Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Spoilers, but trigger warning

https://twitter.com/bobvids/status/1354461495808192514?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sad question
May 30, 2020

Such edginess always reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPS5mCU9v8U&t=95s
start at 1:35.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Bloober, why am I not surprised

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
I've only ever found Bloober's games to be unwieldy and dull, so the Medium didnt even really register for me. But I've since found out that Yamaoka is doing the score and that they drew on SA's favourite gloom-artist Beksinski as inspiration for the 'spirit-world' and that it uses old-school camera angles and that it looks pretty got-dang beautiful and so now I'm definitely going to give it a go.

I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the edginess, the game is set in Poland and its about someone who can talk to dead people so the holocaust doesnt seem arbitrary enough to qualify as 'gamer-edgy'. Until I find out otherwise I'm going to assume they deal with all that with the gravitas and sensitivity it warrants.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Themes of genocide and explicit sexuality are very relevant to Beksinski's work, but the particulars of those themes are left intentionally devoid of any context apart from the lived experiences shared between the artist and observer. This necessitates that the artwork be interpreted through the individual lens, becoming far more personal and resonant than it might be if its meaning had been spelled out to the viewer a priori. This approach to individual perspective is herein what makes the visuals so powerful, but you know what would make his paintings even better? How about if you could run away from a big loving monster through them?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm willing to believe that there's some schlocky and bad writing in this horror game but I also am familiar with the pattern of out-of-context, attention-seeking twitter posts surrounding the release of every new media product in existence. So I will simply have to See It For Myself.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
And Re. RE chat. RE 7 is my favourite of all them, though I played it as someone in their late thirties so it didnt carve for itself the kind of thick neural pathways in my head that RE1 did back as I played it in the 90's as a teen.

That said, its my favourite because of how constrained the setting is. It's the perfect haunted house and I played it intensely until I got out of that house, at which point the game made the unfortunate choice of continuing and I bounced almost instantly off of it. RE8 looks as beautiful and immersive but the idea of exploring out through a village just seems inherently less compelling to me than the way in which RE7 had you exploring down and around this nondescript murder-shack in the woods. I loving love the house in RE7, and I think that trailer in the backyard is the most comfy safe-room out of all the safe-rooms in any of the games.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I really did not like the story in 7. Ethan sucks, Mia sucks, Zoe is good but leads to the worse ending. Lucas could have been good but then they kill him off. Evaline really sucks and the grandma twist was really bad too.

Jack was great though, the worst thing about the game was that they pushed him out the way so fast.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I want a raid mode where I can play as Jack and also Joe.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Horror might be the wrong genre for these folks

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Carmant posted:

Horror might be the wrong genre for these folks

Outlast 2 fan detected, deploy the suppression bots

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Medium's hardly an edge case in PC optimization these days. I'm running a rig with a Ryzen 7 and a 2080, and a lot of modern AAA games still drop their frames by half if I move my mouse too fast, and turning down settings often doesn't change performance. I recently bought Control and I'm genuinely surprised to have smooth camera turning when the action gets hot while I've got RTX and such set to higher-to-max settings. On the flip side, I played through Outer Worlds (fantastic game), and there were moments where the game would stutter when I was moving around empty rooms no matter what settings I had.

I thought I had installed my parts wrong, but I've talked to non-frothy PC gamers with similar setups who say they have the same problems.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Played The Medium for about an hour and I think reports of needing a 3080 just to hit 60fps at 1080p have been somewhat exaggerated. With a 5600x + 3080 I'm seeing between 70-90fps at 1440p with all highest settings, RTX forced on, DLSS at high quality. It did dip into the 45-50 range for scenes with the two simultaneous screens rendering side-by-side, however. The biggest annoyance I've experienced so far is that there's a pretty persistent hitch in frame pacing, which has already been pointed out by DigitalFoundry in their X-Box deep dive, most noticeable when there's a quick screen wipe. I'll see what I can do about that but otherwise it seems pretty okay.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Put 6 hours in today myself and aside from one area in particular that dropped me to single digit FPS in certain spots (using a 2060) overall game runs pretty well even on high settings. There is one kinda of weird visual issue I'm not sure is a graphics issue or intended in the game. Considering the weird pop-in overlay it's probably a graphics issue and I'm not really sure what causes it.

As for actual gameplay... I like it! The aesthetics are fantastic and nothing gameplay wise overstays its welcome overall. That said The Medium falls into the category of "You'll get just as much out of watching someone play it as you will playing it yourself" to me. I may change my mind once I complete the game however.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I played the Medium today as well. My system isn't the most optimized, but I can play about the equivalent of what a Xbox One X would run for the most part if not better. Medium I can run at Ultra settings at 30 FPS and low running at 60-90 until the split screen gimmick. Game takes HUGE pulls from old school, fixed camera angles, tank controls, etc, setting it in '99 was a nice touch to add to it. I got frustrated in the first few hours dealing with some of the items not popping because I've been babied by the last decade of pointing everything out, but when I literally ran right by one thing and it didn't trigger cause the camera didn't shift, in a huge area, sucked. The shifting gimmick I feel could've been a lot better had it not been split screen, I know why it's there, but from all I've seen it makes the whole game for everyone dip in performance, and really, you only need to be paying attention to one side of it when the shift occurs so there's not really a point.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Apparently they patented their “innovative” play-through-two-maps-at-once technology, definitely not something done years ago by a better studio in a better game.

Figures that the guys who made their name on a game about the ~spooky public domain~ would become patent trolls at the first opportunity

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Uhhh what was that game?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Dishonored 2

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I, uh, apparently never got to that point :aaa:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

I, uh, apparently never got to that point :aaa:

You’re missing out. It’s the same tech they used for the Looking Glass stuff in Prey, it’s absolutely wild.

Forgot abt that one!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Basic Chunnel posted:

You’re missing out. It’s the same tech they used for the Looking Glass stuff in Prey, it’s absolutely wild.

drat, guess I know what's going back on list.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm gonna probably upset someone but I'll just say that I didn't like that map in Dishonored 2. I think it is conceptually cool but I'll be real that I was kind of exhausted by Dishonored 2 and was really sick of collecting runes and bonecharms and poo poo as my only motivator for map exploration and that whole time travel system just made the level feel twice as big so I was really sick of it by the end.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Glagha posted:

I'm gonna probably upset someone but I'll just say that I didn't like that map in Dishonored 2. I think it is conceptually cool but I'll be real that I was kind of exhausted by Dishonored 2 and was really sick of collecting runes and bonecharms and poo poo as my only motivator for map exploration and that whole time travel system just made the level feel twice as big so I was really sick of it by the end.

:same: it was a good idea, but I often found myself running in circles looking for the one pice of fallen masonry that would lead me to the next area when I jumped backward. It was a lot less dynamic than I would have liked.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Turns out everyone’s just been ripping off Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver for the past 20 years.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Turns out everyone’s just been ripping off Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver for the past 20 years.

Sadly they didn't rip off the good voice actors

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Kind of hard to, what with Tony Jay being dead and all.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

SkeletonHero posted:

Still?!

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

SkeletonHero posted:

The real crime is having Simon Templeman voicing background characters in WoW. He's literally a vampire NPC for an Inn. Blizz knew what they were doing, and it's still sad.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It seems like you fell for the bitter taste of that terrible illusion: hope.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

:same: it was a good idea, but I often found myself running in circles looking for the one pice of fallen masonry that would lead me to the next area when I jumped backward. It was a lot less dynamic than I would have liked.

Yeah it's a cool concept but it's definitely better executed in Titanfall 2. The part where you need to jump back and forth in time while falling through the vents to avoid getting mulched by a fan blade is insanely cool.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Medium is not really doing the same thing those games are. It’s definitely a gimmick and I won’t say it is hugely successful given the sheer amount of rendering power it requires for most people, but I do think those sequences are pretty effective for a horror game. It gives the whole thing a somewhat unique vibe overall.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I just want someone to play Friday the 13th with on Xbox...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't think The Medium's split screen gimmick is any harder on the GPU since the pixel count is identical. If anything it's most stressful on your memory and to a lesser extent the CPU. Regardless it's not optimized very well, although reports of needing an RTX 3080 just to play the game at 60fps at 1080p are way overblown.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I haven't had any resolution issues running on high on a 2080, but I have had some issues just with bad animation rigging. The worst so far was pulling the sheet over the thing at the start which completely desynched and went all over the place, and some sections freak out for a second or so when you load into them.

I'm glad that Medium preserved the silent hill tradition of half the game being the main character clutching their heads.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 30, 2021

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I’m curious what they’re doing and why they felt the need to patent it. Assuming they’re still using Unity my guess is they have one scene with two cameras that render two separate objects by layer.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The patenting of game mechanics is a death knell for indie gaming and, frankly, good AAA gaming. Innovation in games is never a spontaneous thing, it’s a dialogue between games that is antithetical to patent. An easy thought experiment you can try at home is think of a famous game from your childhood, imagine that they’d patented the most basic and exciting mechanic, and extrapolate what games could not have been made as a result.

It’s all the more galling because Bloober team are, and I say this with no exaggeration, the least innovative company in gaming. Which is loving saying something. They’re now the most cynical, as well.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Spare a thought for poor Namco who patented loading screen minigames then everyone decided to get rid of loading entirely

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I read the patent and it’s some vague bullshit. My suggested method of two cameras rendering separate layers is non infringing but if Bloober raised a stink the burden of proof is on me which means money I don’t have and that’s kind of the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Watched the first hour of The Medium, and more than anything else it's giving me serious Syberia/Still Life, early-aughts The Adventure Company vibes. I guess that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's much more dull than I'd expect from something that's making PC towers chug, poo poo themselves and catch fire.