Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Lawen posted:

I was in Nashville a couple weeks ago and even though I didn't really mean to buy a new guitar (he says, despite having gone to 4 different music shops in 2 days) I fell in love with this weird thing:

It's a reissue of a '72 Tele Custom with a Lollar gold foil in the neck, an OX4 P90 in the bridge, and a Dusenberg Multibender bridge. It's as heavy as a 70s Les Paul and I need to lower the action a bit but I love the way it sounds and the multibender is so much fun. I've been listening to lots of Eno's Apollo and Daniel Lanois' solo stuff and having a blast playing ambient-y, pedal steel-y things through stacks of shimmer verb and granular looper things.

Now I just need to get the DecoBoom guy to make me a custom pickguard with cream polka dots on black and it'll be perfect.

Do those two metal slabs in the trem extend over the strings? How do you mute them when you don't want them to ring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

GreatGreen posted:

Do those two metal slabs in the trem extend over the strings? How do you mute them when you don't want them to ring?

It’s weird. Each of those arms is a trem for a single string. And the trem is “tuned” so when it’s bottomed out it’s exactly a whole step higher. So you can do really fast whole step bends (and prebends). It really does sound kinda pedal steel-esque.

https://youtu.be/VcSBKjCyXDU

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009

so this crazy thing arrived today after I stumbled across it on the JHS' "Pedal Show" YouTube thing ... it's crazy, I'm grinning like an idiot playing "Green Onions" and the organ intro to Prince's "Let's Go Crazy."

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

I'm a better player now, right?

(la bella flats will be here on Monday)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
A Talman bass? IF so, that is very cool. I bet it plays great and sounds even better.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yep, they have the TMB30, which is 30" scale and passive, and the TMB100; 34" and with a little preamp. I went with the former.

After a setup today it's playing like a dream, and my flatwounds come in for it tomorrow. I'm going to build a faux-varitone circuit for it to experiment with the electronics a bit; i have a feeling a chicken head knob down there for tone will look cool.

It's a great couch noodler.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Got me a Wayne Kramer Strat

Well, a tiny copy of one

And this absolutely awesome Strat that you should all be jealous of

Let's look closer

CLOSER

Underneath is a late 70s or early 80s Korean(10% chance Japanese) Strat copy with a fricken 3 way switch. Very dark rosewood board with truss rod adjustment at the heel, 22 frets, worn to poo poo and dirty as hell on the back. Cheap rear end tuners that hold a tune. Came with a snakeskin strap and straplocks. Pickups sound like the originals, which means pretty damned nice and Stratty. I don't think the neck is original, even with the cheap tuners.

Also, possibly bloody Steve Morse pick included

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

widefault posted:

Got me a Wayne Kramer Strat

Well, a tiny copy of one

Kick out the jams motherfuckers

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I didn't realise you could smell a guitar through a computer screen before looking at that rad skeleton strat.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I just realized something, I'm pretty sure the skeleton is supposed to be Mike Muir from Suicidal Tendencies

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Kick out the jams motherfuckers

I've been flicking through the Beat Club channel on Youtube and there are some great performances:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHCowZEzUsY

3 minutes of crazy jamming, then a brief excursion in to the actual song just in time for a classic rock ending.

Magnificent.

e: oops, not the thread I thought it was.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I just realized something, I'm pretty sure the skeleton is supposed to be Mike Muir from Suicidal Tendencies

That though crossed my mind the first time I saw it. I kind of want to paint a Pepsi can on there somewhere.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Beeow beeeow bewowowoowowoow

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yee haw that thing looks fun!

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Mozi posted:

Beeow beeeow bewowowoowowoow

gently caress yeah. The blooper in the background is taking this pic to the next level.

I mentioned him just a few posts back but if you haven’t, you should check out Daniel Lanois for some good pedal steel sounds.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I picked up an Orange AD-5 earlier on this week:

It’s the Made in China PCB version, so it’s probably about 13-14 years old. 5w, single 12ax7 and el34, class A. Really enjoying it so far, gets nice and overdriven by 9-o’clock, and just gets more “orange”-y from there. It maxes out at a decent volume with some really good distortion. Waaay more mid-forward than my tone master deluxe reverb, so it’s a really nice contrast.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Lectrosonics Maxi Mouse, portable battery powered amp, 1x8" speaker, about 8 watts. Voice and instrument channels with separate volume & tone and a master volume. Batteries on this one I think are just about dead, seeing if it will charge up right now, but it runs fine off the charger.

Sounds okay, good clean. With the instrument volume all the way up, tone in the middle, and master at 3ish, it breaks up a bit, which honestly doesn't sound as terrible as I expected.

Not sure if I'll bother changing the batteries if they are bad, not sure it's worth it because I can't see myself needing to play it away from a power source.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
that thing is awesome

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
https://store.solidstatelogic.com/products/ssl-native-drumstrip

$20

black friday haul

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

widefault posted:

Lectrosonics Maxi Mouse, portable battery powered amp, 1x8" speaker, about 8 watts. Voice and instrument channels with separate volume & tone and a master volume. Batteries on this one I think are just about dead, seeing if it will charge up right now, but it runs fine off the charger.

Sounds okay, good clean. With the instrument volume all the way up, tone in the middle, and master at 3ish, it breaks up a bit, which honestly doesn't sound as terrible as I expected.

Not sure if I'll bother changing the batteries if they are bad, not sure it's worth it because I can't see myself needing to play it away from a power source.

When I was a child I wanted to be a busker so it being the 80s I learned about Mouse amps, because there weren't many options in those days.

I have a couple of these and I've replaced the batteries in them before, it's pretty easy. If you need any assistance I can offer, let me know. Mine don't sound so hot sometimes so I'm probably going to recap them eventually. But this was the street amp back in the 20th C.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I am a fool with money so I bought a synth (or two) and a groovebox with zero prior knowledge on making music.

Everyone has to have a Volca, right? Only made a few beeps and boops with it so far but it sounds rad. Babby's first synth!

And the Circuit Tracks to maybe try to make some of the beeps go with some other boops. Already made a couple cool patterns but otherwise NO IDEA what I'm doing, it's fun though!

Not pictured is the Microfreak which is arriving Wednesday. I plan on hooking the two synth's up to the MIDI outs on the Circuit Tracks to start having some real fun. I also know nothing about MIDI but I'm enjoying everything so far.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
All you need to know about MIDI:

1) it goes OUT of a keyboard IN to a synth (don’t match the labels on USB MIDI cables)

2) MIDI is to audio as sheet music is to a CD. MIDI tells you what to play, but not what it’ll sound like; a CD tells you what it sounds like, but not how to play it.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
TRIP REPORT OF THE MESA MK V

So I've had it for about a month now.

...and that's how long it took to get it dialed in!

Now that it is dialed in, it is glorious. However, the claims of this amp being super duper versatile are horseshit.

This is an amp that will sincerely judge every single thing you plug into it. It will judge your guitar, your pedal chain, the position of the moon and if it finds anything...lacking, it will punish you with ice-picks and flubbiness. This is not an amp that you can bend to your will and coax a million great tones out of it. This is an amp that has a very specific voice, and when you are dialing in this amp, you are basically adjusting the settings so that it will play nice with whatever you have plugged into it. The amp looks at your signal chain, decides what noise it's going to make, and your job is to set it up to make that noise as best you can. You don't tell this amp what to do, this amp tells YOU what to do.

So anybody who has ever played one of these amps and gone: "The gently caress?" I absolutely understand why. It is a very hate-able amp in that 75% of the time it'll sound like actual rear end, 20% of the time it'll sound good, but 5% of the time it'll sound amazing. I haven't found any pedals that it likes except MINIMAL ones. So, overdrives? Ew. Clean-ish Boosts? Yay. Fuzz? gently caress off.

Also, this amp thrives on a bit of gain. While you CAN get the clean channel to be really clean (and legit, gorgeous), the amp is much happier with a slightly broken up clean sound. Channel 2 you can make it edge-of-breakup if you like, but it prefers being pushed into legitimate rock territory. Channel 3 speaks for itself.

Overall, in terms of tone, it is polar opposite to a Marshall. Compared to my JVM? The JVM is throaty with warm and dynamic low-mids with a really bright pick attack, but not much bass (unless we get flubby). You think the Marshall is bright, but the majority of it is focused around the pick-attack more than anything else. The MKV is all upper-mids with a HUGE tight bottom end (But not low mids) and a lot of top end. The Marshall feels like it's throwing mids around, whereas the Mesa feels like you're throwing top and bottom around. In terms of gain, I feel like the Marshall works outside-in. The top end and bottom end distort before the mids do which is why the pick-attack gets so bright. Meanwhile, I feel like the Mesa overdrives its mids first, which is why for any driven sound with the Mesa, you scoop the gently caress out of the mids with the GEQ. However, I think THAT'S why the MKV stays so tight with all the gain as the bottom and top end don't get driven as hard so everything stays tight and controlled.

AKA: MARSHALL GOES DUNDUNDUN. MESA GOES GAKGAKGAK.

However, the best part about having the Mesa is that it has absolutely taught me how to dial in amps WAY better. After spending a month messing with the MKV, I went back to my other amps and just spent the last weekend re-dialing in my OTHER amps and they're now screaming in ways I didn't know they could.

Helluva amp once you get it working for ya.

H13 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 21, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Coolnezzz posted:

I am a fool with money so I bought a synth (or two) and a groovebox with zero prior knowledge on making music.

Everyone has to have a Volca, right? Only made a few beeps and boops with it so far but it sounds rad. Babby's first synth!

And the Circuit Tracks to maybe try to make some of the beeps go with some other boops. Already made a couple cool patterns but otherwise NO IDEA what I'm doing, it's fun though!

Not pictured is the Microfreak which is arriving Wednesday. I plan on hooking the two synth's up to the MIDI outs on the Circuit Tracks to start having some real fun. I also know nothing about MIDI but I'm enjoying everything so far.

Great! Another synth / music rookie!
I was at about the same place last December.
Here's the cool kids' synth that Santa brought this year

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

B33rChiller posted:

Great! Another synth / music rookie!
I was at about the same place last December.
Here's the cool kids' synth that Santa brought this year

That looks amazing, not sure what all is going on but I have a few ideas.

After a day of messing around I tried to send audio to my PC to share my first bits of trash with some friends but I picked up the wrong cables so my first few recordings were only coming out of the left speaker. Is there a thread for discussing proper cabling / interfacing my hardware for recording?

Laserjet 4P posted:

All you need to know about MIDI:

1) it goes OUT of a keyboard IN to a synth (don’t match the labels on USB MIDI cables)

2) MIDI is to audio as sheet music is to a CD. MIDI tells you what to play, but not what it’ll sound like; a CD tells you what it sounds like, but not how to play it.

This makes sense, thank you! I guess I'll be using the Circuit Tracks as the "keyboard" for my synths for a while as I learn. Still waiting for delivery of some MIDI cables to get started.

A co-worker of mine has been sharing his studio with us and he has been trying to get me to start on this so I'm really happy to learn.

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 21, 2021

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

H13 posted:

Helluva amp once you get it working for ya.

Hell loving yes. Have you got clips? I want to get a Mesa so badly haha. Stoked it's working well for you!

Also JVMs are awesome too. You have very, very good taste.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
can i get a hnnngh

Only flaws I can see are a nut that's extending maybe 0.3mm past the low E side, and a tiny rough spot on the end of the neck binding. Body itself is flawless. Needs tuners.

now time to jam this into the soldano model in my 11rack and dime the gain

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

My MiM Robert Cray signature arrived and the gold aftermarket bridge saddle takes a very tiny allen key. It needs an adjustment. Frustration.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

H13 posted:

Awesome, congrats on the amp! The big trick with Mesa Mark series amps is that the Treble, Mid, and Bass knobs are in the circuit BEFORE the distortion stages:

Mesa Mark signal path: Guitar into amp input -> EQ knobs -> preamp distortion -> GEQ -> poweramp

Remember, use the EQ knobs for distortion feel, and the GEQ for actual EQ. Typical settings for distortion on a Mark are:

Treble knob between 7-10
Mids knob between 3-5
Bass knob between 0-2

Yes, those extreme looking settings are basically the default starting point for Mark amps. The idea is that you want to minimize the bass going into the distortion stages so your guitar's low end doesn't muddy up your sound, then you bring the bass back up at the end of the chain with the GEQ to fill out the body of the overall tone. Setting the Treble knob between 7-10 won't actually make your final sound all that much brighter, but will instead act like the amp has a built in Treble booster, sorta kinda like a built-in tubescreamer, which means you'll get tight, articulate distortion.

I usually default to those settings and then tweak from there for different vibes. More Bass knob for a fatter lead sound, less Treble knob for a slightly smoother sound, more Mid knob for a throatier gnarl, less Mid knob for more of a slinky, articulate thing.

Also, don't be afraid to dial the GEQ with your ears. It's super sensitive and the typical V setting never sounded all that great to me. A lot of the time I'll lower the middle and mid-left slider to cut the honk, raise the bass slider for body, then leave the treble sliders alone, or even lower the right most slider a bit.

You're absolutely right about the amp being more mid-focused than the average Marshall. Mesa Mark amps are some of the most mid forward high gain amps ever made. Without the GEQ they basically sound like you're playing through a megaphone, or an AM Radio sound effect filter or something. That's why the characteristic of the distortion is as tight as it is, and that's why they sound good with the GEQ "scooped." You're not actually "scooping" the mids, you're just bringing them back down to sane, balanced levels relative to the treble and bass.

Whatever you do, dial with your ears, not your eyes. It's one of my favorite amp series of all time and I could go on and on about them. Good luck!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 22, 2021

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Impulse purchase because it was cheap. At least cheap to me!

Lotus L505MR, more or less a copy of the Gibson The Paul. Version of the Hondo 732. Made in Korea by Samick, this one from around 1982. I also have the Harmony version which is a much closer copy of The Paul

Looks like your typical lovely pawnshop guitar, and is, but I've yet to buy one that wasn't broken that couldn't be made into a hell of a player. Also a big fan of the pickups, Korean made to Dimarzio specs ~10 years before Duncan Designed became a thing.

And if they were good enough for Ad-Rock, they're good enough for me.

He had the Hondo version in the Gratitude video, and played Hondos all the time.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

fake edit: too lazy to make a good picture but I love this thing

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
As do I sir, as do I.

I got to play a brand new Clapton model once and it was just sick how pristine the woods and finishes were. I don't like Eric Clapton, but I LOVE Robert Cray. Do you play any of his stuff? I used to do tunes from Shame + A Sin and Some Rainy Morning in a blues band I was trying to get off the ground.

I bought tickets to the tour and the guy on the phone told me the wrong start time for the show. I thought it was just a late show, but I got there in time to catch the encore and then the lights went up. I was devastated but that last 15 minute jam was just glorious. He had a great organ player sitting in and they guy slayed.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Y'ALL START POSTING THE HOLIDAY HAUL

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That Robert Cray strat has the best tone knobs of anything I have played. Turning them makes a big difference.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

The new boi at da bottom

Edit: thinking of moving it higher up to avoid any front patching stuff getting in the way of any other controls on the other gear

Sweet_Joke_Nectar fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 26, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the Craigslist doth provide

with a little bit of cleanup and some touch-up paint (it works fine, this old Nashville dude just been using it for some years) it'll be aces

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Noise Machine posted:

Y'ALL START POSTING THE HOLIDAY HAUL

Hooray for disposable income!

I took the plunge and bought my first synths and a groove box as a present to myself; the Microfreak, Volca Keys, and a Circuit Tracks. I have been focusing on the Circuit first and have been trying to spend a bit of time every day learning it, but the Microfreak is so much fun to mess around with! I can't wait to start making some really neat sounds soon, also waiting for a cable to arrive so I can connect the audio from the Volca Keys to the Circuit. But one step at a time!

I also just ordered a Focusrite 2i2 so that I can start recording the garbage fires I will be making here soon. Everything is so overwhelming so I have to keep telling myself to learn how to use what I now already have, there is plenty here to keep me occupied for likely years, I don't need anything else...yet.

Cheers all!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Coolnezzz posted:

Hooray for disposable income!

I took the plunge and bought my first synths and a groove box as a present to myself; the Microfreak, Volca Keys, and a Circuit Tracks. I have been focusing on the Circuit first and have been trying to spend a bit of time every day learning it, but the Microfreak is so much fun to mess around with! I can't wait to start making some really neat sounds soon, also waiting for a cable to arrive so I can connect the audio from the Volca Keys to the Circuit. But one step at a time!

I also just ordered a Focusrite 2i2 so that I can start recording the garbage fires I will be making here soon. Everything is so overwhelming so I have to keep telling myself to learn how to use what I now already have, there is plenty here to keep me occupied for likely years, I don't need anything else...yet.

Cheers all!

Ooooh. You got the pretty white microfreak! I recently picked up the regular colour one. Also a synth rookie here, with a handful of months headstart.
What you shared about your thoughts feels very familiar. It is overwhelming to see just how much I have to learn before I could confidently say I'm a novice.
It's also exciting to see the wealth of available sources to learn from.
Still not making what I would call music, but having piles of fun experimenting and learning through trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

B33rChiller posted:

Ooooh. You got the pretty white microfreak! I recently picked up the regular colour one. Also a synth rookie here, with a handful of months headstart.
What you shared about your thoughts feels very familiar. It is overwhelming to see just how much I have to learn before I could confidently say I'm a novice.
It's also exciting to see the wealth of available sources to learn from.
Still not making what I would call music, but having piles of fun experimenting and learning through trying.

Heck yeah, there is so much out there already but it's super fun and interesting to get into because it's art; make what you want, despite feeling in over your head at times!

I'm trying to get into all this without using a computer because I work IT for a living and I'd prefer to have a bunch of knobs and dials and buttons instead of a mouse and software.