Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Jaaam posted:

Who's Kay and why do people care about her playing Dark Souls if she sucks?

LPer. Did Dark Souls 1, then Dark Souls 2. If you don't care about Let's Play, then feel free to ignore completely. But she doesn't suck, far from it. It's just always a bit frustrating, in a shouting-at-the-television way, when she's so close to solving a puzzle, and yet is missing the one crucial detail to solving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I started a fight club on the iron keep bridge last night. I would summon 3 dark spirits at once, two of them would fight while me and another would spectate and then when one of them died I would go summon a new one. This game is awesome

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Kay is great because she's not a bitter snarky video-game cynic, the internet needs more people enjoying things.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

FW nerf made my shortsword-wielding pyromancer pretty much useless in melee. Went from hitting for ~400 or so against the "average" medium armor wearing victim to ~250 or so. I used to be able to punish estus chugs effectively with a couple of melee swings, now I've got to burn a cast of Forbidden Sun (god help me if I'm out of casts).

It's an indirect buff to ganksquads/panic-summoned phantoms as well since it takes at least 50% longer to kill the host.

lovely loving change that functions as a hard-nerf to "pure" pyromancy characters. Now I've gotta burn SM to level up my stats enough to equip a "better" weapon, which is lovely and annoying and reeks of poor design.

Thanks for nothing FROM.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I still don't like how sconces don't stay lit when moving up a new game plus difficulty level. Now I don't even bother with the torch because there's no point when the fires won't stick around.

If it weren't for the fact that I'm nervous about getting caught for it, I'd definitely cheat for infinite torch time and then just try to run through the whole game with it in my offhand for an entire playthrough. It's lame that there's only a finite amount of torch time per session, even if you don't need to go through all of it.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Is it just me or are some of the giants in the various memories really glitchy at times? I had one speed walk across a courtyard and one-shot me all in under a second. Pretty frustrating.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Cyberventurer posted:

I still don't like how sconces don't stay lit when moving up a new game plus difficulty level. Now I don't even bother with the torch because there's no point when the fires won't stick around.

If it weren't for the fact that I'm nervous about getting caught for it, I'd definitely cheat for infinite torch time and then just try to run through the whole game with it in my offhand for an entire playthrough. It's lame that there's only a finite amount of torch time per session, even if you don't need to go through all of it.

Yeah, when From starts doing anything at all about cheating, they're definitely going to start with the people with 99 hours of torch time, not the ones with 99 in every stat at SM 0.

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?

Necc0 posted:

Is it just me or are some of the giants in the various memories really glitchy at times? I had one speed walk across a courtyard and one-shot me all in under a second. Pretty frustrating.

I had this happen a couple hours ago when I missed the jump to the Grand Lance, although I was in a spot he couldn't reach before I ran off.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

aegof posted:

Yeah, when From starts doing anything at all about cheating, they're definitely going to start with the people with 99 hours of torch time, not the ones with 99 in every stat at SM 0.

When I was toying around in cheat engine earlier, I frequently came across 2 or 3 addresses that always held the values I was searching for, so I assumed that one was meant as a backup or a doublecheck in case the proper one was edited. If they could track and ban based on that, then hacking for infinite torch time would be grouped up with infinite health. :shrug:

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
I've been invaded a few times with sub 3m soul memory by people with suspiciously high HP or spell damage.

See, besides throwing out bans for actively using a memory editor during play for stats freezing, what's to stop people from giving themselves a high level and souls/items in offline mode, restarting in online mode after turning off the editor, and then using that character for pvp? It would be similar to downloading a save file with a prebuilt character to play singleplayer with, which traditionally isn't cheating, as long as there's no fuckery with having infinite hp or something when going online.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Haeleus posted:

I've been invaded a few times with sub 3m soul memory by people with suspiciously high HP or spell damage.

See, besides throwing out bans for actively using a memory editor during play for stats freezing, what's to stop people from giving themselves a high level and souls/items in offline mode, restarting in online mode after turning off the editor, and then using that character for pvp? It would be similar to downloading a save file with a prebuilt character to play singleplayer with, which traditionally isn't cheating, as long as there's no fuckery with having infinite hp or something when going online.

Reaching the soft cap at 50 vigor is perfectly doable at <3m soul memory, and together with the Life Ring +2 that would put them at around 2400 HP. If they have way more than that, I guess cheating is a possibility, but if you actively focus on making a pvp character you can definitely get some highly damaging spells together with high HP at that soul memory.

Regarding anti-cheat, I'm perfectly fine with them at least making it harder to cheat. I feel like simply forcing you to go offline to cheat would deter at least some people, since it seems to require zero effort as it is now.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Cyberventurer posted:

When I was toying around in cheat engine earlier, I frequently came across 2 or 3 addresses that always held the values I was searching for, so I assumed that one was meant as a backup or a doublecheck in case the proper one was edited. If they could track and ban based on that, then hacking for infinite torch time would be grouped up with infinite health. :shrug:

I think there are three values because one is quantity while the other two are item ID. I could be wrong however, I know jack poo poo about those kind of things.

While talking about it, I want to hack myself 99 cracked red eye orbs but I'm still reluctant even if From ain't doing poo poo. :(

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 3, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think the message system in this game is genuinely great. There are a lot of things I would of missed if I didn't read the messages scattered about. Yeah a lot of them are useless but some can be genuinely helpful now that you aren't so limited in what you can say.

Others are just funny. I will never get tired of skeleton messages.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Others are just funny. I will never get tired of skeleton messages.
My favorite one was a message I found beside the skeleton caked into the wall in The Lost Bastille.

"Don't give up, skeleton!" :allears:

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.

Jordbo posted:

Reaching the soft cap at 50 vigor is perfectly doable at <3m soul memory, and together with the Life Ring +2 that would put them at around 2400 HP. If they have way more than that, I guess cheating is a possibility, but if you actively focus on making a pvp character you can definitely get some highly damaging spells together with high HP at that soul memory.

Regarding anti-cheat, I'm perfectly fine with them at least making it harder to cheat. I feel like simply forcing you to go offline to cheat would deter at least some people, since it seems to require zero effort as it is now.

I was talking more about repeatedly hitting an invader with a Mace +10 at 50+ STR and only damaging them for what seems to be 1-4% of their life per swing, or sometimes not even causing a dent (either insanely high HP or its frozen I suppose).

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Forget dumb Praise the Sun!!!!! messages everywhere. The new motto should be Skeleton?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I think the best messages I found were two of them near a chest in the Shrine of Amana. One was "secret passage ahead", clearly referring to a crack in the wall that was impossible to get through. Then, right before the crack, "give it up, fatty."

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I never get bored of trying wheels.

Once after killing the Pursuer I had a poignant moment. Right in front of the Giant tree I wrote "silence... but comfort?" 9 people agreed, apparently.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

VisAbsoluta posted:

While talking about it, I want to hack myself 99 cracked red eye orbs but I'm still reluctant even if From ain't doing poo poo. :(

If orbs can still be dropped (I'm not at home to check), one of us with tons of them could just drop you some :)

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

i guess my main complaint about the message system is that they are made by humans and sometimes humans don't say things i like .(

Skeleton messages are rad, though! And illusory walls, because whoah, there are a lot of illusory walls compared to the first game! I would never have found out about the five illusory walls by the Ruin Sentinels.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Haeleus posted:

I was talking more about repeatedly hitting an invader with a Mace +10 at 50+ STR and only damaging them for what seems to be 1-4% of their life per swing, or sometimes not even causing a dent (either insanely high HP or its frozen I suppose).

If you're literally doing no damage they have infinite health. If you're doing very little damage it's them stacking defense. Get to a high level and put on fully upgraded medium armor and you gain insane physical damage reduction.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Control Volume posted:

I think the best messages I found were two of them near a chest in the Shrine of Amana. One was "secret passage ahead", clearly referring to a crack in the wall that was impossible to get through. Then, right before the crack, "give it up, fatty."

My personal favorite was a series of messages in Drangleic Castle about a labyrinth ahead in the King's Gate bonfire. So I steel myself and open the door. Inside the tiny, empty room was nothing but the message "horse but hole".

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

The Gorp posted:

Blame poise being awful. If you stagger in one hit, you might as well use a fast poking weapon.
Poise would fix this but cause other problems so big weapons are mostly for people who want a challenge.

It also isn't helped by the high amounts of latency, which makes the essential timing required to use them effectively even more lost. You essentially have to run right up into an opponents face to guaranteed you get the hit, and I am finding many times they simply roll into it and immediately hit me while i'm waiting for the animation to finish.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Messages can be awesome but goddamn there must be a lot more teenagers playing this game considering how many identical chest- or but hole-related messages there are in every single area. Probably 1/4 of the messages I see on some days, which has kind of worn out my patience for them.

I don't think the condescending messages to skeleton will ever get old though.

I have no idea why "wheel" is even a message (and in Body Parts of all places) but it means there's usually wonderful messages around Gavlan.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I have no idea why "wheel" is even a message (and in Body Parts of all places) but it means there's usually wonderful messages around Gavlan.

:colbert:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Messages can be awesome but goddamn there must be a lot more teenagers playing this game considering how many identical chest- or but hole-related messages there are in every single area. Probably 1/4 of the messages I see on some days, which has kind of worn out my patience for them.

I don't think the condescending messages to skeleton will ever get old though.

Keep telling yourself that only teens would leave dumb messages like that.

Wheel is probably in because of the bone wheels.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

If you don't enjoy "horse, but hole" messages, you have no soul.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I think the juvenile messages have generally overstayed their welcome, but after a boss I got a "nice job but hole" that I couldn't help but laugh at.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Oh my god, I never realized that the broken statues in the Gutter were sconces. I thought the poo poo sticking out of the top of them was like re-bar or something.

I am an idiot. :cripes:

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Alright, times of avoiding the forums are over since I've beaten the game. Time for NG+ :v:

I wish the death counter separated PvP deaths from PvE. And would show my deaths without disconnecting Steam. Still, probably nearly 100 deaths were to the Ancient Dragon. What a loving awful boss.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I think it's time for a "git gud" playthrough. I think I cheesed too much of the game in other playthroughs.

My conditions:
Covenant of Champions almost always, particularly for new areas/bosses. If effigies get rare I may start dropping out to small white sign back my humanity.
The only form of ranged damage I'm allowing myself is pyromancy. No lightning spears, no hexes, no poison arrows or spells. Other spells are okay!
Always Fashion Souls.
I'm trying to figure out a good way of ripping out strike damage too, so it's not just a Mace/Club run. Caestuses(caesti?) are great though, they get an exception. Maybe I can only use strike-type weapons on bosses, mooks have to eat slash/thrust.

Anything else I should add? Some sort of shield restriction, I suppose, so it's not Drangleic shield all the way through... Perhaps no 100% physical shields?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Grayshift posted:

I think it's time for a "git gud" playthrough. I think I cheesed too much of the game in other playthroughs.

My conditions:
Covenant of Champions almost always, particularly for new areas/bosses. If effigies get rare I may start dropping out to small white sign back my humanity.
The only form of ranged damage I'm allowing myself is pyromancy. No lightning spears, no hexes, no poison arrows or spells. Other spells are okay!
Always Fashion Souls.
I'm trying to figure out a good way of ripping out strike damage too, so it's not just a Mace/Club run. Caestuses(caesti?) are great though, they get an exception. Maybe I can only use strike-type weapons on bosses, mooks have to eat slash/thrust.

Anything else I should add? Some sort of shield restriction, I suppose, so it's not Drangleic shield all the way through... Perhaps no 100% physical shields?

Don't use a shield at all. Rush to the Lost Bastille, pick up the parrying dagger, equip it in your left hand, never take it off, become gud :getin:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Grayshift posted:

My conditions:
Always Fashion Souls.

no spells at all, always parry with the parrying dagger, dodge instead of tanking hits.
enjoy

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Grayshift posted:

My conditions:
Always Fashion Souls.

Only use a parry shield (if you use a shield at all) and never block. Use Dex weapons to the exclusion of anything else (save for the Caestus, that's fine.)

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Problem with the parrying dagger is you're not using whip+rapier.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

I just started an SL 1 run a few days ago, and I'm having a surprising amount of fun with it. It probably helps that my character looks amazing. I got a pair of Gyrm Boots from the very first anvil flail guy I backstabbed to death, and I'm never taking them off ever. The only thing that could improve them is a jean shorts texture mod.

Oh, and he's a hideous beautiful multicolored monstrosity. I forgot to mention that.

Are any of the one-handed weapons in an SL 1 decent at all? My Raw Mace +10 is rocking things handily, but having to switch between one-handing and two-handing all the time is annoying, even if I shouldn't be blocking at all with my lovely blue shield. I've got a Mundane Dagger +3 that's excellent for backstabbing things, but useless for anything else. Maybe a Broken Straight Sword would be decent, if only for carrying a resin buff? It barely consumes any stamina to swing. And I could even power stance them!!!!!

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Kaubocks posted:

My favorite one was a message I found beside the skeleton caked into the wall in The Lost Bastille.

"Don't give up, skeleton!" :allears:

There's a skeleton in harvest valley that has the side of its head pressed against the ground. "Listen carefully, skeleton!"

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

kazil posted:

Keep telling yourself that only teens would leave dumb messages like that.

I am 35.

I encounter a pretty even mix of useful messages, useless messages, and stupid messages.
Seems just right to me.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TheRagamuffin posted:

There's a skeleton in harvest valley that has the side of its head pressed against the ground. "Listen carefully, skeleton!"

I wrote that exact message once or twice and will write it on every character that passes by the skeleton.

I also make sure I have a "nice job, monster..." in the back of the pig alley in Majula :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I'm so proud

virgin bloodbros, what a sick burn