Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

All that lives lives forever.
I think Arri has the same problem as most other LED manufacturers: throw. Great light output at short distances, but the footcandles drop off quick at any distance over 6 feet.

I did find one company that amazingly enough had double the output of pretty much every other LED light: CreamSource. Australian company, I chatted up their rep last year at CineGear, REALLY nice gear and good quality. From what I could tell, they use dichromatic LED's, each sitting in it's own shiny reflector "cone".

Those Hive Lights are also pretty phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I figured I'd share my jury rigged timelapse slider setup.

String tied and taped to the screwdriver, spike tape holding down the trigger, and the tape on the drill just holds it level. I'd build a real rig if timelapse dolly shots became a thing for me, but this got the job done.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Tiresias posted:

I think Arri has the same problem as most other LED manufacturers: throw. Great light output at short distances, but the footcandles drop off quick at any distance over 6 feet.

I did find one company that amazingly enough had double the output of pretty much every other LED light: CreamSource. Australian company, I chatted up their rep last year at CineGear, REALLY nice gear and good quality. From what I could tell, they use dichromatic LED's, each sitting in it's own shiny reflector "cone".

Those Hive Lights are also pretty phenomenal.
I have really fallen for LED panels as fills, I'm using them more and more. Though I rarely use them as primaries, i.e. I will always use them to complement a barrage of 2k's, Kinos, Dedos (God but I love those little fuckers!) and whatever else I can slam into the scene, but the low power consumption/heat/consistency are great for fast shooting and quickly filling something in a very controlled manner. Plus I love LED panels that let me play with color temperature beyond gels, because I do love to mix me some color temperatures :)! The biggest downside is still the falloff so CreamSource sounds very interesting, thanks for the heads up.

A friend of mine was telling me about this new company doing some amazing things with mirrors, creating a huge amount of light out of a single, incredibly powerful, lamp just by reflecting it all over the place. I just wish I wasn't completely drunk when he was telling me about it because my memory has totally blanked on the details but it sounded amazing. You could light an entire night exterior with just a few small, but insanely focused and powerful lights, saving tremendously in budget and power consumption. Plus relighting is as simple as adjusting a mirror instead of dragging an army of 12k's around. Apparently the falloff on those lights is almost negligible up to a huge distance. Does this ring any bells?

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
Steadiman, what do you think about the MoVi? Will it endanger steadicam ops down the road?

https://vimeo.com/63297368

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
I can't see anything there that couldn't already be done with a gyro system. Cheaper rental, no second operator. It's a gimmick.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

BeavisNuke posted:

Steadiman, what do you think about the MoVi? Will it endanger steadicam ops down the road?

Definitely an interesting idea, and some cool shots in that demo reel. I hadn't seen it in action before so it was good to see. It really is just clever use of lightweight gyros, the biggest innovation they seem to have would be having three gyros run silent. It's basically a handheld Wescam-type system. It does appear to have several big downsides, biggest one being that it can't handle a lot of weight (not just because you have to handhold it but also because small gyros simply couldn't stabilize anything heavy). Also not entirely sure how you'd easily pan and tilt with it and what kind of power consumption it has. Having worked with gyros before, they are power hungry sons of bitches. They will suck down a big 24v battery in 15 minutes. They also take time to spin up and to stop spinning. I look forward to having a play with it so I can make an informed judgment (this is just assumptions on my part, could be wrong), however I don't think I'll be fearing for my day job quite yet :).

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Hey guys! If any of you are going to be at NAB this week in Las Vegas, please swing by the Angeniuex booth and say hello! I will be demoing their new 52-156mm zoomable Anamorphic Optimo lens on the new PRO Cine Live steadicam. The glass is fantastic, and I'll be flying it around the booth Monday-Wednesday. Swing on by, I'm the guy with the mustache!

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

exp0n fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 30, 2014

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

ogopogo posted:

Hey guys! If any of you are going to be at NAB this week in Las Vegas, please swing by the Angeniuex booth and say hello! I will be demoing their new 52-156mm zoomable Anamorphic Optimo lens on the new PRO Cine Live steadicam. The glass is fantastic, and I'll be flying it around the booth Monday-Wednesday. Swing on by, I'm the guy with the mustache!
Bummed I can't make it this year, gonna miss hitting Vegas hard. That lens sounds awesome though! How much does it weigh? Have fun with your mustache!!

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
Posting this here since this is the most active thread:

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/04/blackmagic-4k-s35-global-shutter-camera-price-cost/

I don't know how they can do this. It's like the company has made some sort of deal with the devil. I think I will pre-order the compact cinema camera.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Does it have swappable batteries yet? also no PL and still terrible form factor/function. 4K raw is kinda useless if the camera isn't usable on set. And why the need to shoot raw on something so cheapie and un-versatile? Feels more like a bullet point than a feature. Sure it's cheap but what are you really getting for it that's useful outside of hobbyism?
:goonsay:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah, they haven't really addressed any of the huge issues the first version has. I'd love to try one out, but it seems like such a weird product, like someone slapped a 4/3 mount on a iPad.

EDIT: That new $1000 Black Magic mini thing has me pretty interested if it can take advantage of the Metabones Speedboosters eventually. Does anybody here have any insider info about an upcoming Speedbooster 4/3 version?

EDIT2: From metabones site: The m4/3 version also reduces focal length by a 0.71x factor. So, the combined focal length multiplier of a m4/3 camera and Speed Booster is 1.4x. (2x from camera x 0.71x from Speed Booster.) The optics are optimized for the smaller sensor size.

Can someone clarify this for me? I know that my t2i is a 0.6 crop, so to figure out a 14mm full frame lens 14x1.6 = 22.5mm. Is this site saying that to figure out the focal length of a 14mm Nikon lens in a hypothetical 4/3 speedbooster + full frame lens the equation would be 14x1.4=19.6mm?

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 8, 2013

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Pocket seems fun. Basically the digi bolex at a 3rd of the price but with terrible black magic build quality and unreliability.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

SquareDog posted:

Does it have swappable batteries yet? also no PL and still terrible form factor/function. 4K raw is kinda useless if the camera isn't usable on set. And why the need to shoot raw on something so cheapie and un-versatile? Feels more like a bullet point than a feature. Sure it's cheap but what are you really getting for it that's useful outside of hobbyism?
:goonsay:

Eh, it has global shutter, I can see that being useful on indie productions that have a couple of shots with whip pans they need to take care of.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
I have a BMCC EF and use it for professional stuff. I think its quirks have been amplified by internet forums. When you actually shoot with it and then look at the image afterwards you are blown away. In this price range, for this image, I would put up with a lot more.

I don't know much about M4/3 glass, can you guys recommend some reasonably priced zooms with IS?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I am another BMCC owner and I have also been very happy with it despite its design quirks. I am using it for my own self financed project not in a pro setting. I have also preordered the BMPC4K already just to save my place in line. No real dissatisfaction with my current camera.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah I'm pretty happy with the BMCC so far despite it's design quirks. It's actually very easy to shoot with, and the footage looks great even if you're shooting ProRes. I don't know that I'd upgrade to the S35 version since global shutter isn't very important for me and I want that extra stop of latitude, but the pocket version sounds interesting. Too bad no PL mount, I'd just sell every camera I have and get the S16 version with an Angenieux zoom if that was an option.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

The lack of PL mount option is pretty puzzling. I'm sure they could put out a "pro" model that has a more production-friendly form factor, interchangeable lens mounts and a V-mount battery system for under $10K if they tried.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
So the pocket cam has a removable battery but the 4K one does not?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

So the pocket cam has a removable battery but the 4K one does not?

Probably a battery life issue. That pocket cam is TINY for what it shoots, it's like a flip cam on steroids. If the battery was internal I bet you'd be plugging it in every 30 minutes, but the 2K and 4K have bigger batteries so it's not as big an issue.

That's just my guess, still seems silly not to add a removable battery to the 4K even if it were a business decision to sell more accessories.

VVV EDIT VVV: That's my point, if the larger battery is going that quickly in the bigger models, the smaller one in the Pocket cam is going to die comically fast, even with the smaller screen.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 9, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The regular BMCC battery doesn't really last that long since it's powering a gigantic LCD screen the entire time.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Can we talk about how hundreds of people are ordering the Red Dragon sensor upgrade sight unseen? There isn't any footage of it on the internet but that isn't stopping it from being ordered. Some cameras have had it for over a day and there still isn't any footage to be found online. I mean it's probably going to look good but to me it screams that to the consumers it's more about brand loyalty and staying on top of the hardware game than it is about carefully weighing what's best and appropriate. Then again most of those people have no business owning a camera anyway, that is to say it should be rented and not bought.

EDIT: typo

SquareDog fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 10, 2013

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I thought they were just taking pre-orders now and it was going to be available in July. They said they hadn't even finished the color science for the new sensor yet.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
NOPE, they're changing them in the freaking NAB booth while-U-wait.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?97869-NAB13-Dragon-Sensor-Upgrade-Program-begins

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Ah. Well, there's your culprit - the people getting the upgrades now are the same people who put down deposits for yet-to-be finished Red gear sight unseen.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Any recommendations for babby's first camera? I'm an actress and I've never filmed anything before in my life (aside from home movies and the like on my iPhone and digital camera of questionable quality). In the immediate future I need something that will be good enough for self-taping auditions and things to put on Youtube to show industry professionals who want to see some sort of video presence for myself online, but provided I have the ability to shoot things myself that don't look terrible I'd like to experiment with potentially making my own (very) short films. I'm looking for the best intersection possible between price, quality, durability and "longevity"--as in, I won't want/need to upgrade within the next few years. I'd give you a price range, but I'm not even sure what I'm looking at for that basic level of quality. Pointing me to a list or a forum or something else on the subject is fine, but I wanted to know if anyone in here had any specific recommendations. Thoughts?

Similarly, is there a good (free) resource for tips/instructions for beginning filmmakers? Things I should know? Mistakes I should avoid?

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Find a class or a seminar on lighting. For your purposes a decent 3 point lighting set up is going to serve you more than any specific camera. It will allow you a bit more control with tone and theme and allow you to show off whether or not you have the goods. Camera is not going to make or break an audition or a Youtube channel. If fidelity were a concern- there would be no Youtube, just more cable channels delivered via internet.

TheBigBad fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 10, 2013

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Agreed - lighting is going to be more important than camera by about 1000x. Get a cheap fluorescent softbox kit for a couple hundred bucks and you can shoot on an iPhone if you like.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Chitin posted:

Agreed - lighting is going to be more important than camera by about 1000x. Get a cheap fluorescent softbox kit for a couple hundred bucks and you can shoot on an iPhone if you like.

Or just use a nice window and a bounce board.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Or just use a nice window and a bounce board.

I tend to think starting from zero it's going to be easier to have the flexibility of actual lights you can move around and not have to worry about time of day etc etc but yes, you're right.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Just getting a Flip camera would be the easiest thing, it's fully automatic and inexpensive. But if you really want to start learning camera theory then the cheapest route is to get a Canon T2i (or similar), the package that comes with a zoom lens. After that you can shell out just another $100 and get a 50mm f/1.8 lens, it'll be able to shoot in dark environments when the zoom can't. It also takes great stills, in fact, that what it's really made for!

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
Testing the phantom quadrocopter with a gopro. Filmconvert for color grading. I'm happy with this level of smoothness but I have to shoot at 60p or I still get jello. I ordered this to see if I can get it jello-free at 24fps - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261198086765&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGtq-zCVonc&hd=1

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

I saw on Twitter Philip Bloom was posting about a thing called an OmniRig which is much like the Movi, except from as far as I can tell, the jello is much much much worse. http://vimeo.com/63542041 Granted, this is the first vid I've seen from it, but I don't think that particular shot did well to show it off. Major warp stabilizer tells throughout. I won't be too critical until I see more footage from it though.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

BeavisNuke posted:

Testing the phantom quadrocopter with a gopro. Filmconvert for color grading. I'm happy with this level of smoothness but I have to shoot at 60p or I still get jello. I ordered this to see if I can get it jello-free at 24fps - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261198086765&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGtq-zCVonc&hd=1

That thing looks so awesome. Is it really $650 with a gimbal?

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

That thing looks so awesome. Is it really $650 with a gimbal?

There's no gimbal at all. I am basically relying on piloting skills, wind speed, and warp stabilizer to smooth it out. I hope eventually someone makes a cheap gimbal for it.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

BeavisNuke posted:

Bringing this back up because I've learned more things about it and my Facebook inbox has been overwhelmed with messages of people telling me about it over the last week. It's driving me up the wall! Seems like everyone wants to let me know about this for some reason, and a lot of people seem to somehow draw the conclusion this will kill off Steadicam. Also just found out the things costs about $15.000! Thought it'd be a lot cheaper. I am increasingly underwhelmed. They hide away the second operator in their promos but doing remote pan/tilt on a free floating system sounds like a nightmare of coordination (which you can tell with some of the framing/headroom issues in their reel) and having such an insanely high cost system for such a low-end market seems like shooting yourself in the foot. Definitely points for trying to innovate but I do not see this thing taking off at all. Sure, they can add bigger gyros for bigger cameras but by then it won't be hand-holdable anymore and soon you'll need a sort of body mount to carry it and then, before you know it, you have basically a Steadicam anyway. It also can't really get much cheaper since gyros are ridiculously expensive and that seems to be the biggest cost factor here.

So the conclusion is that, even after 35 years, Steadicam is still the best idea we've had so far with regard to camera stabilization. Quite impressive when you think about it, considering that todays Steadicams(and rip-offs) still work exactly the same way as the very first Steadicam :). The only changes have really been in operator-friendliness and ease of use. For the price of this machine you can buy a low end Steadicam that will give you much more freedom, fly heavier cameras, doesn't need a second guy to control, and you will still have money left over to get trained in it.

Steadiman fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 13, 2013

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
What do you think about a cheap chinese steadicam like this as opposed to a blackbird stabilizer or merlin? They actually get pretty good reviews.

http://stephendiaz.com/post/38334498045/ordered-one-of-these-wieldy-steadicam-vests-from#.UWlNur_N78s

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

BeavisNuke posted:

What do you think about a cheap chinese steadicam like this as opposed to a blackbird stabilizer or merlin? They actually get pretty good reviews.

http://stephendiaz.com/post/38334498045/ordered-one-of-these-wieldy-steadicam-vests-from#.UWlNur_N78s
Honestly, I don't think I am the best guy to ask about this. I would not work with that at all. I don't want to come across as elitist, but it's just not my market so I couldn't tell you if it was worth it objectively. I've tried the Chinese one at IBC last year and thought it was a complete piece of crap. They basically copied a Steadicam from pictures (since it is Chinese they can infringe on patents willy-nilly, which they do with this particular rig) and forgot to actually engineer it properly. It works...sort of. And while it does stabilize, you will quickly find yourself fighting the gear if you try to work shows with it. Equipment should not get in the way of the shot in my opinion.

However I should qualify that with the fact that I am used to, and only work with, high end equipment and, obviously, these knock-offs could never compete with that (which makes sense since that is not the market they go for so that is not what they are trying to do). I highly suggest finding some way to try this before buying, be it a tradeshow or finding a distributor. You can blind-purchase a genuine Steadicam, or any other high end copy like PRO or MK-V, because that equipment is trustworthy and built to last. But you pay a lot for that trust. I would never blind-purchase something like this without trying it. It may be cheap, relatively, but it's still a bunch of money and I am not certain if going cheap is a smart idea when you are relying on it to carry an expensive camera and make those fabulous shots on an insanely tight deadline.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

BeavisNuke posted:

Only reason I could imagine to buy this is for a wicked Aliens Marine smartgun halloween costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Mozzie posted:

Only reason I could imagine to buy this is for a wicked Aliens Marine smartgun halloween costume.

Again, Steadicam only. Hua.