Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gene Simmons made the entertainment licensing industry his bitch and got rich as gently caress himself instead of just making some record executives slightly richer than they already were, he’s allowed to be a little arrogant about it imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

After Mack 10 references from Nash, the Outsiders entering to the Fugees at house shows, signing Master P to a deal, and Konnan having his own rap video, WCW put their finger on the pulse of pop culture and called in.... KISS.

People forget how hot Kiss was at that time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember Psycho Circus being pretty big.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember Psycho Circus being pretty big.

the video game was... shockingly competent, at least by the standards of licensed late 90s video games

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I did like the Detroit Rock City movie lol

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

I have a VHS copy of "Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park", it's a gem.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

At least ICP supposedly worked for cheap, and were really enthusiastic about getting in the ring.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's a shame the Oddities entrance at the Highway to Hell Summerslam in MSG was cut out from the Network. The entire place going insane for ICP is about as 1998 as you can get.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Animal-Mother posted:

After Mack 10 references from Nash, the Outsiders entering to the Fugees at house shows, signing Master P to a deal, and Konnan having his own rap video, WCW put their finger on the pulse of pop culture and called in.... KISS.

I still love Master P's posse were getting like 50K an appearance. Nice work if you can get it.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

About the Mountie, I'm never surprised to hear of wrestlers being lovely people anymore, but I will say I remember as a kid being really upset that he blatantly abused his legal authority to shock people, I guess an early sign that ACAB.

Also I didn't watch much of the Master P stuff but it was pretty hilarious that the heel group made an anti-rap song that got big pops from the WCW core audience.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

I still love Master P's posse were getting like 50K an appearance. Nice work if you can get it.

I think some of the guys in his entourage got paid without ever even making an appearance

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

haljordan posted:

I think some of the guys in his entourage got paid without ever even making an appearance

Make Turner's accountants say "Uhh..."

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Rusty Shackelford posted:

People forget how hot Kiss was at that time.

Hate to say it but kiss was pretty big in the late 90s. There was a lot of crossover between kiss and wrestling fans. And kiss fans love spending money on poo poo with the kiss logo.

Having their own wrestler was overkill, but having them play a song on tv wasn’t a bad idea. You just need to get those people to continue to watch once the song is over.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

The American Dream posted:

Hate to say it but kiss was pretty big in the late 90s. There was a lot of crossover between kiss and wrestling fans. And kiss fans love spending money on poo poo with the kiss logo.

I'm pretty sure one of the final trades the guy who traded his way from a paperclip to a house made was a KISS snowglobe for a role in a movie.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Having their own wrestler was overkill, but having them play a song on tv wasn’t a bad idea. You just need to get those people to continue to watch once the song is over.

Honestly, I'd probably say that having them randomly play on live TV was a worse idea than giving them a wrestler? Like you said, there was a good amount of overlap between people who thought wrestling was cool and people who thought KISS was cool in 1999. There's less overlap between people who want to watch a wrestling show and people who want to watch live music that's kind of mediocre because it's being filmed at a wrestling show on a random Monday night.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Angry_Ed posted:

Make Turner's accountants say "Uhh..."

Sadly this wasn't even a thing unique to Bischoff-era WCW. JCP brought in Iron Sheik but Sheiky Baby was really bad by 1989-ish (and before, really) so they sent him home but promptly forgot he was under contract so they had to pay him 100K when his contract rolled over the next year. 200K or so not to wrestle is, again, nice work if you can get it.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I was around 15 or 16 at the time and remember being sort of confused and thinking it was lame about the whole Kiss Demon thing. Their music is so bland and boring but they acted like they're some sort of hardcore metal band.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Also in the contract with kiss the demon had to be in 3 main events. So they’d advertise the kiss demon in a special main event that would happen midway through the show. I’d assume they all happened in the first hour before raw started so you didn’t lose a million people for the night.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Also in the contract with kiss the demon had to be in 3 main events. So they’d advertise the kiss demon in a special main event that would happen midway through the show. I’d assume they all happened in the first hour before raw started so you didn’t lose a million people for the night.

The special main events were PPV matches.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

MassRafTer posted:

The special main events were PPV matches.

Oops. It was just one main event on ppv. It was the 4th match of super brawl against the wall, brother.

I think I just remember them talking about a special main event during nitro and assumed it happened while watching raw.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Oops. It was just one main event on ppv. It was the 4th match of super brawl against the wall, brother.

WCW had Kiss vs Pink Floyd on a show that also featured James Brown.

The wrong drat company won.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Whether or not KISS was still popular in 99 wasn't really the question, it was who they were popular to. In 99 KISS felt like the lamest dad rock and having them on Nitro felt very uncool. Master P didn't work out but at least he was a legit massive star at the time.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The movie Detroit Rock City also came out in 99 which helped give KISS a bit of a resurgence with people too. Including dorks like me who grew up on hair metal and all that poo poo and had a KISS Army patch on his backpack.

I liked the idea of the Demon character as a wrestler because the look is a fun dumb look for a wrestler but it was all incredibly lame even to me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

The movie Detroit Rock City also came out in 99 which helped give KISS a bit of a resurgence with people too. Including dorks like me who grew up on hair metal and all that poo poo and had a KISS Army patch on his backpack.

I liked the idea of the Demon character as a wrestler because the look is a fun dumb look for a wrestler but it was all incredibly lame even to me.

It was a huge bomb.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

i loved this dogshit movie as a child, Natasha Lyonne killed it in her weird little side role

Master P also appealed to me greatly and I was so happy to see him in WCW. my taste is not the taste of someone WCW should have been marketing toward

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

remember how the secret level in 2000's Tony Hawk Underground was a KISS concert

the only thing that was hot about KISS in the late 90s was KISS' marketing budget

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Alaois posted:

remember how the secret level in 2000's Tony Hawk Underground was a KISS concert

the only thing that was hot about KISS in the late 90s was KISS' marketing budget

That's basically been true for most of their existence, and Gene prefers it that way. He literally believes 0% of people making music do it for any motivation other than money.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MassRafTer posted:

It was a huge bomb.

For people who already liked KISS, it was an excuse to care about them again. At least with the people I knew at the time.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Did The Demon ever feud with the ICP? There's gotta be money in an Insane Clown Posse vs KISS feud.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxmPLumK_Fs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtaGEyELDuY

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Alaois posted:

They had the number one tour in 1997. Manufactured or not, there was a huge Kiss resurgence at that time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

They had the number one tour in 1997. Manufactured or not, there was a huge Kiss resurgence at that time.

And the top two tours of 99 were Springsteen and the Rolling Stones. I love Bruce but I wouldn't book him on Nitro. I would book him on Dynamite to do a table spot with Sting, however. KISS was a very successful money making band. Bands with older fanbases with money to spend can make a lot of money on tour. They just won't appeal to "the casual fan."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Well yeah none of the musician guest spots worked out, it didn’t matter how hot the act was.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Turns out Wrestling fans don't want to see a concert at a Wrestling event (Unless it's Jam, Project at the start of an Event in Japan cause Jam Project)

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
DX band probably cost 1%-2%what wcw paid kiss to record the DX theme song and appear at wrestlemania 14.

Guess which one made waaaaaay more money for their associated wrestling company.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
But then the DX theme evolved and became THE KING OF ROCK WHO THE KING OF ROCK WHAT

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Alaois posted:

I remember that level being fairly fun to play, probably the first Kiss related thing I ever enjoyed.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Sandman McMahon posted:

Did The Demon ever feud with the ICP? There's gotta be money in an Insane Clown Posse vs KISS feud.
I'm pretty sure he was at one point part of a stable called the Dark Carnival which was Vampiro, The Great Muta, The Demon, and ICP.

DX band probably cost 1%-2%what wcw paid kiss to record the DX theme song and appear at wrestlemania 14.

Guess which one made waaaaaay more money for their associated wrestling company.
Did KISS ever make the US people boo their own national anthem though? I think not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Sadly this wasn't even a thing unique to Bischoff-era WCW. JCP brought in Iron Sheik but Sheiky Baby was really bad by 1989-ish (and before, really) so they sent him home but promptly forgot he was under contract so they had to pay him 100K when his contract rolled over the next year. 200K or so not to wrestle is, again, nice work if you can get it.

I'm pretty sure WCW also bought plane tickets for EVERYONE on the roster for Nitro tapings, even guys who didn't have matches on the show. Just an astounding waste of money.