Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
He's killing it on Doom Patrol though. His catch phrase is "gently caress".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I know if I wanted to rent a private "cabin" I would want the wall beside the bed to just be a window

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Len posted:

I know if I wanted to rent a private "cabin" I would want the wall beside the bed to just be a window

It's for socially distanced swinging

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Len posted:

You don't like bears watching you have sex?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zero One posted:

You don't like bears watching you have sex?

well now that you put it that way...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pooh just out there pawing his hunny pot

Oh bother

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

CelticPredator posted:

All that plus his injury’s on films which really messed him up.

Man, the few times you see him as "himself" on Doom Patrol (and not just as a robot voice,) you can really tell. Even though they don't have him do much, you can just see his walking and movement is very stiff.

Which I think it's not always such a great thing when we see actors "do their own stunts." For one, they're taking jobs from stunt artists who have training to do the stunts and also enjoy being employed, and two, it can lead to poo poo like that. I don't think Fraser is the first actor to talk about how doing their own stunts led to injury.

How Tom Cruise manages to still do it is anyone's guess, though I guess despite his crazy Scientology-ness, by all accounts he's a crazy professional and workaholic on set so really he's had pretty much as much training as a real stunt guy.

But, as said, as a VOA on Doom Patrol he's great, fun show, everyone should watch it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
There are some upsides to actors doing their own stunts, like I don’t think the John Wick movies would work if Keanu Reeves didn’t do his own stunts. It’s how they manage to have zero shakycam or excess cuts.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

DrBouvenstein posted:

Man, the few times you see him as "himself" on Doom Patrol (and not just as a robot voice,) you can really tell. Even though they don't have him do much, you can just see his walking and movement is very stiff.

Which I think it's not always such a great thing when we see actors "do their own stunts." For one, they're taking jobs from stunt artists who have training to do the stunts and also enjoy being employed, and two, it can lead to poo poo like that. I don't think Fraser is the first actor to talk about how doing their own stunts led to injury.

How Tom Cruise manages to still do it is anyone's guess, though I guess despite his crazy Scientology-ness, by all accounts he's a crazy professional and workaholic on set so really he's had pretty much as much training as a real stunt guy.

But, as said, as a VOA on Doom Patrol he's great, fun show, everyone should watch it.

The one and only thing that made me think well of tom cruise was a recent attempted hitpiece which tried to present him as a bully drama queen for being angry with production crew for being covid casual. Not wearing masks and clumping up to watch takes n poo poo.

They quoted him as talking about how this stuff risks productions being shut down and how this costs people their jobs, and somehow this was him being a diva. I'm no tom cruise fan, but the transcripts I read made him sound a hell of a lot less terrible than I expected.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
It’s the yelling/tone of it, I think. I get what he means, and the immense pressure/frustration, but the yelling part is tough because 1) that probably wouldn’t be OK in most professional settings, and 2) he’s not just the star, he’s a boss. I think he’s been Exec Producer for most of them?

So he has this immense power, and there’s no recourse. People in that scenario are likely trying to do their best in a trying time. They’re not horsing around, but maybe just trying to do their job and got a little lax. Now, I understand that laxness can add up or be the vector of a much larger problem. Did they make a mistake? Probably, but does that require a big show of being shouted down? Probably not.

At least, what I recall of what I heard was yelling. Maybe he was talking at an elevated tone, but it did come off as a bit bullying/venting. And what I had heard was mostly about the 2 people looking at takes together.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
While I think he’s right to call out that it could negatively impact the entire production and a lot of people’s jobs, and it’s OK to be upset about it, I wonder how much of the anger in his reaction stemmed from the fact that it’s really hard to justify putting people’s lives at risk over a largely disposable action movie franchise sequel, which is what he and the rest of the big shots were doing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cruise might be a crazy cultist but he seems to treat his productions with nothing but pure care and professionalism. I don't think I've ever seen a person with a bad word to say about him professionally, and that includes people like extras, crew, and catering

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Tom Cruise is an extremely rare example of the type of person I should hate on every level, but actually seems relatively decent in person and who I keep liking in movies despite myself. Obviously he cheated on his charisma roll.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've heard that he sends a Christmas card and check for $20 to pretty much anyone he meets every year.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've heard that he sends a Christmas card and check for $20 to pretty much anyone he meets every year.

And he sends them a cake.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
And only occasionally acts as the mouthpiece for an international criminal cult that literally kidnaps and murders people.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I will say it’s crazy how good the Mission: Impossible series is aside from M:I 2.

I think Ghost Protocol still has some of the best sets, but Fallout had a surprisingly engaging storyline despite being the 6th movie.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

And only occasionally acts as the mouthpiece for an international criminal cult that literally kidnaps and murders people.

I think it usually kidnaps or murders people, not both (to the same person).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Phanatic posted:

The fact they haven't had a massive group suicide, a terrorist attack, or been besieged by the FBI is something I guess.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gaius Marius posted:

The fact they haven't had a massive group suicide, a terrorist attack, or been besieged by the FBI is something I guess.

They literally spent decades infiltrating the US government.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My dad worked on a (non-Hollywood) movie that Cruise was in. He and the other staff (like 10-15 people) were invited to the premier but told they couldn't bring their families because it would disturb Cruise's family. This was such a weird, insulting thing to say that they literally all boycotted it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Boywhiz88 posted:

It’s the yelling/tone of it, I think. I get what he means, and the immense pressure/frustration, but the yelling part is tough because 1) that probably wouldn’t be OK in most professional settings, and 2) he’s not just the star, he’s a boss. I think he’s been Exec Producer for most of them?

So he has this immense power, and there’s no recourse. People in that scenario are likely trying to do their best in a trying time. They’re not horsing around, but maybe just trying to do their job and got a little lax. Now, I understand that laxness can add up or be the vector of a much larger problem. Did they make a mistake? Probably, but does that require a big show of being shouted down? Probably not.

At least, what I recall of what I heard was yelling. Maybe he was talking at an elevated tone, but it did come off as a bit bullying/venting. And what I had heard was mostly about the 2 people looking at takes together.

You're allowed to be a bad person if you're polite and quiet about it these days, even if it harms others. But it doesn't matter how right/moral your point is if you break decorum and are disruptive, and you certainly can't be mean about it as that makes you worse, somehow.

He had a lot to be angry about. The position of authority doesn't give him extra obligation to be nice, but to protect people under his care.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

sassassin posted:

You're allowed to be a bad person if you're polite and quiet about it these days, even if it harms others. But it doesn't matter how right/moral your point is if you break decorum and are disruptive, and you certainly can't be mean about it as that makes you worse, somehow.

He had a lot to be angry about. The position of authority doesn't give him extra obligation to be nice, but to protect people under his care.

If you were to make a human mistake, such as standing too close to someone to review something for your job, is it appropriate for your bosses’ boss or the CEO to stand up and start shouting you down? Justified or not, it’s not a great look.

But I acknowledge that it might be the lesser of two evils. Maybe the other option was that Tom got that person fired off the crew, and then made some speech after the fact.

Keep in mind that for the pressure Tom is under, he will likely receive 10s of millions of dollars. What about the average crew person? Or what if someone DID get sick from COVID and died? Would they feel good about dying for the 7th/8th Mission: Impossible film?

It’s more nuanced than Tom Cruise is a jerk, but it’s also more nuanced than “Tom Cruise was totally justified” as well.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Why does his paycheque matter?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Lone Badger posted:

I think it usually kidnaps or murders people, not both (to the same person).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Lisa_McPherson

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

sassassin posted:

Why does his paycheque matter?

You don’t think there’s a difference in treatment between the star who is catered to, likely has private dwellings, etc etc on top of the money that they’ll make and someone on the crew who is just trying to keep their job during a pandemic?

Or the difference in power? It’s not like a film set isn’t hierarchical. Would Tom have yelled the same way at his director or cinematographer?

As I’ve mentioned, I understand where Cruise is coming from to an extent. It’s an intense profession on a good day, but add in COVID and everything else, and you might snap. I also believe that these are his last two M:I films, which probably has him on edge as well. He is making his last, best efforts.

I’m not saying he’s some unforgivable monster, at least not for this. But I am saying that we shouldn’t hand-wave that behavior either. This isn’t explosives or high amp electrics. It’s standing too close to one another when that would normally be part of your job. I’m currently having to change some of my work behaviors because of a new policy, and it’s a little difficult. And in my case, it’s just moving a file to a diff folder to execute.

I guess my pushback to you, is why the lack of compassion towards a couple of nobodies who made a human mistake during a trying time?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Yelling at a subordinate for any reason, except for a “you could have LITERALLY just killed us, right this second” that comes from the adrenaline rush of a near death experience, is completely inappropriate. Full stop. Like, whether it’s done in public or private, just as bad.

E. Understand that I’m not against counseling/discipline, but “yelling” itself as a form of management is never appropriate

E2. VVV ah, I see you are arguing in bad faith, got it. Again, no one is excusing the workers’ behavior, just acknowledging Cruise’s behavior was also bad. Both can be wrong, at the same time, for different things. Wild concept, I know.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Feb 10, 2021

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Yelling is seen as a worse crime than endangering public health, jobs etc. as I said to begin with. People jump through hoops trying to excuse behaviour that was unacceptable, because someone raised their voice at them.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

sassassin posted:

People jump through hoops trying to excuse behaviour that was unacceptable,

What do you mean by "unacceptable"?

I think you mean "behavior that should be discouraged," or are you advocating that the people Cruise was yelling at should have been fired?

Filming the movie at all endangers public health and jobs, but you're not suggesting that filming the movie was unacceptable, right? So it's not a question of risk as binary condition, where any risk at all is unacceptable. So some finite degree of risk must be acceptable. How did you arrive at a position where filming the movie was an acceptable level of risk, but the behavior that Cruise went off on is an unacceptable one? Because Cruise yelled a lot?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tom Cruise lost control of his temper. That’s it. He should have some Cruise control.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

oldpainless posted:

Tom Cruise lost control of his temper. That’s it. He should have some Cruise control.

Jay Sherman? That you?
https://youtu.be/yPBTE0wlZF4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cruise used his privilege for a good cause re health measures on set.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I don't generally yell at people, but if yelling at people is justified it's for people ignoring covid protocols

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/WoolieWoolz/status/1359215307232059393

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man you snip off that 'CE' and stick on a 'T' and it becomes immediately clear why they shoulda gone back to the drawing board. Though how it wouldn't be obvious before that is mystifying. What were they thinking.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I just can't get over David Hogg using the platform he gained as an activist and survivor of a mass school shooting to sell pillows. I'm not saying he's never allowed to do something else or to make money, it's just weird.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I just can't get over David Hogg using the platform he gained as an activist and survivor of a mass school shooting to sell pillows. I'm not saying he's never allowed to do something else or to make money, it's just weird.

Always two there are, no more no less. A master pillow salesman and an apprentice pillow salesman.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kevin DuBrow posted:

In America activism is only about building up your brand so you can get into next level grifting faster.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
100% true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Kevin DuBrow posted:

What :psyduck:

Somehow I never heard this, he just gradually disappeared from my radar.