Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Pinky Artichoke posted:

It's good to get that correction, though. My teacher growing up always let me do just whatever with the fingerings and it has really held me back.

I've always wondered how fingering works with something you wrote. Is it just a matter of sitting down and playing it naturally, or just tweaking it until it's "optimized" or something? In my stuff it's a combination of both but I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
My tutor basically goes through and writes the suggested fingerings for a piece, but she's open to alternatives if something is more comfortable to me.

I really boned myself learning a song with the wrong fingerings when I didn't have access to a tutor. I basically had to relearn it.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

So I've found my first wall that I am having problems breaking, sadly. I am currently teacher shopping so hopefully they will be able to help once I find one that works with my schedule. So in the mean time, post post post.

Anyways I've been having major rear end problems playing polyrhythms where the left hand is doing more than a chord etc, like a walking bass + simple melody or whatever. Can play the parts HS no problem but when I get them together my brain just shuts the gently caress down and I get completely lost. For now im working on Little Brother and kind of hoping i will be able to relax and not get so hung up on those situations etc but are there like any simple exercises I could learn that have you switching the RH between on beat/off?

Again, finding a teacher is pretty much priority #1

E: here is the actual thing I've been trying to get down thats giving me issues, which seems kinda sad to me because I feel like it should really not be this difficult http://youtu.be/rZZCrhMLxF0

The answer to this is always BACH + TIME + PATIENCE + BACH + BACH + BACH

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

PYF Bach videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvmC7ecYqq8

I can only hope to one day be as good as Cory Hall, virtuoso pianist and composer and also scholar of Bach tempos, the most important part of Bach's music.
Note the subtle colouring and texture of the playing, the delicate fingerwork.

Truly Glenn Gould and Andras Schiff are shaking in their boots when faced with this master of the piano.

Sadly internet trolls, unaware of the majesty of what they're witnessing, have forced comments to be disabled on almost all his videos. Such comments as "isn't this too fast?" and "I like it but there's no emotion" simply show the ignorance of the average person...

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

opus111 posted:

The answer to this is always BACH + TIME + PATIENCE + BACH + BACH + BACH

Are there a list of recommended Bach pieces or should I just throw a dart at the goldberg variations and play whatever? It's something I keep putting off to work on my own stuff but I know it would help tremendously.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

On Terra Firma posted:

Are there a list of recommended Bach pieces or should I just throw a dart at the goldberg variations and play whatever? It's something I keep putting off to work on my own stuff but I know it would help tremendously.

Really depends on your level of skill to give a good list, but in general,

minuets and inventions/sinfonias are the easiest

french suites and some of the WTC preludes would probably come next

english suites, some of the easier partitas (no.5 is probably the easiest, despite being fairly intimidating to look at)

hard stuff is the rest of the partitas, most of the WTC, the 1-manual parts of the goldbergs, chromatic fantasy and so on.

really hard is the 2-manual goldbergs, italian concerto, french overture etc.

Also sorta depends what technical stuff you're currently better at, like the 5th partita is easy because it's very light on large jumps and ployphonic stuff, but it still involves a fair bit of fast runs on the keyboard.

For the goldbergs in particular, the aria is very easy and just a generally nice piece to play, and the first 3 variations aren't too hard. The first one has a fair bit of jumping around so if your accuracy isn't that great it'll be a good challenge, the second variation is the easiest of the 3, and the third is quite challenging due to having to play both voices with the right hand.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

On Terra Firma posted:

If you've never done much of him before I would do:

Inventions no. 8, 1, 4 and 13 first of all.

WTC is waaaaayyy harder than people let on.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Thanks for the guidance on which pieces to try. These actually sound really fun. I might take a break from the pieces I've been working on and try my hand at these over the next few weeks. I have a few covers I've been messing with and I feel like I've hit a wall. I'm worried I'll go learn some Bach and want to scrap everything to use what I learned but whatever.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Well don't expect it to change your playing overnight, I think the inventions are still difficult and it will be a slog at first but you will go back to more basic pieces and blaze through them once you've got a few bach pieces under your fingers.

Also, I think invention no. 1 is especially good for warming up. It's really clean and open enough for you to mess around with the rhythm and dynamics to get the blood going. In fact I play it every morning before work as a sort of meditation.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
thanks for the advice goons, going back into the albert's book and actually practicing some of the later songs until i've got them good. between that and slowing the blues riff way down i'm actually making progress.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 22, 2015

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I bought Charles Beale's "Jazz piano from scratch" and in the first chapter he talks about different forms of groove in songs, dividing them into swing, rock and latin. When it comes to swing he talks about playing jazz in common time with a swing feel, which if I understand him correctly means not playing 8th notes straight but with the sound of a triplet even though they are notated as straight. So if you have two 8th notes you play the first one on the downbeat and then the second on on the -let, that is if you count 1-trip-let - 2-trip-let, etc, instead of on the down-beat and then on the upbeat, as in 1-an-2-an-3, etc. Anyone know if I understood it correctly?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Yes that is correct. For a swing rhythm eighth notes should be played like

You'll also sometimes see it written as a dotted eighth and a sixteenth even though it should probably feel closer to the triplet beat

astr0man fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 22, 2015

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND

megalodong posted:

really hard is the 2-manual goldbergs, italian concerto, french overture etc.

Challenge mode: Keyboard Concerti, Preludes and Fugues on organ

I've been going back through the English Suites, and remembering why they're some of my favorite pieces of keyboard music. I want to learn all of them.

Except for maybe the gigue from the last suite. That is too many trills.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

it blows my mind to pieces that anybody can play anything on an organ tbh.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Has anybody tried the Handel suits for keyboard? If so, how would you rate them in difficulty in comparison to Bach? I'm especially interested in the gigue from suite 1, no 8. It's really lovely.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

astr0man posted:

Yes that is correct. For a swing rhythm eighth notes should be played like

You'll also sometimes see it written as a dotted eighth and a sixteenth even though it should probably feel closer to the triplet beat

Thanks! It sounds better and a lot less boring, it's just hard because I have to modify my counting but I guess I'll get used to it soon.

Star fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 24, 2015

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND

opus111 posted:

Has anybody tried the Handel suits for keyboard? If so, how would you rate them in difficulty in comparison to Bach? I'm especially interested in the gigue from suite 1, no 8. It's really lovely.

Not sure which one that is, do you have an HWV number?

In general, I think Handel's suites are a bit easier than Bach's. There's still a few pieces that are pretty challenging, though.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

HWV433.

I've had these knocking around for a while but I've only just listened to them properly and I totally love them. I've been a huge fan of his recorder and violin sonatas for years so I don't know why I didn't listen to these sooner.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
So I have some experience reading music, I played in the orchestra in HS and I've messed around a bit on guitar and piano. I was going to come in here soon and try to find a music teacher, or a good place to learn online, but I noticed this ad in SA-Mart a couple of days ago while I was thinking it over.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3696374

Does that look like it'd be a good way to re-learn how to read music, and maybe learn a bit more about music in general? I don't know very much about music theory, and I played viola so all my training is in alto clef, with a tiny bit of experience in treble. Does it look horrible? Thoughts? Opinions? Should I be looking somewhere else? I have a keyboard and access to an actual piano if that matters.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Try the free trial.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I had a piano whim after seeing a movie with a beautiful song rolling during the credits so I found the chords on some website and just started fooling around and it actually sounded (I think, and hope) good. I think this is the first time ever that I managed to intuitively play a song by just knowing the chords and playing off the different tones involved in each chords, which some passing notes in between. Buying a piano is the best investment I've made in a long time.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Okay I just just discovered Cziffra, holy drat this guy is bat poo poo insane and I love it.

Listen to this, it's a complete clusterfuck but it's genius. It's like he took a whole bunch of pieces, chewed them up then regurgitated them all over the keyboard. This is so off the rails it's incredible. I'm not a fan of methodical and calculated playing, so this is the stuff right here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf2accwGEaU

E: Have listened to his recordings of Chopin's etudes twice today already. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG0dVHRhDs4

mes
Apr 28, 2006

In the beginning of last weekend I went from messing around with my old (crappy) keyboard to ordering a Yamaha P-105 and having an interview/intro lesson with a teacher today. What.

The meeting that I had today made me really excited to start playing again but at the same time gave me a glimpse of the giant mountain to climb, geeze.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Captain Monkey posted:

So I have some experience reading music, I played in the orchestra in HS and I've messed around a bit on guitar and piano. I was going to come in here soon and try to find a music teacher, or a good place to learn online, but I noticed this ad in SA-Mart a couple of days ago while I was thinking it over.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3696374

Does that look like it'd be a good way to re-learn how to read music, and maybe learn a bit more about music in general? I don't know very much about music theory, and I played viola so all my training is in alto clef, with a tiny bit of experience in treble. Does it look horrible? Thoughts? Opinions? Should I be looking somewhere else? I have a keyboard and access to an actual piano if that matters.

Did you do the free trial?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

baw posted:

Did you do the free trial?

I did. It was pretty informative, good info on music theory and stuff, but no real instruction on actually playing the piano. That seems to be what it's geared toward, so I'm not the real target market or whatever. I might sign up for a little while and just figure out stuff on my own with that as a refresher on reading music and some other stuff that I'm lacking.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Metamorphosis 1:

20 minutes

Metamorphosis 2:

2 months

Metamorphosis 3:

2 weeks

Metamorphosis 4:

:iiam:

Metamorphosis 5:

10 minutes

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I have wanted to learn piano for a while. I've toyed with them since a kid, but I am like 30 now. I had a m-audio cheap 54 key speakerless midi controller that I never liked using, and it never really had a place to always be available so I never practiced. Also did not feel like a piano.

Bit the bullet and got a Casio px-150 the other day. I love the thing. Been practicing Greensleeves in Synthesia, and trying to teach myself how to read music via those series of free music theory videos on YouTube.

I need to find a teacher but I'm kinda shy about asking around. Sorta don't want to be around kids when I'm dropping f bombs every time I mess up :)

Kinda not sure about how long I should do lessons for, or cost.

I want to do classical, Chopin sounds amazing but I am light years away. Could someone mix up both classical and jazzy improvising type stuff that might be easier?

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 10, 2015

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Don't be shy. I started a week after my 30th birthday. Get a private tutor so that you can swear all you want.

I pay 15 euro for a one hour lesson once per week in-home. Sometimes she stays longer and she's always available during the week if I have any questions. I got very lucky in getting a great tutor right off the bat.

If you are serious, then get a good tutor ASAP.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

you need a teacher for at least your first year to give you good habits. you aren't going to learn much with the internet.

You're not light-years away from Chopin. With a good teacher you could do Prelude no. 4 within a year, easily.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Also don't let yourself get frustrated to a point where you're swearing. When you start feeling that anger rising up in you then step away from the piano for a bit. Don't keep trying to do a thing when you're frustrated, because you'll make more mistakes since you're frustrated, and then you'll get more frustrated and make even easier mistakes until you kinda feel like crying or maybe killing yourself because you swear to loving god you were just playing that loving part without any goddamn difficulty and now it's like you're playing it for the first loving time and then you might even break a pair of nice Shure headphones because you violently take them off your head and throw them onto the floor. Then you'll try to fix them with some busted-rear end glue that you got from the PX and it will make the problem worse and cut your hand open in the process because the plastic is sharp and your skin is brittle because the god drat heater in the Corimec unit you live in is broken (which might explain why playing is so loving difficult) plus you've been deployed for too long and you think that since you finally have a day off you will be able to relax and practice piano for more than 30 minutes but by the end of it you're a broken and sad shell of a person reading the Doobie thread because schadenfreude is the closest thing you can feel to joy.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Please tell me it is normal that when you start trying to play different things with each hands, your hands seem to give up and become useless twigs.

"Yeah I can play each part separately, lets put it toge - oh god what keys am I hitting why are you doing that left hand?!"

Edit: I tried using a metronome to make sure I was keeping the correct pace across some exercises but it completely messed up my timing. When I try and play with it on it sounds like it's speeding up and slowing down, and I have no idea if I'm hitting the keys when the metronome hits a bit.

Not sure if that's a problem with just starting to use a steady beat or if it's my hosed up hearing messing about.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 11, 2015

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Lethemonster posted:

Please tell me it is normal that when you start trying to play different things with each hands, your hands seem to give up and become useless twigs.

"Yeah I can play each part separately, lets put it toge - oh god what keys am I hitting why are you doing that left hand?!"

Edit: I tried using a metronome to make sure I was keeping the correct pace across some exercises but it completely messed up my timing. When I try and play with it on it sounds like it's speeding up and slowing down, and I have no idea if I'm hitting the keys when the metronome hits a bit.

Not sure if that's a problem with just starting to use a steady beat or if it's my hosed up hearing messing about.

Go slow enough until you can do it without feeling retarded. If that means you are practically distorting space time to get that slow then so be it, but it'll come.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

On Terra Firma posted:

Go slow enough until you can do it without feeling retarded. If that means you are practically distorting space time to get that slow then so be it, but it'll come.

I'll hit the next note in a few hours

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

I never use a metronome. I play for enjoyment and a metronome just turns everything stressful.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Oh, for those jus starting out: always use the same fingering. I think this is the most important good habit there is.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Lethemonster posted:

As long as you hit the right note in the right rhythm!

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

opus111 posted:

I never use a metronome. I play for enjoyment and a metronome just turns everything stressful.

Metronomes are useful though, not just for keeping the correct tempo but also for making sure you're not taking any unintended pauses between parts and stuff.

Don't just dismiss them out of hand.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Lethemonster posted:

What's the passage like? But yes, it's normal to not be able to move your hands independently at first when learning piano. It's part of why piano playing makes people smarter, fine motor skills and all that.

The metronome thing is normal too. You're just so used to playing the rhythm incorrectly that the metronome sounds hosed up. Just like the hand thing, it's something that you will improve at with practice. Although it does sound like you probably put the metronome on too fast - don't put it on the speed you think you're going, put it on a few clicks slower so you can catch your mistakes.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

uXs posted:

Metronomes are useful though, not just for keeping the correct tempo but also for making sure you're not taking any unintended pauses between parts and stuff.

Don't just dismiss them out of hand.

No I can see why they're useful I just don't enjoy using them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I've been screwing around with Greensleeves and Synthesia for a couple days. Individually I can play the right and left hands, trying to bring it together...

That 1/8th note was throwing me way the hell off. The first measure(I think? Sorry new to reading music) is easy, you can just time the left with the right, both change at the same time.
The second measure, that 8th note is thrown in there after a quarter note. That took me like an 45 minutes of screwing around over two practice sessions, and I'm just starting to "get" it. The B note on the left hand, I should hit at the same time as the B on the right, so I worked backwards from there. I kept hitting the B on the left way too early.

Basically, I'm trying to cue each hand off the other, that 8th note throws a wrench in that plan but if I work backwards and deal with the 1/8th note outside of that mindset it still works.

And then there's patterns....that 1/8th note between two notes on the left hand is a repeated pattern nearly every other measure. So once you get it once, the rest are easy!

Am I thinking about it flawed?

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 12, 2015