Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The only race that matters in Star Wars is mechanoman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

What if Poe is really aGungan?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

As far as I'm concerned this is the audience that RLM deserves for that loving Ghostbusters video.

Do you mean the one that didnt actually deny sexism and racism and harassment happened

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Actually, I mean the one that said that the harassment wasn't actually a big deal and was just played up by Sony for marketing and was posted just a few days before Leslie Jones had her passport and private photos posted on her own hacked social media accounts.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

Actually, I mean the one that said that the harassment wasn't actually a big deal and was just played up by Sony for marketing and was posted just a few days before Leslie Jones had her passport and private photos posted on her own hacked social media accounts.

...could you point to a timestamp for the video where they say the harassment wasn't a big deal?

Vegg220
Sep 2, 2016

by 2017 exmarx

Zoran posted:

Uh, aren't you guys the ones asking for a safe space where no one is allowed to like the prequels?

This is a pretty weird "no u" on factual grounds, considering that this thread is a very carefully caretaken safe space where the richly deserved mockery of pretentious lackwits is a bullet train to probation station

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Teh Zor is that you?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Vegg220 posted:

This is a pretty weird "no u" on factual grounds, considering that this thread is a very carefully caretaken safe space where the richly deserved mockery of pretentious lackwits is a bullet train to probation station

SMG is the most probated poster in this thread, buddy

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Is that good?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vegg220 posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Serf
May 5, 2011

They're also not on their fourth account just from this thread lol

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I disagree with most of the more critical points about TFA, but he outright said he was digging deep at the stuff that bugged him.

The 'adventure films need a "get the girl" moment' and 'it doesn't matter if kids have diverse role models' bits were especially dumb.

Vegg220
Sep 2, 2016

by 2017 exmarx
The fanboy has two characteristics that are inherently in conflict. One is his belief that he is really smart and insightful. The other is that he likes dumb garbage for children. There are some resolutions to this conflict. One is that the dumb garbage is ok to like because it's a guilty pleasure. Another is to stop liking dumb garbage for children. What we see in this thread is the least healthy. He refuses to cede an inch on either his pretension or his terrible taste, and so his mind breaks from this friction, he convinces himself that the dumb crap for dim grade schoolers is actually a work of secret subversive genius. This thread is a rare gem. Even in the mainstream prequel apologism the line is that lightsabers are Awesome or the acting was actually good according to some Martian ideal. This is an advanced otherkin thread. I'm Tezzor and I can't stop viewing this terrarium of belligerent clowns

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vegg220 posted:

The fanboy has two characteristics that are inherently in conflict. One is his belief that he is really smart and insightful. The other is that he likes dumb garbage for children. There are some resolutions to this conflict. One is that the dumb garbage is ok to like because it's a guilty pleasure. Another is to stop liking dumb garbage for children. What we see in this thread is the least healthy. He refuses to cede an inch on either his pretension or his terrible taste, and so his mind breaks from this friction, he convinces himself that the dumb crap for dim grade schoolers is actually a work of secret subversive genius. This thread is a rare gem. Even in the mainstream prequel apologism the line is that lightsabers are Awesome or the acting was actually good according to some Martian ideal. This is an advanced otherkin thread. I'm Tezzor and I can't stop viewing this terrarium of belligerent clowns

Schwarzwald posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think he doesn't like Star Wars much.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

Vegg220 posted:

Most people in the thread don't like the prequels. I don't particularly like the prequels. There is no need to be so angry at those who do just because they defend their opinion "pretentiously". :shrug:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
But I was told just recently in this thread that the original films were much better because Star Wars should be about not thinking too hard? :confused:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The truly baffling thing is that the person here who has come closest to saying that the prequels are "a work of secret subversive genius" is Tezzor him or her self.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Steve2911 posted:

I disagree with most of the more critical points about TFA, but he outright said he was digging deep at the stuff that bugged him.

The 'adventure films need a "get the girl" moment' and 'it doesn't matter if kids have diverse role models' bits were especially dumb.

I don't think the criticism is that there has to be a 'get the girl', it's just that it's okay to have a serious, adult tone.

And he's right about diversity - don't cast actors just to check boxes, because no one gives a poo poo, especially kids. In this film, the choice to be as diverse as possible worked out really well, but that doesn't always happen.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Red posted:

And he's right about diversity - don't cast actors just to check boxes, because no one gives a poo poo, especially kids.

Casting actors "just to check boxes" might not be all that admirable, but I don't know how you can argue that no one gives a poo poo--they quite demonstrably do.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Kids being affected by a lack of representation is in fact s pretty well documented phenomenon

Serf
May 5, 2011

Red posted:

And he's right about diversity - don't cast actors just to check boxes, because no one gives a poo poo, especially kids. In this film, the choice to be as diverse as possible worked out really well, but that doesn't always happen.

Can you name some films where people just checked boxes on some imaginary diversity card and the result was a disaster? Genuinely curious.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Kids being affected by a lack of representation is in fact s pretty well documented phenomenon

I think RLM's point is that hordes of kids are going to go see it regardless.

So, financially/creatively, it doesn't matter.

Have studies shown a link demonstrating that kids are affected by those decisions? Yep, but that's a different conversation.

Serf posted:

Can you name some films where people just checked boxes on some imaginary diversity card and the result was a disaster? Genuinely curious.

Off the top of my head, Flight of the Phoenix (remake) was... not good.

But I'm not saying casting for diversity's sake is automatically detrimental to the film - I think RLM is saying it does nothing for the creative process.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Red posted:

I think RLM's point is that hordes of kids are going to go see it regardless.

So, financially/creatively, it doesn't matter.

I think the point wasn't about money, but rather about kids seeing people who look like them up on the screen doing heroics and stuff.

Red posted:

Off the top of my head, Flight of the Phoenix (remake) was... not good.

But I'm not saying casting for diversity's sake is automatically detrimental to the film - I think RLM is saying it does nothing for the creative process.

While I'm not familiar with the original or the remake, was it just a bad movie or did the diversity drag it down somehow? Is the white nationalist crowd that important to the success of movies?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Serf posted:

I think the point wasn't about money, but rather about kids seeing people who look like them up on the screen doing heroics and stuff.

See, I took it as they wanted to make a film people would like, that 'repaired' the damage done by the prequels - and was creatively well done. Cast good actors, regardless of race/gender. If that's what they did, great.

RLM seems to think they tried to fill all the check boxes. I'm not sure I agree, though. I'd like to think the people they picked deserved to be cast because they were great - and TFA being a good film supports that. The majority of the cast of TFA is white, so I'm kind of thinking (Edit: RLM talking about) diversity is a non-issue.

quote:

While I'm not familiar with the original or the remake, was it just a bad movie or did the diversity drag it down somehow? Is the white nationalist crowd that important to the success of movies?

It was a meh movie that didn't need to be made, and was quickly forgotten. The cast is a little bit of everything - super diverse, but nothing about the film works well, so having a diverse cast didn't actually do anything to make it better.

I'm not supporting/disagreeing with RLM here, just trying to suss out what they're saying.

Red fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 3, 2016

Serf
May 5, 2011

Red posted:

See, I took it as they wanted to make a film people would like, that 'repaired' the damage done by the prequels - and was creatively well done. Cast good actors, regardless of race/gender. If that's what they did, great.

RLM seems to think they tried to fill all the check boxes. I'm not sure I agree, though. I'd like to think the people they picked deserved to be cast because they were great - and TFA being a good film supports that. The majority of the cast of TFA is white, so I'm kind of thinking diversity is a non-issue.

If I remember correctly, Abrams literally said they should pick a more diverse cast because of how hugely important Star Wars is. But it turns out you can totally cast for diversity and pick fantastic actors like John Boyega and Oscar Isaac.

Full disclosure: this might be some alt-right fever dream I read about, but I'm almost certain its based on something Abrams actually said.

Red posted:

It was a meh movie that didn't need to be made, and was quickly forgotten. The cast is a little bit of everything - super diverse, but nothing about the film works well, so having a diverse cast didn't actually do anything to make it better.

I'm not supporting/disagreeing with RLM here, just trying to suss out what they're saying.

Okay, but the diversity doesn't seem to be the issue here. There are tons of movies that are just mediocre/bad for any number of reasons. I just can't see how casting for diversity could make a movie bad.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't think the diverse cast was part of a money making scheme. It was part of not being shitlords in 2016.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Serf posted:

If I remember correctly, Abrams literally said they should pick a more diverse cast because of how hugely important Star Wars is. But it turns out you can totally cast for diversity and pick fantastic actors like John Boyega and Oscar Isaac.

Full disclosure: this might be some alt-right fever dream I read about, but I'm almost certain its based on something Abrams actually said.

That... sounds familiar. Didn't he or Hamill talk about inserting a gay character, and possibly having it be Luke?

Edit: Wait, why can't Boyega and Isaac be cast on the strengths of their talent? They're both amazing actors.

quote:

Okay, but the diversity doesn't seem to be the issue here. There are tons of movies that are just mediocre/bad for any number of reasons. I just can't see how casting for diversity could make a movie bad.

You're not wrong. I'm just saying that casting for diversity's sake, in that case, didn't help, either.

I think back to Thor, and casting Idris Elba as Heimdall. Heimdall was white in the comics. A lot of racist "fans", who I'm sure read the book, went nuts about it - but Elba was fantastic, and made the character great. Said "fans" haven't complained lately. And I'm sure he was cast because he's Idris Elba, not because he's black.

The RLM review is suggesting producers should cast good people, and don't worry about orientation/race/gender. At the same time, having a gay character is also a good thing - because people in real life are gay, and an adult watching Star Wars can handle having a gay person on screen.

Red fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 3, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Actors and directors are paid to bring their own interpretation to a role, so their race will always influence the creative process. A black American actor playing a role as white as possible is still a creative decision, a commentary on the character, different from what it would have been with a white American actor playing the role as white as possible, or the black actor being more "black."

If you only or even just preferentially cast white people for leading roles in a pre-, post-, or non-racial setting (like Star Wars -- as was just mentioned, the only "races" are "droid" and "not droid") . . . well, one of a few things has happened, right?

1) you are consciously or unconsciously a racist shitlord
2) somebody above your pay grade has ideas about "box office draw" or other marketing speak, banking on the racism of the audience, lovely even if the decider is not racist
3) despite the huge numbers of talented actors who are not white, you somehow did not find people suitable for the lead roles

#3 is nigh impossible for a Hollywood-scale movie and all three perpetuate the systemic racism of Hollywood and America.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I guess inevitably the Plinkett reviews of movies he actually likes are never quite as fun as the other ones. This was more along the lines of the Avatar or Star Trek The Star Trek reviews. And I think whether you like or dislike TFA there is not as much to say about it as the prequels. It's pretty inoffensive. There's more to talk about in the surrounding context of the movie -- the fact that it's a soft reboot that attempts to "fix" Star Wars is really the elephant in the room here. Absent that context, it's a perfectly fine little action/adventure movie.

Steve2911 posted:

I don't think the diverse cast was part of a money making scheme. It was part of not being shitlords in 2016.

A little of both I think. There's nothing wrong with it, in fact it's pretty awesome and didn't hurt the movie in any way. But they also definitely used it as a selling point, talking it up in a lot of the promotional interviews. Which is fine I guess, it just seems a little self-congratulatory.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

homullus posted:

Actors and directors are paid to bring their own interpretation to a role, so their race will always influence the creative process. A black American actor playing a role as white as possible is still a creative decision, a commentary on the character, different from what it would have been with a white American actor playing the role as white as possible, or the black actor being more "black."

If you only or even just preferentially cast white people for leading roles in a pre-, post-, or non-racial setting (like Star Wars -- as was just mentioned, the only "races" are "droid" and "not droid") . . . well, one of a few things has happened, right?

1) you are consciously or unconsciously a racist shitlord
2) somebody above your pay grade has ideas about "box office draw" or other marketing speak, banking on the racism of the audience, lovely even if the decider is not racist
3) despite the huge numbers of talented actors who are not white, you somehow did not find people suitable for the lead roles

#3 is nigh impossible for a Hollywood-scale movie and all three perpetuate the systemic racism of Hollywood and America.

This is interesting, because the RLM review even points out that casting for a moving in 1970s London probably didn't bring a lot of diversity.

I wish I had the link to the story about Matt Groening and his rules for writing the Simpsons in relation to diversity/sensitivity. I can't remember, but there were rules to guide the writing team that were surprisingly ahead of their time.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Red posted:

That... sounds familiar. Didn't he or Hamill talk about inserting a gay character, and possibly having it be Luke?

Edit: Wait, why can't Boyega and Isaac be cast on the strengths of their talent? They're both amazing actors.

I never said they weren't. But when Abrams decided to go for diversity, he decided to go for the best people he could find. And I'd argue that he found them.

Red posted:

You're not wrong. I'm just saying that casting for diversity's sake, in that case, didn't help, either.

Out of curiosity, do you have a source for them saying they were purposefully casting the movie with a diverse cast in mind?

I've seen a lot of speculation that diverse cast of the Fast and Furious movies have helped them at the box office. I'll have to dig up the article on demographics of viewers, but it seemed to confirm that the movies were very popular among minority audiences in America, and one has to wonder if there is a link between representation and success.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lol I love this guy writing off diversity like its a meaningless buzzword.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Serf posted:

I never said they weren't. But when Abrams decided to go for diversity, he decided to go for the best people he could find. And I'd argue that he found them.

His production company is doing that now - but does it apply to casting, too? And yeah, Boyega is great - but I think Isaac was already established by this point.

quote:

Out of curiosity, do you have a source for them saying they were purposefully casting the movie with a diverse cast in mind?

I don't think so - but every review you'll read mentions the rainbow/mosaic cast before saying it was meh at best.

quote:

I've seen a lot of speculation that diverse cast of the Fast and Furious movies have helped them at the box office. I'll have to dig up the article on demographics of viewers, but it seemed to confirm that the movies were very popular among minority audiences in America, and one has to wonder if there is a link between representation and success.

That'd be interesting. Plus, I wonder if actors like Rock or Diesel appeal to everyone, regardless.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Red posted:

I don't think so - but every review you'll read mentions the rainbow/mosaic cast before saying it was meh at best.

This says something about the reviewers, not the movie.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
There were definitely comments from the producers about how they opened up auditions for most of the roles to a racially diverse set of actors. They highlighted Rey in particular and I think also Finn, but never said a peep about Kylo (who obviously could not be nonwhite).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zoran posted:

but never said a peep about Kylo (who obviously could not be nonwhite).

Eh they could've explained it away.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Steve2911 posted:

Eh they could've explained it away.

It worked in Blazing Saddles!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
What's really important is that RLM's thesis is that we must gently chide the Disney corporation for not providing an even better product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What's really important is that RLM's thesis is that we must gently chide the Disney corporation for not providing an even better product.

He got so close to the heart of the matter when he briefly acknowledged that the prequels were meant to be different from the originals.

• Locked thread