Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

VKing posted:

In Oslo there's an old grain silo that was converted into 226 units of student housing.

So what is the internal structure of these type of silos normally? Cutting window holes and adding floors seems non-trivial if they are just giant tubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

People of Asian ethnicity typically have flatter, less prominent noses than most Europeans. It's hard to tell if something happened to the person's nose because the combination of the angle, the low video quality, and their naturally flat-ish nose shape.

It wasn't a very funny joke.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pokey Araya posted:

Lack of oxygen is probably a pretty painless way to go, you're unconscious before you know what hit you. The guy getting cooked in the giant tuna pressure cooker on the other hand, probably had some time to freak out as the temperature slowly rose.

lack of oxygen is legit one of the best ways to go because you're basically drunk for a bit then fall asleep and don't wake up and the whole while you have no idea what's going on and are enjoying the process

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's a doctor in the USA who has been fighting for like thirty years, maybe 40 now, to get a federally-mandated execution protocol for condemned criminals that would entail making them breathe pure nitrogen from a mask until they died. CO2 continues to be removed from the blood with respiration, so the person doesn't feel like they're suffocating -- they just black out from lack of oxygen after like thirty seconds and never wake up. No pain, no complex drug mixtures, no risk of screwing it up.

Of course, the reason that he's still fighting is because, despite the lip service given to being "humane," Americans are vindictive, bloodthirsty assholes who like to see the condemned person writhing in pain as the drugs burn up their insides.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Sagebrush posted:

There's a doctor in the USA who has been fighting for like thirty years, maybe 40 now, to get a federally-mandated execution protocol for condemned criminals that would entail making them breathe pure nitrogen from a mask until they died. CO2 continues to be removed from the blood with respiration, so the person doesn't feel like they're suffocating -- they just black out from lack of oxygen after like thirty seconds and never wake up. No pain, no complex drug mixtures, no risk of screwing it up.

Of course, the reason that he's still fighting is because, despite the lip service given to being "humane," Americans are vindictive, bloodthirsty assholes who like to see the condemned person writhing in pain as the drugs burn up their insides.

I disagree with capital punishment 100%. However, if it's something we have to do by rule of law, that would be the easy way. The condemned person can sit quietly for a few seconds. They'll experience a feeling like being drunk, and then they'll go out. 5 minutes later, they're dead as a door nail. Cheap and easy.

Maybe kick some helium in there so their last words can sound funny. I know 2 full lung-fulls of helium will get my ears ringing and that's just the party stuff. Back when I was a kid, I don't think they put O2 in the mixture. 2 full lungs of air and you were about to fall down.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CampingCarl posted:

So what is the internal structure of these type of silos normally? Cutting window holes and adding floors seems non-trivial if they are just giant tubes.

They're just giant tubes, often held together only by wire rope tension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUJu4Vsbcc4

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 24, 2018

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

Nowadays synchronizing is controlled by a relay, and a lot of times there are even back up "sync check" relays because you can't afford to screw this up and destroy a multi-million dollar generator. But in the old days synchronization was "DJed" by hand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNuI6keQXYA

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

What is he doing there? And hes so close to that thing holy crap

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Fallows posted:

What is he doing there? And hes so close to that thing holy crap

Yeah I intuitively see if not really understand what's happening here but... what?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
That is a huge outer band-brake. A band-brake like 5' across. Jesus fuckin Christ.

edit: basically if I interpret correctly, he's keeping the motor from going into resonance with the AC current, because if it did, it would lock everything up. So he has to run through a series of startup and shutdown RPMs, without which it would enter one of these bands and gently caress everything all to hell. To do this, he's hand-operating a giant brake that encompasses like 80% of the wheel, and is doing this through grip and feel through the brake. This is a big dose of skill and quite a bit of balls.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 24, 2018

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Sagebrush posted:

Easy there drama queen, that's not exactly correct. As with all major changes it takes time, like it or not. The mainstream idea of nitrogen for this use is still somewhat new (a lot of articles point to 1995 as a year of origin rather than 40 years ago) and it was a fringe idea that only gained momentum as lethal injection drugs and their supply are becoming more of an issue. Some quick research shows Oklahoma already ok'd it for executions so it would make sense over the next 10 years or so it will become more prevalent. I'm 100% for capital punishment and I don't enjoy the idea of making it painful. Try not to paint everyone with such a broad brush.

Edit: VVV I find the Nitrogen use personally interesting but I suppose it isn't really OSHA rear end osha poo poo and this definitely isn't the place for another pointless capital punishment slapfight.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 24, 2018

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Making capital punishment less painful just makes it easier to justify its continued existence.

I support capital punishment but only for people who advocate its use in the justice system.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dannywilson posted:

That is a huge outer band-brake. A band-brake like 5' across. Jesus fuckin Christ.

edit: basically if I interpret correctly, he's keeping the motor from going into resonance with the AC current, because if it did, it would lock everything up. So he has to run through a series of startup and shutdown RPMs, without which it would enter one of these bands and gently caress everything all to hell. To do this, he's hand-operating a giant brake that encompasses like 80% of the wheel, and is doing this through grip and feel through the brake. This is a big dose of skill and quite a bit of balls.

It's a brake that he's working on, but I think something different is happening.

You can see the rotor inside -- before the motor starts it's that piece with all the cans (field windings) around the outer edge. Synchronous motors rely on the inertia of the rotor to keep moving, and have almost no torque when stopped. I think what's happening here is they apply power to the motor, and the rotor (which is large and heavy, and connected to the shaft and whatever machinery it's driving) stays in place, so the housing starts to rotate around instead, in the opposite direction of what's desired. After the housing gets spinning up to a high speed, he starts to crank down the brake on it. Gradually slowing down the housing starts to transfer force to the rotor, and it slowly begins to accelerate. (You can see all of this happening if you watch carefully -- pay attention to the difference between the spinning housing in the foreground and the wheel/shaft in the background). Once the rotor is up to the proper speed, the housing is fully clamped in place with the giant brake, which transfers the force to the factory building and allows the motor to make power. :psyduck:

At least, that's my best guess.

It's like if you had a car with a teeny tiny engine that couldn't accelerate it from a stop. So to get the car moving, you put it on a long, lightweight, non-driven conveyor belt, and the car's wheels start to turn because all they have to do is spin the belt around, and once the wheels are up to speed you gradually apply a brake to the belt so that the car starts to inch forwards on it and yada yada. The friction brake on the outside of the motor is basically acting like a clutch, and he's slipping it to get the machine moving.

Please derail about the physics of this situation for the next two or three pages.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 24, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 24, 2018

post-apocalyptic erotica
Jan 28, 2013
Found at work yesterday:

https://imgur.com/a/VDtT6

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Oh NO

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

"Oh hidy ho officer, we've had a doozy of a day"

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/ziWeLXr.mp4

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Sagebrush posted:

It's a brake that he's working on, but I think something different is happening.

You can see the rotor inside -- before the motor starts it's that piece with all the cans (field windings) around the outer edge. Synchronous motors rely on the inertia of the rotor to keep moving, and have almost no torque when stopped. I think what's happening here is they apply power to the motor, and the rotor (which is large and heavy, and connected to the shaft and whatever machinery it's driving) stays in place, so the housing starts to rotate around instead, in the opposite direction of what's desired. After the housing gets spinning up to a high speed, he starts to crank down the brake on it. Gradually slowing down the housing starts to transfer force to the rotor, and it slowly begins to accelerate. (You can see all of this happening if you watch carefully -- pay attention to the difference between the spinning housing in the foreground and the wheel/shaft in the background). Once the rotor is up to the proper speed, the housing is fully clamped in place with the giant brake, which transfers the force to the factory building and allows the motor to make power. :psyduck:

At least, that's my best guess.

It's like if you had a car with a teeny tiny engine that couldn't accelerate it from a stop. So to get the car moving, you put it on a long, lightweight, non-driven conveyor belt, and the car's wheels start to turn because all they have to do is spin the belt around, and once the wheels are up to speed you gradually apply a brake to the belt so that the car starts to inch forwards on it and yada yada. The friction brake on the outside of the motor is basically acting like a clutch, and he's slipping it to get the machine moving.

Please derail about the physics of this situation for the next two or three pages.

This explanation makes hella sense too, someone with ancient motor knowledge come confirm.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Nm

Piggy Smalls fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 24, 2018

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Guy Axlerod posted:

Meanwhile in Buffalo:

We turned our silos into a six-pack of tallboys.

Buffalo, NY, painted up their silos into Canadian beer cans? :psyduck:
Did Labatt's buy the whole port?

challengeaccepted.jpg

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

ExecuDork posted:

Buffalo, NY, painted up their silos into Canadian beer cans? :psyduck:
Did Labatt's buy the whole port?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Oh, I know. But Buffalo is still in the USA, unless Guy Axelrod posted a picture of the silos on the Canadian side?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Meanwhile, on the Island of Sodor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APg6WgcAnMc

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Labatt Blue is just Budweiser with a different sticker on it don't kid yourself.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Well, I know what I'm watching with my kids tonight.

Also lol at Emily just staring at the far off explosion at 3:50.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Harveygod posted:

Also lol at Emily just staring at the far off explosion at 3:50.

All I could think of was the Layla scene from Goodfellas

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Probably could have smashed it open with the bolt cutters easier. All my LOTO locks have plastic bodies that could be cracked open with a wrench.

They're designed to be hard to open accidentally, due to a high number of key combos. But easy to open destructively. The combination of high end lock mechanism in a cheap body also makes LOTO locks popular with the lock picking crowd, as practice locks.

What could explode after a bite in an... electronics(?) store?
He tried to eat a lithium battery, didn't he?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

his has been posted like 4 times in the past day lmao

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

What is it, exploding vape?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Spatial posted:

He bit a cell phone battery.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Spatial posted:

Biting an iphone battery to see if its real and it exploding.

It definitely wasn't real

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Spatial posted:

jetz0r posted:

He tried to eat a lithium battery, didn't he?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

Oh, I know. But Buffalo is still in the USA, unless Guy Axelrod posted a picture of the silos on the Canadian side?

These silos are on the Buffalo side.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

It's okay, I'm sure she washed her feet.