Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kneel Before Zog posted:

This manga is great. I'm on volume 27 so far. Theres a few things that have been bugging me. How did Griffith get all these super powerful apostles to start following himw illingly and with such devotion. Especially Zodd. Is it all because Griffith got a power boost or are apostles supposed to be the gods hands servants? Also what happened to the last god hand that Fento replaced. And Fento/Griffith are they the same person right now?

The Godhand created the Apostles, they're the ones who negotiate the deal they make via the Behelits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

Kneel Before Zog posted:

This manga is great. I'm on volume 27 so far. Theres a few things that have been bugging me. How did Griffith get all these super powerful apostles to start following himw illingly and with such devotion. Especially Zodd. Is it all because Griffith got a power boost or are apostles supposed to be the gods hands servants? Also what happened to the last god hand that Fento replaced. And Fento/Griffith are they the same person right now?

Wait why are we spoilering this?

Basically think of being a bishop in the Catholic church. Then the pope shows up and tells you to do something. But he's really cool about it and gives you $20,000.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Earl Grey posted:

Apostles are basically the God Hand's servants. As far as I know there never was a 5th God Hand until Femto. It hasn't been specifically stated that Femto and New Griffith are one and the same, at least, not yet.
When the story about Skull Knight and Void was being told, it started off with "four angels" rescuing the wise man (Void) from the evil emperor (Skull Knight) and ended with "five angels" somehow.

Since it's been mentioned how fate is supposed to be a spiral I'm guessing that members of the godhand gets replaced on a regular interval. If I recall correctly Void and Skull Knight were human around 1000 years ago, I don't recall if Slan's story was further back or not but I guess that she's younger since she was supposed to be a nun or something while she was alive while Void and Skull Knight lived during the time of a dead empire that people can't even really remember anymore. Either way, just from Void's story, you can tell that the godhand sometimes loses a finger and needs a replacement.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I don't remember this stuff at all. What chapter is this from?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Algid posted:

Since it's been mentioned how fate is supposed to be a spiral I'm guessing that members of the godhand gets replaced on a regular interval. If I recall correctly Void and Skull Knight were human around 1000 years ago, I don't recall if Slan's story was further back or not but I guess that she's younger since she was supposed to be a nun or something while she was alive while Void and Skull Knight lived during the time of a dead empire that people can't even really remember anymore. Either way, just from Void's story, you can tell that the godhand sometimes loses a finger and needs a replacement.

It hasn't said any of this? All that it's said is that when these members appeared. Seeing as how the God Hand are a product of human karma/ the human subconscience, they may not have even manifested until that time, when the number of humans on the Earth exceeded the point necessary for the God Hand to manifest.

I always took the 4 or 5 angels bit as a reference more to the ambiguity of their existence. It may be possible that their existence as God Hand has always been there, and they just needed to accept the role to create it at some point in time, fulfilling temporal causality.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I don't remember this stuff at all. What chapter is this from?
There's a bit when they go to rescue Griffith in volume 10, but that only mentions the old kingdom and 4 (or 5) angles destroying it because of Gaiseric (Skull Knight). I forgot which part also mentioned a wiseman being imprisoned there and the angels rescuing him. The part that mentioned Slan came much later I think, not sure where it is either right now.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Zorak posted:

I always took the 4 or 5 angels bit as a reference more to the ambiguity of their existence. It may be possible that their existence as God Hand has always been there, and they just needed to accept the role to create it at some point in time, fulfilling temporal causality.

I kind of took it as that they existed "out of time." Who's to say that when Void, for instance, was turned Godhand, he wasn't confronted with Femto, Slan, Ubik, and the...the other one?

This also brings up some interesting questions about the nature of Griffith's current existence. He's clearly some kinda supernaturalmans, but the mere fact that he existed in the physical realm (before tearing down the boarders between different planes of existence) means that--at least prior to the... transubstantiation of the world...or something--that he was different from the other Godhand, because of the poo poo that happened at the Tower of Rebirth.

I'm really curious if the guys on elf island will know enough about this poo poo to clear it up, or if we're going to wait until Guts runs into Skelly or one of the Godhand to get another exposition dump.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

OnimaruXLR posted:

This also brings up some interesting questions about the nature of Griffith's current existence. He's clearly some kinda supernaturalmans, but the mere fact that he existed in the physical realm (before tearing down the boarders between different planes of existence) means that--at least prior to the... transubstantiation of the world...or something--that he was different from the other Godhand, because of the poo poo that happened at the Tower of Rebirth.

Griffith took the baby as his avatar so that he could directly act upon the physical world.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Schubalts posted:

Griffith took the baby as his avatar so that he could directly act upon the physical world.

But does that mean his physical form is now the key to killing him? Or, in the event of such a case, will we be treated to a "BEHOLD; MY TRUE FORM" sequence and a climactic EX Boss battle against Femto?

It's kind of like a holy trinity question. Griffith is Femto, but does one exist separate from the other? Griffith is the Hawk of Light--the guy with a 10+ Charisma stat and dominion over all the creatures of the physical realm--but then what about his alter-ego as the wings of darkness, one of the generals who was representing for the collective malfeasance of mankind that constitutes the dark "God" who rules over the swirling vortex of lost souls that is "Hell" in the Berserk universe? HOW DOES IT ALL FIT TOGETHER?

tl;dr Guts=Batman Griffith=Two Face

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Have we seen Femto acting after taking the baby? It's been a loooong time, and I honestly don't remember if we have.

Him being the Hawk of Light was just a way to get the support of the human population, as the Apostles would kill themselves if he told them to. The Wings of Darkness is what he truly is. It's all an incredibly elaborate act. If the Kushan Emperor's and Skull Knight's fates hadn't been manipulated, Griffith would have probably conquered the continent by force. He really doesn't care about anything but ruling the world and vengeance.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah he turned into Femto when he was at the top of the monster Kushan king.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Schubalts posted:

Him being the Hawk of Light was just a way to get the support of the human population, as the Apostles would kill themselves if he told them to. The Wings of Darkness is what he truly is. It's all an incredibly elaborate act. If the Kushan Emperor's and Skull Knight's fates hadn't been manipulated, Griffith would have probably conquered the continent by force. He really doesn't care about anything but ruling the world and vengeance.

Vengeance? Against who?

ArchDemon posted:

Wait why are we spoilering this?

Basically think of being a bishop in the Catholic church. Then the pope shows up and tells you to do something. But he's really cool about it and gives you $20,000.

This is both the best and worst analogy, in a good way

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Vengeance? Against who?

Guts? Guts leaving the Band set off Griffith's downward spiral into madness.

e: He even let Guts survive the Eclipse long enough to force Guts to watch him rape Caska.

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 15, 2010

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Schubalts posted:

Guts? Guts leaving the Band set off Griffith's downward spiral into madness.

e: He even let Guts survive the Eclipse long enough to force Guts to watch him rape Caska.

Griffith has shown nothing except apathy towards guts since the time of the first eclipse. If he really wanted him dead, I think he would have attempted it by now.

edit: that is, attempted it since he took their child as a vessel. There were a couple of times he directly attacked guts as Femto, but that's been it.

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

Unacknowledged posted:

Griffith has shown nothing except apathy towards guts since the time of the first eclipse. If he really wanted him dead, I think he would have attempted it by now.

edit: that is, attempted it since he took their child as a vessel. There were a couple of times he directly attacked guts as Femto, but that's been it.

Guts is actually beneath his notice now (or at least that's what he said about 5 years ago). I would imagine he's more interested in creating his kingdom. Only what's bothering me is when he was human he wanted that white castle in the sky. It seemed all, well, holy and good. Now I have no idea what his motive is.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Schubalts posted:

Meh, I don't think he "let" Guts live, re-reading the book again it was more like... "Hey, I'm gonna rape your girl in front of you just to mess with you, hahaha then I'll probably kill you". Then the Skull Knight comes and whisks them both away.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

I kind of took it as that they existed "out of time." Who's to say that when Void, for instance, was turned Godhand, he wasn't confronted with Femto, Slan, Ubik, and the...the other one?
Last one's Conrad I think.

It doesn't really make sense to me for them to exist outside of time since they would be literally invincible if that's the case. I mean, having it be that way would mesh with the nature of prophecies, since prophecies basically require time travel. But the nature of god (being the idea of evil that humanity created) suggests that prophecy could be similar and just happens to be particular ideas people have about the world that end up happening because they believed in it and didn't act otherwise.

I mean, Skull Knight doesn't act like fighting against the godhand is futile, he just tells Guts to get his priorities straight and then do whatever he wants. I don't think the story will end with the godhand succeeding in whatever they're trying to do, and I don't see that happening without some of its members dying in some way.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
I can't believe after a few short days, I read all of what is available of Berserk.. and now I have to wait like everybody else. :negative:

The most recent chapters have been hard to stomach, not in a "wow this is gross" way but because of how.. messed up Guts is. He's completely battered up, covered in scars, cut up everywhere, with broken bones, bruises, and he's even losing a lot of weight. It's hard to imagine that he'll be able to continue much longer without some kind of remedy. But I guess for him, it's nothing new.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The 4 Angels bit is probably referring to the cardinal point angels. North, South, East, West that were called upon in the latest releases. Presumably someone called upon them during Void's ascension to either prevent or enable it and the story got muddled up after a millennium because the current religion has 5 angels.

Kip
May 7, 2007

Rueish posted:

I can't believe after a few short days, I read all of what is available of Berserk.. and now I have to wait like everybody else. :negative:

The most recent chapters have been hard to stomach, not in a "wow this is gross" way but because of how.. messed up Guts is. He's completely battered up, covered in scars, cut up everywhere, with broken bones, bruises, and he's even losing a lot of weight. It's hard to imagine that he'll be able to continue much longer without some kind of remedy. But I guess for him, it's nothing new.

Have heart, it can't be much longer before our tiring heroes make it to Elf Island, can it? Guys? :smith:

I've gone back for my third read-through of the series and I'm surprised at how many subtle details I've missed in the past.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Kip posted:

Have heart, it can't be much longer before our tiring heroes make it to Elf Island, can it? Guys? :smith:

How many years has it been since they first decided to go to elfland? I'm guessing eight. I'm also guessing that the island is still a year away.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

How many years has it been since they first decided to go to elfland? I'm guessing eight. I'm also guessing that the island is still a year away.

They just got on the boat on page one of this thread three years ago.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

Algid posted:

I forgot which part also mentioned a wiseman being imprisoned there and the angels rescuing him. The part that mentioned Slan came much later I think, not sure where it is either right now.

The sage imprisoned in the tower by Gaiseric is mentioned in the tower of rebirth arc by Mozgus. I have no idea where you're getting this stuff on Slan, we pretty much know nothing about her.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

YodaTFK posted:

The sage imprisoned in the tower by Gaiseric is mentioned in the tower of rebirth arc by Mozgus. I have no idea where you're getting this stuff on Slan, we pretty much know nothing about her.

He babbles some stupid poo poo about a Nun and people believe it to be her.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Thanks to some leaked poo poo from Newtype, now we (tentatively) know...

It's a movie. Beyond that:

-It's Studio 4°C
-This will be the beginning of a new adaptation of the story (What does that mean? Movie series? Movies+OAVs? Movies+OAVs+TV series?? WHAT'S IT MEAN!?)
-It hits in 2011

The official announcement is supposed to be on January 8th (shouldn't have given that magazine the exclusive, guys) so we'll probably get more details then. Hopefully along with a full length trailer.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Come on, Berserk Ultimate!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

God, the anime is probably going to catch up to the book so fast... I hope they don't make a whole season of filler...

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Personally I prefer the new crew much more than the old crew. I wish we had an animation based on post-eclipse.

NonEuclidean Testes
Feb 26, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

-This will be the beginning of a new adaptation of the story (What does that mean? Movie series? Movies+OAVs? Movies+OAVs+TV series?? WHAT'S IT MEAN!?)
I guess that means they'll be animating it in chunks? Like this movie might cover the beginning and all/part of the Golden Age arc, and then if it sells well later movies will cover other chunks? Anyway, this is loving awesome news!

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Yay I like the studio but let's hope it's more than just a movie. I'd be happy if the movie is pre-eclipse everything and then they continue to do a tv anime of the post content.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

I just want more dub Griffith showtunes.

Maybe this movie can one day sate that desire.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Poor Judeau, even in the advertisement he's an afterthought :(

I mean Jesus, even Corkus, a guy who's only notable feature is being a jerk is closer to the foreground.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

obi_ant posted:

God, the anime is probably going to catch up to the book so fast... I hope they don't make a whole season of filler...

Tell that to the crazy perfectionists working on Hellsing Ultimate.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.

Satanos posted:

I just want more dub Griffith showtunes.

Maybe this movie can one day sate that desire.

I'm just a girl who can't say no.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Andrigaar posted:

Tell that to the crazy perfectionists working on Hellsing Ultimate.

Not the same studio, unfortunately. I've never seen anything by Studio 4°C, how is there work?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Not the same studio, unfortunately. I've never seen anything by Studio 4°C, how is there work?

Pretty good, but most of it is pretty artsy stuff (though they did get their start with more action-oriented stuff like Spriggan, so who knows). Either way, I am expecting nothing but excellence from them.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I've never seen anything by Studio 4°C, how is there work?

It's pretty much peak animation quality, really, short of BERSERK as presented by STUDIO GHIBLI or something.

Swedish Nice Boy
Jun 21, 2007

by angerbeet

ANIME AKBAR posted:

They made this (nws)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6maVVFs0As

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Also this amazing thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-rexyelXOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I would have watch a Global Astroliner series/movie/OVA so hard.

Jet Set Radio Vs Cowboy Bebop.