Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
I have what is probably an extremely dumb and basic question. We have a solid plate cover in an area above the molding in our foyer being useless. I was considering adding an electrical outlet there. I took off the plate but the wires look way small and I thought most electrical outlets only had 3 wires to deal with. Is this box intended for something different?

Location of box above molding:

Inside of box showing Red/Black/And Wrapped together White/Green:

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Abisteen posted:

I have what is probably an extremely dumb and basic question. We have a solid plate cover in an area above the molding in our foyer being useless. I was considering adding an electrical outlet there. I took off the plate but the wires look way small and I thought most electrical outlets only had 3 wires to deal with. Is this box intended for something different?

Thanks!

Old doorbell chime?

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
Huh, that seems like a definite possibility. Our chime is in a more central location in the house. That would certainly explain why the wires are so tiny I guess.

\/ Thanks! Idea trashed. \/

Abisteen fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 31, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Abisteen posted:

Thanks!

That says 22AWG so it's not for a standard electrical outlet. Your smallest wire would be 14AWG for a 120V outlet.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Could it be for something like an older wired sensor/alarm system? The foyer is a place you might mount one.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Older ethernet standards only used 4 conductors, but I think that all predates PoE so it couldn't be a camera.

Phone jacks use 2 or 4 conductors, but I'm not sure why you'd want one in that spot.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My front door handle doesn't quite move the latch all the way inside the door when it turns. It sticks out maybe a centimeter, and requires some wiggling and yelling to get it to open.
Any idea what could be causing that? Weak spring? In need of lubrication?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

canyoneer posted:

My front door handle doesn't quite move the latch all the way inside the door when it turns. It sticks out maybe a centimeter, and requires some wiggling and yelling to get it to open.
Any idea what could be causing that? Weak spring? In need of lubrication?

That’s a pretty common way for doorknobs to wear out.

Just replace it the whole thing. Handle set/deadbolt combo kits are fairly cheap.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nevets posted:

Older ethernet standards only used 4 conductors, but I think that all predates PoE so it couldn't be a camera.

Phone jacks use 2 or 4 conductors, but I'm not sure why you'd want one in that spot.

It's low volt alarm/doorbell wiring. Not ethernet (which makes no sense art all based in positioning never mind the actual cable).

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

My guess was low voltage wiring for lighting above the molding.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Neighbor is cutting cement pavers with a diamond blade circular saw. It's making huge plumes of super fine dust that's wafting into my yard where my child was playing. I asked him if he could please cut them wet and he looked at me like I was insane.

What "should" he be doing?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

He would need a special saw and blade to wet-cut them. That being said, it's probably the better way to go.

Edit: Unless you mean he didn't wet it at all before he started cutting, in which case :psyduck:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 5, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KillHour posted:

He would need a special saw and blade to wet-cut them. That being said, it's probably the better way to go.

Edit: Unless you mean he didn't wet it at all before he started cutting, in which case :psyduck:

Yeah it's bone dry back there. Not even making the stones damp. When I say a lot of dust I am not exaggerating.

What is said special tool and blade? Maybe I will grab a hazard fraught tool and home depot blade for him.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

H110Hawk posted:

Neighbor is cutting cement pavers with a diamond blade circular saw. It's making huge plumes of super fine dust that's wafting into my yard where my child was playing. I asked him if he could please cut them wet and he looked at me like I was insane.

If you’re in the US, as of September 2017 that’s a violation of the OSHA crystalline silica regs. But OSHA only protects worker health, not neighbor health, and if he’s the homeowner it doubly doesn’t apply. But yeah you’re not insane.

Special tools could be a garden hose.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

H110Hawk posted:

Spraying them down before cutting is only going to wet the surface and not do anything at all for the other 99% of the cross section to be cut. It’s not like having someone stand there in the “line of fire” trying to dribble a hose would really be effective either, and probably wouldn’t be great for the saw.

I just cut a bunch of stone veneer panels with a diamond blade in an angle grinder. It made a poo poo ton of dust and got everywhere. My pod mask was super sweaty and my hands got so cracked and dry. I apologized to my neighbors and gave them a heads up to close the windows, but there wasn’t much else I could do with what I had. The thing sucked for everyone but that’s that.

The guy who did my brick stoop cut everything with a big rear end gas-powered saw loud enough to wake the dead that not only spewed red brick dust, but also thick black smoke. You could’ve had it worse?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Yeah it's bone dry back there. Not even making the stones damp. When I say a lot of dust I am not exaggerating.

What is said special tool and blade? Maybe I will grab a hazard fraught tool and home depot blade for him.

Depends on how thick the pavers are. Tile saws are relatively cheap, but don't cut anything very thick. You'd either want a wet concrete saw or masonry saw (depending on if it's small enough to cut it on a table or if it's on the ground with you following behind it), which could easily be 4 figures.

BigFactory posted:

Special tools could be a garden hose.

I mean, sure, if you want to win a Darwin award via electrocution.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KillHour posted:

Depends on how thick the pavers are. Tile saws are relatively cheap, but don't cut anything very thick. You'd either want a wet concrete saw or masonry saw (depending on if it's small enough to cut it on a table or if it's on the ground with you following behind it), which could easily be 4 figures.

They couldn't be more than 2" thick from an eyeball through the fence (wearing a 3m respirator, near as I could tell he had on nothing.) Is this an upgraded tile saw or? It's around his garden.

KillHour posted:

Solves my immediate problem.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KillHour posted:

It’s that or silicosis, right? The right tool for the job is a wet saw or a saw with dust extraction. There’s a billion on the market now because osha made every contractor have to go buy them.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

They couldn't be more than 2" thick from an eyeball through the fence (wearing a 3m respirator, near as I could tell he had on nothing.) Is this an upgraded tile saw or? It's around his garden.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-in-25-hp-tilebrick-saw-69275.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/10-in-Continuous-Rim-Wet-Cut-Tile-Saw-and-Masonry-Diamond-Blade-68880.html

Only has to work once, right?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

You only want to cut one tile?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

H110Hawk posted:

Is he doing it everyday? or is this for a single project?

Take your kid indoors and close your windows for a while if you're that worried.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

JEEVES420 posted:

Is he doing it everyday? or is this for a single project?

Take your kid indoors and close your windows for a while if you're that worried.

That's what we did, but only after we realized there was a plume of cement dust wafting over the fence for the third day in a row. It's upsetting to my 3 year old that he can't play outside, it's upsetting to us because he's huffing cement dust. Day 1 it was sorta just "crazy neighbor is doing something over there let's go inside it's nearly bath time anyways." The next day it was "I should really figure out what the hell he's doing to make sure that isn't like lead paint he's grinding or something." There's doing a quick project, and there is being inconsiderate to the kid you can hear chattering away and running around next door.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

H110Hawk posted:

That's what we did, but only after we realized there was a plume of cement dust wafting over the fence for the third day in a row. It's upsetting to my 3 year old that he can't play outside, it's upsetting to us because he's huffing cement dust. Day 1 it was sorta just "crazy neighbor is doing something over there let's go inside it's nearly bath time anyways." The next day it was "I should really figure out what the hell he's doing to make sure that isn't like lead paint he's grinding or something." There's doing a quick project, and there is being inconsiderate to the kid you can hear chattering away and running around next door.
I mean cement dust definitely isn’t great for you, especially for long term exposure, but I don’t think your kid playing outside 30 feet away for a few hours a day for a couple days is going to really hurt them unless they have crazy asthma or something. If you’re super worried, get him a dust mask to color like a superhero mask and all the sudden it will be fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is there a dedicated plumbing thread that I'm overlooking? We discovered a leak in the supply line to our upstairs bathroom, noticed a small stain on the kitchen ceiling so I cut a small hole to take a look and saw the typical copper pipe with green shizzle on it. I'm mostly curious about a basic repair for now until we renovate the kitchen in the spring when I plan to replace all the accessable lines with pex.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Is there a dedicated plumbing thread that I'm overlooking? We discovered a leak in the supply line to our upstairs bathroom, noticed a small stain on the kitchen ceiling so I cut a small hole to take a look and saw the typical copper pipe with green shizzle on it. I'm mostly curious about a basic repair for now until we renovate the kitchen in the spring when I plan to replace all the accessable lines with pex.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131944

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I mean cement dust definitely isn’t great for you, especially for long term exposure, but I don’t think your kid playing outside 30 feet away for a few hours a day for a couple days is going to really hurt them unless they have crazy asthma or something. If you’re super worried, get him a dust mask to color like a superhero mask and all the sudden it will be fun.

Huff markers not cement :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Thanks!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The E/N dramatic conclusion - yesterday we ran into him on the sidewalk and chatted. He tried his wetsaw but it wasn't big enough, no real surprise. He apologized for the dust, I said no big deal if we could just work out a time. We did, and I can hear him sawing away with his skillsaw right now while my kid is at preschool.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

The E/N dramatic conclusion - yesterday we ran into him on the sidewalk and chatted. He tried his wetsaw but it wasn't big enough, no real surprise. He apologized for the dust, I said no big deal if we could just work out a time. We did, and I can hear him sawing away with his skillsaw right now while my kid is at preschool.

You... *talked* to him to resolve it? Please turn in your Goon card immediately...

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

JEEVES420 posted:

Huff markers not cement :v:

Also don't huff markers. :catdrugs:

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
I am both terrible at DIY and I really really hate putting holes in my walls/doorframes/ceilings.
But my wife bought a baby swing for my very young baby (7 months). I'm wondering if there's some way to mount this that will be safe enough to use without drilling holes in things.

I thought of those pull-up bars that you can put in doorframes (eg, something like this https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products...AQ&gclsrc=aw.ds) since it can support the weight of a grown adult and is easily removable, but that's obviously not its intended purpose.

The Jolly Jumper also comes with a doorway clamp thing (https://jolly-jumper.myshopify.com/products/104) but I have serious doubts that would work for a swing.

Obviously I'm not planning to push the baby on the swing until he's horizontal but whatever I get does still have to allow for at least some swinging.

Does anyone have any advice for what I could do?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Soul Reaver posted:

I am both terrible at DIY and I really really hate putting holes in my walls/doorframes/ceilings.
But my wife bought a baby swing for my very young baby (7 months). I'm wondering if there's some way to mount this that will be safe enough to use without drilling holes in things.

Link the swing.

Read the instructions and follow them. Decades of litigation wrote them unless it's some hip etsykickstarterpintetest thing in which case return it. (And even then sometimes decades of litigation little tikes still killed a bunch of kids and recalled the most popular rock n play thing. Partially because people didn't follow the directions.)

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

H110Hawk posted:

Link the swing.

Read the instructions and follow them. Decades of litigation wrote them unless it's some hip etsykickstarterpintetest thing in which case return it. (And even then sometimes decades of litigation little tikes still killed a bunch of kids and recalled the most popular rock n play thing. Partially because people didn't follow the directions.)

This is it:
https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product...der%3A2913794.3

The instructions are to screw in a couple of (included) screw eyes and hook it up to that.
They don't look particularly heavy duty.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
This may be of interest to the folks out there asking what the best way to hang things.

Highly suggest if you think you know the answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHb-Tcvkn7M

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

Wasabi the J posted:

Drywall video

This is a good video but doesn't help me much as I'm trying to avoid having to drill any holes into my walls/ceilings in the first place.
That is, if that's even possible. :(

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Is there a "home cleaning" thread of some kind?

I'm not looking for "Goons, do your laundry at least once a week and don't leave those dirty dishes piled in the sink if you want to not scare people away from your squalor pit".

More like "My stainless steel (appliance) had all these streaks, so I used (product X) and with a bit of Elbow grease and time its now streak free". Or I used (other products) and turns out the grout between my tiles is white and not brown". Or "this is how I deep cleaned my kitchen" etc....

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Soul Reaver posted:

This is a good video but doesn't help me much as I'm trying to avoid having to drill any holes into my walls/ceilings in the first place.

You really just need to get over this phobia because drill holes are very small and if you don’t own the place are really easy to fill.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

wesleywillis posted:

I'm not looking for "Goons, do your laundry at least once a week and don't leave those dirty dishes piled in the sink if you want to not scare people away from your squalor pit".

More like "My stainless steel (appliance) had all these streaks, so I used (product X) and with a bit of Elbow grease and time its now streak free". Or I used (other products) and turns out the grout between my tiles is white and not brown". Or "this is how I deep cleaned my kitchen" etc....

Don't think so, but DIY sounds like the best place to start one

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Soul Reaver posted:

If your scared of repairing holes, most handymen do it pretty cheap. A pedestrian outside a hardware store could do it for dirt cheap.

But there's YouTube on doing that too!

This is an overview of more advanced technique to repair paint damage and avoid obvious patches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XHCYGbnkRo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Soul Reaver posted:

I thought of those pull-up bars that you can put in doorframes (eg, something like this https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products...AQ&gclsrc=aw.ds) since it can support the weight of a grown adult and is easily removable, but that's obviously not its intended purpose.

The Jolly Jumper also comes with a doorway clamp thing (https://jolly-jumper.myshopify.com/products/104) but I have serious doubts that would work for a swing.

Obviously I'm not planning to push the baby on the swing until he's horizontal but whatever I get does still have to allow for at least some swinging.

I would personally go for the screw option but "friction fit" or "tension bar" might be useful keywords if you're looking for a no-screw option.

I'm not sure I'd trust that sort of thing to support a baby, though.

wesleywillis posted:

Not that I know of. Feel free to start one, or drop it into this thread which has become something of a catch-all for quick home improvement things.