Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

BigHustle posted:

... and the first thing I heard was this, followed by an excessively vulgar reply from one of the repeater locals. I've been listening ever since.

I've listened occasionally, and that guy is on pretty regularly. He's usually followed by a circlejerk of other hams imitating him. It's pretty awesome to listen to occasionally.

Also, I would love to play with some packet stuff, but sadly I don't have a soldering iron (nor do I think i should have one because of smoke detectors, etc.) with me in my dorm and I can't seem to find premade soundcard interfaces for my handheld. My handheld is a Wouxun which uses a Kenwood style dual pin mic connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I don't think flux smoke will set off fire alarms; i've soldered in my kitchen.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

xergm posted:

I've listened occasionally, and that guy is on pretty regularly. He's usually followed by a circlejerk of other hams imitating him. It's pretty awesome to listen to occasionally.

Also, I would love to play with some packet stuff, but sadly I don't have a soldering iron (nor do I think i should have one because of smoke detectors, etc.) with me in my dorm and I can't seem to find premade soundcard interfaces for my handheld. My handheld is a Wouxun which uses a Kenwood style dual pin mic connection.

What kind of connection do you need for the soundcard interface?

Buxcomm just started carrying DB-9 and 5 pin DIN adapters this month.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Those are for TNCs. I'm just looking for using my soundcard as a TNC with AGWPE, so basically it would be a Kenwood connector to a DB9 for PTT and 2 3.5mm audio connections to the soundcard.

I guess I might try to put something together when I get home.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
Got my homebrew interface cable for the FT-747GX to Signalink USB all set up and working. I really like being able to run PSK31 while using the FT-857 for other stuff at the same time. I've decided I'm going to setup a Linux box for Ham use and try some PSK31 software, in addition to APRS and TCP/IP via AX.25 on it.

In any event my question is this: What other bands besides 20m is PSK31 popular on, and what are the common frequencies?

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Talked to my dad about radio today. He was an Army 05D in the '70s and listened to a LOT of code. I showed him the K2 and he thought it was pretty awesome. We talked about morse and he said he can't just copy the code in his head, but that when he hears a code letter, his fingers automatically type it out on a keyboard. I explained notch filters and he thought that would have been the best thing ever to have when he was a spy.

So I could get my General, build a barebones K2 and operate it with him. We have the space to erect a full length 80m dipole, but only with the lobes directly N/S. I had him take an online Tech test and he scored 60%. Pretty good for knowing practically no electrical theory.

e: Used a java app to send "your mom is a whore" at 18 wpm and he mostly copied it.

Skyssx fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 24, 2011

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

AbsentMindedWelder posted:

Got my homebrew interface cable for the FT-747GX to Signalink USB all set up and working. I really like being able to run PSK31 while using the FT-857 for other stuff at the same time. I've decided I'm going to setup a Linux box for Ham use and try some PSK31 software, in addition to APRS and TCP/IP via AX.25 on it.

In any event my question is this: What other bands besides 20m is PSK31 popular on, and what are the common frequencies?
Congrats!

You will hear a lot of stations on 40 meters at around 7035-7038, sometimes you see them on 7070. 30 meters is popular for it too around 10140. When 15 meters is open check 21070.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
So the FT-747 was working great. I turned it off and left the house to go eat dinner. When I came back home, the fucker wont turn on, and all I hear is a relay clicking near where the power connector is.

Time to dig out the circuit diagrams and open the bitch up.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Install it into the nearest dumpster or man made reef

Got a taste of SSB at the VHF contest. This blows FM out of the water for signal work, but, clearly, blows for picking up the microphone and just doign whatever.

We had about 0 prop going on and thus didn't make too many contacts, but, oh well.

Anyone else get in there?

PS:

grim glim gnim bim bim

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

Partycat posted:

Install it into the nearest dumpster or man made reef
Aww, you just hurt it's feelings.

Seriously, it may have a plastic case (the power amplifier inside it is in a metal case), but it actually is a great little radio, and should do fantastic on PSK31. I've made a number of good SSB DX contacts with it already.

Besides, there's only two steps left for me before I can call myself a real ham... Fix a radio and learn CW. So if I get this bitch working again I'm half way there, hi hi.

As far as the contest goes, I didn't hear any SSB but I did pick up some 2m CW. I talked to another ham today who wants to try some AM on 2m with me tomorrow.

AbsentMindedWelder fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 25, 2011

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Partycat posted:

grim glim gnim bim bim

Dude, you don't know how tempted I am to play that on one of the area repeaters... Bunch of elitist assholes deserve a good prank.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Got my state of the art HTX-202 today. It'll end up hooked to my OTUSB for full time APRS duty. It has a DC barrel connector on the body, 13.2v in for 6w out. Two pin SP/MIC connection and a BNC for the antenna. Only 12 memory channels, but who cares! It'll only need one.

Eventually i'd like it in a box or on a panel permanently mounted to the back wall of my truck, behind the seat. It should be hooked to a Larsen 2/70 and power will come in through a fused powerpole strip. Right now, though, it's bricktastic.

I'm looking to get another to put into permanent weather station duty.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Not strictly ham related, but this is the first time i've soldered electronics in probably 12 years. If i'm going to build a K2, I have to start somewhere!

So what we see here is a nearly bare MintyBoost! v3.0 board. This will take a 2-5v input and output a regulated 5v to a USB A connector. The idea is that you use two AAs and the whole thing fits snugly inside an Altoids gum tin.

Skip to everything installed except the electrolytics and the USB A, now properly oriented!

Assembled minus the USB A. The kit comes with a 2x AA holder. I wanted 3x AA since more power >. 3 keeps the chip from burning out if alkalines are installed. 4x 1.5v = 6v = no.

Nasty solder joints! My metering is way off. Look at the IC socket pins; glob, good, good, glob. I reworked two pins. One looked like it was maybe cold, and the inductor was interfering physically with one electrolytic cap.

All stuck in the altoids tin with double sided foam tape. I'm not terribly happy with how the USB connector got stuffed through the case wall. I wanted it to be snug with no gaps. No pictures of that, though.

Now an actual ham project, my OTUSB. Here it is opened up with the reordered GT525 plugged in.

With some thin foam that will serve as electrical and physically insulative duties.

Wrapped up and stuck in an empty spot. There really is a lot of space in this case.

I'm not entirely my mod to the OTUSB, the foam may be a little much. It's cheap enough where time will tell.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Here's a test of the open-source Codec 2, still in alpha stage. VK5DGR did his PhD thesis on voice coding, so he's using that knowledge to make the new codec. It's using 2500 bps now, but the goal is to bring it down to 2000 bps for VHF, and even make a 1200 bps version for HF.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k-nhHE6CrI

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Sounds really rough, but functional.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

If it comes out the other end like that I think it could be useful.

For tonight's net are we RF linked, with IRLP ?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Codec-2 is the most exciting thing happening in ham radio to me right now.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
v0v AOR sells two plug and play solutions for digital voice that don't render your voice into Stephen Hawking's computer output. One even supports file transfer.

Skyssx fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 31, 2011

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I picked up a PK-232MBX over the weekend. The threshold pot is cracked and figures rat shax doesn't sell one.

I can jangle it around and get the DCD to turn on or off so I can sort of send beacons. Its great for mod CW on FM to annoy people though.

e:

ahhaha I put out a manual APRS beacon with a little face that says "blow" , I'm sure that will go over well.

Partycat fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 31, 2011

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
I had a brain fart this evening and totally forgot about tonight. Did anything happen?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Other than me sitting here sending CW and "Baudot" over FM into nowhere no, nobody was on the echolink

Chark
Aug 11, 2007
Local Forum Lurker
Yep, totally blanked. Noticed the time at around 10:15 EST. Anything happen? Anyone check-in?

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Your mom checked in.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Skyssx posted:

Your mom checked in.

I checked in your mom. By 'checked' I mean 'stuck my penis'

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

You can't say penis what this isn't CB radio you know I remember a time once when

e: content

So, as a radio club can we get a logo or an alliance with HamSexy or something ? We haven't undertaken much activity. What can we do radio-wise with the club call? With remotely-linked radios we could probably call into another net as the club, right, and do some sort of Echolink partyline? Not that I particularly really want to cause mischief but... ?

I'm writing a newsletter for my present radio club. This is some real work attempting to write content that no one is submitting or reading. I'm hoping to milk the SWL thread to write some bits 'n pieces about shortwave listening. I recently acquired a little tiny rinkydink "globe patrol" receiver, and have enjoyed the few minutes I spent listening to Radio Canada International , as well as some lunatic telling me that a catastrophe was brewing because it is going to get a bit colder and people won't be able to pay their heating bills.

Partycat fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 31, 2011

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Partycat posted:

You can't say penis what this isn't CB radio you know I remember a time once when

Oddly enough, the FCC doesn't enforce vulgarity, just obscenity. Technically you can say 'gently caress' on the air as much as you want and get a pass, but the second you use it as an action (ex: 'I'm gonna gently caress her in the butt') they'll start the process to pull your license. I've been listening to .435 and a few of them had to explain the difference to someone who got upset that the FCC hadn't shut them down yet.

quote:

So, as a radio club can we get a logo or an alliance with HamSexy or something ? We haven't undertaken much activity. What can we do radio-wise with the club call? With remotely-linked radios we could probably call into another net as the club, right, and do some sort of Echolink partyline? Not that I particularly really want to cause mischief but... ?

Unless there's been a resurgence in their forums lately, HamSexy is even more lethargic than we are. I think a joint presence at Dayton would be hilarious though.

quote:

I'm writing a newsletter for my present radio club. This is some real work attempting to write content that no one is submitting or reading. I'm hoping to milk the SWL thread to write some bits 'n pieces about shortwave listening. I recently acquired a little tiny rinkydink "globe patrol" receiver, and have enjoyed the few minutes I spent listening to Radio Canada International , as well as some lunatic telling me that a catastrophe was brewing because it is going to get a bit colder and people won't be able to pay their heating bills.

I wish I'd gotten my antenna back up before the ice storms hit. I really miss DXing.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Usually when goons meet IRL, they try to out weird the general public. I don't want to try to out weird Dayton.

e: Look at the TFR 3-gun competition team; rear end. The Awful Shooting Squad wear T-shirts with bare assed men on the back. My acronym, BTW.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Skyssx posted:

Usually when goons meet IRL, they try to out weird the general public. I don't want to try to out weird Dayton.

e: Look at the TFR 3-gun competition team; rear end. The Awful Shooting Squad wear T-shirts with bare assed men on the back. My acronym, BTW.
I'm thinking something like this might be in order.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
Our T-shirts will need to have one of the following texts:

SAARS Goons never die, they just GET OUT

SAARS: We make radio Something Awful

SAARS: That sound you hear is Marconi spinning in his grave

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
Taking my Basic course with the http://nsarc.ca/ now... should be writing the exam shortly.

Any BC area hamgoons?

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
If I want to use a future radio as a base station, mobile auto, and pedestrian, are there any better options than the Yaesu FT-817 or FT-857? They seem like the best candidates I can find and want to make sure I'm not leaving anyone out. This would mostly be voice with a buddipole or a simple dipole on lower power, but I don't think I want to be limited to the 5 watts of the FT-817.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
You're not trolling hard enough.

SAARS: Broadcasting constantly on 3.890 MHz
(and you can't do anything about it)

SAARS: Now beaconing WIDE,WIDE,WIDE twice per minute!

SAARS: Just like your club, except with no pretensions of community service.

Skyssx fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 2, 2011

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Hummer Driving human being posted:

If I want to use a future radio as a base station, mobile auto, and pedestrian, are there any better options than the Yaesu FT-817 or FT-857? They seem like the best candidates I can find and want to make sure I'm not leaving anyone out. This would mostly be voice with a buddipole or a simple dipole on lower power, but I don't think I want to be limited to the 5 watts of the FT-817.

I am in a similar bind. https://www.k0bg.com is a good start for mobile operation, he likes the IC-7000 and TS-480SAT, but there's a LOT more than wiring up power and a hamstick. I'm building a K2 for portable and fixed station right now, then going from there.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

Hummer Driving human being posted:

If I want to use a future radio as a base station, mobile auto, and pedestrian, are there any better options than the Yaesu FT-817 or FT-857?
I would pick the 857 over the 817 to start with since you will want that power. The 817 is a radio you get as a second radio, or if you are a QRP head.

I got news for ya tho, after about a week of moving the radio between the house and the car, you are going to pick a location and leave it there because this is a pain in the rear end, and also lends itself to damage of the radio.

Do you really feel the need to work HF while driving? You may want to consider putting a basic dual band VHF/UHF mobile radio in the vehicle, and keeping the 857 on your desk at home, or to bring along when you go to a park.

For pedestrian use, you basically need an HT. Even if you don't plan to walk around with an HT much, they are incredibly useful because they tend to work as better scanners and have wider receive coverage then mobile radios.

So, if you want to use a radio in the car, house, and walking around, plan to buy three radios.

Edit: I started out with an HT first, then got my 857, then put a dual bander in the van. If I could do it again, I would reverse the order. Having a VHF/UHF radio in the van is awesome, and I probably enjoy talking on the repeaters more while I'm driving then sitting at home. Using an HT with the power and coax cables hanging off of it while you are driving is a pain in the rear end, plus the higher power of the mobile in the mobile is usefull.

AbsentMindedWelder fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 2, 2011

Xenpo
Feb 20, 2009
Finally making the jump to buy a radio. Looking at the FT-817ND and the VX-8DR. I want a radio for portable and satellite operations. I wouldn't mind digital as well. The ARPS functionality of the VX does intrigue me, is there any word on an updated FT-817ND?

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

AbsentMindedWelder posted:

For pedestrian use, you basically need an HT. Even if you don't plan to walk around with an HT much, they are incredibly useful because they tend to work as better scanners and have wider receive coverage then mobile radios.

Are there any real manpack options aside from trying to find a surplus military radio? The only radio I've seen much of in that category is the VX-1210 but there's not all that much about it either.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
The FT-817 and VX8 aren't remotely cross-shoppable. The FT-817ND is the updated version. The VX-8DR is the APRS radio to get if you need submersiblilty. Otherwise the VX-8GR or Kenwood TH-D72 are both the better option.

Manpack options are either the aforementioned FT-817ND, the Elecraft K2 or some other kit QRP radio, of which there are dozens. A military radio would really be a bad option here.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Don't "break" and keep the PTT keyed you goddamned fucktards! Just FYI, BTDUBS. Protip.

Skyssx fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 3, 2011

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 28, 2019

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
I love it. Make that same graphic for me with "screwed" or some other less vulgar word and I'm putting that up on the AG0ON QRZ page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 28, 2019