Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

closeted republican posted:

Going from Quake 1's huge particle explosions to Quake 2's silly polygon ones was a major step backwards in game explosion technology.

Oddly enough, Quake 3's explosions were old fashioned sprites, the least technically advanced of the three games. Did look good though. The smooth animation was key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
As a kid, I would pride myself on beating every episode of Blood on Extra Crispy, but even then I'd have to turn on loving invisibility, god mode and unlimited ammo just to deal with those scary-rear end gillbeasts. They're so unnerving that I wouldn't even touch the 3"-tall plasticine model of them used to render the sprites. Eugh.

Same with the spiders. I remember finding the mother spider before she saw me, and lobbing all of my saved-up remote detonators towards her so that I could take her out as fast as possible with one button press. Imagine my horror when the bitch just loving bounced off of the wall and catapulted towards me with the force of fifty explosions. To this day I've never mashed Alt F4 harder in my life.

I thought we did find the Quake song using nothing but sound effects? I remember someone might've uploaded it to vocaroo or something. Aagghh the search continues :psyduck:

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

The Kins posted:

I made a mod years ago to fix that (and also to use the higher-bitrate rocket launcher audio from QTEST) but most servers seem to disable custom sounds nowadays...

Did you? I still have the release from when you first posted it on FP and it only has shoot/reload sound.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

I used the 2nd fire of flak cannon pretty much exclusively. I loved lobbing those land-mines into people's faces.

The primary fire mode is loving awesome dude. Great rate of fire, each chunk is quite powerful, and a single shot can gib a man in on shot. Try it out next time you boot up UT99.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I use the Flak Cannon's secondary fire when there's any sort of range, but when you're in shotgun range that's when you use primary.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

catlord posted:

I use the Flak Cannon's secondary fire when there's any sort of range, but when you're in shotgun range that's when you use primary.

That's what I do as well. Works great.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Water creatures in general are frequently creepy. I guess it just triggers that reptile part of your brain that doesn't like confronting things in water. The ichthyosaur from Half-life is the king of this example, but Blood's fishmen fit into this category too.

Daggerfall slaughterfish would like to have a growl :gonk: with you.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Zaphod42 posted:

Anybody have a sample of the old quakeworld startup "Lets get on with the killing!" sound?

Just remembered to finally check and confirm, that it's from bad Wes Craven movie Shocker.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Hi, brother here.

The jump sound is what i was talking about, nothing else. It is very high pitched and feminine in my opinion.

Also, I was probably in elementary school when this game came out so that thought process at the time has been imprinted in my brain. I still hear it today.

Basically, the jump sound does not match the grunts etc. I asked my girlfriend if she agreed, she did not at first then I think she caved to unintended question leaning.

Maybe my ears are bad.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/quake/images/7/73/Plyrjmp8.ogg/revision/latest?cb=20150119101042

That's the sound you're referring to :psyduck:

MONKET posted:

As a kid, I would pride myself on beating every episode of Blood on Extra Crispy

That's something to be proud of no matter how old you are :gonk:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

closeted republican posted:

The primary fire mode is loving awesome dude. Great rate of fire, each chunk is quite powerful, and a single shot can gib a man in on shot. Try it out next time you boot up UT99.

Too busy dropping bouncing betties into people's faces. It never gets old. Sorry but I love my secondary fire!

laserghost posted:

Just remembered to finally check and confirm, that it's from bad Wes Craven movie Shocker.

Oh hey, I did not know that. The more you know! :eng101:

Makes sense its a cheesy movie quote though.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Is there a key or console command to pistol start a level in g/zdoom like there is in prboom+? I keep seeing Dime doing something to do that on his stream and I don't feel like signing up for twitch so that I can ask in chat.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I had to look it up but it was the final "priest" boss of the plasma pak, who turned into a werewolf thing. It sort of looked like a dude in a costume, which seemed to freak me out even more.
That was actually a leftover from a removed gameplay mechanic where Caleb could turn into The Beast and gently caress poo poo up, sort of like what Painkiller eventually had. From the sounds of things, it was removed very late in development because it actually made the game less fun.

Nokiaman posted:

Did you? I still have the release from when you first posted it on FP and it only has shoot/reload sound.
Maybe I added the proper crit sound after releasing it, it's been so long. I'll see about repacking it.

SavageMessiah posted:

Is there a key or console command to pistol start a level in g/zdoom like there is in prboom+? I keep seeing Dime doing something to do that on his stream and I don't feel like signing up for twitch so that I can ask in chat.
"map lumpname" (for example, "map map01" or "map e1m1") in the console will load that level with the default inventory, similar to the IDCLEV cheat.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

SavageMessiah posted:

There's a wad in the OP that allows you to do this, but not in game normally.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

The Kins posted:

"map lumpname" (for example, "map map01" or "map e1m1") in the console will load that level with the default inventory, similar to the IDCLEV cheat.

Hmm, maybe I can somehow alias a map <currentmap> and bind it to a key.

Elliotw2 posted:

There's a wad in the OP that allows you to do this, but not in game normally.

I know, I actually have one that I've made. I'd be happier if it was convenient to pistol start without having to use that sort of thing though.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

SavageMessiah posted:

Hmm, maybe I can somehow alias a map <currentmap> and bind it to a key.
That's what Quake speedrunners do when they're grinding an IL. It's pretty slick to be able to restart with just a single key.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I hate that you can't hit HOME to restart while recording a demo in prboom+

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
If I could be bothered to set up a working compilation environment for gzdoom in windows I would just add a console command to do this, it's appears to be pretty trivial.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
e) ignore

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Alain Post posted:

I hate that you can't hit HOME to restart while recording a demo in prboom+
... Where CAN you do that?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
HOME while playing prBoom+ normally restarts the current level at pistol-start. The problem is that this doesn't work when recording a demo, which means that if you gently caress up, you have to quit and run your .bat listing the PWAD/level/complevel all over again.

(PGUP/PGDOWN in prBoom+ are level skip buttons, by the way. nice shortcut when you're playing a PWAD and the current level blows)

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Alain Post posted:

HOME while playing prBoom+ normally restarts the current level at pistol-start. The problem is that this doesn't work when recording a demo, which means that if you gently caress up, you have to quit and run your .bat listing the PWAD/level/complevel all over again.
Yeah, changing it so you can start a demo without exiting the game in Quake was such a nice convenience. Recording demos in Doom can be a pain in the rear end sometimes.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mak0rz posted:

That's something to be proud of no matter how old you are :gonk:
Blood has a weird glitch where loading a save flips the damage scaling. The enemies hurt you way more on the lowest setting.
http://www.gog.com/forum/blood_series/glitch_damage_scaling_changes_when_loading_fix_inside

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Well then :shepicide:

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Yeah. Doesn't that sound high-pitched compared to the rest of quake guy sounds? Felt very out of place and I still hear it today.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
It absolutely 100% does not. :confused:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

No sarcasm Whitoutmouse, but have you been to a lot of concerts over the years? Or been near constant loud noises? I ask because after a while, your ears can become fatigued to certain frequencies. Granted, it's usually the higher ones that go first, but maybe you're not hearing the same amount of bass and midrange that most of us are hearing.

I bring this up because I can hear a fair bit of high range frequencies in that sound,but not quite enough to hear it as female.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
Just finished Hexen few hours ago. There sure were lot of "where the gently caress do I go" moments.
That goddamn book puzzle in 4th hub. Took me ages to realize what I am supposed to do :argh:

Now onto Hexen:DotDC!

Movac
Oct 31, 2012
Last night I played through the first episode of the first Quake expansion. I was expecting shovelware, but it's surprisingly good. The map styling in ep1 is closer to Quake 2, with more attempts at representing real spaces than Quake's traditional abstract style, but unlike Q2 it's varied and fun to fight in. Some platforming for secrets reminded me of Half-Life, so Hipnotic was ahead of their time in their use of 3D spaces.

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010

Nokiaman posted:

Just finished Hexen few hours ago. There sure were lot of "where the gently caress do I go" moments.
That goddamn book puzzle in 4th hub. Took me ages to realize what I am supposed to do :argh:

Now onto Hexen:DotDC!
Deathkings is just like Hexen, but more of it!

Or at least more of the bad parts. :v:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

SelenicMartian posted:

Blood has a weird glitch where loading a save flips the damage scaling. The enemies hurt you way more on the lowest setting.
http://www.gog.com/forum/blood_series/glitch_damage_scaling_changes_when_loading_fix_inside

Hah, good old Blood.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Bread Pudding posted:

That's basically all of them, except for Darkmere.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Bread Pudding posted:

Deathkings is just like Hexen, but more of it!

Well the village map looks kinda cool mapping wise. I'll see later :v:

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

uncleKitchener posted:

Hah, good old Blood.
That explains a lot, actually. I wonder if on the middle difficulty you're safe, since there's no opposite to go to.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Movac posted:

Last night I played through the first episode of the first Quake expansion. I was expecting shovelware, but it's surprisingly good. The map styling in ep1 is closer to Quake 2, with more attempts at representing real spaces than Quake's traditional abstract style, but unlike Q2 it's varied and fun to fight in. Some platforming for secrets reminded me of Half-Life, so Hipnotic was ahead of their time in their use of 3D spaces.

If you liked episode 1, you're gonna love episode 2. It has some of my favorite Quake 1 maps.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm surprised nobody posted this yet. The Sunlust (Ribbiks + danne megawad) beta is out here.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUBUYWIZUpE

someone has finally completed a full speedrun of plutonia on nightmare, something that wasn't exactly thought of as possible for a while. it is, of course, a world record right now. because no one else has an entry at the very least.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
So, Terminus was streaming a really old version of this tonight... apparently is from Korea? All I know is it's really weird and does things the engine really, REALLY wasn't made to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKjTPovGClw

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

So, Terminus was streaming a really old version of this tonight... apparently is from Korea? All I know is it's really weird and does things the engine really, REALLY wasn't made to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKjTPovGClw

This reminds me of The Mercenaries mod (RE4) that is currently terrible.

Like, really bad.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This reminds me of The Mercenaries mod (RE4) that is currently terrible.

Like, really bad.

Fun to watch how much the (gz)doom engine has been twisted and modelled over the years tho! :magical:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

That's actually kind of amazing. :stare: