Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

palindrome posted:

e: I probably left out some details, I'm mostly watching sports and stupid TV shows from a set top box, I don't think I care about dolby or movie picture quality. should I? Don't own any blu-rays, watching films via streaming or local disk. maybe plex in the future.

Just get a TCL or Hisense and save yourself some money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I hear this is a good TV.

Samsung - 77” Class S89C OLED 4K UHD Smart Tizen TV - $1800 shipped.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...source=narrativ

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Well I got a LG oled. It’s nice after some tweaking (had to turn off some of the motion smoothing stuff that triggers my old man anger). The sound is embarrassingly bad though. I’m guessing they’re doing this on purpose to get you to buy a sound bar? Still.
I have a digital stereo that I can use with it. But the hifi speakers setup is not ideal for such a small room.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

GreenNight posted:

I hear this is a good TV.

Samsung - 77” Class S89C OLED 4K UHD Smart Tizen TV - $1800 shipped.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...source=narrativ

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/s89c-oled

Well I couldnt pass this up with 10% back on the Best Buy CC and 1% back through ebates.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

mrfart posted:

I’m guessing they’re doing this on purpose to get you to buy a sound bar?

Where do you imagine decent speakers could fit in the incredibly slim frame and body of the TV? All modern TVs have poo poo sound, that’s just the trade off for them getting thinner.

Anyway turning off motion smoothing doesn’t make you an old man, just someone with taste.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Butterfly Valley posted:

Where do you imagine decent speakers could fit in the incredibly slim frame and body of the TV? All modern TVs have poo poo sound, that’s just the trade off for them getting thinner.

Anyway turning off motion smoothing doesn’t make you an old man, just someone with taste.

The sound on my Sony OLED is beyond good for apartment life

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Speakers need cabinet volume and 4” or larger drivers to sound good, no room for those on a modern tv [or most soundbars].

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Jokes on them, I was a dumbass who didnt wear hearing protection during concerts so I cant hear poo poo anyways.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so all of a sudden, the bottom right corner of my samsung the frame seems much lighter in color than the rest of the picture.

a) what is this most likely and how can i prove it?
b) is it fixable?

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
Hot take: high end TVs shouldn't have speakers at all. Waste of money. Audio is like half the experience, so using the built in speakers is like putting the cheapest all season tires from Walmart on a Porsche 911.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

TheOneVader posted:

Hot take: high end TVs shouldn't have speakers at all. Waste of money. Audio is like half the experience, so using the built in speakers is like putting the cheapest all season tires from Walmart on a Porsche 911.

Plenty of models have done this over the years, the problem is that you can't legally call it a TV if it doesn't have speakers, so you have to call it a "Monitor" or a "Home Theater Display". Many of the Pioneer Elite Plasmas were monitors.

The trade-off is that you can add lovely speakers for literally $3 in parts cost, and then you can call it a TV.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I appreciate speakers in tvs because if there is no sound is it my receiver or the show I put on Plex.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
All fair points. But I won't stop evangelizing the importance of good sound.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

morestuff posted:

The sound on my Sony OLED is beyond good for apartment life

Yeah, my previous tv also had fairly decent sound, and the bottom part with the speakers on the new one is a bit wider.
But I get that it will never be fantastic. It's just that it seemed to have gotten worse.
Most people also just stick to these speakers and blast the hell out of them.
People just assume it is what it is, and stick to basic settings etc.

About that, when I first turned on the tv, I was shocked at the glare on the screen. I started to panic 'it can't be this bad, I'll have to take it back'. Then I removed the protective plastic film they put on the screen for transport :D
I swear, there is a not insignificant percentage of people watching this tv with that loving film still on it.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

mrfart posted:

About that, when I first turned on the tv, I was shocked at the glare on the screen. I started to panic 'it can't be this bad, I'll have to take it back'. Then I removed the protective plastic film they put on the screen for transport :D
I swear, there is a not insignificant percentage of people watching this tv with that loving film still on it.

You can also peel off a layer off the TV like this lady did. Sorry for the tiktok link.
https://www.tiktok.com/@kumalashstudio/video/7321694144475172127

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Animale posted:

You can also peel off a layer off the TV like this lady did. Sorry for the tiktok link.
https://www.tiktok.com/@kumalashstudio/video/7321694144475172127

Reminds me of my Wacom cintiq screen. It’s scratched up pretty badly from years of drawing and I can’t find out if I’m allowed to remove the layer on top and replace it with a custom one. Wacom doesn’t give any advice because the thing is too old and nobody on the net seems to know.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

With my new TV running 144hz hdmi ports, what's the go to receiver nowadays?

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I just read about OLED burn-in, sounds not very good if I want to use my TV for 7-10 years. Is the burn something to fear? I don't plan on gaming or computing on it so minimal static images. Still makes me want to get a samsung QN90C QLED instead of S90C OLED for example, but they're the same price and the OLED seems better at just about everything other than longevity.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
With normal mixed use the current crop of OLEDs have enough software and tech to mitigate burn-in that you mostly likely won't see any at all over the lifetime of the TV, without specifically looking for it by pulling up solid grey test screens later in its life

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Do not worry about OLED burn-in. It will be fine. You are robbing yourself of a premium experience based on something that is very very very unlikely to happen.

Oshata Hyotesti
Sep 27, 2003
Ultros
LCDs also have longevity issues and if you ask me, they look worse than OLED burnin. Here are some tests from ratings on longevity tests for LEDs and OLEDs - https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/longevity-results-after-10-months

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, LCDs have LED backlights and they can age poorly and throw off quality. There's controller boards that have to manage local dinning (if the TV has it.)

Then you have things like light spreaders that can't drift very far in tolerance before it starts making the backlight uneven.

LCD construction is actually a bit more complex than an OLED panel even if they are cheaper to make.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

speaking of backlight bleeding...

abelwingnut posted:

so all of a sudden, the bottom right corner of my samsung the frame seems much lighter in color than the rest of the picture.

a) what is this most likely and how can i prove it?
b) is it fixable?

given i had the extra allstate insurance from costco, i ended up sending photos and proof to them about my tv. they've now referred me to samsung and one of their techs is coming by next week.

what are the odds they can fix backlight bleed? i'm looking online and it seems unlikely, at best.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Usually you can't. Any flaw in the sandwich is going to need a panel replacement and that's usually as much as the TV.

Generally only the boards are serviceable on TVs.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

thanks for the advice, thread. I went with the LG C3 OLED.

I still have a lovely old comcast coax "TV Box" I rent from them monthly, it seems smart to replace it with something new that I own outright like a cable modem. I don't know where to start looking, or what standards (cablecard) will soon be obsolete.Any suggestions on brands or prices or where to start researching is appreciated.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
https://apple.news/AEA9TzEtgQYaw8XiVZu8VuQ
(What Hi-Fi)

Samsung to start doing to their oled tvs what they've been doing with their lcd and qled lines the last while: using different panel tech for smaller sizes.

quote:

However, on the subject of mixing panels, Samsung is planning an unconventional approach for its upcoming sets. Unlike LG, Panasonic, Sony and Philips – all of which will clearly designate certain panel tech for specific models – Samsung will mix and match panels depending on the size of the TV. This means that TVs that share the same model number won't feature the same OLED panel technology.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

palindrome posted:

thanks for the advice, thread. I went with the LG C3 OLED.

I still have a lovely old comcast coax "TV Box" I rent from them monthly, it seems smart to replace it with something new that I own outright like a cable modem. I don't know where to start looking, or what standards (cablecard) will soon be obsolete.Any suggestions on brands or prices or where to start researching is appreciated.

I would just use a device that gets Youtube TV / Hulu and do internet only comcast. I use an apple tv.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
My brand new Song X90L has slightly darker corners. All four corners are uniformly a tad darker. It's slight enough that I don't really notice unless I intentionally put on a solid bright color screen (I noticed it when running one of those dirty screen test YouTube videos).

Some quick searching says this is fairly common for LEDs. I'm still within the return window with Costco. Is this something worth bothering with a return, or is it likely to be there on a replacement X90L just the same?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
It's your TV, so if it really bothers you you can try to take it back--but some vignetting in the corners like that is a really common characteristic of Sonys (and probably a lot of other brands). The replacement unit is pretty likely to have the same problem (or worse). It's not ideal, but if it's relatively even and symmetrical I would probably just try to live with it. Especially if the rest of the screen is uniform.

Overall screen uniformity is something that I wish current TV models did better. So many units have DSE, banding, strange areas of uneven tint, etc. My plasma was really good in that respect.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 9, 2024

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Well, I talked myself into picking up the 83" C2 at the Best Buy Outlet for $2250. It's probably a little big for my space but I guess I'll figure it out.

Getting delivered tomorrow!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Well, I talked myself into picking up the 83" C2 at the Best Buy Outlet for $2250. It's probably a little big for my space but I guess I'll figure it out.

Getting delivered tomorrow!

What a great price, goddamn. My 77" is also getting delivered tomorrow.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Number_6 posted:

It's your TV, so if it really bothers you you can try to take it back--but some vignetting in the corners like that is a really common characteristic of Sonys (and probably a lot of other brands). The replacement unit is pretty likely to have the same problem (or worse). It's not ideal, but if it's relatively even and symmetrical I would probably just try to live with it. Especially if the rest of the screen is uniform.

Overall screen uniformity is something that I wish current TV models did better. So many units have DSE, banding, strange areas of uneven tint, etc. My plasma was really good in that respect.

Thanks, that's basically what I was looking for. It's so uniform in the 4 corners that it almost looks intentional, and it's slight enough that I usually forget it's there until someone points it out.

The fact that a replacement is likely to have the same is reason enough to avoid the return hassle.

I will say that every other test for DSE, uniformity of color, etc was great. No dead pixels or anything that I can see even looking close. I'd rather not roll the dice on those possible faults with a return, too.

Oshata Hyotesti
Sep 27, 2003
Ultros
Just bought a 83” s90c from Samsung.com for $2205. Deal seamed too good to pass up.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Oshata Hyotesti posted:

Just bought a 83” s90c from Samsung.com for $2205. Deal seamed too good to pass up.

:eyepop:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Got the C2 set up, it's a little big for my space but not too bad. The picture is amazing! However, WebOS and the remote is hot garbage and I think I need another streaming box. Anyone got any favorite ones? I'm not in the Apple ecosystem so I'm not sure if an Apple TV makes sense, unless it's still the best even with that fact. Also looking at the Shield and maybe the Roku ultra? I did like the Android TV on the Sony I just replaced with this C2.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I use android and have Google home stuff and Apple TV is still far and away the best thing to use in my experience

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Yea I picked up an Apple TV, so much better than the WebOS stuff. It's really nice.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Select 2022 LG televisions to receive new WebOS update:

https://apple.news/A7Ru3owQyR4u1MmzhZ1v7kg
(BGR)

quote:

Here are all of the 2022 LG TV models included in the webOS Re:New program:
LG A2
LG B2
LG C2
LG CS
LG G2
LG LX
LG Z2
LG OLED Flex
LG OLED Objet Collection Posé
LG QNED Mini LED 8K (QNED99/95 series) 

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, thread. My crappy 50in Haier is starting to poo poo the bed. When I turned it on the last couple of mornings, the screen was super dim, to the point where I almost couldn't tell it was on. It seems like the backlight might be going? I got the thing like a decade ago for $300 from a local place called Dirt Cheap TV that exclusively sold refurb A/V equipment until it went out of business one day when I blinked. I'm looking to replace the thing with something of at least comparable quality and size. We used that TV mostly for watching shows and movies, as well as playing games on the Switch. The vast majority of the time, it was on as background noise for our dog, who otherwise goes stir crazy if she doesn't have some noise to fall asleep to. We don't have cable; We currently use a Roku for streaming, and we'd be open to getting a Roku TV if they're worth it. Budget-wise, we're looking ~$300, give or take. I see Best Buy has a whole page for TVs under $500.

What would you guys recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, thread. My crappy 50in Haier is starting to poo poo the bed. When I turned it on the last couple of mornings, the screen was super dim, to the point where I almost couldn't tell it was on. It seems like the backlight might be going? I got the thing like a decade ago for $300 from a local place called Dirt Cheap TV that exclusively sold refurb A/V equipment until it went out of business one day when I blinked. I'm looking to replace the thing with something of at least comparable quality and size. We used that TV mostly for watching shows and movies, as well as playing games on the Switch. The vast majority of the time, it was on as background noise for our dog, who otherwise goes stir crazy if she doesn't have some noise to fall asleep to. We don't have cable; We currently use a Roku for streaming, and we'd be open to getting a Roku TV if they're worth it. Budget-wise, we're looking ~$300, give or take. I see Best Buy has a whole page for TVs under $500.

What would you guys recommend?

TCL and Hisense have Roku options.