Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

CatBlack posted:

No, they say they lost it. I will have to cope by buying more 303s
If you're so inclined, you can get one here (https://www.cyclone-analogic.fr/en/accessories/64-adapter.html) for 20 Euros, plus 12 Euros (I think) shipping to the US (assuming you're there), 32 Euros all told. You could also probably make one yourself for way cheaper if you're willing to mess around with that. The main reason I bring it up though is I happened to notice this on the page: "Warning: Last items in stock!" so you may want to act quick if you do want to buy one direct from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i don’t know how donner’s pedals are but they make some killer kebabs

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Speaking of 303s I’ve been playing with my TD-3 and lmao how did anyone in the 80s tolerate this so-called sequencer.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Pollyanna posted:

Speaking of 303s I’ve been playing with my TD-3 and lmao how did anyone in the 80s tolerate this so-called sequencer.

Because this was the alternative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW-sp8meI-Q

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:chloe: I wonder how much of the explosion in musical content in the past 15-20 years is because it’s just so much more accessible and less of an asspain now.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I don't mind the 303 style sequencer :shrug: Maybe I'm just used to it.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

:chloe: I wonder how much of the explosion in musical content in the past 15-20 years is because it’s just so much more accessible and less of an asspain now.

I mean, it was a pretty good sequencer for its time tbh. The same could be said back then - things like the MC-4 meant you could arrange a 4 part piece without needing 3 other people, and you could do it in your bedroom.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah I think it's because of computers.

Isn't like 99% of profesionnal electronic music made on computers today?

I feel like playing with synths, especially analog, is more of a hobby today than an industry standard.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Advances in computing (or maybe more importantly, making it cheap) have blown the doors open on all content creation. Photography, traditional art, music, video, games.. you name it, anyone that can afford a desktop can make stuff. And now more and more of it is happening on mobile devices so it's even more accessible.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Pollyanna posted:

they didn’t. that’s why it sold so poorly and ended up dirt cheap on the used market. and also why the people who pioneered acid house programmed so short phrases on it.

it makes sense if you look at it like a virtual bass guitar like it was intended with the pitch and rhythm disconnected, and a big focus on accents and slides. that doesn’t make it any less of a pain to program mind you but i understand why it is like it is. a midi bass controlling a squelchy mono bass will sound like an acid sequence.

squarepusher’s album selection sixteen is a very good demo of this. i think most if not all of it is composed with a midi bass. he uses bass guitar a lot in general but it gives the record a very cool sound and i think it’s his most underrated one

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Pollyanna posted:

half of the acid 'hits' were made by just pulling the batteries out and getting a random sequence until something sounded cool.

also music equipment may have been more unwieldy in the 80's/90's but better economic conditions and a much more generous welfare state (especially in the UK) meant people had more time to gently caress around with music/art. I think it's no surprise that the huge flowering of music culture in the UK coincides with the 80's era of idle yet decently economically stable youth. But that's a discussion for a different thread.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Yeah I think it's because of computers.

Isn't like 99% of profesionnal electronic music made on computers today?

I feel like playing with synths, especially analog, is more of a hobby today than an industry standard.

Oh for sure. My physical modules are for playing with and messing around on for fun. If I want to make a real y rack, I break out Renoise. My “easier to muck around and find something interesting in a DAW-less setup” experiment did not pan out, honestly, but I’m still a fan of what I got and I’m happy with them!

I suspect part of the recent emphasis on physical modules and DAW-less is because it makes for more interesting youtube videos.

tylertfb posted:

half of the acid 'hits' were made by just pulling the batteries out and getting a random sequence until something sounded cool.

:ssh: honestly a valid composition strategy

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000

Pollyanna posted:

Even though it is pretty clearly marked on the case, I didn't know the TD-3 had a "random" sequence mode until a few weeks ago. Now I'm having tons of fun using it to sequence my afx mode enabled bass station ii.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

RocketMermaid posted:

They have a passive LPG module that's 2hp and super cheap and it rules. Although it does bizarre things if I try to trigger it with my Rampage without sticking a buffered mult between it, something about the impedance between the two being wonky.

Meng Qi is a wonderful madman of a designer, so yeah, there's something else going on there. His collab K-S String modules, the Karp and DU KRPLS, are incredible at what they do. Especially the Karp. That thing's never leaving my rack.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Also a conversation for a different thread, just not sure which one, but the whole dichotomy between professional and amateur and indeed, between producer and consumer, has really blurred. Music was never intended to be a commodity and it hasn't been that long since the days when it wasn't. This has caused a rupture, and into the breach a new class of 'prosumers,' the people Steve Albini was referring to when he said this is the golden age of the amateur. Which I think would also include himself. The synth scene bears the most traits of that, and benefits the most by it.

Let me consult with you guys. What are the dims for a standard euro rack unit? I've never used these before. Is there a depth standard as well? TIA

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Oh for sure. My physical modules are for playing with and messing around on for fun. If I want to make a real y rack, I break out Renoise. My “easier to muck around and find something interesting in a DAW-less setup” experiment did not pan out, honestly, but I’m still a fan of what I got and I’m happy with them!

I suspect part of the recent emphasis on physical modules and DAW-less is because it makes for more interesting youtube videos.

𝅗𝅥𝅘𝅥𝅯♮the happy accident machine ♯♭𝅘𝅥𝅯

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
When it comes to Eurorack I think of it like the manufacturers are the artists and the people who buy modules are patrons of the arts.

The $/music-produced ratio is really poor on modern modular synthesizers, but they are cool and the engineering that goes into them is creative and I want to support that

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

MSPain posted:

When it comes to Eurorack I think of it like the manufacturers are the artists and the people who buy modules are patrons of the arts.

That's always been my feel about VSTs

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Youtube definitely makes it feel that way. There's artists I watch quite a lot of that make thoroughly amazing bloopy grooves with their modular gear, makes you want an album of it. Then you look them up on streaming services and it's extremely poppy stuff that I suppose sells okay because it's "safe" but is nothing that I'm looking for because it's so bland. It's like the vendors send them this gear to demo and drive sales, and then it never actually gets used in production except for maybe mangling a small sample in the DAW.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

No judgement, but the idea that modular synthesizers, eurorack, etc are not primarily tools for writing music for other people to consume is baffling to me. I'm not saying that its not a thing, or even the main driver of eurorack sales in 2022 (in the several versions of this post I've typed and deleted, I've gotten *really* curious about this, actually), but it's an attitude I only ever encounter on the internet, and a relatively new one at that.

Compare to guitars, which I think is a similarly merchandised genre of instruments, there's probably a similar split of players you hear versus players who's audience is exactly 1 - them. How many people in the latter category think of themselves/aspire to be there, versus hoping to get good enough to play with other people/record themselves? Like imagine walking in to guitar center and saying "yeah I'm only ever gonna play scales on this in my bedroom and its gonna kick loving rear end!" - obviously that happens, a lot, but intentionally? Could you imagine a youtube channel of just major scales up and down the neck of various guitars, in the way that people record filter sweeps for Euro stuff? In that world there's a pejorative term (blues dentists) for people who collect 4 digit price tag instruments and then just noodle with them at home. Obviously not the case w/ synthesizers, but why? Is it just it takes more of a base skill level to get listenable sounds out? Something historical?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

xzzy posted:

Youtube definitely makes it feel that way. There's artists I watch quite a lot of that make thoroughly amazing bloopy grooves with their modular gear, makes you want an album of it. Then you look them up on streaming services and it's extremely poppy stuff that I suppose sells okay because it's "safe" but is nothing that I'm looking for because it's so bland. It's like the vendors send them this gear to demo and drive sales, and then it never actually gets used in production except for maybe mangling a small sample in the DAW.

everybody ITT should be listening to hainbach’s released music because all of it loving slaps

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

xzzy posted:

I mean Sturgeon’s Law still applies here and whatever you make still has to be interesting and compelling. It could be that the music being made is less interesting than the recording of it being made.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

JamesKPolk posted:

No judgement, but the idea that modular synthesizers, eurorack, etc are not primarily tools for writing music for other people to consume is baffling to me.

also no judgement, but a lot of people have come to the conclusion that you can get similar results to eurorack stuff in more effort-efficient/money-efficient ways. that isn't true for guitars. if you want to make music that sounds like a guitar, you pretty much need to use a guitar.

note: i like using eurorack stuff. i make my own modules. i have used it in records, but mostly because i think it's fun, not because i think it's the best tool for the job

edit: also note: i am not trying to say you shouldn't use your modular stuff to make recorded music. i am trying to legitimize being a tech fetishist as a cool and fun thing and it's okay if that's your primary interest with synth poo poo (i am definitely in this camp).

MSPain fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 9, 2022

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

There is quite a lot of music being released that is created with modular synthesizers if you look in the right places, obviously it's not going to be pop music or appeal to the people who listen to pop music though.

I think it's more fair to compare some modular to guitar pedals (guitar guys and pedal guys are actually pretty different in practice lol) where the planning of and purchasing the things becomes the primary hobby rather than playing music. Of course then the only content they produce is comparisons of their different purchases. This seems to be a common trap for people with more money than time or who are just unwilling to put in the effort to learn the instrument as well. In turn it results in lots of YouTube pot plant generative ambient because then one purchase can play the other and you just watch!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
you can get an excellent guitar for the price of a single average eurorack module.

the value proposition/investment curve isn’t even close until you’re deep in Blues Lawyer Collector Scum territory

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Generative ambient synthesis music IME is mostly one of two things:

- “making music and especially music people want to listen to is hard and it’d be great if music just made itself so I didn’t have to”
- “haha look at this funny mushroom make bloops”

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Everybody watch this video of a man who has harnessed the power to literally double his productivity in the same amount of time. I really like the placement of him as a double in this video too, it brings a Prisoner-like feeling to the video. Or maybe the end of 2001, A Space Oddysey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpVFpTPZfI

field balm posted:

There is quite a lot of music being released that is created with modular synthesizers if you look in the right places, obviously it's not going to be pop music or appeal to the people who listen to pop music though.

I think it's more fair to compare some modular to guitar pedals (guitar guys and pedal guys are actually pretty different in practice lol) where the planning of and purchasing the things becomes the primary hobby rather than playing music. Of course then the only content they produce is comparisons of their different purchases. This seems to be a common trap for people with more money than time or who are just unwilling to put in the effort to learn the instrument as well. In turn it results in lots of YouTube pot plant generative ambient because then one purchase can play the other and you just watch!

I happen to like a lot of those pot plant generative ambient videos though! Often better than the tabletope with a couple little Korgs and a beatstep anyways. Not that there aren't great ones in each uh genre. I'm partial to krillwave myself. Frankly I don't know anybody who isn't.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

MSPain posted:

edit: also note: i am not trying to say you shouldn't use your modular stuff to make recorded music. i am trying to legitimize being a tech fetishist as a cool and fun thing and it's okay if that's your primary interest with synth poo poo (i am definitely in this camp).

this is asking you to explain probably something that doesn't have an explanation... but how do you separate fetishizing the tech itself versus the tech vis a vis its applications as a musical instrument? I completely get (and am probably guilty of) the latter but am having trouble getting my head around the former.

field balm posted:

we got a live modular performance headlining shambala this year... give it a decade! also what about Random Access Memories

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
unless you’re willing to do a ton of stuff on computer and/or diy your own modules and/or do a bunch of business with Darth Uli and his naughty company—two of which are largely scorned and one of which is inaccessible to most people—you’re spending like four figures just to get to the point where you can make the most basic patches

Pollyanna posted:

Generative ambient synthesis music IME is mostly one of two things:

- “making music and especially music people want to listen to is hard and it’d be great if music just made itself so I didn’t have to”
- “haha look at this funny mushroom make bloops”

when it’s done well, it’s because the artist has a deep understanding of every instrument in their chain and everything has a specific role, rather than the “monkey stick pointy thing in hole, turn knob” approach that a lot of hobbyist stuff seems to have

like a lot of hainbach’s stuff is more-or-less generative ambient, but the dude has an encyclopedic knowledge of collecting and modifying old analog scientific equipment, so it winds up sounding totally different from the software engineer who bought the 20 best-selling/most-recommended modules on various websites and spends one Friday night a month dropping molly and making blippity bloops

but Hainbach also seems to treat his Ciat-Lonbarde stuff like it’s magic so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

petit choux posted:

That's always been my feel about VSTs

Steve Duda, bless his name, made more money with Serum than any music release ever would

Ok Comboomer posted:

everybody ITT should be listening to hainbach’s released music because all of it loving slaps

v. partial to his c45 mixes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IG868673eE

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

unless you’re willing to do a ton of stuff on computer and/or diy your own modules and/or do a bunch of business with Darth Uli and his naughty company—two of which are largely scorned and one of which is inaccessible to most people—you’re spending like four figures just to get to the point where you can make the most basic patches
Really doing it all on your computer is okay. It really is.

quote:

when it’s done well, it’s because the artist has a deep understanding of every instrument in their chain and everything has a specific role, rather than the “monkey stick pointy thing in hole, turn knob” approach that a lot of hobbyist stuff seems to have
Speaking as a highly evolved primate, that is a great way of learning what happens when you stick pointy things in holes. However, there are also programs that relieve you of even that task and you can just veg out.

quote:

like a lot of hainbach’s stuff is more-or-less generative ambient, but the dude has an encyclopedic knowledge of collecting and modifying old analog scientific equipment, so it winds up sounding totally different from the software engineer who bought the 20 best-selling/most-recommended modules on various websites and spends one Friday night a month dropping molly and making blippity bloops

but Hainbach also seems to treat his Ciat-Lonbarde stuff like it’s magic so 🤷🏻‍♂️

He sounds like somebody I'd like. I've only watched videos of his so far.

And those guys that only spend one night dropping molly and making bleep bloops,

:cheers:

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i think hainbach is a good example of the tech-fetishist-first producer. his musical output seems incidental to his rad collection of vintage test equipment and soviet music machines. i don't think anyone would care all that much about his albums if they didn't get to see how they were made. i would bet like 98% of his listenership are synth nerds who found his youtube channel first

again, i don't think there is anything wrong with this. it's just an effect of the rise of the 'prosumer'

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

MSPain posted:

i think hainbach is a good example of the tech-fetishist-first producer. his musical output seems incidental to his rad collection of vintage test equipment and soviet music machines. i don't think anyone would care all that much about his albums if they didn't get to see how they were made.

Sure but also the prototype gear fetishist is Aphex Twin (casually showing off Yamaha GX-1's, Korg PS-3300's, piles and piles of rare, custom, one-off analog fx, mountains of Eurorack, Buchla, Serge, and Synton modular. Loaning out rare EMS gear to his friends, etc), and I don't think we can say people wouldn't care about his albums either way. I think tech/gear fetishism is just a natural state of being for those who produce things with technological tools.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I haven't listened to a ton of it, but I've always found Heinbach's stuff unlistenable. Not for me.

tylertfb posted:

This is what I do with my TD3, just mash Random till something nice pops out and spend an hour putting other synths underneath. Then turn it all off and it's gone forever. Good stuff.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

toadee posted:

Sure but also the prototype gear fetishist is Aphex Twin (casually showing off Yamaha GX-1's, Korg PS-3300's, piles and piles of rare, custom, one-off analog fx, mountains of Eurorack, Buchla, Serge, and Synton modular. Loaning out rare EMS gear to his friends, etc), and I don't think we can say people wouldn't care about his albums either way. I think tech/gear fetishism is just a natural state of being for those who produce things with technological tools.

there's a quote/concept that I am having the worst time googling called "pornographic music" which is where the fetishism of the process of creation takes precedence over the actual piece. I've seen it applied to, say, Malmsteen formal shredding, as much as Hainbach-type experiments (w/ the connotation that it's something to be avoided, as it hpyertargets the appeal of your piece to nerds of a similar inclination). Ricky J's stuff has always felt firmly on the artistic side of the divide to me, even in cases like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57knYEr_deM

which is probably the all time best gear demo ever recorded

e: and the other modular richard, Devine, is another excellent example, though he crosses over fairly regularly (imo)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

ColdPie posted:

I haven't listened to a ton of it, but I've always found Heinbach's stuff unlistenable. Not for me.

This is kind of interesting to me, because I really enjoy his stuff, but have never been able to get into the more dance oriented kinds of electronic tunes.

I like the heavy feel that his stuff has.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

MSPain posted:

i think hainbach is a good example of the tech-fetishist-first producer. his musical output seems incidental to his rad collection of vintage test equipment and soviet music machines. i don't think anyone would care all that much about his albums if they didn't get to see how they were made. i would bet like 98% of his listenership are synth nerds who found his youtube channel first

again, i don't think there is anything wrong with this. it's just an effect of the rise of the 'prosumer'

going to have to check out this guy.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

B33rChiller posted:

This is kind of interesting to me, because I really enjoy his stuff, but have never been able to get into the more dance oriented kinds of electronic tunes.

I like the heavy feel that his stuff has.

That's what makes his music interesting to me. It's catchy but the sounds themselves are just kind of different compared to most synthesizer sounds you hear from other artists. Sometimes it's from very unique gear but other times it's him using a medium in a nonstandard way. The tape stuff isn't new but he uses it in neat ways to me at least.

And just because someone finds an artist through YouTube doesn't mean they're not talented. It's just a different version of people who got into some bands because they read about them in a guitar magazine or something.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

net work error posted:

~snip~ but the sounds themselves are just kind of different compared to most synthesizer sounds you hear from other artists.
Another artist that might fit this kind of feeling for you is Surachai.

ETA: A large part of the appeal I see in modular is the patching process. I get a lot of enjoyment just hooking things together in new (to me) and interesting ways, to see what kind of sounds I can make from it. I don't have dentist level income, but fortunately emulation allows me to build a new synth from scratch every time I sit down, without any extra cost.

Sometimes I'll have too many modules going in vcv rack, not having paid any attention to efficiency, and it will start to glitch. I'll momentarily think, if I made this in hardware, it would just work. Then I start to add up how much that would costs, and remind myself to just be glad my midrange laptop provides as much power as it does.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

petit choux posted:

going to have to check out this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXxI0vVkl18

Gee wiz Hainbach, I'm not even sure if it works!

I hooked up my Digitakt with MIDI to the Volca NuBass, Keys, and the Microfreak.

Wish I had more energy to actually make some music though.