Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

El Grillo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McJgSVJQGG8
Braben on stream.

e: he also did an AMA earlier, and it's kind of a fascinating insight into the problems with the game: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/64pp4c/ask_him_anything_david_braben_obe_fdev_ceo/?sort=top
If you have a look down he repeatedly says "XXX features doesn't have enough people playing it so we're not going to improve it". Which is crazy backwards logic.

"Would be nice, maybe in the future."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Space Skeleton posted:

This is probably the most important thing in the patch notes to make sure you don't miss:

• Changed the exponent of the curve used for shield resistance from power distributor pips to make it less harsh. 0 and 4 pips are unchanged, middle values now have a higher damage resistance. Specifically changed from 2->0.85, which means that 2 pip has an increased damage resistance from 15%->33% (0 pip stays at 0%, 4 pip stays at 60%). This change means that the TTL (Time To Live) increase of each additional half-pip is approximately the same, rather than almost nothing to start and spiking up towards the end, hopefully allowing players to use setups other than 4-SYS with less penalty. Does not affect CQC ships

Four pips or none for lyfe. :colbert:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Sandro's on the stream now, if any of y'all want to yell at him to get fired and die because he nerfed your favorite exploit

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Trustworthy posted:

Sandro's on the stream now, if any of y'all want to yell at him to get fired and die because he nerfed your favorite exploit

:nallears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
loving FINALLY, I got a dev to read my :love: Zemina Torval Romance CG :love: suggestion out loud on a livestream

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Nice mmmm:nallears::nallears:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I've never successfully completed any planet based mission and have lost over 70 million trying.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
2.3 going live in 5 minutes...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

2.3 is live!

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
gently caress yeah, I'm finally get to play 2.3 after a mere 11 hours of downloading :dance:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Trustworthy posted:

gently caress yeah, I'm finally get to play 2.3 after a mere 11 hours of downloading :dance:

nice etc

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Trustworthy posted:

Though I have no doubt there'll be a couple of minor revision patches to wait for until things are all stable and unbroken... At least I can play with the face maker until then :o:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Ship nameplates on the store, $3 a pack :homebrew:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Ship nameplates on the store, $3 a pack :homebrew:

Already threw 'em a tenner. Can't wait to screenshot all my dumb little adventures including nameplates, created character, and the new camera. :unsmith:

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

So they patched Quice or is there another exploit to become rich in space bux with?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Trustworthy posted:

Already threw 'em a tenner. Can't wait to screenshot all my dumb little adventures including nameplates, created character, and the new camera. :unsmith:

Sorry guys, this is not okay. Elite looks like a free to play game now, which it isn't. Just my two cents - a concerned CMDR.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Sorry guys, this is not okay. Elite looks like a free to play game now, which it isn't. Just my two cents - a concerned CMDR.

Considering the need for a nameplate on my ship is an absolute gameplay requirement for everyone to see on my several thousand kly trips to nowhere, I agree, the game is pay2win.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I assume the default nameplate is in comic sans or something?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Phuzun posted:

So they patched Quice or is there another exploit to become rich in space bux with?

It seems like you can stack 4 scan missions and then it simply fails to populate the board with any more scan missions.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Why the hell does the Orbis in Maia have no shipyard? :mad:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Source your brown sea quotes please.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

adamantium|wang posted:

Why the hell does the Orbis in Maia have no shipyard? :mad:

Have fun shipping short-range vessels to 64 Arietis, then slogging them the rest of the way to the High Wizard of Dirty Drives

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Krycek posted:

Source your brown sea quotes please.

That one was Reddit actually.

Ship names are cool and good.

Running tally of unoriginal reference names:

"Forward Unto Dawn"
2x "Rocinante"
"Enterprise"
"Serenity"

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Though I have no doubt there'll be a couple of minor revision patches to wait for until things are all stable and unbroken... At least I can play with the face maker until then :o:

10.5 gigs? Welp, several day download for me, lol

~160KB/s is super awesome.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Hmm, bug #1 - on a 4K screen at least the info popup in the galaxy map appears off to one side, so no plotting any courses other than using jump-by-jump in the left-hand panel.

click to embiggen, see the lower right corner

Anyone else? I'll post it on the Brown Sea if there's a bug report forum.

<edit> ah

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/341992-Galaxy-System-Map-tag-not-pointing-to-target

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 11, 2017

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

It says avoid offensive language in the naming dialogue but looks like there are no automatic filters. I wonder if it's down to Frontier emailing blasphemers manually? "wank" on its own is also allowed, BTW.

On a more serious note,

I'm not sure if the ID tag just makes it look a bit too messy. Considering going with no ID.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 11, 2017

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:thumbsup: Though man i wish the camera suite came with the controls bound, theres like a million undocumented options to try and tweak.

apropos man posted:

It says avoid offensive language in the naming dialogue but looks like there are no automatic filters. I wonder if it's down to Frontier emailing blasphemers manually? "wank" on its own is also allowed, BTW.

Changenotes said that you can see all your rude words but its server filtered for other players.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 11, 2017

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

apropos man posted:

The official policy is that your ships names will always appear to you au natural, but they'll be reviewed/moderated. If found unacceptable, censored versions will appear to other players.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
I wonder how many phases from the gbs bhabhi thread we can get past the filter.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
If they're going through the trouble to filter things server side, is there an option to disable filtering of other players names for my own client? Not that you are often close enough to read other players ships in the first place.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

NoneMoreNegative posted:

:thumbsup: Though man i wish the camera suite came with the controls bound, theres like a million undocumented options to try and tweak.

Changenotes said that you can see all your rude words but its server filtered for other players.

Ah. Thanks to all who mentioned the rude.

I use a Xbone pad, so I just mapped the free camera controls for Pitch & Roll to the stick I use for the ships nose; then mapped Lateral & Lift to the stick I use for vertical thrust.

It took a good bit of faffing around though. The amount of options there could be displayed more neatly to prevent information overload, but I guess the ability to gently caress around with everything is what we like about this game

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
What's the character limit on ship names?

Because I really want to name my Python "LET THE PROPERTY BROTHERS GET MARRIED", but I'll settle for "Pwease no steppy!" if I need to.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

What's the character limit on ship names?

Because I really want to name my Python "LET THE PROPERTY BROTHERS GET MARRIED", but I'll settle for "Pwease no steppy!" if I need to.

22 Characters, ship id is 6

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Uuuurgh! All the Engineers avatars have been holo-me'd!

I used to quite fancy Elvira Martuuk but she's blown it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGjdW3aOfAI

timn
Mar 16, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

"Pwease no steppy!"

Daztek posted:

22 Characters

FEDERATION GET OUT REE

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ship ID 420-69 :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I am no longer salty about my misled purchase of the Boundary pack (they initially labeled it as coming with matching nameplates). That ship ID on the side looks cleeeeean!

• Locked thread