Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

im reading austerlitz by wg sebald now, its pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Out of Inherent Vice, V and Bleeding Edge which Pynchon is the easier read.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

V just because it's less boring than inherent vice

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Idaholy Roller posted:

Out of Inherent Vice, V and Bleeding Edge which Pynchon is the easier read.

Inherent Vice.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I've never found V to be "easy" at all, that's one reason I've never finished it (gasp! shame!)

IV is much easier because it sticks to one pastiche instead of mangling everything together like the big novels do.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

I've never found V to be "easy" at all, that's one reason I've never finished it (gasp! shame!)

IV is much easier because it sticks to one pastiche instead of mangling everything together like the big novels do.

I also think it's consistently his funniest book, and the most emotionally straightforward, both in the sense of stepping on the rose tinted glasses of America's late-60's/early 70's, and with the arcs of the central characters. Plus, a lot of the ideas it's critiquing having become even more relevent since it's publication.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
I am getting really into Doris Lessing's The Golden Notebook and I'm pleasantly surprised by that. I'm enjoying every aspect, from the layered story to the complexity and humanity of the characters. They're all unlikable, but they're all just stumbling along and figuring it out. There seem to be quite a few parallels for the online leftist culture with this story.

Really, it's just a drat good book and I'm not even halfway through it yet.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Revisiting translation chat: Is there a consensus on which versions (in English) of In Search of Lost Time are the ones to read? It's kind of weird to me that all the Penguin Classics versions were translated by different folks. Project Gutenberg has the first two volumes translated by C. K. Scott Moncrief but none of the latter five. I don't even really know if there have been a lot of translations to choose among even.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i'm waiting anxiously for the Lydia Davis version of swann's way to finally come out in paperback or kindle

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

It's out in paperback, I have a copy, do you want it? Anyway, I read it the first time in the revised Moncrieff and it was one of the best experiences of my life. But I don't read French, so what the hell do I know?

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

As a native speaker, I've read some of the revised Moncrieff translations and some passages from Davis and they both seemed fine. Proust isn't actually that hard to translate compared to most 20th century lit tbh; his grammar and syntax are exactingly correct and most of the effect of his prose comes from the broader rhythm of a paragraph or chapter rather than specific word-to-word sonorities. As long as the more glaring liberties in the original Moncrieff editions are corrected I don't think one option is overwhelmingly weaker than the other

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

PatMarshall posted:

It's out in paperback, I have a copy, do you want it? Anyway, I read it the first time in the revised Moncrieff and it was one of the best experiences of my life. But I don't read French, so what the hell do I know?

what! why can't i find it for sale anywhere? and yes if youre serious haha

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

derp posted:

i'm waiting anxiously for the Lydia Davis version of swann's way to finally come out in paperback or kindle

It's been in paperback for years? I've never even seen it in hardcover. Here's a page for it.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I started with the Penguin translations but ended up enjoying the Moncrieff-Kilmartin-Enright more. Also I cant recommend the book Paintings in Proust enough as a complementary to reading the books. It's very nice to see all the paintings he's talking about.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

It's been in paperback for years? I've never even seen it in hardcover. Here's a page for it.

Oh wild. that one never showed up in my searches for lydia davis for some reason, and whenever i see it on amazon it shows pedegrasts name first so i thought he was the translator. sheesh i guess i didn't look that hard lol. thanks

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

For sure, happy to send it to you if you want, just dm me your address.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Got my hands on advance review copies of the two new Cormac McCarthy novels. Coming up on the halfway point of The Passenger and I'll briefly say: A) the loving king is back; B) if, like me, you believe McCarthy's masterpiece is Suttree, I have a feeling you'll be in heaven.

On a similar note, Krasznahorkai's A Mountain to the North... is characteristically excellent.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Criminal Minded posted:

Got my hands on advance review copies of the two new Cormac McCarthy novels. Coming up on the halfway point of The Passenger and I'll briefly say: A) the loving king is back; B) if, like me, you believe McCarthy's masterpiece is Suttree, I have a feeling you'll be in heaven.

I'm desperately angry and jealous. Damnit

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Criminal Minded posted:

On a similar note, Krasznahorkai's A Mountain to the North... is characteristically excellent.

oh man, can't wait for this. didn't realize it was an older book of his but i will take everything of his i can get.

looking forward to herscht 07769 whenever it comes out in english (no date yet that i can find)

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

thehoodie posted:

oh man, can't wait for this. didn't realize it was an older book of his but i will take everything of his i can get.

looking forward to herscht 07769 whenever it comes out in english (no date yet that i can find)

I literally google updates on translation release dates of Herscht 07769 once a week, cannot loving wait.

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 19, 2022

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Also, mdemone, my local used store has a first edition of Gravity's Rainbow that was re-bound (hardcover) for a library in the 70s on its shelves for like $115, dunno if that's something that interests you but I pick it up every time I'm in there.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Criminal Minded posted:

Also, mdemone, my local used store has a first edition of Gravity's Rainbow that was re-bound (hardcover) for a library in the 70s on its shelves for like $115, dunno if that's something that interests you but I pick it up every time I'm in there.

Mind PMing me that store's number, if you can find it? I'd love to talk to them about it

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

mdemone posted:

Mind PMing me that store's number, if you can find it? I'd love to talk to them about it

Yeah, no problem! My favorite store, besides having the best selection in town they have two adorable black cats just hanging out.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Criminal Minded posted:

Yeah, no problem! My favorite store, besides having the best selection in town they have two adorable black cats just hanging out.

Where is this so I can plan my next vacation around it?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Where is this so I can plan my next vacation around it?

The Book House in St. Louis! The cats are, adorably, named Gatsby and Zelda.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Goddamnit I hate having to defend Salinger because it's the same bullshit every time: "Holden is awful! He's whiny! He treats women badly!"

NO poo poo.

https://twitter.com/SlaylerJ/status/1560768473134796800?s=20&t=bFManL50IQji8q8GqJ0Dpg

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

mdemone posted:

Goddamnit I hate having to defend Salinger because it's the same bullshit every time: "Holden is awful! He's whiny! He treats women badly!"

NO poo poo.

https://twitter.com/SlaylerJ/status/1560768473134796800?s=20&t=bFManL50IQji8q8GqJ0Dpg

https://twitter.com/SketchesbyBoze/status/1560676697304813573?t=1Wv5TbA971LDhJ6h8am56g&s=19

It kills me this is a thing that needs to be stated to people. It really does.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The review is pretty funny because Holden is a bitch but then she's out there retweeting stuff like "I haven't even read this dumb book but this review is all I need!" and saying everyone who disagrees is "defending Holden's behavior" and it is pretty grim

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Guy A. Person posted:

The review is pretty funny because Holden is a bitch but then she's out there retweeting stuff like "I haven't even read this dumb book but this review is all I need!" and saying everyone who disagrees is "defending Holden's behavior" and it is pretty grim

I'm trying to stop engaging with it but for some reason this one really loving got to me

Edit: Catcher isn't even one I would call a personal favorite. I enjoyed it as a teen for the same reasons every kid does, then I appreciated it much more deeply when I read it after being a father, and now it's just like, okay yes that Book was actually Good like everybody said it was. Probably won't re-read it. I liked the Seymour stuff better, then again it's quite a bit darker.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 20, 2022

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Reminds me once again of the William Gass essay where he basically says "classics are classics for a reason, and if you totally fail to see it, that's your fault".

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Criminal Minded posted:

The Book House in St. Louis! The cats are, adorably, named Gatsby and Zelda.
I feel spoiled by how many secondhand book stores are around here. The Book House, Dunaway, Left Bank, multiple Half Prices and V-Stocks. RIP Patten.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I feel spoiled by how many secondhand book stores are around here. The Book House, Dunaway, Left Bank, multiple Half Prices and V-Stocks. RIP Patten.

Ugh so lucky. The closest bookstore to me is B&N 45 minutes away so...I deal with Amazon and ebay.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the part in Austerlitz where A talks about his time rediscovering his family's life and fate in czhechia is some heavy stuff :smith:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

mdemone posted:

Reminds me once again of the William Gass essay where he basically says "classics are classics for a reason, and if you totally fail to see it, that's your fault".

I don't think it's something you have to feel bad about — sometimes a book just isn't for you — but it's better to just admit that something didn't hit you because your circumstances are different rather than assume that people were just dumb for two hundred years straight.

At least, unless it's really bad. But generally you can't understand why something is bad unless you also understand why it's good, which is why threads that turn into mockthreads inevitably go to poo poo.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

TheWorldsaStage posted:

https://twitter.com/SketchesbyBoze/status/1560676697304813573?t=1Wv5TbA971LDhJ6h8am56g&s=19

It kills me this is a thing that needs to be stated to people. It really does.
most people are really stupid and literature is wasted on them

Segue
May 23, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

B) if, like me, you believe McCarthy's masterpiece is Suttree, I have a feeling you'll be in heaven.

gently caress yes, this is the correct opinion.

Halfway through Black Lamb, Grey Falcon and it's a beautifully written depiction of a wonderfully bigoted rich Englishwoman traipsing through the Balkans.

If you want the liberalest of 1940s takes and extrapolations of entire people from the behaviour of one person, but also mixed with wonderfully catty royal history and incredible scene-setting this is your book.

It's as much a portrait of West as the Balkans and entertaining as hell.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I’ve been reading McCarthy in the promise of his new works. I read the border trilogy and while i liked it, I had to take a break for on him for my sanity’s sake. I was not expecting a book called “all the pretty horses” to have such an explicit knife fight.

I didn’t k ownsutteee was so good. Maybe I’ll give that a try.

Also please email a copy of those books plz k thx.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

mdemone posted:

William Gass is so cool.

The Pederson kid is up there as my favourite short story ever, and his introduction to The Recognitions is one of my favourite forwards ever.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Started reading The Three Musketeers. It's very funny so far and the book directly compares d'Artagnan to Don Quixote, and appropriately enough he rides into town on the shittiest horse and gets beaten with sticks within the first few pages so that tracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Heath posted:

Started reading The Three Musketeers. It's very funny so far and the book directly compares d'Artagnan to Don Quixote, and appropriately enough he rides into town on the shittiest horse and gets beaten with sticks within the first few pages so that tracks

Yeah lol it's like a little bow to the tradition