fact, this is my favorite extended meditation on the subject of snark: on snark, which i think is an excellent thing to read side-by-side with another article it references from the believer here.

but many takedowns just degenerate into ego puffery among the people taking part. the thoughtfulness drains away and all that's left is identity-affirming hostility that isn't much better than what's ostensibly being criticized. ideally, critique does more than just let people perform allegiance to a sophisticated in-group. at least, in my case, i have to say that my expectations of critique are in line with my expectations of art: that it does more than create that self-satisfaction in the creators and the consumers.

obviously i think games are art. not all games are good, not all games are good art, but if we can have industrial art and commercial art, then it follows that games can be one or the other or both, or there can at least be space for them in that cultural sphere.

that's really tangential and more than i planned to write on the subject, i got kinda carried away.

one time i applied to be a games journalist :sigh:

this is so on point haha. i completely agree that snark can be generative, necessary, and hilarious, but the flip side is a risk of it devolving into really empty critique that invents issues to pick at because by now, this is the person in question's Brand and their Format and galvanises an in-group against the totemically despised subject matter. it's completely the kind of thing that, to be legitimate, you have to ease up and acknowledge when the target of your satire does something right or simply has no egregious flaws in a given segment. otherwise it can become pure performance without substance. i think it's even difficult to make that tonal change though! because it can feel like you're selling out, or like your previous meanness was somehow inauthentic, if you aren't consistently catty about everything about the thing forever.

but yeah, i'm with you. critique should be thoughtful and that doesn't exclude it being snarky and mean, and you're right, there's so many things that absolutely need a ludicrously scathing review to really hammer home just how bad they are and make them the figures of fun they deserve to be (otaku culture is a great example). a lot of these things aren't just smarmy but are so intellectually puerile that giving them a calm and even-handed review that is moderate and literal about their failings, as if you're discussing how you felt about the new Coetzee or whatever, would be giving them more credit than they deserve.

at the same time, it's so easy for someone whose Thing is snarky satire to get so wrapped up in scoring zingers and hearing the baying of the crowd that they sacrifice thoughtfulness for more jokes - jokes that no longer really have the same oomph because the critique is being written to fit the desired tone rather than the tone being set by the conclusions of the critique. people who start out with good points can end up manufacturing bad ones to keep the rush of being the incisive, acidic critic with all the best takes. it's such a hard tightrope to walk

also im tickled that you caught my sly reference to mst3king and instantly called it that

Android Blues

also from today: a) its my birthday and

b) im the resident marketing exec at my company and today one of my sales managers (who is interested in marketing as a side hobby) cc'd me on a pitch email to a prospect where he had decided to zazz the pitch paragraph up marketing-wise by writing it in blue comic sans

Android Blues

like, he talked pretty convincingly about how you need the Look, gotta be glossy and smart, he's been reading about it etc. and i was like, nice, this guy understands some aspects of my job, and then he goes and sends a comic sans e-mail to a lead and i could not stop giggling

POOL IS CLOSED

mst3k is instantly what came to mind for 2002 fanfic with author insert OC meta-humor. that was such a thing that it even caught on among writing circles outside of fandom!

also, happy birthday! may comic sans never be part of your brand.

is the Look a personal appearance thing or a work output thing

because my personal look is pretty firmly matte

death sext

Android Blues posted:

also from today: a) its my birthday and

b) im the resident marketing exec at my company and today one of my sales managers (who is interested in marketing as a side hobby) cc'd me on a pitch email to a prospect where he had decided to zazz the pitch paragraph up marketing-wise by writing it in blue comic sans

happy birthday! maybe the blue comic sans was done for your benefit. guy was just happy about your birthday

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Android Blues posted:

its my birthday

bean mom

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Manifisto

Android Blues posted:

like, he talked pretty convincingly about how you need the Look, gotta be glossy and smart, he's been reading about it etc. and i was like, nice, this guy understands some aspects of my job, and then he goes and sends a comic sans e-mail to a lead and i could not stop giggling

byob has kinda warped my brain re: comic sans, I'm glad to hear you can still make the distinction in your professional life

SHY NUDIST GRRL

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

My writing is plodding along at an okay pace I think. I don't have anything to show though. I got one big project and another I only started a few days ago.

Android Blues

:love: luvcow, its the perfect gift

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

is the Look a personal appearance thing or a work output thing

because my personal look is pretty firmly matte

oh god no if i had to be glossy on anything other than date nights id never be able to drag myself in on time. i would describe my look, couched in these terms, as "lightly stippled".

death sext posted:

happy birthday! maybe the blue comic sans was done for your benefit. guy was just happy about your birthday

thank you! it's possible that comic sans has permeated my aura to the extent where even distant men at other depots can sense it rising off me like a thick fog, so this would make sense.

Manifisto posted:

byob has kinda warped my brain re: comic sans, I'm glad to hear you can still make the distinction in your professional life

lets be real here, barely. i actually compulsively had to write a reply "fw: all" about the milk ape, just so i could delete it and calm myself

POOL IS CLOSED

the milk ape?

SHY NUDIST GRRL

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Android Blues posted:

oh god no if i had to be glossy on anything other than date nights id never be able to drag myself in on time. i would describe my look, couched in these terms, as "lightly stippled".

More like lightly stripped

alnilam

Hap Bd An Bls!

alnilam

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

the milk ape?

*crosses self* the milk ape....

SIDS Vicious

hey does anyone have that gif of me with the bong kicking around i need it for reasons

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

----------------

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

----------------

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless
Happy birthday!

the littlest prince

The Bananana

Hoppy birthday

social vegan

happy boff android blues i like ur words and that sweeet attitude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues

the milk ape is a very silly old byob meme where a lifelike chocolate gorilla gets melted in a pot of milk, and is considered a martyr. honestly, it was probably a bit of a deep cut because i was barely around for that and i dont think manifisto was haha